• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game deserved to be 2004's Game of the Year?

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Votes: 854 56.4%
  • Halo 2

Votes: 65 4.3%
  • Half-Life 2

Votes: 330 21.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Votes: 144 9.5%
  • Ninja Gaiden

Votes: 48 3.2%
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Votes: 48 3.2%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 26 1.7%

• Total voters

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
2004 was stacked...

Other than those mentioned in the poll:

• Paper Mario TTYD
  • World of Warcraft
  • Far Cry
  • The Sims 2
  • Katamari Demacy
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Star Wars: KotOR2
  • Cave Story
  • Need for Speed: Underground 2
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Mega Man Battle Network 4
  • Astro Boy Omega Factor
  • Pokémon Fireredleafgreen
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
  • Rachet & Clack: Up Your Arsenal
  • Jak 3
  • DBZ Budokai 3
  • Viewtiful Joe 2
  • Gran Turismo 4
Cave Story is a big personal one for me -- I might have to go with that.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
MGS3 was incredible but nothing quite blew me away that year like Half-Life 2. Everything from the scope to pacing, character performances, lighting and visuals, animation, physic simulation and combat was unlike anything I'd played up to that point.

Jan 29, 2018
I think I still have that 8 minute long Snake Eater trailer memorized. The lack of the Subsistence camera gives me slight pause though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Tie between Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear Solid 3. It's impossible for me to choose, though going back to NG just this year to "prepare" for Sekiro, it holds up absurdly well. It also planted the seeds that would blossom into Souls fandom years later.

San Andreas and SMT: Nocturne are worthy choices as well.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Qgl3Q2K.gif

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hell fucking yeah!

Best MGS game overall and one of the best games of all time.

AleeN634

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This one is tricky, it's a toss up between Snake Eater and GTA: San Andreas for me. Snake Eater probably has a more lasting impact on me, but San Andreas was the game I played much much longer.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It was a disappointment to me and it floundered the rich storyline with strong themes that the series had for a cheap James Bond knock-off feel.

It has a very strong presentation, but that's really all it has. In any other area, the previous MGS games have it beat

SMT Nocturne on the other hand is one of the most ambitious game and the best depiction of a post-apoc world in a video game. It's bold and thematically strong, everything MGS3 wasn't. That's my GOTY

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
where is Vampire The Masquerade – Bloodlines? It's the reason Half-Life 2 wasn't even game of the day.....

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's my very strong third after the combo of Ninja Gaiden and Prime 2, that poll alone is an every vote is a win option (and I don't even really enjoy HL2, still can't deny its quality though)
Though I suppose NG and MGS3 both wouldn't become definitive until updated releases.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source is tough to top. MGS3 was amazing but the Subsistance release is where its at

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of heavy hitters that year.

Picked Half-Life 2, but San Andreas and Snake Eater were close.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
HL 2 and its not even close , for me HL 2 is one of the greatest shooters of all time . City 17 is its own character, Ravenholm is still fuckin scary and the pacing is near perfect .

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming Gods forgive me and the OP for forgetting about Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

Final rankings:

1.MGS3
1a. Ninja Gaiden
2.San Andreas
3.SMT3: Nocturne
4.Escape from Butcher Bay

KOTOR II was a good game but a bit of a letdown after KOTOR.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, good year for games.

I'm voting for Half Life 2, Ninja Gaiden, or Metroid Prime 2 over MGS3 even though I've only played one of those three games.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
That list is fucking stacked. What a year. And a hard decision...

MGS3, Halo 2, San Andreas, and Half Life 2 are all GOTY caliber games, make no mistake. It's hard to choose which one I'd say is the best. But yeah, I think I enjoyed MGS3 the most. Great gameplay, and an incredible narrative I still often claim is my favourite ever story in a videogame. And that's what pips it to the post. The others may do other things better and are some of the best in their genres, but that ending to MGS3 will stay with me.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, if I'm going to be objective of the best game and the one that still holds up the best it's Ninja Gaiden, followed up by MGS3(if it's including subsistence).

If I'm going to talk about the one that had the biggest impact in it's launch year or even just for the future of the gaming it's Halo 2 or Half Life 2. I would also vote those 2 as the GotY for the year they released. I can't decide on which one to pick between them.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Even with the original camera, I'd still say MGS3 was GoTY that year. Had some ridiculous competition to be sure, but it still wins out, IMO.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
My hype list for the 2004 holiday season was Halo 2, Half Life 2, Metroid Prime 2, and MGS3. I was still several years away from finally getting past my aversion to GTA and the openworld/sandbox concept in general.

That's basically in descending order of hype. My hype for the first three was about the same, my hype for MGS3 was lagging way behind them. I wasn't pleased with the whole prequel thing, because I wanted to know what happened after MGS2. And then going so far back in time, 50 years into the past, that just felt like adding insult to injury. A big part of the appeal of MGS for me was that it was high tech and mildly futuristic.

Anyway, blah blah blah. Point is, after the holiday season dust settled, MGS3 ended up being the one game out of all of them that really grabbed me and just wouldn't let go, became a bit of an obsession for a while, god only knows how many times I replayed it, not to mention MGOnline. Eventually I did get into GTA and I played all of them including San Andreas. I liked it, but it didn't strike me as anything special. No doubt it was bigger, but some times it felt too big. It had a ton of different shit to do, but IMO a lot of it was a stupid waste of time. I liked it but thought it was severely overrated by rabid fanboys.

So, yes, I'd still give it to MGS3.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
It's though, MGS3 is the best game in one of the best series in gaming and San Andreas is, arguably, the best game in, arguably, the best series in gaming.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I would put several games ahead of it, but outside of Ground Zeroes I can't say I've ever been impressed with Kojima.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, KOTOR 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Halo 2, Chronicles of Riddick, and Ninja Gaiden are all well above it for me (in no order).