• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I bought a brand-new (full price) DualShock 3 about 8 years ago directly from Amazon and was unable to get it to connect to my PS3 at all. Annoyed, I opened it up only to find a generic lithium battery covered in green plastic and various parts that I've never seen in any of my other controllers. Luckily Amazon accepted my return and sent me a replacement.

Amazon has been full of third party junk since at least 2011. It sucks if you need something quick like a controller.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Even if the batteries aren't charging, worst case, couldn't you still use a long mini USB cable and plug it in to use, like back in the day?

(also, this is why I prefer swapping AAs instead of internal batteries)

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it dawned on my just how old I'm getting once I saw the packaging in person and put 2 and 2 together.

It wasn't until today that it hit me just how old PS3 is now. Seems like a lot of people are going through the same revelations in the thermal paste modding scene for launch BC PS3 models.

Yeah, I'm guessing a brand new official PS3 controller would sell for above the original $50 or so MSRP and at this point it would be from someone's drawer or something.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I would just buy a good 3rd party controller if most controllers around are fakes. Heck I used a Hori controller 90% of the time with my PS3 because the DS3 d-pad is terrible.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i'd just give up on getting a new DS3 and instead invest in an adapter to plug a modern controller to the PS3.
that way you never need to have a working DS3 around and you can use current controllers which are much easier to replace.
i got the mayflash adapter MAGIC-S PRO and can syinc up a DS4 or Switch Pro controller and play while retaining all functionality the DS3 had (the PS button works this way)

i've been using this method for years now and i don't remember the last time i used my DS3 (it worked fine but i don't want to use it anymore to avoid more wear)

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, that's a bootleg. The fakes are so close in appearance to the authentic ones, it's really hard to tell. The sticker is your best bet from just looking at it. The quality of the analog stick and buttons is significantly different though. What I did to test my controllers (in addition to the AC power and reset button tests) was to load up Metal Gear Solid 2 HD, draw my gun using the square button, and then try to lower the gun without firing by slowly releasing the button (a quick release will fire). From my understanding, bootleg controllers lack the pressure-sensitivity in the genuine ones and will always fire.

It's funny; I've spent the last week or so working on my PS3, which has been in my garage for the last two years or so. The HDD failed, so I threw an old SSD into it. I've been downloading all of my games off of PSN and I'm gonna install a homebrew to rip my discs directly to storage, as my disc-reader is starting to give out too. There's only a couple handfuls of games that I think are still best-played on the PS3, but I don't want to lose access to those.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
OP, I did the exact same thing and ended up with exactly the same controller. Something felt off about it when I was using it, but I just brushed it off as a later manufacture date than my original and whatever. Looking at it now, should have definitely realized it wasn't an official Dualshock 3. It's worked okay for me and it's way past being able to return it now. Makes me wish I could get my official DS3 working again, though. Mine no longer charged and even plugged in, the console wouldn't recognize it, so I assumed something was wrong with the USB port on it.

It's really a bummer these controllers are so hard to get replacements for.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah, that's a bootleg. The fakes are so close in appearance to the authentic ones, it's really hard to tell. The sticker is your best bet from just looking at it. The quality of the analog stick and buttons is significantly different though. What I did to test my controllers (in addition to the AC power and reset button tests) was to load up Metal Gear Solid 2 HD, draw my gun using the square button, and then try to lower the gun without firing by slowly releasing the button (a quick release will fire). From my understanding, bootleg controllers lack the pressure-sensitivity in the genuine ones and will always fire.

It's funny; I've spent the last week or so working on my PS3, which has been in my garage for the last two years or so. The HDD failed, so I threw an old SSD into it. I've been downloading all of my games off of PSN and I'm gonna install a homebrew to rip my discs directly to storage, as my disc-reader is starting to give out too. There's only a couple handfuls of games that I think are still best-played on the PS3, but I don't want to lose access to those.

There's got to be something in the air. Giant Bomb recently took 10 minutes to talk about all the efforts suddenly being made to maintain launch PS3s.

It's a funny era to see sunset/become scarce. It just doesn't seem that long ago.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
i'd just give up on getting a new DS3 and instead invest in an adapter to plug a modern controller to the PS3.
that way you never need to have a working DS3 around and you can use current controllers which are much easier to replace.
i got the mayflash adapter MAGIC-S PRO and can syinc up a DS4 or Switch Pro controller and play while retaining all functionality the DS3 had (the PS button works this way)

i've been using this method for years now and i don't remember the last time i used my DS3 (it worked fine but i don't want to use it anymore to avoid more wear)

This is actually extremely helpful, thank you. Dualshock 4/DualSense are so much comfier to hold than a DS3.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
There's got to be something in the air. Giant Bomb recently took 10 minutes to talk about all the efforts suddenly being made to maintain launch PS3s.

