• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did Pokemon Gen 1 have Dual Type Pokemon?

• Yes

Votes: 489 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 89 15.4%

• Total voters

riq

Feb 21, 2019
In gen I you can:
Toxic + Leech Seed + Wrap
They all use the same damage counter. Leech Seed will stack all that passive damage and heal you back.
Also Rock types were useful because less stuff got non-stab moves. The ones who did had low Special stats so using Blizzard and co was more a tech than a main move.
I honestly love it.

Who doesn't want to crit the whole game using Persian + Slash. Pls

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there were dual types. The fuck do these people think Charizard was? That's the entire point of that thing.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Although they were at times badly coded. I vividly remember grass attacks being not very effective against Tentacruel...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
hqdefault.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
When I said I wanted to see something other than next-gen console discussion this was exactly what I had in mind.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Remember when the anime said that electric moves don't affect rock type Pokemon?

lol

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
You can see that these Pokemon websites don't change older generations' dex pages to reflect changes in later generations. See Smogon or Serebii's gen 1 entries for Jigglypuff. They have them as Normal type and not Normal/Fairy, there's no gender ratio or abilities, special attack/defense are the same, no moves from later gens, etc.

I see we're at the point of these threads where people just start eagerly sharing their gen 1 glitch trivia.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
One thing that should be acknowledged more often, is that gen 1 wasn't working within the constraints of an established type system. It didn't necessarily use types in the same way that later games do.

Take Charizard, for example. You'd look at it, and look at the list of types in the game, and wonder why it isn't a Dragon type. The answer is probably because the developers were making up the type list as they went along. "Dragon" is a fairly unorthodox type, which resists all four basic elements (fire/water/grass/electric) and is weak to itself. It only exists on one evolutionary line, and is hard to find unless you have some idea of where to look, and only one trainer uses it against you (and that trainer is the last of the Elite Four). I suspect Dragon was a late addition to the game, for the sole purpose of being a "boss type".

There's also Ghost. Similarly to Dragon, it only exists on the Gengar line. And it has the property of being completely immune to normal attacks.

Gen 1 was perfectly willing to invent whole new types just to use them one time. That leads to some creative decisions that might seem out of place today.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Grass-Posion
Bug-Poison
Bug-Flying
Rock-Ground

Feels like most early game Pokémon were dual type, honestly.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
God, I had an argument with someone about this a few years ago, in real life. He was furiously adamant that dual types didn't exist until Gen 2. I asked him what typing Aerodactyl was. I didn't realise this was a more commonly-thought notion.

(He eventually conceded only because he couldn't find proof of it after a hushed half an hour of internet searching)

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
This was the first time I got hit by the Mandela Effect a few years ago

I have vivid memories of being blown away by Pokemon having two types now in Gen 2 as a kid and my friends and I saying "Wow, what if next time they had THREE types and you could have TRIPLE super effective attacks!?" Then a couple of years back when I booted up my old games to play Pokemon Stadium again I saw they had dual types and it was like my whole life had been a lie

Obviously I was just mistaken as a kid and probably got mixed up between "Two new types" and "Pokemon have two types now"

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
One thing that should be acknowledged more often, is that gen 1 wasn't working within the constraints of an established type system. It didn't necessarily use types in the same way that later games do.

Take Charizard, for example. You'd look at it, and look at the list of types in the game, and wonder why it isn't a Dragon type. The answer is probably because the developers were making up the type list as they went along. "Dragon" is a fairly unorthodox type, which resists all four basic elements (fire/water/grass/electric) and is weak to itself. It only exists on one evolutionary line, and is hard to find unless you have some idea of where to look, and only one trainer uses it against you (and that trainer is the last of the Elite Four). I suspect Dragon was a late addition to the game, for the sole purpose of being a "boss type".

There's also Ghost. Similarly to Dragon, it only exists on the Gengar line. And it has the property of being completely immune to normal attacks.

Gen 1 was perfectly willing to invent whole new types just to use them one time. That leads to some creative decisions that might seem out of place today.

It's the first gen so the rules were fast and free, but typings since then have only existed to address major balancing issues (Dark and Steel to combat Mewtwo Psychics, and Fairy to combat the large amount of terribly powerful Dragons whilst giving Fire and Poison types more validity in competitive play)

If a Typing eventually becomes overpowered down the line they'll make a new Typing that's immune to it or something.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
There definitely were dual types—I remember because of the only Ghost Pokémon were also all Poison. though I honestly forgot Bulbasaur was grass/poison

I also can't remember for certain: could Charizard not learn Fly in Red & Blue, but could in Yellow? For some reason I that's what I remember.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
There was only one pure grass type in gen 1. Tangela. I remember being so disappointed when I figured that out. I just wanted a pure grass type because I was a dumb kid.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
It's the first gen so the rules were fast and free, but typings since then have only existed to address major balancing issues (Dark and Steel to combat Mewtwo Psychics, and Fairy to combat the large amount of terribly powerful Dragons whilst giving Fire and Poison types more validity in competitive play)

If a Typing eventually becomes overpowered down the line they'll make a new Typing that's immune to it or something.
Exactly. Adding a new type is considered a drastic action now. It's rarely done, and carefully considered. Imagine if it wasn't like that. The developers could have chosen a very different path, and added new types left and right, whenever they felt like it. Got a cool idea for a new species? Let's make a unique type for it, why not. That's how things were done in the original games, after all.

