• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
-First three Dragon Quest released on Switch, no PC port.
-Final Fantasy SaGa released on Switch, no PC port.
-Crystal Chronicles released on PS4 (and Switch? Can't remember), no PC port.
-Chocobo Mystery Dungeon didn't get a PC port
-Star Ocean R didn't get a PC port

Yes, we are getting new releases like Nier Replicant and DQXIS, but considering all FF ports were profitable it seems rather strange Square didn't release a single one from the above list on PC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They just stopped porting a lot of old games all together. Switch/PS4 never got FF 1-6 or Chrono Trigger. I really want to know what drives SEs decisions behind when to port old games and onto what systems.

Dragon Quest is on Pc game pass/windows store
I believe the OP is referring to how Switch got DQ1-3 when DQXIs came out.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
They probably don't think those games are big enough to bother (hence why they're also all digital only, at least in the west). Every game you listed is just a port from an older console or basically just existing ROMs in an emulator

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Final Fantasy Tactics: WoTL's mobile port also hasn't been ported, yet as you say all the other Mobile ports such as FF4,5,6 and Chrono Trigger have indeed been ported to steam.

Also the entire FF series is playable on Steam the only exception being FF1 and FF2.

I don't know what goes in the mind of Square in regards of decisions on what they decide or not decide to port to a specific platform.

I'd love to play FFT:WoTL on my TV again in widescreen without any slow down or miscellaneous issues that affected the PSP release without relying on any sort of emulation. I mean PPSSPP is nice and all, but I'd much prefer a native port for PS4, Switch, and Steam.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to know what drives SEs decisions behind when to port old games and onto what systems.

"[Square Enix CEO and president Yoichi] Wada took a couple of locations to a fortune teller named Pao," said Uematsu. "Pao said the Meguro space was not going to bring any fortune to the company, and pointed to Shinjuku. That's why he decided to move it there. I heard this directly from Wada."

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Square Enix are a dumb ass company who still haven't ported tactics(Fantasy or Ogre) to anywhere other than mobile for the former. They are so inconsistent who can say what the hell goes on with them or where they decide to port anything.

Last edited:

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
No one wants to fight for that jank shit
Hey man, who doesn't want to experience Ehrgeiz's sound effects???

I can't lie, I would buy a PC port if they (for some godforsaken reason) made it. The game one hell of a (very janky and messy) experiment, and it's quite unique for a fighting game. The single player modes were interesting, too.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty misleading to say most of the Dragon Quest games ended up on Switch. The first 3 did as they already had those ports in Japan. Dragon Quest IV through VI, as well as VIII are all available on mobile and none of those have touched the Switch yet.

Crystal Chronicles was clearly a rushed or botched port job that would probably be just as bad on PC.

In addition, there are tons of other Square Enix games that havent been ported in years, so I don't think it's an issue of "Square Enix isn't porting games to PC specifically" and rather it's "Square Enix is either poorly porting or not porting over a good deal of its catalog for whatever reason"

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey man, who doesn't want to experience Ehrgeiz's sound effects???

I can't lie, I would buy a PC port if they (for some godforsaken reason) made it. The game one hell of a (very janky and messy) experiment, and it's quite unique for a fighting game. The single player modes were interesting, too.

Id rather get tobal 2 or bushido blade 2 :P

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think the bigger question is,

did they decide that FFXIII is not worth bringing to PS4/PS5? And please don't reply saying the game or trilogy was a failure. I think a remaster set can sell.

And yeah, Tactics should have had more releases by now.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
We complained too much and didn't buy the ports because of the bad quality of the ports I guess.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

I also recall Wada saying in interview the reason he won't sign off on a FF7 Remake is because it would irreparably damage the franchise.

But relying on superstition as a reason not to expand the company seems a bit much. I doubt any of the various SaGa remakes and re-releases would occur under Wada. He systematically ignored any ambitious projects or above mid-tier projects if they weren't related to Final Fantasy in any way. I'm glad he's no longer part of the decision making process of the company anymore.

Square was as at the height of being absolutely stagnant and non-growth in any capacity under Wada's leadership.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what goes in the mind of Square in regards of decisions on what they decide or not decide to port to a specific platform.

Of course not. You don't have access to sales data, analytics, etc. Like people always say this, "what is X company thinking???" But of course we don't know. We're not familiar with the context these decisions are made in.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I will also fight for a HD Collection of Bloody Roar, Project Justice, and Colony Wars
QgdWmvP.gif

Yeah. We BYKE!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm betting this is a self fulfilling prophecy where they didn't sell because they only ported the crappy mobile ports.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Of course not. You don't have access to sales data, analytics, etc. Like people always say this, "what is X company thinking???" But of course we don't know. We're not familiar with the context these decisions are made in.

Sales data does exist though, but regardless that is not my intended context. I mean look at the ports for FF5, 6, and Chrono Trigger which were based on the Android / Mobile ports. What make sense to port those three games from the Android or Apple mobile platforms but not FFT or other games. I doubt it's a matter of difficulty or challenge.

