• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game deserved to be 2012's Game of the Year?

• Journey

Votes: 134 38.4%
  • The Walking Dead Season 1

Votes: 35 10.0%
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Votes: 31 8.9%
  • Sleeping Dogs

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • Dishonored

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Mass Effect 3

Votes: 29 8.3%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 56 16.0%

• Total voters

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I only just recently bought it for PC, so can't really say for sure. But I think XCOM, TWD and Dishonored are among some of the greatest games of all time. So I'd pick one of those, Sleeping Dogs is also excellent.
boy, 2012 seems like it was a terrible year for games.
giphy.gif

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Journey thoroughly deserved the GOTY. Can't think of single thing that it did wrong. Amazing game.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I dreamt this but didn't we already have the 2012 thread?

I don't get the love for Journey at all - I thought it was just boring.

My vote would go to Virtue's Last Reward - would have been Persona 4 Golden but that didn't launch here until 2013.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. It was a relatively quiet year when it came to releases shoehorned between the banner year of 2011 and the gen 7 send-off that was 2013. My personal choice was Dishonored.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Played three of the Choices in the Poll. Dishonored was the best of those. Sleeping Dogs and ME3 where good though.

Still Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Black Ops II would all be games I really loved from that year.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played it for the first time maybe 6 months ago and found it incredibly boring and didn't bother finishing it. So no.

I dont see the appeal, maybe it's YMMV depending on what sort of experience you have with other players.

My pick that year was TWD which in hindsight is kind of funny because I got real sick of telltale games really quickly

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ive not played any game in that list.
Gonna give it to Halo 4 or something, I didnt play a lot that year.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It was great, but I'd put XCOM ahead of it. Though they are so fundamentally different games that it feels a bit weird to compare them to each other.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nope, I think the walking dead elevated its genre and made point and click style games popular again

Journey is a close second, Mass Effect 3 before its shitty ending was a close 3rd

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Not when you had Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, Binary Domain, Max Payne 3 and Dragon's Dogma, no.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I think you could make an (hypothetical) argument for Journey to be GOTY in any year of release. I'm not implying it would win any/every year, but It's a pretty special experience as far as video games go.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck no. XCOM and Crusader Kings 2 are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
my problem with Journey was how pointless the multiplayer was.

there wasn't a single thing that required more than one person to accomplish, and the game didn't make solo puzzles suddenly require 2 people if someone else joined. that and you couldn't disable it without turning off your internet connection, so i was constantly annoyed with randos joining and dropping while i was trying to play a beautiful game by myself like i wanted. then to see all of this praise in reviews and articles about how amazing the multiplayer experience was just blew my mind.
I agree with this. Seeing someone else enter your game and using a series of chirps to communicate elicited a "heh, neat" from me, but thats about it. I didn't think it was that great.
Same for me. I enjoyed it overall, but the randoms I encountered actively worsened the experience. Every one of them wanted to show me where to go as quickly as possible, chirping constantly whenever I was trying to explore and take my time.

The aspect of the game that made it so special for many was a grating annoyance for me.

I vote for Max Payne 3 or Dishonored.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I love slower, contemplative games, but Journey was a let down cause I kept getting paired up with people who would rush ahead without me like it was a damn speedrun or flounce when I didn't do some stupid sit down for x amount of time achievement.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Journey doesn't even make my short list.. I like it a lot, but Super Hexagon was a tiny bit of transformative gaming, Sleeping Dogs made me fall in love with an open world in a way GTA could never accomplish (RIP Sharon Jones and Charles Bradley), and Dishonored was really the TOTAL package. It's Dishonored, easily.

Also, I can't, in good conscience, call Xenoblade the best game of 2012 because NA sat on its hands and fucked around for two more years than they should have. That's GOTY 2010 right there.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The Walking Dead Season 1, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Dishonored are all better games, maybe Sleeping Dogs too.

I was tempted to go with Dishonored, but Journey is pretty much flawless.

While I agree it's basically flawless in execution I feel it's not as ambitious. Basically like how it's easier to pick holes in a long novel than in a short story.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
At the time sure!

And looking at that list.... uhhh i suppose it didnt take much

Wow what a shit year for games if that was the list

I feel like ive been spoiled beyond belief this fast few years now and 2020 is looking sick as well

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I didn't play the game until it hit PS4. It was a nice little romp, but nothing stuck out to me as GOTY or an unmissable experience. Might've been because I played it late, but it seemed pretty comparable to other indie titles I've played which are about discovery/life.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the time sure!

And looking at that list.... uhhh i suppose it didnt take much

Wow what a shit year for games if that was the list

I feel like ive been spoiled beyond belief this fast few years now and 2020 is looking sick as well
2012 was INCREDIBLE, TW1, DIshonored, Hotline Miami and Little Inferno are four of the best games ever.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
2012 is the year FEZ, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Hotline Miami, Chivalry, and Binding of Issac: Wrath of the Lamb came out, fyi. FTL would probably be my pick if I had to choose one, maybe.

Out of the choices in the poll I'd probably say XCOM EU though. Looking back that game ended up being so influential to the point where it feels like any turn-based strategy game released since gets called "XCOM with __" or something similar. It's an excellent game.

Admittely Journey didn't do much for me and I actually found ABZU a more interesting and fulfilling experience. I do like the seamless multiplayer in Journey though.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Journey is a running through beautiful environment showcase. There's nothing really engaging about it. Gonna have to go with ME3

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played. I guess someday I could try it on PC.

But I've heard some interesting things about Journey, it seems to be a special experience.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yes for me. Journey is one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Journey absolutely deserves GOTY. I loved the XCOM revival as well, since the OG XCOM games were dear to my heart, but Journey evokes things in me that very few games have come even near.