I kinda want to see that universe.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Dual Types did not exist. Articuno and Zapdos were Ice and Electric, but Moltres was pure Flying type (but with a fire-based moveset).

Surprised y'all didn't know this. Also, while they were called the Elite Four, you actually only fought two of them. Nobody really commented on why. Gen One was weird: they really hadn't quite worked out all the kinks in the formula yet. Fortunately fans have restored missing content and most ROMs you'll find online contain the updated versions, with two extra members of the Elite Four, support for Dual Types, one uniform currency for the entire region, etc.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I knew for a while that they did have dual types in gen 1, but this is pretty much my mandela effect, because I always remember gen one as being monotype only, for some reason.

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Due to a programming glitch, until X/Y, all Pokemon were coded as Bird/Bird type in the data. It's why X/Y shook up the competitive scene so much

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
There were probably more dual types in Gen 1 than single types. Most flying types are normal/flying, most rock types were rock/ground, there weren't any pure ice types IIRC, the only Ghost Pokemon were part Poison, there were Pokemon that evolved into being part Flying, and so forth.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Defo. I've always been salty about Bug and Ghost types are super effective against psychic! But then most bugs are dual type poison(especially since Beedrills pin missile is the only real bug move to use iirc) and the only ghosts in the game are dualed with poison and there are barely any damaging ghost moves to use.

Made the type advantage fairly useless tbh.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It can look like dual types weren't there at times, because the effectiveness text didn't work properly on dual type Pokémon, but they were always there.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
how can people think dual types didn't exist in gen 1??

the first goddamn pokemon in the game is dual typed

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Gen 6 introduced a dual type move. I do wonder if they mess with that
It can look like dual types weren't there at times, because the effectiveness text didn't work properly on dual type Pokémon, but they were always there.
How so? Super effectiveness would display on 2x and 4x weaknesses.

I am surprised GameFreak never denoted 4x effectiveness in their games via text, something like mega effective or barely effective for 4x defensive typings.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want to see that universe.
we'd have a sound type then

• Team preview is enabled.
  • The duration of sleep is reduced to 1-3 turns.
  • If a Pokémon defeats an opposing Pokémon with a recoil move, the Pokémon does not suffer recoil damage.
  • An immobilized Pokémon can still select a move.
  • Consecutive moves such as Wrap end when the target switches out.
  • If a Pokémon is fully paralyzed during the invulnerable turn of Dig or Fly, the move resets.
  • When a paralyzed Pokémon's Speed stat is modified, its Speed reduction is no longer nullified.
  • After a move which causes self-inflicted confusion (e.g. Thrash) ends, the game will display a message stating that the target is confused.
  • The variable that determines the last damage dealt is reset whenever a Pokémon switches, is fully paralyzed, or uses a two-turn move.
  • Recovery moves no longer fail when the difference between a Pokémon's current and maximum HP is 255 or 511.
  • Critical Hit ratio is changed to (BaseSpeed + 76) / 1024*.
  • The stat modifiers for accuracy and evasion were changed.
  • The HP bars of both active Pokémon numerically display their HP.
They also fixed about a dozen moves like Focus Energy and Counter.
praise Iwata (and the other team members at HAL)

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
There was dual typing. Some Pokémon got new typing (fairy/dark/steel) but Pokémon being poison/grass, bug/flying, fire/flying, etc always existed since gen 1

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
How so? Super effectiveness would display on 2x and 4x weaknesses.
Effectiveness checks for both types (so Bulbasaur would be neutral do Dig, as intended), but the text checks only for the last type that has a non neutral matchup AFAIK (so the text would actually incorrectly show as super effective in the above example).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Dual Types did not exist. Articuno and Zapdos were Ice and Electric, but Moltres was pure Flying type (but with a fire-based moveset).

Surprised y'all didn't know this. Also, while they were called the Elite Four, you actually only fought two of them. Nobody really commented on why. Gen One was weird: they really hadn't quite worked out all the kinks in the formula yet. Fortunately fans have restored missing content and most ROMs you'll find online contain the updated versions, with two extra members of the Elite Four, support for Dual Types, one uniform currency for the entire region, etc.

It's pretty crazy how many Pokemon "fans" are in this thread and don't even know this