• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm relatively late to the FF franchise, but the first one I really played was FFX on vita.

I enjoyed it, but there was one part that really stood out to me and that was this fight where you are forced to use Kimarhi

FFX-Biran-and-Yenke-Boss-Guide-1.jpg

Khimari is the character in FFX who really doesn't have a clear purpose in FFX in terms of its battles.

Want to do damage? Use Tidus or Auron
Want to heal? Use Yuna
Flying enemy? Use Wakka
Machina enemy? Use Rikku
Element weakness? Use Lulu

and then there is Kimarhi

Whose gimmick revolved around enemy skill.

He was such an outlier and didn't seem viable so I never used him. Then this fight happens midway through the game where you are only allowed to use Kimarhi. And it sucks. Looking into it, I've seen a good amount of posts of people complaining about this fight being a roadblock because they also never used Kimarhi. So I genuinely wonder, did the devs know Kimarhi wouldn't be picked as much which is why he has a mandatory "you can only use him fight?"

I know Yuna has them too, but she is able to use Aeons. Kimarhi on the other hand doesn't have much.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Khimaris purpose is to get steal so he can steal lvl 3 sphere keys and unlock the insanity that is auron wakka tidus

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kimarhi mostly sucks, but he does get really powerful Enemy Skill later in the game at least.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Not using Kimahri to steal early and get sphere keys is a mistake many make.

Also, his narrative gives him a good reason to have a solo fight, so why create a roadblock in the first place?

It's not like FFX is capable of aggravating the player with boss fights by making a certain boss with zombie status afflictions come after a ten-minute, unskippable cutscene!

But Rikku starts with steal. Does Kimarhi get better steal?

Do you not remember the whole dozen hours where she's not part of the party at the beginning of the game?

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Definite weak link in the party, both how he's used in battle and more importantly, personality-wise.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was that one of his default skills? I genuinely don't remember, and just remember going to grind so Kimarhi could do that fight.

He learned from the fight in your OP! It takes a long time unfortunetely but it's really usefull. There's also Nova which he learns from Ultima weapon, it's also a really late blue magic but at least the effects are beautiful lol

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I didn't use him til I realized he could be a second black mage. It's Yuna I didn't use. Summons are overrated.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? That fight scales to your Kimahri's stats, if Kimahri was never levelled, Biran and Yenke wil also be comparative.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
He learned from the fight in your OP! It takes a long time unfortunetely but it's really usefull. There's also Nova which he learns from Ultima weapon, it's also a really late blue magic but at least the effects are beautiful lol

Oh, I just remember I benched him again after this fight.

I'm pretty sure that fight scales to Kimahri's stats

I remember constantly getting my ass beat by this fight, which is why I had to grind. This fight and the Seymour wedding fight.

I didn't use him til I realized he could be a second black mage. It's Yuna I didn't use. Summons are overrated.

I mostly used Yuna as a dedicated healer.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
Not using Kimahri to steal early and get sphere keys is a mistake many make.

Also, his narrative gives him a good reason to have a solo fight, so why create a roadblock in the first place?

It's not like FFX is capable of aggravating the player with boss fights by making a certain boss with zombie status afflictions come after a ten-minute, unskippable cutscene!

Do you not remember the whole dozen hours where she's not part of the party at the beginning of the game?

I guess I made this mistake.

Tidus, Auron and Wakka basically one shot everything and Lulu would kill anything with magic weaknesses.

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
All FFX characters become useless once you realize that Rikku has that 9999-hits ultra or super or whatever move.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If you haven't used khimari with black mage abilities (he is as strong as Lulu), then youve played him wrong. IMO. I love using him and auron together. for heavy crit damage magic and physical.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Since you never really need to use Kimahri and the 1 vs 1 fight isn't overly hard, I've found the best thing to do with him is to stockpile sphere grid levels until you have teleport spheres, and then jump around the best parts of other characters' sphere grids turning him into an amazing character.

If you don't want to be that fancy, just make him a 2nd Lulu or Auron, maybe grabbing Steal on the way.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
See, the issue wasn't Kimahri himself, it's that the game was built to have encounters depend on different characters specializing in different needs, Elemental magic, Ranged hits, Speed, Armor...

...Kimahri is an All-rounder, so he specializes naturally with NONE of these at the start. And since nobody gives everyone a turn in every battle so they all get AP, and aren't told they should do so, he never gets Sphere Levels, and never levels up.

Which is a shame, because with Mighty Guard he becomes one of the best characters to use for their overdrive, since if you set him up right or get his Celestial Weapon early enough, he can be the best buffer in the party, while also Stealing much, MUCH earlier then you get Rikku, and effectively be lead around to different character paths to become a great all rounded badass.

The major problem is, by the time people realize what they can do with Kimahri, they can instead do it to the rest of the party as they naturally reach the end of their grids and branch out into each others. Tidus, Wakka and Auron stack each others physical stats together to become unstoppably powerful, Yuna and Lulu learn each others best spells, and Rikku goes into Tidus's grid and gets like three times the turns of every other character.

Kimahri should be used to steal from enemies so he can be funneled in and out of the active party to get AP, and developed so as to gain a wealth of generally useful skills, so he can provide a solid rock for the rest of the party to depend on when neccessary.

I like replaying the game on the Expert Sphere grid so he and Yuna can both learn steal, as well as have Yuna and Lulu switch places on the grid for fun, especially considering how much evasion Lulu has and how much more Magic Yuna naturally has, they ironically work well on each others paths!

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Gau,Quistis,Quina,Kimahri..i see a pattern there.
Oh yeah,blue magic is kinda not worth the hassle except for a few specific moments that only expert players find useful(for speedrunning,low level runs or something like that).

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
The biggest mistake with kimahri is locking his blue magic abilities behind the overdrive/limit break mechanic (I can't remember the exact name). But imagine if lulu had to limit break to cast fire.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I use him but I have this weird thing where I like to use all characters in an RPG. I end up doing a lot of side grinding and stuff for it.

FFX is also pretty easy so it's not like better characters made a huge difference.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Grinding didn't really achieve anything, you just pushed Biran and Yenke's stats higher too.
is that a thing...? If they scale I didn't notice it.
On our playthroughs of FFX after we had beaten it once, we knew kimarhi would leave the party for a bit (and miss the training spot at the bridge before you fight seymor), and also would have a solo fight later that was hard.
So we left him in the party in the beginning of the game to make up for it

When that fight came around it was always easy, since we already knew from the first go round. So getting him strong early definitely seemed to help

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Never had an issue with any character being under levelled. If you make sure to let them have one turn per fight then cycle another character in until you've used them all everyone levels equally

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
This is why you use the Expert Sphere Grid. On the regular version Kimahri is confined to a small area in the center until you get unlocking spheres. And even then, he just ends up awkwardly around the middle of someone else's route.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I came here to say that whenever anyone asks me what to do with the characters late game, I always say make Kimarhi a black mage, you dont need the basic fire bliizard and thunder spells but the ara and aga spells with him are awesome. He is nearly (or more ) powerful than Lulu as a black mage. I remember him being a second black mage as being very fun and helpful.