• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Sacul64

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Jontron discussion should even be in any Games board, because it's been years since he's given a decent video game review.

He lost the plot with his MEMETASTIC celebrity cameos, and his reactions to awkward advertisements and PSAs have ruled the day for god knows how long. Even with his unforgivable dialogue, I lost interest in his stuff regardless.

In my eyes this is largely also about The Complicationist and PBG who are very much games relevant.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I get arguing for deplatforming and to prevent collaborations & business ventures. But hunting down personal photos to prove a connection is pretty creepy. Just because someone attends your wedding doesn't mean it's an endorsement of that viewpoint. Unless they are promoting him, there doesn't seem to be much of a connection to incriminate these other two people (whom I honestly don't know anything about).

The views of the man are abhorrent but calling out others only draws the fire away from the perpetrator himself.

His views had been known about for years, though, and it's not like a wedding is something you can't turn down. There would have been an invitation, travel involved, potentially even things like getting a suit. If you know someone's views are abhorrant and you still go through all that effort to celebrate a moment in their life, that's more than a little suspicious. Sure, decent people can be dragged along to terrible family members' weddings and the like thanks to social pressure, but you can't be "forced" into going to an acquaintances' wedding.

Also worth noting that the PBG and Jakey posts in the OP appear to come from their public social media feeds, too. Not exactly digging stuff up if they were highlighting it themselves.

I don't think anyone is arguing we should put these people under closer scrutiny than Jon, but it makes sense to want an explanation as to why they aren't distancing themselves from him or admonishing his views directly.

Oct 25, 2017
No, but thanks for this thread.
I didn't know The Completion had some type of association with him. Unsubscribed.
Found out last night hence this topic. It sucks. It makes no sense, when I left a comment on his twitter its all pro BLM and PBG is is filled with police brutality vids like how can they hang with him still?
They haven't associated themselves with him for years. And the previous association was because they were part of the content group NormalBoots for years, which JonTron left after his whole thing.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I stopped supporting everything Normal Boots back when when that dickhead said what he did. Jared was scum from a while ago, but it sucks to see PBG and Jirard supporting that asshole. Thought they were "some of the good ones".

I should just stop giving these youtubers/influencers the benefit of the doubt.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Oh, so that's Jon Tron, huh? There are some faces that I have seen pop up here or GAF back in the day, but I never bothered to check their names.
Well, guess I can continue ignoring him, then...

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad Destiny really went off the deep end. Glad he v exposed JonTron though. I've had his changed ignored for awhile now.

Makes me sad to hear about nakeyjakey. I watch the Gus Johnson and Eddy Burback podcast and both of them seem like really nice dudes, but they are good friends with jakey.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Excusing Bigotry; Prior Severe Ban for Transphobia
Yeah JonTron is trash.

But I can't hate on people who still associate with him, because honestly some of my IRL friends have some dumb ass opinions too. It sucks, but sometimes the world is more gray than you'd like.

As long as the completionist and jakey aren't being racist or defending JonTron, then I'll still watch them.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is pretty disgusting. We're posting personal photos of the man's wedding to shit on him and everyone who attended? Not cool guys.
They look like public images from Twitter/Instagram feeds to me.
And if that's your biggest take-away from all of this, it says a lot about you.
Who cares what the source of the images is, if it shows that they are still associating with someone known to be a white supremacist.
If it came from a private account, would it matter any less?

They haven't associated themselves with him for years. And the previous association was because they were part of the content group NormalBoots for years, which JonTron left after his whole thing.
Y'know, except for the wedding they were at eight months ago.
They may not have collaborated with him in their public content, but they clearly haven't disassociated themselves. None of us have any idea what these people are like off-camera, in private.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The inability to grow facial hair is a dead giveaway with these losers.

I didn't forget - JonTron is a racist moron.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Big Boogie/Ethan Klein energy.

Amazingly, Ethan isn't sitting on the fence with this one. He's been arguing with his fans on Twitter for the last day but to little avail.