The Chrono Trigger port in question is a good example as the mobile port is purely touch controls only, much like FFT was, so any work Square had to do involved in it's port work for the Steam release would also apply to FFT as well.

This also makes you wonder why Square doesn't decide to revisit Chrono to begin with. If it's a matter of sales then that would be Square not promoting the series enough or releasing it on enough platforms to incentivize growth, it's obvious omission on both the SNES Classic Mini and even the SNES Classics on Switch.

It's not like the sales for the game are terrible either, last I check overall sales across all ports was 3.9 Million overall, with the SNES at the majority being 2.3 Million out of that total.

I mean even FFT managed that much (2.4m) on just the PSX as well, I have no data for the PSP or Mobile releases however.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I really want SE to be more consistent with whatever it does. I don't know why they are always disappointed with their earnings posting every quarter or year when they kinda just don't do anything or are really bizarre in which platforms get what, that aren't bound by contractual obligations. Missing games on certain platforms, not even trying to localise some games unless Nintendo steps in for them (someone correct me on that, I don't know what goes on with the bravely games), terrible support for games, etc.

did they decide that FFXIII is not worth bringing to PS4/PS5? And please don't reply saying the game or trilogy was a failure. I think a remaster set can sell.

This is why I still have an Xbox one hooked up. I want nothing more than to buy an FFXIII collection, hell even at god awful $80.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
They could definitely be more consistent. All I know now is I'm happy SaGa is getting remasters and ports, and the original Nier is getting a remaster ...

Oct 25, 2017
-First three Dragon Quest released on Switch, no PC port.
-Final Fantasy SaGa released on Switch, no PC port.
-Crystal Chronicles released on PS4 (and Switch? Can't remember), no PC port.
-Chocobo Mystery Dungeon didn't get a PC port
-Star Ocean R didn't get a PC port

Yes, we are getting new releases like Nier Replicant and DQXIS, but considering all FF ports were profitable it seems rather strange Square didn't release a single one from the above list on PC.

They're juggling more old games than pretty much any publisher. RS2, RS3, SSG, and SaGa Frontier are all for PC. Nothing really ends up on everything, but lots of stuff ends up on most platforms. PC isn't necessarily the worst off platform. It got OT while PS4 did not.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the bigger question is,

And yeah, Tactics should have had more releases by now.

Theres a branch of FF13 on Steam that's labelled as "For Virtuos", who did the remasters of FFX/XII. So something might be in the works.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Still waiting for FF1, FF2 and Tactics War of the Lions.

Bought them on iOS yesterday but will get them when they release on Steam.

Also should be a crime that DQ 1, 2 and 3 got released on Switch but not on Steam.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This is why I still have an Xbox one hooked up. I want nothing more than to buy an FFXIII collection, hell even at god awful $80.

As far as I'm aware the FFXIII trilogy have excellent BC support via One X / Series X basically making it the definitive way to play the game on console.

I mean here is Digital Foundry's take on the first of the trilogy

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Half their ports are broken (Nier: Automata's cutscenes running at like 10fps), need major patches and end up completely reworked (Chrono Trigger) or have virtually no improvements outside of poorly implemented cheat codes baked in.

Asking for more ports is monkey's paw territory.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes S-E releases games last on PC. Very rarely do they do same day and date for PC games. A lot of their library is console first, months go by, then a PC announcement.

For that reason, it's very hard to figure out if the games mentioned in the OP are absolutely never going to come to PC. Like, I can imagine that Crystal Chronicles might, but I think the window for DQ I-III is long gone.

Oct 25, 2017
"Square Enix is either poorly porting or not porting over a good deal of its catalog for whatever reason"

I think they're keeping more of their games in active circulation on multiple platforms than any other company, except Sega with their mediocre Genesis collection bundles. Between current gen platforms and phone you have access to ports or remakes of like 30-40 of their major releases or something. 9 DQ games, 8 SaGa games, 14 Final Fantasy games, like 4 or 5 Kingdom Heart games?

They're overall pretty good at keeping stuff available. Just not every game on every platform at all times, but that isn't a standard that any company meets.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Their previous attempts at porting were ill received by the PC crowd. Rightfully so, based on what I saw of FF6. I'm sure that scared them away from continuing that.

I wish it weren't the case, but if they have no intention of putting in better efforts, and the efforts they DID give were met with such insane amounts of complaints, I can see why they stopped.

Oct 25, 2017
Their previous attempts at porting were ill received by the PC crowd. Rightfully so, based on what I saw of FF6. I'm sure that scared them away from continuing that.

I wish it weren't the case, but if they have no intention of putting in better efforts, and the efforts they DID give were met with such insane amounts of complaints, I can see why they stopped.

But they are still doing ports. The problem is mostly when the ports are from barebones phone adaptations.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Same reason why Sega and Atlus haven't had a steady stream of ports or port announcements since Golden: they're dumb.