• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Characters that you don't use because you have better solutions are a Final Fantasy tradition.

4HJzKkr.png

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
...Kimahri is an All-rounder, so he specializes naturally with NONE of these at the start. And since nobody gives everyone a turn in every battle so they all get AP, and aren't told they should do so, he never gets Sphere Levels, and never levels up.

...Yes, nobody would be crazy enough to give everyone a turn in every battle they come across. ....Maybe I did that.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Kimahri's pretty damn useful for the early Steal/Lv. 3 keysphere/Mighty Guard stuff mentioned in this thread, but it's also worth mentioning that, pre-Celestial Weapons, he also has a bunch of *really* nice (and varied) weapon drops from chests. Much of his stuff is fairly standard attack+X% and Piercing, so basically Auron's weapon drops, but he also gets some pretty great magic-user weapons IIRC.

That said, if they ever actually remake FFX, I hope they either make Blue Magic way more offensively powerful like the other limits, or at least make Jump an actual turn-delayed classic Jump command that you can use to avoid big AoE attacks.

Nov 1, 2017
It's not like FFX is capable of aggravating the player with boss fights by making a certain boss with zombie status afflictions come after a ten-minute, unskippable cutscene!

I sometimes still have vietnam style flashbacks to that god damned boss fight. I awake screaming in the night drenched in sweat. I still have a nervous eye twitch to this day.
So many fucking failed attempts. So many cups of tea or snacks i went to go make while waiting for that stupid cutscene to end.

If i was a game reviewer and a game pulled the "unskipabble cutscene in front of big difficulty spike" thing i would automatically give it a 0/10.

Jan 11, 2018
It sucks that he doesn't really get his own skill tree like the other characters do. Assuming you're not using the Expert Sphere Grid, there is very little incentive to think of him as anything but an inferior back-up to another character. It doesn't help that he's probably the least interesting character in your party. Like, Sazh might be the worst character in FFXIII stat wise but at least sort of makes up for it by being one of the best actual characters plot wise.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I remember when I was younger I used one of those Action Replay things to cheat in FFX. I'm not even sure why since I had already beaten it before. But anyway, when you fight Seymour for the first time Kimahri is forced into battle and it caused a 100% crash and I remember feeling really pissed off about it. Ever since then I just have this sort of resentment towards him, despite the fact the crash might not have anything to do with him. Just the fact it always crashed at the same point when he was forced into the party with Yuna and Tidus and that I never normally use him was enough to put me off him haha.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Jokes on you OP, cause I made sure to rotate each character into every battle so they all got max xp

*cackles*

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Gau,Quistis,Quina,Kimahri..i see a pattern there.
Oh yeah,blue magic is kinda not worth the hassle except for a few specific moments that only expert players find useful(for speedrunning,low level runs or something like that).

Strago is FF6's Kimahri equivalent. Off the top of my head, I can't think of an equivalent for Gau in any other FF game. And blue magic is great in games like FF5 and FF7 where you actually get access to it early and it's not locked behind a Limit Break.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Kimahri's name has been misspelled consistently in this thread. Thought it was a meme when it was misspelled two different ways in the OP alone.

Anyway, he's the blu mage, if you ignore him he will suck, but if you spend time to learn skills he will rock.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Imo the hate for Kimahri is overblown.

I used him as part of my main party the first time I played FFX and had no trouble clearing the game at all. Yes, he may not be the most efficient character in terms of "win the game" but I really liked him, so fuck all that lol

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Kimahri is never brought up when FFX becomes a topic. I was suprised when he showed up as a party member and yeah, I never used him.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while, but iirc, unless you waste tens of hours replacing his sphere grid, he's objectively the worst character on the roster for post-game stuff. For the main game, it mostly doesn't matter who you play. I just don't like Kimahri.