• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
46caf1d65d4ae1160e5b1e7b3bd39b5b.gif

The first Metroid scared the crap out of me as a kid. The haunting atmosphere along with the creepy music made it an unforgetable experience. But it was positive scary and it fascinated me. Taking the elevator down to kraids lair for the first time and hearing the iconic melody is something you will never forget. It always plays in my head.

When I played this as a kid, I had no guides, it was played totally blind. So I had no idea what waited around the corner. I tried to draw handmade maps, but I thought the level design was so complex at the time that I always lost track.

Most other Metroid games has great atmosphere as well, but first one has special place in my heart since it played like no other game at the time.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Not at all. I loved it, and I think it has a "Creepy" atmosphere, but It never really got to me. None of the Metroid games really have ever freaked me out, even though I love them and their horror-adjacent aesthetic.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
No (I was already in junior high), but the dragon appearing in Venture (Coleco-Vision) or the werewolf showing up in Transylvania (Apple) were things I did not enjoy LOL... I think I was only 7 or 8 at the time in both cases.

Yes. But then again, I was also scared of Big Bird as a kid.
That reminds me that I had a nightmare one time when I was 4 or 5 that Guy Smiley was chasing me... I've hated him ever since!

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play Metroid 1 as a kid, but this did remind me that when I played Metroid: Prime as a kid (I'm in the age-range where that released when I was 11 and I played it when I was 12), the Chozo Ghosts scared me:

maxresdefault.jpg

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It kinda did, it felt properly alien. I felt truly lost in its mazes and the dense atmosphere of the game and especially item-rooms really got to me. Still an amazing game to this day, if only it didn't treat death so harshly and had less slow-down.

Oct 25, 2017
I never played that one. What made it scary?

Enemies ambush you on the overworld map suddenly and randomly. the background starts moving (like wind swaying the trees and bushes) and the music also changes from a calm tune to a dramatic one.

Also the caves are dark, shaped like a maze, full of enemies and have very creepy music.

Play it someday. It's a great game!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Nope. Metroid 2 on the other hand was scary. Tiny ass field of view preventing you from seeing anything too far ahead and much more ominous and atmospheric music helped to do that.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Not the original game, but Super Metroid and to an extent Prime sure did. Super Metroid has an amazing atmosphere for a SNES game, that only a few games have captured even with far more powerful hardware.

OP
OP
SantaC

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enemies ambush you on the overworld map suddenly and randomly. the background starts moving (like wind swaying the trees and bushes) and the music also changes from a calm tune to a dramatic one.

Also the caves are dark, shaped like a maze, full of enemies and have very creepy music.

Play it someday. It's a great game!
I checked some youtube footage and it looked intresting. I never saw the movie either.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
When i was a kid, metroid was already 20+ years old so i didn't really got scared because i had played other things in more modern technology that could induce fear better than the pixels who form the enemies in that game. It does passes a lonely athmosphere tho.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
No, but Super did. Turned off the SNES immediately when the first Chozo statue came alive lol. I only played Metroid II up to that point and never expected that to happen. Maridia also scared the shit out of me back then too.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Space jelly fish that latch to your head and suck the life outta you... ya. Scary as hell

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Metroid 2 still stands as the scariest Metroid game by far. Loved (read: shat myself) whenever a new evolved metroid popped up.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
The original Metroid is why I play videogames to this day. I used to sneak up at night an play until morning then go to school.
LOVED the Sci-Fi atmosphere that came from the music and isolation. Great game!

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Only when you're near the end and the metroids start swarming you and you frantically try to get them off while they suck all of your life energy away.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, but Friday the 13th did.

EDIT: I partially take that back. I was scared of the Metroids themselves, the rest of the game was fine.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Nah I was really into sci-fi and it was just awesome space adventure to me, never associated fear with it at all. Loved every second of that game. Good times.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
No but MP1 did.

11 year old me, playing Metroid Prime, alone. Good stuff.

Came here to say this. I always got the sense that I wasn't supposed to be there when I was playing and it always creeped me out.

Of course when I was 11 I could never get past Flaahgra, which was probably for the best. I didn't make it further than that until I picked it back up at 26, and thank god for that because the blackout in the labs with the Metroids gave me a panic attack. I think I spared my 11 year old self by being bad at the game.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
I had the same experience as you OP. The original Metroid scared the crap out of me as a kid. Kraid's lair. Ridley. Most of all, it was when I finally made it to the last part with Metroids. That part gave me anxiety every time I played it. Freeze them, 5 missles before they unfreeze. Whatever happens, don't let them latch on! It was intense!

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
The Chozo Ghost fights in Metroid Prime were super creepy. Especially the use of the x-ray visor.

Oct 25, 2017
The one time I played when I was a young kid, like 6 or so, I didn't understand the whole braking the walls and floors thing, so I got stuck super early and had no idea what to do.