• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
latest
latest
latest
fLHxho3.jpg

Want to take the time to give a shot out to manga artist Keisuki Itagaki(Grappler Baki) who has the superpower of being able to draw black people and their facial features without being a racist caricature.

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is going on with the bans in this threads? One month bans for discussing the matter? Okay, some people don't seem to understand what black facing is about. In Germany this issue is rarely being discussed and I'm pretty sure many of my friends don't know anything about that issue at all. I can omly imagine that members located in the US sensitized to black facing. How about a mod intervention explaining the problem with those post? These actions feel super-extreme and not helpful at all to a proper discussion culture.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Between this and whatever the fuck was happening in terraformers , I've kinda given up black people being depicted with respect in most manga.
This.

I mean, I get anime fans excusing this, anime fans are trash that think people don't have access to Google or something. But black anime fans need to do better.

Especially better than this series. We need to start making our own, because Japan by in large does not give a shit about any of us.

Thank the mods for finally punishing Europeans that plead ignorance. They are the most annoying in these threads.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
What the hell is going on with the bans in this threads? One month bans for discussing the matter? Okay, some people don't seem to understand what black facing is about. In Germany this issue is rarely being discussed and I'm pretty sure many of my friends don't know anything about that issue at all. I can omly imagine that members located in the US sensitized to black facing. How about a mod intervention explaining the problem with those post? These actions feel super-extreme and not helpful at all to a proper discussion culture.

Germans know exactly what blackface is:

10 years ago Walraff was criticised because for his documentary about "black people in Germany" he literally did a blackface.
Sonneborn was criticised for his blackface.
And in 2014 "blackfacing" became the "english word of 2014" in Germany.

wallraff-schwarz.jpg

obama.png

Also it has been in the (German) news since a few years regarding Zwarte Piet and whether to paint a childrens face black for the three wise men.

Oct 27, 2017

10 years ago Walraff was criticised because for his documentary about "black people in Germany" he literally did a blackface.

wallraff-schwarz.jpg

obama.png

Also it has been in the (German) news since a few years regarding Zwarte Piet and whether to paint a childrens face black for the three wise men.
I'm really tired of the Europeans aren't racist because they don't know about blackface schtick. If I, a black American can know and be sensitive about various other countries cultures and not do things like dress up like a samurai and dance around or wear a WW2 German Army uniform, you guys can know that painting your face brown isn't smart

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't claim that all Germans haven't heart about blackface, I claimed that many here do not understand why it is a problem. Each time blackfacing happens we a have a discussion whether it is a problem at all. And yes, I know plenty of people who haven't heard about blackface at all. It is a topic that is simply not present at all times here.

Anyway stating "it is blackface!"(which I don't see as a simply given looking at the OP and the further replies) by banning people who are discussing the matter is not helping the cause at all. Just look at the definition used at the English Wikipedia:
Blackface is a term used in the United States for a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
Plenty of room to argue. I guess it would be much easier to agree on an answer to the question whether if the events mentioned in the OP can be considered racist.

Last edited:

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I didn't claim that Germany haven't heart about blackface, I claimed that many here do not understand why it is a problem. Each time blackfacing happens we a have a discussion whether it is a problem at all.
If everytime the problems with blackface are brought up, they wave it away as a non-issue and choose to remain ignorant, that's on them.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think making him a black kid in the backstory fixes the actual design though. It merely removes him being blackface in the context of the manga world but he's still a black caricature to readers.

That's besides the fact that I get pretty tired of a lot of black characters in Japanese fiction being massive, musclebound brute that dwarf the other characters.

I never noticed how big Barrett was in that image, specifically his feet. Tifa could fit inside of his friggin boot like Mario in a Kuribo Shoe. Definitely a trope I'm going to notice a lot more from now on...

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I didn't claim that Germany haven't heart about blackface, I claimed that many here do not understand why it is a problem. Each time blackfacing happens we a have a discussion whether it is a problem at all.

Remind me Apex Legends Streamer Thread from Last Years. Some Era People here don't know/heard/understand about this.

Heck, I just learn about this 4-3 years ago on the old site.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Ignorance isn't an excuse

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This.

I mean, I get anime fans excusing this, anime fans are trash that think people don't have access to Google or something. But black anime fans need to do better.

