• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
ah no?

They showed 9 games from their own studios, how is that 90% of games multiplatform?

Christ it was a rough figure. I didn't go in search of statistics. Chill.

The point I was making was they showed a couple of exclusives, but most of the ones people are hyped about are actually times exclusives, and I don't think many people realise that. Project Athena, Stray, Kena, little Devil Inside and even Deathloop are multipltform. So while they were fresh, they were also revealing multi platform games.

Ratchet looks amazing but if you get down to the technical level you can see why and how it's still possible on team green) and horizon while gorgeous looked a bit less amazing than I was expecting in some shots, but played it very, very safe. Demons Souls looked great but it's mix of CG and I game coupled with a very odd feeling of "this looks like a souls game with high res textures" Took the shine off (still utterly gorgeous, and between that and ratchet were my games of the show).

In short, the actual show didn't have much when it came down to it, and very little was there for people wanting experiences not possible on the other console. In fact, nothing was impossible on the other console.

It wasn't a good show. But it was also very clear they were keeping some stuff back because they knew MS hadn't shown their stuff yet. I anticipate a big Sony drop in August to counter any positive vibes Xbox give off, even if they just show games years off in the future. Anything to stop people taking good stuff about Xbox, a thing some people will hang you for, for some reason.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
All of this still had nothing to do with June. 20/20 is the marketing campaign until release with every month something. From events to articles to interviews etc.
They had a may event and end of may a BC talk, in June they had the smart delivery talk and talks with devs and in July is planned another event and probably more articles. So no they didnt stop after a month. Its still happening and will continue to happen. if you expect monthly events well thats on you. They are doing exactly what they are announced. Time to move on.

Jan 20, 2019
Christ it was a rough figure. I didn't go in search of statistics. Chill.

The point I was making was they showed a couple of exclusives, but most of the ones people are hyped about are actually times exclusives, and I don't think many people realise that. Project Athena, Stray, Kena, little Devil Inside and even Deathloop are multipltform. So while they were fresh, they were also revealing multi platform games.

Ratchet looks amazing but if you get down to the technical level you can see why and how it's still possible on team green) and horizon while gorgeous looked a bit less amazing than I was expecting in some shots, but played it very, very safe. Demons Souls looked great but it's mix of CG and I game coupled with a very odd feeling of "this looks like a souls game with high res textures" Took the shine off (still utterly gorgeous, and between that and ratchet were my games of the show).

In short, the actual show didn't have much when it came down to it, and very little was there for people wanting experiences not possible on the other console. In fact, nothing was impossible on the other console.

It wasn't a good show. But it was also very clear they were keeping some stuff back because they knew MS hadn't shown their stuff yet. I anticipate a big Sony drop in August to counter any positive vibes Xbox give off, even if they just show games years off in the future. Anything to stop people taking good stuff about Xbox, a thing some people will hang you for, for some reason.

That is not search in to statistics, that is being wrong all the way trough and you double down on it,

So, nobody is hyped about Demon Souls, Horizon or Spider Man? Because that is what most peopel are hyped about it.

I do agree, it wanst a amazing show but it was a good one, no reason to downplay it like you are doing right now.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Where did I say nobody was hyped about demon souls? When I myself just said... it one was of the best games shown for me...?

Eh?

the event wasn't as good as it should have been. It could have been called the last event of us 2, for clarity.

OHCOMMON

Banned
May 15, 2020
i don't see how the event could have been better, they didn't pull any punch. It just somehow left most people saying "ok cool".

Probably has to do with the fact that nothing looked that visually mind blowing, most hype stuff were timed exclusives (wish straight up just annoys people), and then no actual exclusive was confirmed for the consol launch other than a spiderman standalone dlc

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
This.
I mean the Xbox 20/20 thing was already announced post COVID so it's hard to blame the lockdown. They didn't have anything at all to share this month ? I get that Lockhart was moved away, but you don't have a single piece of news to unveil ? xCloud news maybe ? the new UI ?
It's a bit harsh to say it's hard to trust them because they seemingly didn't announce 'news' every months like they said. Technically they talked about the integration of xCloud within Facebook, does that count? They were probably referring to the rumoured Lockheart event which got postponed, but that doesn't make them unreliable.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I see, I assumed there's always *something* monthly that'll be branded as part of 20/20, be it IX, July Event, Press Preview, new blogpost drop or whatnot.
That was my understanding as well when they said it would be monthly.

For instance, will the july event be branded as Xbox 20/20 like the may event was ?

Alienware

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Italy
They never established it so they never "delayed" it but clearly it's what happened.
I'm guessing they had something planned in the first two weeks of June but with all the other conferences (Summer of Gaming, Guerrilla, Steam, EA, Sony, CDPR) rescheduled due to Black Lives Matter they just scrapped it altogether instead of having it too close to the july first party presentation event.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Again, I don't know how they could have emphasized on monthly even more than repeating it 3 times in 3 lines :
They said monthly information. They never said an event every month.

