• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game deserved to be 2011's Game of the Year?

• Portal 2

Votes: 1,572 54.3%
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Votes: 352 12.2%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 696 24.0%
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Votes: 89 3.1%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Votes: 64 2.2%
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Votes: 66 2.3%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 58 2.0%

• Total voters

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, DaS is easily better. For my money, I think Portal 2 has the weakest campaign of any Valve game except maybe L4D1.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Toss up between Dark Souls and Skyrim with The Witcher 2 in third place. Three of the absolute best RPGs this decade. Get outta here with dumb cake memes.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
For an interactive experience, where pacing is very much up to the player, comedy must be one of the harder things to write. The portal games knocked it out of the park with the writing and story telling.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I could see arguments for either Portal 2 or Dark Souls honestly. Both are fantastic games, and stand head and shoulders above the rest.

And oh yeah ^^^^^ Witcher 2 was that year, so a trifecta of great games.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the few games I stayed up late for. My buddy and I were chatting on Steam for hours up until it unlocked. Crazy good game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite happy with that choice, even though I've put more time into DkS1. It's consistently good the whole way through and the co-op campaign is really special too.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. It's a perfectly fine game, but not GotY material. I prefer the first one.

It's pretty hard for me to not choose Dark Souls. I know Demon's was first but Dark smoothed over some of the rough edges of that game and is one of the best games from last gen. Only other choice I think could come close is Mario 3D Land.

Skyrim doesn't deserve it due to the PS3 version being actually broken at the time.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I just remember this year being like a 3 hour debate with Giant Bomb between Saints Row the 3rd and Skyrim for game of the year.

Why Saints row the 3rd...

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
My original vote in 2011 went 1. Skyward Sword 2. Skyrim 3. Portal 2 (I did not play Dark Souls or Human Revolution that year and played The Witcher 2 on 360 so it was a 2012 game for me). My pro-Zelda bias wouldn't let me place Skyward Sword anywhere other than the top at the time but I would have to drop it down now, despite the fact that it is still a tremendous game. Portal 2 co-op is the absolute best co-op experience and the single player is good but not as good.

My re-ranking would be 1. Skyrim 2. Portal 2 co-op 3. Dark Souls 4. Portal 2 single-player 5. Skyward Sword

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Portal 2 was my favorite game of 2011, but I'd have to give it to either Dark Souls or Skyrim due to the influence both had on the industry.

And between those two, it's Skyrim. You may hear about Dark Souls a lot, but that's only because Skyrim was so popular that people already seem to take it for granted.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's one of the finest pieces of entertainment I've ever consumed.

Almost flawless, I'm sure I'd find fault if I looked hard enough.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say so. The loss of Valve as a developer of full-fledged single player games might not get the attention of Bioware's near implosion and Blizzard's apparent shift towards mobile games, but to me it might be the developer whose output I have been most disheartened by this generation.

I hope the next GOTY re-litigation is a bloodbath year. 2001, 2004, or 2007 please!

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls is better, but this was before Dark Souls had the mega fandom it does now.

Portal 2 is still a worthy winner.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the games in that poll Portal 2 is an easy choice but now I'm wondering what else released that year.

Edit: I forgot that Minecraft came out in 2011 so I would go with that.

Last edited:

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised to see Portal 2 dominating, I went for Dark Souls but the top 3 are all GOAT contenders within their genres.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Portal 2 is great and was my pick at the time, but I've cooled on it a bit over the years and come to vastly prefer the original's sharper edges. Looking back, I'd go with Dark Souls without hesitation.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
One of my most replayable games of all time, up there with Half Life 2. I can just pick it up and marvel at every element. Absolutely GOTY 2011.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Honestly Portal 2 was an incredible game to me, I usually don't get along with puzzle games but it was just endlessly engaging for me from start to finish.

Oct 28, 2017
Even though I've only played 2 games on that list, Skyrim (never played) seemed to dominate the gaming zeitgeist in a way I've rarely seen.