• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I'm not even planning to buy a PS5 so why am I supposed to care? I'm just excited by the possibilities of what the PS5 can offer and how it will change game design.

You're in a thread about whether Sony made the right choice in prioritizing SSD performance over other aspects of the console.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm thankful both platforms have SSDs this gen, because I can't tell you how painful it is to go back to PS4 and XBO once you're used to playing on PC.

It's one of the biggest benefits of PC gaming this gen which bizarrely never seemed to really get mentioned on here until it was rumoured the next gen consoles would have SSDs 🤔 Honestly it's a game changer just based on load times alone, without even considering other potential benefits.

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading comments here you could think Xbox Series has HDD and not a 2.4 GB/s SSD with compression up to 4.8-6 GB/s, and even people comparing the outer world running on BC with the demon souls loads, is freaking hilarious.

If demon souls has 0.89 seconds transition loads on ps5, they would be 1.15 ~ 1.8 on Series X, and that's not even having the 25% faster RAM of Series X in mind.

What Cerny talked about is streaming in content so fast that it can fill in as you move around, just as you need it. I haven't seen any games really show that yet, but that's pretty amazing. The Series X has a fast SSD, but I don't know if it's fast enough to do something like that.

Obviously this would benefit 1st party, I doubt 3rd party games would be built to take advantage of something like that if it wouldn't work on XSX/XSS.

Jan 21, 2019
SerpentineHandsomeHoneyeater-size_restricted.gif

To me, yes.
And this is just a launch game that probably started development long before a proper dev kit. The SSD is fantastic for open-world games, but overkill for linear corridor based games, they can use the entire ram pool for small rooms and load the stuff necessary for the next areas as you approach them.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
what I find disappointing, since it seems to be working so well now, is the lack of a DLSS equivalent in these new consoles. I mean, the impact on performance for faux 4k that looks like 4k is phenomenal.

Yup, DLSS has been kicking ass, looking even better than native in some cases. There was that news a couple of months ago about Sony filing a DLSS-like patent but haven't heard anymore on that since then.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
\

We don't know because we haven't seen unoptimized for SSD BC titles loading on PS5 yet alone the same title to compare.
It's hard to say for sure if that leaked clip of Spider-Man running on an early low-speed SSD was optimized or unoptimized either. I'm not saying that Xbox games will take 9 seconds to load, but we've seen optimised for PS5 games that load in a second and nothing from Xbox so it's hard to say what gamers will or will not care about with brand new games which is probably the content that matters more to those buying these new consoles.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Time will tell. It's encouraging (based on the recent DF video) that developers seem to be very big fans of the PS5 architecture though. At the moment that's probably the best indication that Sony made the right call.

But again, time will tell. Sometimes the landscape can shift in unexpected ways, and what initially looked like good decisions can turn out to be poor ones.

What do people think about Albert Penello asking this?

If you go back to the Xbox 1 launch, you'll see that poor Albert doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to pre-launch console FUD ;)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to say for sure if that leaked clip of Spider-Man running on an early low-speed SSD was optimized or unoptimized either. I'm not saying that Xbox games will take 9 seconds to load, but we've seen optimised for PS5 games that load in a second and nothing from Xbox so it's hard to say what gamers will or will not care about with brand new games which is probably the content that matters more to those buying these new consoles.
Yeah, I don't think we've seen any games running on XSX yet alone there load times. My point was you using the unoptimized for SSD BC titles that Xbox has showed for loading as your example which, to be fair, would be a good example to compare if there was a noticeable difference between PS5 loading of the same game.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
Time will tell. It's encouraging (based on the recent DF video) that developers seem to be very big fans of the PS5 architecture though. At the moment that's probably the best indication that Sony made the right call.

But again, time will tell. Sometimes the landscape can shift in unexpected ways, and what initially looked like good decisions can turn out to be poor ones.

If you go back to the Xbox 1 launch, you'll see that poor Albert doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to pre-launch console FUD ;)
The difference is, Albert Penello no longer works in Microsoft since 2018.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
I'm just curious as to what the OP thinks we would be basing these early calls, pre-hands on and pre-any games being released that can possibly use SSD to its fullest (or even the GPU). It's going to be more of a post-mortem answer at the end of the generation, rather than a premature call now.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Considering we have the lower bounds of XSS and last-gen with us for the next couple years, I say absolutely yes. When they do another mid-gen refresh the faster SSD will pay dividends.

Playing Avengers right now and this game was not built with an HDD in mind, it's so slow and cumbersome navigating thru missions. I want those extra seconds in all my games; time is precious.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Honestly, i don't think it will make that much of a difference in the end. Series SX's ssd seems good enough and PS5's gpu also seems good enough.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yes it was the right move. They just dont simply increased the SSD performance, they build a custom IO that removes a lot of bottlenecks, thats why u got alot of devs praising the PS5 architecture.

Maybe they also should have gone for fixed clock speeds cuz when i think of overclocked i think of overheating, but we will see.

This is not saying thers anything wrong with XSX architecture, it seems a very well balanced and powerfull console.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Agreed.

This is quite the take from someone this forum tends to idolize.

After all, Sony could not possibly have evolving software to go with SSD cluster that deals with data compression and decompression which effectively increases the data throughput to beyond the raw 5.5GB/s.

