• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 20, 2021
variety.com

Neil Patrick Harris on His First On-Camera Gay Sex Scene in ‘Uncoupled,’ Fake Penises and Joining ‘Doctor Who’

The actor talks about the Netflix series, joining "Doctor Who" and stripping down to his underwear hosting the Oscars in 2015.

Harris recently returned from shooting the new season of "Doctor Who" in Wales. Showrunner Russell T Davis offered him a role after they worked together on "It's a Sin," HBO Max's limited series about the early days of the AIDS epidemic. "Sex Education" star Ncuti Gatwa will make his debut as the new incarnation of the Doctor.

"I got to meet and interact with him a bit and he's glorious," Harris says of Gatwa. "He'll be the first gay Doctor, which is going to be super cool, a sexier Doctor."

I don't think Ncuti's ever discussed his sexuality in public so this is REALLY bad form for NPH to just drop this in an interview

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
That reads like the character is gay not the actor to me.

Otherwise a shitty way to out someone if the other way.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like he's talking about the character. Hoping he didn't put the guy, though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That reads like the character is gay not the actor.
I don't think he would be the first gay doctor. If I remember rightly, in the last episode, the 13th doctor said if she could be with someone, it'll be her companion Yaz, but she is afraid of committing and Yaz is just human and will die soon, compared to the doctor's lifespan. (her story also hasn't finished, so there may be some resolution with Yaz, we'll see)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they hire a straight man to play the "first gay doctor" though, if that's what NPH was applauding?

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the character of The Doctor is gay. Which is kind of odd because The Doctor has made allusions and attractions to partners of all kinds since 9 at least, so I'm not sure if the character can really even be classified as gay. So maybe it is an outing, or at least an acknowledgement of something the actor themselves don't discuss which is kinda shitty.

Last edited:

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen plenty of articles announce the first queer doctor when he was announced. I think he's out already.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't presume someone is straight because they aren't public about their sexuality.

Thanks!

Thats not what I'm doing, im responding more to the people saying "He was talking about the character not the actor".. What I'm saying is if NPH were applauding the "first gay doctor" I would assume he was talking about the person/actor, not the character. Im not too familiar with Doctor Who but if this really were the first time the character is gay, wouldn't you want it played by a gay actor, is I guess what im asking?

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
He wasn't out already? That's pretty shocking.
Also, this in invariably referring to the actor, the Dr has been portrayed as pan for as long as I can remember

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I think "outed" is a very strong term in this case as the actor simply doesn't talk about his sexuality but doesn't hide it either.

Oct 27, 2017
Thats not what I'm doing, im responding more to the people saying "He was talking about the character not the actor".. What I'm saying is if NPH were applauding the "first gay doctor" I would assume he was talking about the person/actor, not the character. Im not too familiar with Doctor Who but if this really were the first time the character is gay, wouldn't you want it played by a gay actor, is I guess what im asking?
Russell T. Davies is showrunner again and I find it hard to believe he wouldn't cast a gay actor if given the chance, so I follow your point.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the character of The Doctor is gay. Which is kind of odd because The Doctor has made allusions and attractions to partners of all kinds since 9 at least, so I'm not sure if the character can really even be classified as gay.
My interpretation is it's different's people inheriting the memories and striving to ''the promise of the doctor'' as Steven Moffat wrote. Some of them are so different from one another.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Sounds like the character of The Doctor is gay. Which is kind of odd because The Doctor has made allusions and attractions to partners of all kinds since 9 at least, so I'm not sure if the character can really even be classified as gay. So maybe it is an outing, or at least an acknowledgement of something the actor themselves don't discuss which is kinda shitty.

Regeneration changes ya man.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a story thing to me rather than "outing". It's more notable being the first black actor to play the doctor imo.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
Previous Doctors have been pan, 13 is at least into Yaz. I don't know how he couldn't be referring to Ncuti and instead the character, unless the new Doctor is specifically gay and not pan? Definitely a bummer if he just outed the real person...

