• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not american but i just wanted to say that my high school was heaven, it was roughly 22 acres which i guess may not sound much considering the size of schools you do dare, but my school was very tiny and there was only a main building with 8 rooms (all of which you accessed from "outside") and there were 3 classrooms which you had to walk a bit to access, everything else was just pure greenery and sports stuff and the like (Which werent used during the day apart from soccer stuff).

I miss it somedays, there was just a ridiculous sense of freedom and "nature", there were days where we just walk through it just trying to find something.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Elementary School = 1 classroom, 1 teacher, 1 building
High School = multiple teachers, multiple classrooms, 1 building
University = multiple teachers, multiple classrooms, multiple buildings, 1 campus
PhD/Post-doctoral Fellowships = 1+ advisor, multiple classrooms, multiple buildings, multiple campuses (to avoid academic in-breeding, present at conferences, and for visiting scholarship duties)

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
All in a single building for elementary, middle, and high school. Though the Christian school i attended for pre-school and kindergarten was two buildings.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
From UK - infants and primary school where one building each but secondary was 6 buildings - probably cause it was an old building that had to expand to accommodate a higher intake and it would've been easier to build new blocks than expand the main building

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
My HS covered a city block they gave us 5mins to get from class to class..

Edit: give you an idea how big my HS was...
ehallkqjgk.jpg

Also i lived on on Erasmus Street 4 blocks away...

Last edited:

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
All of mine were one building, but I attended speech meets all over the place and there were several high schools with multiple buildings.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My elementary schools were all one building as far as the main structures went but they had "portables", basically single classroom expansions nearby. My high school was sort of multiple buildings but they were connected by having the walkways having overhead covers for rain.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I lived in Cali, all my school were multi building with outside halls. When I moved to Midwest, they were all inside. It gets cold af here, doesn't make sense to have outside halls

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I went to elementary school in San Jose, I remember all the schools including high school had multiple buildings. Then we moved to Denver and all the schools are one large building. I always assumed it was due to the climate differences. It would be a pain in the ass to go from class to class with snow on the ground.

Oct 25, 2017
All my elementary schools were 1 building,
My middle school was a 1920's building that had a billion wings added, a separate gym building, loads of classes under the football stadium and about 20+ classes in trailers around back.
(a sinkhole opened up under the juniorhigh so the had to pack a large group of 8th graders into an already outdated and overcrowded middle while the 9th got packed into the crowded and outdated highschool 4ish years before the new one opened)
Hewitt-Trussville_High_School_%281925_building%29.jpg

both highschools were 1 large building

Funny enough that extremely outdated and overcrowded middleschool was the one I liked the most.
shit was crazy though, you couldn't get out of your class sections between bells it was so crowded in the halls.
literally nobody ever used their lockers because of that either I probably used mine 5ish times in the 3 years I was there, just carried all our stuff to all our classes.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My elementary school sorta was. It was multiple smaller buildings connected by overhangs and halls.

My Middle School was one big building with some small temporary buildings and a standalone gym

My highschool was a weird futuristic prison looking thing...

And also the Reaver planet
2127d3705354a4a3b8459b549d2cbfda.jpg

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
My secondary school was one small building built during WW2 lol. There was like less than 200 people in the whole school.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
All my schools were one building. I guess my elementary had the infirmary in a small separate building and the computer class was in a basement only reachable from the outside, but only that and later schools had everything in one building.

Also, no lockers. In elementary we just hanged our jackets/PE bags in front of the classrooms (they were assigned to grades, not subjects) and later there were dedicated attended cloakrooms.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Mine all had separate buildings, but the high school my siblings went to was all just one building with no windows.

It was odd.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
More or less. Very small town, the Highschool and Elementary were seperate buildings with the same parking lot. The gym was a seperate building in the same place. There was a classroom in the gym building and junior high moved back and forth between all three buildings.