Boogie on the other hand, his twitter feed is quite something. He made a "not all cops" tweet a few days ago and after being lit up in the comments he deleted it and apologised and is now going in harder on the cops are bad angle. He really has no backbone whatsoever.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Jontron can go fuck himself. I still watch Nakey Jackey. Yeah he hugged Jontron and that fucking sucks but that doesn't mean he is also a white supremacist. He donated towards blm and clearly cares about minorities and stuff.
63a4kpirj2231.jpg

But why continue to be friends with a racist who hasn't changed or amended their hateful beliefs? Does JonTron have blackmail on NakeyJakey so he's forced to stay friends? Or did he make the choice as an adult to continue being friends because it doesn't affect his privilege? It makes you complicit, being silent about it. Maybe NakeyJakey makes excuses for his bigotry. They don't even live near each other! Just unfriend, bro, if you're genuine about caring for black lives.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
As this thread is going on I was just listening to a speech with this quote from MLK Jr.:

I would never personally attend the wedding, event, or be friends with someone who is a white nationalist, racist, or homophobe. If you're in the public eye and you surround yourself with people like this, I personally don't give a shit if others make the connection and expose you with receipts.

And if you attend these events and then find out scathing information later, denouncing your involvement with a person takes no effort. Being silent and passive takes effort, and you're complicit in that.
Congrats on finding a popular MLK quote online? Except, had you actually read Stride Toward Freedom, you'd realize that MLK was arguing the exact opposite of your point. Yes, MLK was arguing that African Americans prioritizing their safety over confronting oppression was merely endorsing said oppression. But the rest of MLK's argument after your quote shows his true meaning. MLK argued that man must be his fellow man's keeper. That the solution wasn't cooperation or violence, but to win the understanding of & to convert his opponent. While going after JonTron & his horrible views is completely fine, chastising unrelated individuals for attending a wedding that JonTron may have been at is completely different. Isolation of the oppressor or attacking those who are unrelated are a complete antithesis to what MLK was arguing in the quote you posted. If you really want to honor King's legacy, you'd forgive those who associate with him and continue keeping the focus on the real opponent: JonTron.

Sorry, if this comes off as more aggressive than I intended. It's just that with everything happening in America right now, I'm slightly on edge about people misquoting MLK. My apologies if so.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Nakey Jakey, regardless of what he may say or do for PR, has never denounced his association or friendship with JonTron. This blew up last summer in JUNE and even after the controversy, Girlfriend Reviews still did a collaboration and posted the Super Mario Maker 2 review with Nakey Jakey in JULY.

If you associate with someone who is friends with a white nationalist, which was a firestorm in the public eye as well, that's a fucking problem to me. Silence is a problem. Turning a blind eye is a problem.

And the some gamers response is always, I separate politics and content. or maybe they didn't know. Shut the fuck up with that shit.

This tweet is still up. FUCK Jakey.
https://twitter.com/nakeyjakey/status/1135400722005147648?s=20
GR are shitty even regardless of their association with jakey. Their defense against being PewDiePie fans was "we're not fans but so what if we are? He has 100m fans"

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Cancel culture clearly doesn't exist in gaming. Isn't KingNappy out there making content still? Gross. And if The Completionist is indeed still his best friend or whatever, then fuck him too.

A huge portion of gamers, at best don't care, or at worst agree with what people like JonTron say. Not something I like thinking about as it's depressing as hell but there it is.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Jontron discussion should even be in any Games board, because it's been years since he's given a decent video game review.

He lost the plot with his MEMETASTIC celebrity cameos, and his reactions to awkward advertisements and PSAs have ruled the day for god knows how long. Even with his unforgivable dialogue, I lost interest in his stuff regardless.

