• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did Microsoft did a good job taking over the Minecraft IP?

• Yes

Votes: 2,348 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 88 3.4%
  • Too early to say...

Votes: 163 6.3%

• Total voters

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
One of the best deals ever made by Microsoft

Minecraft is evergreen

Imagine how much money they will make with Minecraft 2

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I guess OP missed the 200 million sold and 123 million active monthly users announcement.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean, profit on day one?
They certainly didn't get two point five billions dollars in revenue in one day.
Offcourse. But like i said. That 2.5b was in a offshore account. It was kinda sitting there as they couldnt bring it back to states because of taxes.
So they couldnt really use it otherwise.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only good move MS has done when it comes to acquiring a dev

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft is so popular it survived its "Uggh Only kids play minecraft" phase, now people use it as "I play real games like Minecraft, not kiddie games like Fortnite".

Its part of pop culture now.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are ya'll sourcing the fact that they made a profit on it?
I mean, they probably did considering 80m sales and merch\dlc, but it'd be nice to have a source. Upkeep ain't free, either

They have definitely made an accounting profit which is the only profit they and investors would care about.

Essentially the 2.5bn doesn't mean anything and doesn't go against the profitability of the entity.

As others have pointed out sales have jumped by 100+m so they have probably made the cash spent back aswell

From a divisional point of view its relatively safe to say mojang has made a profit from year 1 onwards. Probably not day one.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It paid off for Microsoft, but it hasn't done much for the game itself, has it? They could have taken the game to the next level, but they haven't.

What other level should they have taken it to? It's grown massively in popularity and functionality since the acquisition.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It paid off for Microsoft, but it hasn't done much for the game itself, has it? They could have taken the game to the next level, but they haven't.

Minecraft with ray tracing looks gorgeous. I believe the one below if from mods, the one below that is from Nvidia's RTX. But the future for Minecraft is exciting.

Like man. Is this really Minecraft? I don't play the game but how it looks makes me want to play it.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
@ those talking about a minecraft 2... I doubt there will ever be a sequel. They'll just keep updating the core game. THAT makes more sense than starting the playerbase over from scratch.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
9Ss95t8.jpg

What does this even mean?
I love this possum so fucking much

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not into Minecraft but you can't deny that it is still hugely popular, so yes I'd say it paid off and then some

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
You'd have to be a ill informed to think it hasn't paid off for Microsoft - Minecraft is an IP that has entered the echelon of video game properties that have defined their generations and ascended into broader pop culture - among Mario, Halo, Call of Duty, Fortnite, and other franchises of that caliber. Decades from now, Microsoft will be able to derive value from the license (either through the ongoing success of the platform, and/or from the nostalgia.)

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Mine Craft has more than paid off.
Mine Craft was around 55 Million when it was purchased and now its around 200 million. Add to that Microtransactions, expansions and Merchandising.
I wouldn't be surprised if MS has tripled that money.
Its also a big reason Nadella believes in Phil as an Xbox Visionary.
Indirectly its the reason Phil has been allowed to improve the Xbox division so quickly and drastically.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know a single Minecraft player who doesn't think the game has flourished and then some under Microsoft.