Oct 25, 2017
My senior year of high school my school was going under massive remodeling and we had like 36 portables outside, we called it a portable city

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
All one big building, except gym in elementary school was in a separate building and mostly took place outside. Since then though, I believe that school now has one connected to the main building.

synapsidal

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast here. Elementary and Middle school were single buildings w/modular extensions, High School was one big building with a fully connected extension building instead of mods.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Most of the schools I went to were mostly one large building with an additional extension classroom. The two elementary schools I went to had the classrooms that couldn't fit in the main building in small portables outside. Middle school had an extension building that housed woodworking/metalworking classes and the detention room. High school was the only one with a single large building.

Also lockers were only a thing in middle school and high school. 1st elementary school had designated hooks in the halls, though 6th graders did get lockers, 2nd elementary school had a designated area in each classroom which was usually a room that led outside to the playground.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, nope. I grew up in the suburbs of Houston. My high school alone had 4000+ kids at one point (it has around 2700 now because they've built enough new high schools to somewhat alleviate the stress now).

The school district is currently up to 91 campuses, and it's not even close to being the largest in the area.

Last edited:

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Mope. Grade, middle and high were all seperate buildings, though on the same general campus.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've always wanted to answer this, but no, that's not how any of the schools are in my area. It's not like on TV. The schools here have multiple buildings and no lockers.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
All of my primary schools were multi-winged, single structures. Like, wings would branch out from one another in parts of the buildings but I never had to go outside to get from one wing to the next.

I didn't have a "campus" layout until college/university.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
My high school was so big it had two separate campuses and it was a five minute walk between them.

Sucked when you had class in one, then had to go to the other one and then back to the first one.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
My first elementary school was one building, pretty much like you would see in movies. There were no lockers though.

My second elementary school however had one larger building but then they had like 3 smaller outside trailers? That's what they pretty much looked like lol which taught grades 4-6 or so.

My high school was just one large building, but it was such a terrible design, we had NO windows at all aside from the lunch room. When the school was built the designer and planners thought that windows would harm people being taught and make them daydream/lose focus, so they decided to build it without any windows at all. We had lockers in it, but they were NOT like the lockers you see in movies that go from like the ground all the way up, they were like "shoe box" size lockers, you could fit a few books in them and not much else. However you had to use them, unless you wanted to carry like 20lbs worth of books everywhere.

Last edited:

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
All of my primary schools were multi-winged, single structures. Like, wings would branch out from one another in parts of the buildings but I never had to go outside to get from one wing to the next.

I didn't have a "campus" layout until college/university.
This is how I would describe my elementary/middle/high school. They were all "single" buildings but weren't like a Walmart looking box shape.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Both schools started their lives as single buildings but because of population increases they both added portables outside the main building. You can see a bit of the inside of my HS in this Rush video.

EDIT: I just looked up a Google map of my elementary school and they've added onto the main building and gotten rid of almost all of the portables.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
My jr. high had acouple classrooms separated from the main building, but those were for specialty classes.

My elementary and high school were both single buildings.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1st-5th grade was all in one building (though I went to 3 different schools during this period that all shared this characteristic). 6th-8th were in trailers separate from from the main building (4th school). 9th-12th grade was an actual campus with 4 different buildings for class.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I always assumed this just had to do with climate. Like in the midwest having an outdoor school would mean 20 minutes of putting on snowgear between each class for half the year.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
My schools were like a mini campus, I gew up watching sitcoms and always wanted to be in a school like featured in them, but never did.

Oct 27, 2017
My elementary school was one building and I sat in the same chair for 8 years. It was terrible. My high school was several ancient buildings that had (still has?) a major asbestos problem. One of the wings had such a bad graffiti and flooding problem that it eventually got torn down.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Central California my elementary, jr high and high school were spread out campuses. Each class was it's own building.

I always assumed this just had to do with climate. Like in the midwest having an outdoor school would mean 20 minutes of putting on snowgear between each class for half the year.

Yeah that's what I think as well. It's never really cold here in central/socal so everything is more open. Can't really do that in a place that gets a lot of snow.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Elementary school - outside campus
Middle school - one three story building with a few trailers outside for some classes
High School - outside campus with trailers