Especially better than this series. We need to start making our own, because Japan by in large does not give a shit about any of us.

Thank the mods for finally punishing Europeans that plead ignorance. They are the most annoying in these threads.
What do you mean we "need to do better"? Black anime fans can decide what's beyond the pale for them on an individual basis just like anyone else.

If you're interested in manga by black people you should check out Saturday AM. Their who concept is essentially being a diverse Shonen Jump.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Rationalising bigotry. History of tone policing in threads concerning bigotry.
Ignorance isn't an excuse
1) Read my further replies. I think one can easily argue that the (stupid) explanation brought up in OPM might not even be blackface judging by common blackface definitions.
2) It's not just about ignorance. While there might be a broad consensus in the US about blackface there is none in Europe. There are many reasons for that and I feel that the issue is worth discussing. Just slapping anyone across the face daring to discuss blackface won't bring us anywhere.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
latest
latest
latest
fLHxho3.jpg

Want to take the time to give a shot out to manga artist Keisuki Itagaki(Grappler Baki) who has the superpower of being able to draw black people and their facial features without being a racist caricature.
This manga is crazy as fuck but god damn, it arguably has the best representation of any manga I've ever read. Heck wasn't Obama in it as well ?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's blackface, and I hoped it was changed for the Murata version.

Sadly it looks like they chose to keep it that way.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
2) While there might be a broad consensus in the US about blackface there is none in Europe. There are many reasons for that and I feel that the issue is worth discussing. Just slapping anyone across the face daring to discuss blackface won't bring us anywhere.

Ignoring your stupid #1... I was looking at this and trying to imagine valid reasons but this is actually ridiculous. Why does this happen in every Blackface thread? Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the explanations have been made throughout this thread. There are always people like you that will excuse any depictions of racism in any thread like this, ignoring everything else so you can make those excuses. Explanations are meaningless.
*sigh* It is racist. I never claimed that the depiction wasn't. Racism has many faces. I just don't see how this fits the blackface definition.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
1) Read my further replies. I think one can easily argue that the (stupid) explanation brought up in OPM might not even be blackface judging by common blackface definitions.
2) It's not just about ignorance. While there might be a broad consensus in the US about blackface there is none in Europe. There are many reasons for that and I feel that the issue is worth discussing. Just slapping anyone across the face daring to discuss blackface won't bring us anywhere.
You know what forum you're on and you should know this line of questioning will not go well for you.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
*sigh* It is racist. I never claimed that the depiction wasn't. Racism has many faces. I just don't see how this fits the blackface definition.
EVERY. SINGLE. DAMN. TIME.

We have had "discussions" on this topic every few months, both here and at the old place. It is TIRING.

I nor any person who has had to constantly explain why my skin tone is not a costume, nor why these depictions are all based on horrible and harmful stereotypes (based in the minstrelsy of the early 19th century, which then were picked up and used in other countries besides the US) and need to end, should have to treat you with kids gloves and explain it every single time. It might as well be a full-time job.

You need to look this up on your own. If you see a thread like this one, and don't understand it, there is Google/Bing/Yahoo, etc. We shouldn't have to explain it to you like a child every single time. And once you have learned about it, if you are still adamant and ignorant to why it's offensive, then I can't help you. That's on you.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
What do you mean we "need to do better"? Black anime fans can decide what's beyond the pale for them on an individual basis just like anyone else.

If you're interested in manga by black people you should check out Saturday AM. Their who concept is essentially being a diverse Shonen Jump.
We clearly tend to rep characters that aren't black without notice from the content creators who haven't made it clear the ethnicity of these characters in the first place.

Or we choose characters that clearly aren't black to rep, like say Piccolo.

With how many black people have propped up DBZ, you would think they would make like one black character of moderate importance at this point, but they don't.

They don't because these creators, by in large, clearly give no fucks about their fanbase outside of Japan. So I feel you have to treat their content under that lens and with that expectation.

So that is why I mean we have to do better. We prop up people who don't deserve our money or time.

I mean enjoy what you enjoy, everything doesn't have to have representation, but guys like this, the terraformer guy, and the writer who made his like only black character into a demonic chicken definitely should not be getting anything from us.