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly seems the wrong choice of words. If this incarnation of the Doctor is openly a gay man (9,10 and 11 all pushed towards at bisexual and 13 was nearly explicitly confirmed) then it's a great thing because representation is representation.

Right now there's some gammons still holding on to hope that "doctor who won't go woke and make a gay doctor" just because they don't like gay people. It's pretty much a certainty and the Doctor has nearly always exhibited a very casual Xenosexuality/Pansexuality but they have never went into the Doctors love life heavily outside of Rose having a prominent on screen gay relationship would be fantastic for a number of reasons.

It's a spoiler because it's an unknown at this point that's it. It's not so much about "why is sexuality a topic" it's more that the reality is that it's going to make waves and rightly so because forcing the phobics to accept reality and drinking their tears should always be celebrated.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It really reads as the character being gay. The Doctor's personality changes with every incarnation, so there's nothing false to say other incarnations have been pan, or lesbian, and this one is gay. Looking at twitter, I'm not seeing anyone else even interpret it as referring to the actor. I hope interpretations like the OP's don't catch on because ironically it would put undue pressure on the actor.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Sadly seems the wrong choice of words. If this incarnation of the Doctor is openly a gay man (9,10 and 11 all pushed towards at bisexual and 13 was nearly explicitly confirmed) then it's a great thing because representation is representation.

Right now there's some gammons still holding on to hope that "doctor who won't go woke and make a gay doctor" just because they don't like gay people. It's pretty much a certainty and the Doctor has nearly always exhibited a very casual Xenosexuality/Pansexuality but they have never went into the Doctors love life heavily outside of Rose having a prominent on screen gay relationship would be fantastic for a number of reasons.

It's a spoiler because it's an unknown at this point that's it. It's not so much about "why is sexuality a topic" it's more that the reality is that it's going to make waves and rightly so because forcing the phobics to accept reality and drinking their tears should always be celebrated.

No, it's the choice of words I go with. I don't understand the hostility here.

I'm not saying sadly because it's scandalous. I'm a queer person. I'm a little offended that I have to reaffirm that.

I'm saying sadly because we still live in a world where threads like this are necessary.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's the choice of words I go with. I don't understand the hostility here.

I'm not saying sadly because it's scandalous. I'm a queer person. I'm a little offended that I have to reaffirm that.

I'm saying sadly because we still live in a world where threads like this are necessary.
You didn't have to reaffirm it, I'm sorry if I offended you.

No hostility intended at all.

It sucks we live in a world where sexuality is so controversial I agree but personally I'm choosing to just take the win with Doctor Who here and not look at any negatives from the situation because the whole thing has me excited.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think NPH will even cross paths with Ncuti's Doctor in the show so I assume "first gay Doctor" is in reference to Ncuti himself. It wouldn't be accurate either since Jodie is the first gay Doctor!

I also thought Ncuti was already out anyway? This certainly isn't the first time he's been referred to as the first gay actor to play the Doctor…

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if we assume Ncuti never discusses his sexuality, would he have discussed it with NPH? They barely even interacted with each other according to the article.

So either Ncuti is already out and this isn't outing, or Ncuti's sexuality is not known and NPH doesn't know it either.

I think he's talking about the character.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
"The first gay doctor".

Not "The first gay actor to play the first gay doctor".

So I don't think he did out him, no.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
The Doctor has been pan for quite some time. It's been pointed out that the latest is possibly gay, though it's never implicitly stated. Ncuti plays an openly gay man in his previous role. Perhaps Ncuti is out already and he doesn't intend on ever formally announcing it and it's just known? Idk. Seems like NPH may have effed up. Or perhaps he just doesn't know what he's talking about? He may not be a big Doctor Who fan and just assumed the previous ones weren't pan or were straight.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine he just assumed Ncuti is gay because he was commonly reported as such during news coverage of his Doctor casting announcement (and these reports themselves just assumed based on Sex Education). Given it doesn't seem like he'll be acting alongside Ncuti, I doubt he has inside information about that. More likely he just saw a Twitter post from a friend going "First gay Doctor!" and didn't think any further about it.