Should be highlighted, because internet memes are a valuable currency in the online gaming space and at his height JonTron was damn well omnipresent for how well-received and meme-y his shit was. Even if he's technically doing well now he's clearly lost that foothold in part to him just not doing gaming stuff anymore.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
63a4kpirj2231.jpg

But why continue to be friends with a racist who hasn't changed or amended their hateful beliefs? Does JonTron have blackmail on NakeyJakey so he's forced to stay friends? Or did he make the choice as an adult to continue being friends because it doesn't affect his privilege? It makes you complicit, being silent about it. Maybe NakeyJakey makes excuses for his bigotry. They don't even live near each other! Just unfriend, bro, if you're genuine about caring for black lives.
Yeah you're right

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
I'm still, for some reason, surprised at how motherfuckers need their arm twisted into not associate with racist (or just bigoted) friends or family.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Oh this guy. I only heard of him because of the controversy.

I think now as I did then. How does a half Iranian guy support logic that would exclude himself from America?

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
This thread has confirmed something I've always suspected based on the whole vibe of NakeyJakey's videos. That whole "Dane Cook but somehow even less approachable" thing he's got going on.

Extremely disheartened by Jirard though. Thought he had values.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Never knew who he was and never cared for him, but I'll never forget the David Duke like comments he made. fuck him

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I did not forget. I cringe every time I see someone post an old gif or meme of him.

OP
OP
Sacul64

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, only response I got on twitter was telling me no one cares about what Era is upset about, oh well.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Congrats on finding a popular MLK quote online? Except, had you actually read Stride Toward Freedom, you'd realize that MLK was arguing the exact opposite of your point. Yes, MLK was arguing that African Americans prioritizing their safety over confronting oppression was merely endorsing said oppression. But the rest of MLK's argument after your quote shows his true meaning. MLK argued that man must be his fellow man's keeper. That the solution wasn't cooperation or violence, but to win the understanding of & to convert his opponent. While going after JonTron & his horrible views is completely fine, chastising unrelated individuals for attending a wedding that JonTron may have been at is completely different. Isolation of the oppressor or attacking those who are unrelated are a complete antithesis to what MLK was arguing in the quote you posted. If you really want to honor King's legacy, you'd forgive those who associate with him and continue keeping the focus on the real opponent: JonTron.

Sorry, if this comes off as more aggressive than I intended. It's just that with everything happening in America right now, I'm slightly on edge about people misquoting MLK. My apologies if so.

A wedding he may have been at? We're talking about Jon's wedding, right?

They're not "unrelated" when they blatantly hugging a white supremacist and acting like there's nothing wrong. Where is the evidence that they're doing ANYTHING to change JonTron's views? If they are it's clear it's done jack shit. The active harm of that silent endorsement those pictures show is not innocent.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I haven't forgotten, no. My first "milkshake duck". And fuck that shitty beard he has lol

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I didn't forget.

People still claim "he apologized" but his apology was him literally doubling down on his comments.

He would later write panels for Breitbart and after the Destiny interview exposed his neo-nazi belief system, he started letting loose on Twitter about his other alt-right views.

There are still videos on YouTube that try to analyze the moment that Arin and Jon stopped talking or why neither of them have acknowledged "what happened". Why Arin cut him off long before that interview after briefly attempting to rekindle their friendship and agreeing to appear in a Star Wars video for him.

I can read between the lines. I know the internet hates "new woke Arin" but considering all of Arin's comments on his old work, his apologies and him gently debating with GG fans to explain why some of his old jokes are not ok, it's evident.

And if that's not enough, look at the Reddit threads about GG Live events when audience members ask him if he'll ever talk to Jon again. Or you know, Danny's comments - which are brief but I'm pretty sure he once said "nope, dude is super racist!"

Fuck all the Jontron apologists.

Dude is the exact same person and his tweet today proves it.

I remember disliking him and I remember him saying racist things, but re-watching this was great to refresh why it's sad to see people try to forget this.

Yup. Everytime someone tries to downplay what he said as "clumsy", "just a joke" or "not that bad" I link them to the interview and tell them to listen to it again.

It is that bad. And he's not joking. These are his beliefs.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't forget.

People still claim "he apologized" but his apology was him literally doubling down on his comments.

He would later write panels for Breitbart and after the Destiny interview exposed his neo-nazi belief system, he started letting loose on Twitter about his other alt-right views.