Last edited:

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
Honestly while reading the manga in the past years I always thought his skin tone was a reference to the darker tone of high carbon steel alloys (with the character's name leading into that).
I never thought about him neither being tanned nor black, rather figuring he had dark metallic appearance - this is what I always extrapolated from the b/w drawings. Never watched the anime version and as I'm seeing in the pictures now, certainly this opens me to a new perspective. The anime version is pretty blatant, but I wonder if it's the anime studio's fault for this, since I still think my theory makes sense for the manga version

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
2020, people still using every imaginable mental gymnastic to justify blackface. The here in Europe one is particularly trash.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

As a black man living in Europe it's so frustrating to read over and over and over again how Europe supposedly has no idea about the different ways racism can exist, and in some cases what racism itself is.

When reading this I always know that it's either:

a ) Some American who has such an US-centric view of the world that the person can't even imagine that the discosussions about social issues may also exist overseas or

b) a racist piece of shit that ran out of options to excuse the discussed piece of racism and thus pretends to be the person from example a.

Oh yeah, this applies to misogyny and lgbt+phobia as well, but I see more often on relation to racial discussions.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah there shouldn't be any confusion or defense of this. It's just fucked. Doesn't really matter if they are this ignorant or unaware of the issue or are doing this because of prior backlash over Darkshine's depiction being seen as a racist caricature and thinking making him non-black fixes that(even intending it the whole time). It's just bad in so many ways.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Japan not knowing much about blackface might have been an excuse in past decades - cultural homogeneity, etc. - but in the modern world, this is much less true.

This is from a couple of years ago, it got global attention: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/world/asia/japan-comedian-blackface.html

The comedians involved - from the comedy duo Downtown - were really embarrassed about what they did. I remember my wife watching one of their variety shows after this controversy, and one of the members said that they felt ashamed about their ignorance about this issue and that they made it look like Japan was a cultural backwater that was disconnected from the rest of the world's history. It got tons of attention in Japan itself and was definitely a big talking point on the news. People know about this now. Whether they care or not is another question, of course.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Honestly while reading the manga in the past years I always thought his skin tone was a reference to the darker tone of high carbon steel alloys (with the character's name leading into that).
I never thought about him neither being tanned nor black, rather figuring he had dark metallic appearance - this is what I always extrapolated from the b/w drawings. Never watched the anime version and as I'm seeing in the pictures now, certainly this opens me to a new perspective. The anime version is pretty blatant, but I wonder if it's the anime studio's fault for this, since I still think my theory makes sense for the manga version

From Volume 21 Inside Cover. Murata Colour Him Black.

CKqPypW.jpg

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
We clearly tend to rep characters that aren't black without notice from the content creators who haven't made it clear the ethnicity of these characters in the first place.

Or we choose characters that clearly aren't black to rep, like say Piccolo.

With how many black people have propped up DBZ, you would think they would make like one black character of moderate importance at this point, but they don't.

They don't because these creators, by in large, clearly give no fucks about their fanbase outside of Japan. So I feel you have to treat their content under that lense and with that expectation.

So that is why I mean we have to do better. We prop up people who don't deserve our money or time.
If someone is making content I want to see they are worth my money and/or time. I consider origin and context, but the presence of absense of black people is rarely going to be the determining factor to if I decide to partake in some form of media. That's a decision everyone gets to make on their own.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Get the fuck outta here with this bullshit

I'm from Europe and I know its wrong. Your ignorance is disingenuous.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Japan not knowing much about blackface might have been an excuse in past decades - cultural homogeneity, etc. - but in the modern world, this is much less true.

This is from a couple of years ago, it got global attention: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/world/asia/japan-comedian-blackface.html

The comedians involved - from the comedy duo Downtown - were really embarrassed about what they did. I remember my wife watching one of their variety shows after this controversy, and one of the members said that they felt ashamed about their ignorance about this issue and that they made it look like Japan was a cultural backwater that was disconnected from the rest of the world's history. It got tons of attention in Japan itself and was definitely a big talking point on the news. People know about this now. Whether they care or not is another question, of course.

I was just watching the 2010 batsu game and a different comedian was in blackface as Eddy Murphy on the bus ride. So this happened in 2010 and 2018.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Then why the lips when pretty much everyone else has a line for a mouth?