• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game deserved to be 2011's Game of the Year?

• Portal 2

Votes: 1,572 54.3%
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Votes: 352 12.2%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 696 24.0%
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Votes: 89 3.1%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Votes: 64 2.2%
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Votes: 66 2.3%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 58 2.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Skyward Sword to death, and it goes to show just how incredible Portal 2 was (especially if you played with the level builder and the co-op campaign at all) that Skyward Sword was my clear #2.

A strong year all around, though. I was particularly surprised by how much I liked Deus Ex: HR. And I want to put in a small word for Arkham City, not mentioned in the poll, which had a lot going for it despite being a step down for me from Arkham Asylum.

And come to think of it—good heavens, Super Mario 3D Land was that year too, though I didn't think of it that way as I took a while to get to it. In retrospect it now looks like a bit of a prototypical game that was totally eclipsed by everything 3D World brought to the table, but it deserves a lot of credit for laying out that design direction.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Portal 2 was like 5 hours too short. You think it should last forever, but it didn't, just stopped, and ended.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was Portal 2 significantly better than its predecessor? I played the first game and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what the sequel did differently.

I'd personally pick Dark Souls for 2011. Its success led to pretty significant reverberations throughout the action-adventure genre and the industry as a whole for years to come, and it happens to be a damn fine game to boot, unlike a certain Elder Scrolls title on the list. :p

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
Games like Minecraft and Fortnite would be continually GOTY under those criteria. The base Skyrim game wasn't all that great and the Playstation launch was a technical mess. Like all modern Bethesda games Skyrim is a sandbox of immense promise that doesn't really deliver out of the box.

Portal 2 is the greater achievement in design, writing, pacing etc...

that kind of expands on my thoughts - what does GOTY even mean any more with online games and GAAS? like when is the "year" that the game is counted? I'm not sure, due to the nature of video games, that a GOTY category even makes sense. Or there needs to be expanded categories and there just isn't one single GOTY category. There could be a GOTY single player new game, GOTY multiplayer new game, GOTY ongoing multiplayer, GOTY GAAS single player, etc.

like I honestly don't think best of the year as a category should exist for games

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was Portal 2 significantly better than its predecessor? I played the first game and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what the sequel did differently.

I'd personally pick Dark Souls for 2011. Its success led to pretty significant reverberations throughout the action-adventure genre and the industry as a whole for years to come, and it happens to be a damn fine game to boot, unlike a certain Elder Scrolls title on the list. :p
Yes, I would say so! It took a core concept that was Portal and expanded it without ruining any of the core elements and added quite a few new ones to it. It is an amazing experience with one of the best comedic writing in a game that I have seen. Portal was the Prototype, Portal 2 was an actual finished game experience

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Just going by list in poll, hell yeah Portal 2 did. Its 1 of my favorite JK Simmons performances and that man gives a shit load of amazing performances. And it's not like gave 1 good performance. McClain and Merchant were both also amazing. Add in great puzzles, a cool story, and my favorite silent protagonist ever.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
One of the most inventive and original games and mechanics with an incredible voice track to tell you the tragic story indirectly and also make you smile...there is nothing else like Portal 2...and for that it deserves the crown..

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I really like it back in the day, but the influence of Skyrim and Dark Souls is bigger to this day in the industry.

That said, my pick is Human Revolution.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
It's between Skyrim and Portal for me, and maybe a past me would lean towards Skyrim. I still love that game.

But it's Portal.

edit: because skyrim original edition just didnt age too well. If I consider the special edition on xbox one (graphical upgrade with better performance and loading times, plus mod support), it would win for me, but it's not really fair is it?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It was Pokemon Black and White for me. I'm totally fine with Portal 2 winning though, game isn't really in my comfort zone but I still enjoyed it a lot. I think it was probably one of the best western AAA games of last-gen.

2011 was a pretty weak year for GotY contenders for me. My three front runners were Pokemon, 3D Land, and To The Moon. All of which are pretty great games but don't exactly scream "best game of the year" to me, especially in retrospect. I imagine Radiant Historia is in that ballpark as well but I still haven't gotten around to it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portal 2 absolutely. It's one of the best puzzle games ever made. I enjoyed Dark Souls but it comes nowhere near in terms of gameplay precision, as the first chapter of that saga was definitely quite a jankfest tbh.

Feb 1, 2018
I remember watching my friend finish Portal 2 in one sitting, it was quite the experience.

Skryim in 2011 was a mess, lots of game breaking bugs and borderline unplayable on PS3. For consoles it was 2016's remaster that made it truly great

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Tough one for me.