There are still videos on YouTube that try to analyze the moment that Arin and Jon stopped talking or why neither of them have acknowledged "what happened". Why Arin cut him off long before that interview after briefly attempting to rekindle their friendship and agreeing to appear in a Star Wars video for him.

I can read between the lines. I know the internet hates "new woke Arin" but considering all of Arin's comments on his old work, his apologies and him gently debating with GG fans to explain why some of his old jokes are not ok, it's evident.

And if that's not enough, look at the Reddit threads about GG Live events when audience members ask him if he'll ever talk to Jon again. Or you know, Danny's comments - which are brief but I'm pretty sure he once said "nope, dude is super racist!"

Fuck all the Jontron apologists.

Dude is the exact same person and his tweet today proves it.

Yup. Everytime someone tries to downplay what he said as "clumsy", "just a joke" or "not that bad" I link them to the interview and tell them to listen to it again.

It is that bad. And he's not joking. These are his beliefs.
If we're thinking of the same game grumps live video, they asked them whether Jon would ever return as a guest star to which they said due to recent findings, that ain't happening ever to which the crowd started clapping. So most folks by now have moved on and their audience remaining by now who is going to these live events are among the ones arin wants to keep anyways.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
If we're thinking of the same game grumps live video, they asked them whether Jon would ever return as a guest star to which they said due to recent findings, that ain't happening ever to which the crowd started clapping. So most folks by now have moved on and their audience remaining by now who is going to these live events are among the ones arin wants to keep anyways.
That's great. That's not the one I read about.

The one I read has Arin flatly saying that he had no plans to talk to him again and Danny kinda cringed and made a snarky comment that alluding to Jon being a racist.

Could have been a different interpretation of the same event but it seems too different. Either way, good.

It's also possible that Arin stopped talking to Jon for different reasons since they ended their friendship long before the Destiny thing (there are some ridiculously gossipy YouTube videos that I used to be recommended, one saying that Jon was cruel to Arin's wife and didn't like her being allowed to post videos to the channel). Who knows. I just hope they never relax their position on him.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's great. That's not the one I read about.

The one I read has Arin flatly saying that he had no plans to talk to him again and Danny kinda cringed and made a snarky comment that alluding to Jon being a racist.

Could have been a different interpretation of the same event but it seems too different. Either way, good.

It's also possible that Arin stopped talking to Jon for different reasons since they ended their friendship long before the Destiny thing. Who knows. I just hope they never relax their position on him.

This is the one I was thinking of. Seemed to have happened early on since they said "due to recent things he said"

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
I haven't forgotten. Unsubbed from him they day I saw the livestream. Used to really enjoy his content (that I'm sure i'd find cringey now lol).

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Yeah JonTron is trash.

But I can't hate on people who still associate with him, because honestly some of my IRL friends have some dumb ass opinions too. It sucks, but sometimes the world is more gray than you'd like.

As long as the completionist and jakey aren't being racist or defending JonTron, then I'll still watch them.
I understand and appreciate your sympathetic viewpoint, and some of my friends have poor opinions too. But if any of them actually thought that black people would dilute the "gene pool" and shared JonTron's views on immigration and such, I would immediately disown them as friends. That's too much of a fundamental world view that I would totally lose respect for that person. I wouldn't be able to relate to them on a real level ever again.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was never funny or entertaining in the first place. He is a racist piece of shit and has a huge gamer fan base. That sounds about right.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
People still love JonTron for the same reasons people still love 6ix9ine, they simply don't care about the bad they have done, because it does not directly affect them. They just want to be entertained, and don't give a shit about the person behind it. The whole "separate art from artist" bullshit.

As for other Youtubers, a lot of them publicly stopped associating with him likely for business reasons, but kept seeing him as a friend because it's easier to talk big game about not wanting to deal with intolerance than it is to actually cut people out of your life.

Egoraptor specifically though, he seems to have a fair bit of regret for his earlier years and the kind of culture he helped contribute to, I would imagine giving JonTron a platform included. I'd be surprised to see if he was still interacting with him.