In fact they announced the initiative by announcing the may inside xbox and the July showcase, and immediately telling us that June news would be different from those.

So sorry, but it's a confusion that you made yourselves.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sony's conference was not "amazing". It had a couple of good games that were exclusive and a shot load of bullshit paid for timed exclusive titles. Most of the games I actually felt hype for are coming to Xbox. Ratchet was the best looking game there, not that that's an issue, Ratchet is awesome.

Was it better than the Xbox one? Yes. But the Xbox one was an inside Xbox event and was hyped up wrong, it wasn't supposed to be their equivalent.

If you take out all the fancy and totally pointless cgi playstation symbols, the PlayStation event lasts about half as long. Add disclaimers that90% of the games were multiplatform, and it looks even worse.

The PlayStation event was all slick, for sure, but it wasn't amazing.
It wasn't bad, but I was shocked at how... mundane it was.

Playstation consoles are always announced with tons of gigantic exclusives from 3rd party, with some games and demos that literally look too good to be true (and unfortunately they are, but that's on another point), and the event was really lacking in that regard.

Then again, could be an effect of this shirt situation we are in, with a constant stream of soulless events in the hope that over the course of a few months we will have enough stuff to get excited about these new consoles.

Needless to say, worst hype run until new consoles launch ever :(

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
They said monthly information. They never said an event every month.

In fact they announced the initiative by announcing the may inside xbox and the July showcase, and immediately telling us that June news would be different from those.

So sorry, but it's a confusion that you made yourselves.
I find it hard to believe that a small series of interview was really the intended Xbox 20/20 news drop of June. You can look up on Twitter for people asking about the Xbox 20/20 all the way during June, and a few people on this thread have shared how confusing it is. Again stop implying I was expecting somekind of event/inside xbox when I clearly stated right in the first post that Aaron Greenberg said early May the news drop of June would be done differently.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
Sony can delay and postpone events due to Covid 19 and Riots, when MS delays postpones events "it's hard to trust them". I understand the rules of this game now.
Pretty sure you're aware that the reason they delayed their event is because of a specific event happening on that day, and also they only delayed it by a week and were very upfront about it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm a fan of Xbox so far, I don't know what you're getting at

However, I want to hold companies accountable for their promises that's all.
They promised news every month leading up to the release of Series X. We got a event in may and several articles, interviews and one big announcement regarding xCloud in june and in july we are getting the first party event. The lockhart event was a rumor and nothing else.
No, I honestly believe MS had some major announcements to share this month . I think It was pushed because of how well received Sony's conference was. I believe they went back to the drawing board and is trying to make a stronger event for July.
You won't be able to change events within a month. All those gameplay demos and so on need to be created beforehand. You can learn and make some adjustments, but you won't get back to the drawing board.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It wasn't bad, but I was shocked at how... mundane it was.

Playstation consoles are always announced with tons of gigantic exclusives from 3rd party, with some games and demos that literally look too good to be true (and unfortunately they are, but that's on another point), and the event was really lacking in that regard.

Then again, could be an effect of this shirt situation we are in, with a constant stream of soulless events in the hope that over the course of a few months we will have enough stuff to get excited about these new consoles.

Needless to say, worst hype run until new consoles launch ever :(
I think most public precieved the event as one of the better gaming events based on most popular youtbers (youtubers with more than 500k views on their ps5 stream)and social media statistics ratios of likes and engagements( as it was the biggest online gaming event ever based on numbers) . For me it was amazing maybe you had unrealistic expectations ?

I guess not everyone can be happy with everything .