The only game i'd not played out of them is DS. Real struggle between Portal 2 and Skyrim.

Also got FM4 and Gears 3 releases that year, arguably series' pinnacles.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
This game was phenomenal. Also has my favorite achievement in all of games:

"Well. This is the part where he kills us."
"Hello! This is the part where I kill you!"

CHAPTER 9
THE PART WHERE HE KILLS YOU

Achievement
:
The Part Where He Kills You
This is that part
So stupid, but I died laughing.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Portal 2 is still such a unique and wonderful game. And actually I feel like it was a little head of its time in terms of its tech culture satire, the kind of thing that is more trendy these days.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Portal 1 and 2 are insanely good. Played coop too in Portal 2.
I would LOVE a Portal 3. LOOOOOOOOOVE.

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Solo was not as great as Portal, but I've had the best time playing coop. It was fun, complex and I say it deserves its reward.
I want a number 3 so bad only for a new coop.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sure it's an incredible game. Personal pick would be Deus Ex: Human Revolution with Witcher 2 as a runner up.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Uncharted 3. That was a holy shit moment for me personally because I had just bought a 3d tv and Uncharted 3 in stereoscopic 3d was an incredible experience. I'm glad VR has picked up the baton now that 3d is dead because it was just mind blowing how well Naughty Gods utilised the tech and it's a little sad that so few people were able to experience it like that.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This is tough and the top three are definitely Portal 2, Skyrim, and Dark Souls.. and as a fervent admirer of the latter two I have to give it to Portal 2.

Skyrim and Dark Souls were both monumental achievements when you look at their influence over the years but Portal 2 was the game that year. The improved writing, the humor, the mechanics, the narrative, the overall execution..

Portal 2 was kind of the perfect sequel. As far as I remember it was a huge topic of discussion that year just how good it was and it was kind of a unanimous "This game is fantastic".

Sure you could argue it's a one and done, or lacking in replayability or nitpick about something but it's impact that year was tremendous. Nobody expected Portal 2 and what we got was an incredibly engaging ride of a time and dammit I need to go and play Portal 2.

(I voted Dark Souls because Portal 2 is not losing this)

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. It is a unique experience and all of its components worked together perfectly. It is one of the games I will probably replay many times in the future. At the time I was disappointed by the fact that you can open portals only in designated places, but this is probably the only criticism I can think of.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portal 2 was stunning. I could see arguments being made for Skyrim though. Depends whether you value massive scale or a smaller, scope, super-polished experience I suppose.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Portal 2 was sheer joy. The perfect sequel. It's slightly bittersweet since Valve haven't chosen to talk about a follow-up (outside of Portal Bridge and the Lego Dimensions campaign). The other games in the poll are very good, but Portal was just great.

Skyrim was a great RPG experience (especially for people like me who dislike fantasy settings)

Imma replay both of those over the summer.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It has a fantastic single player campaign.
Without any violence.
It's one of the most genuinely funny games out there.
It has a fantastic art style.
JK Simmons and Steven Merchant were brilliant in it.
The soundtrackt is fantastic well.
It came with a complete separate coop campaign.

Yes, it very much deserved to be GOTY that year.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I see the binding of isaac and warhammer 40k space marines id put above any of these, i'd argue the same for ghost trick.
But really it's hard to pick for once, portal 2 is a decent choice for once.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. It's one of the best games ever made.

1. Portal 2
2. Dark Souls
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. Skyrim
5. Arkham City

Last edited:

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
This game was phenomenal. Also has my favorite achievement in all of games:

"Well. This is the part where he kills us."
"Hello! This is the part where I kill you!"

CHAPTER 9
THE PART WHERE HE KILLS YOU

Achievement
:
The Part Where He Kills You
This is that part
So stupid, but I died laughing.

Yeah, the timing on the achievement pop is beautiful.

UncleDisco

Oct 27, 2017
All things considered... I think I have to go with Minecraft. I know it made it's first big splash the year before, but it did hit 1.0 in 2011 and I think that's what qualifies for being "released". I can't think of a game that had a bigger impact that year.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
It's certainly my favourite among the games listed.

I suppose cases could be made for Skyrim and Dark Souls in terms of lasting influence.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I don't know if it's as good as Portal 1, it maybe suffers in comparison by being a bit baggier (even though it's still only, what, 6 hours long?) and not as sharply designed, but it is wonderful.

Of those listed it's my favourite, although I'd maybe put Minecraft above it on a pure personal impact and personal importance level.

Is there a better celebrity stunt-casting voice performance than JK Simmons in Portal 2?