• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Growing up I was always very confused in regards to how schools were depicted. They were always one large building, with actual hallways and classrooms just being rooms. Because in my area, most schools consist of land outside with small classroom buildings around campus, as opposed to the school being one large building. We never really had lockers until high school (which most people didn't even use), and the schools didn't look anything like the ones in movies/TV shows. I only just now realized that I have no idea how common this is. Searching on Google doesn't really seem to turn up much because when I search "indoors vs. outdoors" schools, most of the results are related to teaching outside (which didn't happen, the classes were taught inside small classroom buildings).

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
my school was one big building, however there were these trailers (?) outside that served as temporary classrooms

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Might be regional. When I lived in the southwest, it was all outdoor like you describe. When I moved to the east coast, it was all the one big building style.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
nope, we had a campus that housed many buildings. In high school for instance the main building, performing arts building, gym, agriculture building, and auto shop building were all separate.

Attended Meridian High School in Meridian, Idaho.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a private school for three years in 6th to 8th grade that didn't have a central facility big enough to host all the classrooms so there were other buildings around the campus that we would have art or science classes in.

The public schools I went to were all one building.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Nope. K-12 were all on an outdoor campus setup. My middle and high schools both felt like little college campuses.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Elementary, Intermediate and Middle were all one building.

High school had a separate building just for 9th grade called "The Ninth Grade Center".

Then the main high school building was composed of two buildings that were attached with a middle road path for school buses and then a separate third building behind it called the "Annex" building which was where the art/language courses were.

Looking back....I kinda wish I was still in high school - hated it for the most part but enjoyed it in the latter years.

Funny how time flies, your thoughts change when you look back....damn nostalgia.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Mine were always one big building up until college. The thing that always confused me in movies and shows as a kid were when they had outdoor lockers because they filmed at schools in LA.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All schools I've been to were campuses. Multiple buildings. Lakes... one even had a golf course.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, where did you grow up that had a campus for public schooling?

Anyways, yea my elementary, middle school and highschool, all one big building each. And people used their lockers

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
My elementary, middle, and high school all had multiple buildings connected by covered walkways. All of them had portables too because there were so many students and not enough classrooms.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Public schools. They were all single buildings, with highschool being particularly sprawling and labyrinthine. Winter and other inclement weather makes walking between buildings a poor option where I grew up.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My high school had one large main building, but there was a smaller building to the side where they held woodshop and some art classes.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Elementary school, technically yes...but there was an annex building that held gifted and talented kids/classes in 4th and 5th grade.

JHS, yes.

HS, no.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
In the Midwest, elementary, middle school, and high school were each one building.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Lol, where did you grow up that had a campus for public schooling?

Anyways, yea my elementary, middle school and highschool, all one big building each. And people used their lockers
That's how schools are in CA. They're usually large sprawling outdoor campus setups. My HS was/is laid out just like a college campus - it had different quads to hang out in and everything.

Last edited:

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
My elementary and middle school were one big building but the high school was divided into 10 or 12 buildings that were close to each other but distinct. It was like a community college. I really enjoyed it even though in the winter it sucked a bit with ice

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, every school I've been to was just one big building. Growing up I thought multiple building schools were just a tv thing, or for rich people.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
My public elementary school happened to have two buildings, but generally all elementary schools and high schools in my area were all one big building.

Dec 11, 2017
This comes down to how much you have to worry about snow. The idea of having lockers outside is not practical in the Midwest, but everyone I know from California experienced it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
All of my schools were large buildings with maybe a breezeway to connect to the cafeteria and the gym and stuff but always ended up with the highest grade level having trailer type class rooms outside because there weren't enough rooms in elementary and middle.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Elementary, Middle, and High School were all their own buildings.

Now we're I went it's all one campus so K-12 is all in the same spot. Only thing left is the gym and football field from the old high school.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I live in AZ and my jr high and high school was a big main building with a bunch of other smaller building surrounding it. elementary school was just a bunch of smaller buildings.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Mostly large central buildings that had wings added on to them over time. But all connected by indoor hallways, none of that odd outdoor campus style schools which predominate in SoCal and other temperate climes.

Though my high school was right next to another high school, so the gym/sports fields/auditorium were buildings that were shared between the two, and there was a large open quad in the middle. But once you went inside school, you stayed inside that area, cause otherwise people were always sneaking off to get fast food and goof around across the street.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was born and raised in SoCal. The schools I went to were all campuses. Multiple buildings. In High School, most of the buildings were two stories, except for one that had three stories.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Never been to a school that was one building. The biggest building in the schools were either the gym or the cafeteria, but everything else was spread out. I don't know of any public schools in the bay area that have one building

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nope, but my elementary school was built in the 50's. After I left elementary school, they built a new one that was indeed one big building. My highschool was actually two campuses that you had to be bused in between, if your next class was on the "other campus" you'd be allowed to leave your current class 15 minutes early (our classes were hour long) so you could catch the bus to the next campus. Each campus was multiple buildings, you had to walk outside to get between classes even if you stayed on the same campus. They tore it all down a few years ago and built a new large combined one.

I went to middle school at Johnson Space Center, which is literally a NASA campus of multiple buildings.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Elementary was two large buildings connected together with 4 small "portables" a short distance away on the field. Middle School was 1 large building with a few "portables". High School was one very large building with no "portables".

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My rural school was but in town there were separate elementary, junior high, and high schools.

Oct 28, 2017
My secondary school had an annex building just for maths, and you sure as hell didn't want your last class to happen there instead of the main building. The other local school had a bitter rivalry with mine and the annex exit was closer to it than the regular ones, so you'd always end up in fights with kids from that school because ugg ugg territorial caveman shit.

The back doors of the main building were always locked up during final classes so you couldn't get into the main building to go through the front door exits. Always had to go the gauntlet of someone possibly having a bar of soap in a sock to whack you over the head with.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
My Elementary through Juinor High buildings were all a central hub where the offices and cafeteria were with each grade getting a spoke off of that. The only buildings not connected were the gym/music buildings. High School when I was there was a bunch of different buildings all spread out. Every subject had it's own building. Since then they've destroyed most of those buildings and replaced it all with the one big building. It looks really bland imo, the older buildings were all unique and had their own vibe. I guess the kids don't have to walk as far though. Sometimes if your next class was on the other side of campus you'd have to jog to not be late.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
All my schools have always been separated buildings.

Cooley Ranch Elementary
Terrace Hills Middle School
Diamond Ranch High School (The school from the movie Orange County)

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to a private HS in the northeast. Most of the classrooms were in one building. The cafeteria, gyms, and science classrooms in another building, and art classrooms/ auditorium in another building.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
The elementary school I went to had 4 or 5 big buildings that housed classrooms for each grade generally.