dancmc

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
it's fair to say that they have shared news this month. However, they rolled out an Xbox 20/20 branding as their communication strategy but then have not referred to it very often. Why create a branding strategy when you are not really following it. I get that things are fluid and dynamic; but the impression that was given when this branding was launched was that there was a cohesive and well developed messaging leading up to release and now it feels a little off kilter. Not saying that the sky is falling or anything; but would be good to recenter. If things have changed for any number of reasons, then it would also be great to hear from MS about how they are changing and get a little more transparency as to what is going on. I understand the June "event" was never confirmed from MS, so there was never something truly on the calendar. But if there was internal plans for a June news event which got moved and changed to a later date, then MS should realize that they would have a void in their news release calendar and compensated by either replacing it with something else or maybe moving up their actual announcement for when the July showcase would happen (why haven't they announced the July showcase date?). There was a lot of criticism of Sony up until the start of their PR campaign for their silence and a lot of praise for MS for their transparency and now it just feels to me that there is a little bit of a flip of that perception.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
No, I honestly believe MS had some major announcements to share this month . I think It was pushed because of how well received Sony's conference was. I believe they went back to the drawing board and is trying to make a stronger event for July.
How well received it was? Huh? It was an average event. MS should have no problem topping it, and they obviously didn't move anything back because of it.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
it's fair to say that they have shared news this month. However, they rolled out an Xbox 20/20 branding as their communication strategy but then have not referred to it very often. Why create a branding strategy when you are not really following it. I get that things are fluid and dynamic; but the impression that was given when this branding was launched was that there was a cohesive and well developed messaging leading up to release and now it feels a little off kilter. Not saying that the sky is falling or anything; but would be good to recenter. If things have changed for any number of reasons, then it would also be great to hear from MS about how they are changing and get a little more transparency as to what is going on. I understand the June "event" was never confirmed from MS, so there was never something truly on the calendar. But if there was internal plans for a June news event which got moved and changed to a later date, then MS should realize that they would have a void in their news release calendar and compensated by either replacing it with something else or maybe moving up their actual announcement for when the July showcase would happen (why haven't they announced the July showcase date?). There was a lot of criticism of Sony up until the start of their PR campaign for their silence and a lot of praise for MS for their transparency and now it just feels to me that there is a little bit of a flip of that perception.
FondOptimalDuiker-size_restricted.gif

ViviFF9

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
When you compare it to MS's initial showing of games in May, It was amazing. MS event left a bad taste is a lot of people's mouth. Can MS put on a better show than Sony in July? I hope so!

Sorry but that PS5 event was straight doodoo. I think MS must have been actually feeling good after that show if that's the best Sony could put together.

ViviFF9

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think most public precieved the event as one of the better gaming events based on most popular youtbers (youtubers with more than 500k views on their ps5 stream)and social media statistics ratios of likes and engagements( as it was the biggest online gaming event ever based on numbers) . For me it was amazing maybe you had unrealistic expectations ?

I guess not everyone can be happy with everything .

You can't gage how people received the the PS5 event based on IG and Twitter likes... Two platforms where all you can do is like.

Also after months and months of almost radio silence thank God that the YouTube views are actually high don't you think? Especially since we're on lockdown on top of that.

You can have a better and more nuanced view on what people thought about the event on platforms where you can discuss such as forums and it's not a coincidence that the general consensus seems to be that Sony had a okay-ish showing. Not bad or anything, just nothing special at all considering it was the PS5 reveal. Hell it wasn't even one of Sony's own best showings in the last 10 years or so.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
You can't gage how people received the the PS5 event based on IG and Twitter likes... Two platforms where all you can do is like.

Also after months and months of almost radio silence thank God that the YouTube views are actually high don't you think? Especially since we're on lockdown on top of that.

You can have a better and more nuanced view on what people thought about the event on platforms where you can discuss such as forums and it's not a coincidence that the general consensus seems to be that Sony had a okay-ish showing. Not bad or anything, just nothing special at all considering it was the PS5 reveal. Hell it wasn't even one of Sony's own best showings in the last 10 years or so.
How do you explain the insanely high like/dislike ratio on youtube then ?

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why so many people jump on OP.
It was pretty clear in the wording when they talked about "monthly moments" that they were not referring to random articles here and there. While it may not be digital events like inside Xbox (they clearly stated that), when they say they have so much to show that it doesn't fit in one show (hence the monthly moments under the 20/20 branding) it implies that they were not hinting at a "summary of what we know so far" article.
But perhaps it's just me.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

On streams (which is the number we are talking about here and we are excluding twitter and IG)u can easily dislike if u don't like it so like is not the only option.
In my opinon always forums are more louder minority that they wanna make their voice heard(we have seen this many time over and over from sales of titles to their popularity of titles etc... forums are not representative of the whole picture at all) and as for numbers many other products are also having their events streams during lockdown now and none came close . Fact is that it was the highest viewed gaming event ever with highest number of likes (even higher than iPhones reveals) and 98% like to disklike ratio.this to me means public reception was rather positive .

Anyways this is off topic.lets move on .cheers

Last edited:

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
Sony's conference was not "amazing". It had a couple of good games that were exclusive and a shot load of bullshit paid for timed exclusive titles. Most of the games I actually felt hype for are coming to Xbox. Ratchet was the best looking game there, not that that's an issue, Ratchet is awesome.

Was it better than the Xbox one? Yes. But the Xbox one was an inside Xbox event and was hyped up wrong, it wasn't supposed to be their equivalent.

If you take out all the fancy and totally pointless cgi playstation symbols, the PlayStation event lasts about half as long. Add disclaimers that90% of the games were multiplatform, and it looks even worse.

