• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Were you afraid to go back in the water?

• Yes

Votes: 133 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 152 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 17, 2019
Honestly it scares me more that people hate sharks because of the movie. Poor things got a bad rap after that movie.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Nope.

But Ghoulies made me afraid to use a toilet.

Ghoulies_Poster.jpg

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite movies growing up. The ocean was my backyard. I went snorkeling every day.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
A little bit, but for some reason Orca fucked me up much more

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
The ocean is just inherently terrifying. Doesn't need help from Bruce the shark. Sharks are cool.

Having said that, I'll always swim at the beach of course, but the deeper part is just unnerving as hell. I remember feeling very uneasy just playing that opening section of Bioshock as you crash into pitch-black water then descend down. I've always loved Call of Cthulhu not just for the titular octopus dragon, but he and his city's particular location in the depths of the ocean. Goddamn nightmarish. I almost feel like he's actually there.

I think if I ever tried something like James Cameron's submersible going down to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, I'd have a heart attack mid-way down.

The deep ocean rules. Needs to be featured in more media.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Makes no sense now that I'm older, but as a kid Jaws freaked me out about going in the pool. My brain of course knew there was no way a shark could be in the pool in our backyard, but I guess the reptilian side kept thinking "but what if there WAS!"

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
No, but I grew up next to a lake and live in the Great Lakes region so it's not like sharks were something we ever had to worry about.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the OG when I was 3 years old and my family used to sail Hobbie Cats on the ocean (what Jaws bust through on the 2nd one.) That movie has stuck with me my whole life lol. Lakes are fine for the most part but no thank you to further than knee deep in the ocean. Thank you Jaws for the irrational fear lol.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Jaws when I was around 5, got super fascinated with sharks and watched all sorts of documentaries, but learning about stuff like they can attack in less than three feet of water made it so I never went into the ocean. I was fine with swimming in a pool, but I wouldn't even let my feet touch the ocean. It wasn't until I was 30 when I went into the ocean the first time and guess what, I saw a shark swimming in the ocean when I did. So yep, I don't go into the ocean because of Jaws.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Saw Jaws when I was around 5, got super fascinated with sharks and watched all sorts of documentaries, but learning about stuff like they can attack in less than three feet of water made it so I never went into the ocean. I was fine with swimming in a pool, but I wouldn't even let my feet touch the ocean. It wasn't until I was 30 when I went into the ocean the first time and guess what, I saw a shark swimming in the ocean when I did. So yep, I don't go into the ocean because of Jaws.

I'm sorry but that's funny. Rough coincidence. You sure it wasn't a dolphin though?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The chances of me finding any sharks in the water around here, let alone killer sharks, are astronomical, so no.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
No. Sharks are my favorite animal. If anything, it made me want to go in the water. Unfortunately I live in Arizona, so no ocean for me. I also can't swim very well. I sink like a rock. Can't seem to stay above water.

Oct 29, 2017
No.
I was very young when it came out. I also was an black kid who lived in metro Detroit. If Jaws was a Bass maybe I would have been afraid

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
When I was a kid it ruined the deep end of the pool for awhile.
Over it now and love the movie.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
For people afraid of encountering a shark at sea. They are there. Just not that interested in eating humans though.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
No and I grew up surfing in great white infested waters. Still do and not scared

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope I always liked sharks. They're kinda cute

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up close to the ocean, and watching all four movies in as many nights when I was nine, it sure had an effect.

Jaws 3D probably scared me the most because the place we used to go swimming looked a lot like SeaWorld lagoon (minus the park, but still).

It didn't last long though because I started reading books about sharks when I was ten or so, and yeah ok, they're actually great and won't try to eat me, we're good.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
As far as animals, what always freaked me out weren't sharks, but piranhas. Sharks are misunderstood but I do think piranhas are genuinely satanic little monsters even if their depiction in movies is overblown.

Just look at them.

piranha-1.jpg

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
NOPE, watched it Friday, Saturday went to the beach with my uncle and we went out on a boat, was swimming in the open waters, wasn't allowed to see the movie until I was 12 years, 1989..

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Not me, Jaws was 40 years old by the time I saw it. But my mom, when it first came out? Absolutely. She was in her late teens and was even scared of getting into swimming pools.

Oct 27, 2017
I live about an hour drive from the beach. I remember one summer we went swimming and afterwards went to my friends house and watched Jaws on cable TV. Good times. I probably saw it a few times growing up, never thought it was that scary, but I've had many shark related nightmares due to watching so many shark movies like Deep Blue Sea.

I wouldn't say Jaws made me scared of swimming and surfing and boogie boarding and whatever a few meters from the coast. But I don't think I'd jump out of a boat in the middle of the ocean just for fun unless I was wearing scuba gear and was with a trained professional and could see all around me. The idea of being naked and afraid and struggling to float in the middle of the ocean with sharks and other creatures 50 feet below me is absolutely terrifying. Deep water is definitely a general human fear.