• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did the media hype up corona too much?

• Yes

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 196 76.9%
  • No but they didn’t help the situation

Votes: 49 19.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
People are getting sick and dying, with hospitals filled to the fucking brim and running out of supplies to take care of everyone. What exactly are they overplaying here?

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
A) This shit isn't over

B) It's not as bad as feared because we did shit about it. The problem with public health initiatives is that the benefits are invisible if it's done right. People became complacent about initiatives like vaccines because they have no idea of a world without them.

Oct 25, 2017
America's death toll is completely fucked because people didn't take it seriously, and conspiracies like this make it worse.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I know a few smart colleagues/friends I highly respected on a professional level who later reveal that they are fans of *insert horrible human being*, listen to *insert terrible brainwashing podcast*, or is *surprisingly flawed in this aspect of their perception of the world*

It happens.

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Soon enough there will be more Americans dead than compared to the entire Vietnam war. And this doesn't include the rest of the world. Just think about that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
what does "no but they didnt help the situation" mean in the poll?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and we're going to be hearing from idiots for years not realizing this. "See it wasn't that bad, we didn't have to quarantine."

I'm seeing it a bit here in Norway. We have 89 deaths and some people want to re-open everything because that's nothing compared to the flu.
No shit, great logic! The numbers would be much worse if we hadn't done anything. Luckily, these idiots are a minority.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I think some are trapped in the denial stage, and anything threatening their denial is the enemy.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think the media promote fear and panic when reporting on the virus. I think it gets the attention it deserves but I think at some point it can become unhealthy with how some people get trapped in the news cycle.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean people are out there who are saying the media overhyped the response. I think it's worth a discussion.

You did not frame the thread in a positive way.

You could have said something like "Some people believe that covid-19 was over-hyped. Have they been proven wrong?" Instead you start from the (already disproven) position that it was over-hyped. Imagine asking "Did the allies hype up the Axis Powers too much? Some people say Germany and Japan weren't that big a deal, I think it's worth discussion," and you can see why people are reacting to your thread the way they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.