And Sony and AMD could not possibly create 10.28 TF system because to get to reach that level of performance would mean sacrificing on 60fps gameplay? Wait, what am I reading? Is that tweet implying that the base TF for PS5 is lower than Series S (rated at 4TF) and that "overclocking" it would mean games cannot reach 60fps? What?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
not to be rude but there's no indication this is anything but the effects of using SSD in general in game development. with both consoles using faster-than-retail SSD speeds, we won't know what it looks like to see what the PS5 can do above XSX for a while. there's no reason to suspect yet that XSX will hit bottlenecks either right now as many discussions from Xbox have said they too have virtually eliminated loading.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Until we all get the hands on experience, we won't know. So hopefully these few months hurry by so we can get to starting this next gen.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
People are actually believing this comment?

The S having better framerates than the PS5?

REALLY?

Well it does have a slightly faster CPU and will be targeting lower resolution everything, the potential is there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we've seen scenarios where PS4 had more stable framerates than Xbox One X in albeit a small amount of games, but it still happened, so it's a possibility.

Scaramanger

Nov 27, 2017
Well it does have a slightly faster CPU and will be targeting lower resolution everything, the potential is there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we've seen scenarios where PS4 had more stable framerates than Xbox One X in albeit a small amount of games, but it still happened, so it's a possibility.

that would be an interesting dynamic if the 1440p cheaper device has higher frame rates, this gen is is going to be interesting!

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was the right call, but we won't know before a few years inn when devs are taking advantage of the full potential of PS5 SSD.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
This is quite the take from someone this forum tends to idolize.

After all, Sony could not possibly have evolving software to go with SSD cluster that deals with data compression and decompression which effectively increases the data throughput to beyond the raw 5.5GB/s.

And Sony and AMD could not possibly create 10.28 TF system because to get to reach that level of performance would mean sacrificing on 60fps gameplay? Wait, what am I reading? Is that tweet implying that the base TF for PS5 is lower than Series S (rated at 4TF) and that "overclocking" it would mean games cannot reach 60fps? What?

The CPUs in the PS5 and Series S are nearly identical, but proportional to the resolution and effects they will be targeting the Series S CPU is more powerful. We also know that the PS5 cannot sustain peak GPU/CPU performance simultaneously for long, possibly at all. I assume his point is if a dev is really pushing the GPU in certain parts of the game on PS5 the CPU could be downclocked, resulting in reduced framerate compared to the Series S.

I feel like the CPUs are both so powerful compared to what we had that this is unlikely to happen much in practice, but I guess we'll have to see the analysis of cross platform games after they are released for both.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The PS4 Pro has better framerates on some games despite being weaker than the X.

I'm pretty sure the gap between the S and PS5 is a bit wider than that, no?

I'm not saying the SS won't have high fps performance on titles that scale down well for it. But it won't be all that common. The tweet is ridiculous imo. I guess we should expect higher framerates on the PS5 compared to the SX because games don't be shooting for higher resolutions than the SX...

I don't think it's that simple.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Wasn't the statement that it has a faster CPU proven to be inaccurate or was that confined?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

You can have all the software solutions you want, it won't match the hardware implementation of Sony's solution. The only reason MS could possibly match Sony in I/O is because some devs could develop around Xbox's SSD as a baseline and not take advantage of the increased speed on PS5.

Also the PS5 doesn't rely on thermal load to determine clocks, so he has no idea what he's talking about

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
People are actually believing this comment?

The S having better framerates than the PS5?

REALLY?

Well, I might be being thick here but the series s might well have better frame rates in games than a ps5. Purely on the basis it's running games at a much lower resolution.

I mean, even this gen there is a load of games that run smoother on PS4 pro (the weaker machine) than the one x, purely because it knows it's limit on games (say 1440p) whilst the X seems to push for more than it can sometimes cope with (like full 4k or 1800p)

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
To your first point, yes technically we don't know yet, but it's very unlikely, every piece of hardware has diminishing returns at a point, I don't see ssds being the one exception to the rule. I agree that we don't know for sure yet though.

We're only just getting SSDs as standard so I don't think we need to worry about diminishing returns any time soon.

To the second, I did not only mean an issue as in unstable frame rates, I meant having most games be 30fps at all. 30 FPS is an objectively bad experience vs 60. Yes it's playable when it's your only option but it's worse in every way for games. Most Sony games on ps4 are 30fps which sucks even when stable. As for ps5 games yes many more will be 60 that's freaking awesome, and modes are great but as we get further into the gen we'll likely see less 60 FPS only games. Plus it'd be better to not have to have "modes" at all for 30fps because like I said earlier, it's objectively worse. The only modes we should be have in 2020 is 60fps or 120. 30fps is a joke.

I see. Well I do agree that 60fps is obviously better than 30, but I also accept that 60 won't be standard on consoles. It's just how it is. And even if the PS5 had slightly more power, it wouldn't change this fact. Framerate is always down to the developer, and many developers are going to use extra power for graphics no matter what.

The fact that many games have 60fps modes is good enough for me as far as consoles go. Luckily I have a PC where I play the majority of 3rd party games, so I don't need to worry about it too much.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
We know this? What's the source?

Common sense and Cerny himself?

""The CPU and GPU each have a power budget, of course the GPU power budget is the larger of the two," adds Cerny. "If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU. That's what AMD calls SmartShift. There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."

There is no reason to hedge with the word 'potentially' in that statement, unless it is more of a theoretical possibility rather than an expected scenario for high utilization periods (which is when the framerate would dip)

Status
Not open for further replies.