The PlayStation event was all slick, for sure, but it wasn't amazing.
Bad take

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I don't know why so many people jump on OP.
It was pretty clear in the wording when they talked about "monthly moments" that they were not referring to random articles here and there. While it may not be digital events like inside Xbox (they clearly stated that), when they say they have so much to show that it doesn't fit in one show (hence the monthly moments under the 20/20 branding) it implies that they were not hinting at a "summary of what we know so far" article.
But perhaps it's just me.

That's how I understood it too. I was pretty disappointed with the first event, but was looking forward to more (MSFS, 1st party games, etc).

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
What's the good take?
Almost everything in their presentation was an exclusive, or timed platform exclusive. You can say that the games weren't interesting, but to just straight up lie doesn't make any sense.

Exlcusive:
Sackboy
Astrobot
Demon's Souls
GT 7
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon 2
Returnal (Housemarque game)

Timed exclusive:
Godfall
Bugsnax
Little devil inside
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
Keena
And a couple more I can't remember the names kf off hand

The only at launch multiplatform game revealed was Pragmata lol

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost everything in their presentation was an exclusive, or timed platform exclusive. You can say that the games weren't interesting, but to just straight up lie doesn't make any sense.

Exlcusive:
Sackboy
Astrobot
Demon's Souls
GT 7
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon 2

Timed exclusive:
Godfall
Bugsnax
Little devil inside
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
Keena

Resident evil?

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of criticism of Sony up until the start of their PR campaign for their silence and a lot of praise for MS for their transparency and now it just feels to me that there is a little bit of a flip of that perception.
... so it's console war BS? Like come off it, MS shared news this month and we have known for two months now that their big event is in July. That is transparency

Jan 20, 2019

Ok, this is the worst take i ever see in this forum.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Exlcusive:
Sackboy
Astrobot
Demon's Souls
GT 7
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon 2

Timed exclusive:
Godfall
Bugsnax
Little devil inside
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
Keena

Re8 and nba as well for multiplatform but yea your point stands

dancmc

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
... so it's console war BS? Like come off it, MS shared news this month and we have known for two months now that their big event is in July. That is transparency
Not the impression I was trying to make. I am a fan of all the consoles, so certainly not console warring. Just giving my opinion as to my impression as to MS messaging and communication. It seemed very smooth, well crafted, and cohesive up until the backlash against their Inside Xbox next gen gameplay reveal, and now it seems like there is second guessing and a little bit of a stumble in my opinion. Again, the sky is not falling and yes there is still a July event which by all accounts is aiming to be great. I am also a little surprised that we don't have a date for that yet (and a little annoyed as well since I am looking forward to seeing it).

ViviFF9

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
How do you explain the insanely high like/dislike ratio on youtube then ?

If you look at the like/dislike ratio and compare it with the Switch reveal or the Series X reveal or any other major game trailer etc it´s actually more or less on par with that.

I liked the PS5 hardware reveal video but think it´s one of the ugliest consoles of these last few gens. Why did I like the video? Just like everybody else I have been waiting since forever to see the box.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stop looking for console war, start reading what is actually being said ;)
What's being said is that most posters here have pointed out that MS has had plenty of articles about the XSX this month. It just isn't what some wanted but I can't see this "lack of transparency" because we know and have known about their next event for a while now.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a little disingenuous to say that the minor dripfed news that we already uh... knew about was honestly what MS had planned this month.

If MS delayed or cancelled, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - Months been pretty crazy and anyone would. Also the feedback on the last event was pretty underwhelming.

Its just a little strange they haven't really said much about it.

no "For this month's moment, [thing]" or "change of plans! Stay tuned"

my guess is if Series S is alive, it woulda been that.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire

Exlcusive:
Sackboy
Astrobot
Demon's Souls
GT 7
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon 2

Timed exclusive:
Godfall
Bugsnax
Little devil inside
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
Keena

So I had bad take, but you post an incomplete list which would show there were a lot more multiplatform games, but hey whose counting.

Also, it doesn't matter if a game is timed, or not. First of all, fuck timed exclusives, let's put that out there. But more importantly, nobody buys a console for a timed exclusive.

The actual event was all flair and no real substance. It wasn't a very good show of what next gen can do. Was it better than the Xbox one? Yes, easily, but the Xbox one wasn't supposed to be an E3 size event. The Sony one was.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I think it's a little disingenuous to say that the minor dripfed news that we already uh... knew about was honestly what MS had planned this month.

If MS delayed or cancelled, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - Months been pretty crazy and anyone would. Also the feedback on the last event was pretty underwhelming.

Its just a little strange they haven't really said much about it.

no "For this month's moment, [thing]" or "change of plans! Stay tuned"

my guess is if Series S is alive, it woulda been that.
That's I'm trying to say yeah. Nothing wrong with changing your schedule at all. But I can't honestly think the series of small interview/news was part of Xbox 20/20.