It's a funny era to see sunset/become scarce. It just doesn't seem that long ago.

It's actually a super-slim model that's falling apart for me right now. I bought it after my fat PS3 got the yellow light of death. I don't blame people for trying to keep those things going, they were dope.

Can't speak for Giant Bomb, but I know I was motivated by Sony taking PS3 games off of their online store. That was a pretty stark reminder that eventually those downloads will become completely unavailable, at least from Sony themselves. Like you said, it's weird to think about, but the PS3 came out before the Wii and Nintendo's already capped their console's store.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ebay? Yeah it's probably bootleg.
Yeah, good luck finding legit DS3s anywhere. GameStop's or other local stores around you may have some but look into what a real vs fake look like and ask to try them out before hand.

A lot of the controllers of the that gen were faked to hell and back, Wii motes and classic controllers are hard to find legit ones without issues.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
I've been having this issue where I bought two bootleg PS3 controllers which I specifically NEED to use a PS3 controller since I am trying to hook it up to my PSP Go... but every single time it turns out to be fake and won't connect at all to either the PS3 or the PSP Go... shitty times considering there are no other options for doing what I want to do x.x

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

I recently just moved mine, funny. My kids now use it as a media player.

I've been having this issue where I bought two bootleg PS3 controllers which I specifically NEED to use a PS3 controller since I am trying to hook it up to my PSP Go... but every single time it turns out to be fake and won't connect at all to either the PS3 or the PSP Go... shitty times considering there are no other options for doing what I want to do x.x
If you have any local stores or GameStop's you can call em up and ask if they have any and request to try it out first. If not it's a total crapshoot going online, I wouldn't trust gamestop online either without being able to examine the controller first hand.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my two dualshock 3 that work like champs. Use them with retropie. Along with my GC Paper Mario disc I have never felt so minted.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
yeah if that wasn't a bootleg, i'd say the build quality is poor.

looks fake. sticker off alignment, the decals look weak, and the boxes on the ebay ad say "Official Playstation Product".
I'm not convinced.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Sure looks like it. Same thing happened to me a number of years ago when ordering on Amazon from a vendor whose product was "fulfilled by Amazon". I assumed that it would be legit and was severely disappointed. Returning was a breeze though. I'm very discerning on what I purchase whenever I see "fulfilled by Amazon" now.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Automatically assume any PS3 controllers in that packaging are counterfeit, the controllers pictured on the back are a dead giveaway as Sony never released an orange one. Beyond that though they only switched to that packaging style right at the end of the PS3's life so there were few around and I certainly don't remember seeing any other than black while working at retail, they used the smaller box with the controller standing on end for most of the PS3's life.

The few actual new genuine controllers still on the market are clearly marked as such and they'll cost you extra.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 controllers work really well on PS3 if you don't mind the cable.
DS4s work as well, but don't require a cable.

Metal Gear Solid 4 won't play nice with the DS4 or DS5, though. The left analog stick inputs won't be recognized properly, so moving diagonally in some directions won't be possible. Some games may have similar issues.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
At this point the answer is yes, probably.

Well this is good to know. Unfortunately it means my genuine DS3 just feels like crap. DS4 with adapter is starting to seem like a better idea.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If you bought a new DualShock 3 and didn't pay over $65 it's fake. If you bought a used one and paid under 30 it's broken in some way or fake

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
As someone who tried to buy a legit DS3 a couple of years back when my Sixaxis' charging port started to get a bit wonky, I feel your pain OP. I had no idea they were next to impossible to find until I started looking for one and I ended up having to settle for a used one from GameStop.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can still buy brand new Dual Shock 3 in the old red and white package. They are not going to be cheap

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
This thread has me wondering about how many DS3s I have lying around. I should never toss them.
One regret I have is giving away old console hardware. I rebought some old consoles that I never had. But I'm pretty happy that I never gave away my fat ps3.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
So does anyone know where the Brook PS4 to PS3 converters are even in-stock? Been months since it's been on Amazon.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one too - in this case I was fully aware since it was 8€ from Joom, but I wanted to try. It is much better than my ps4 bootleg controller that's for sure, but the battery is not very good and I had to fix the left analog controller because it would get stuck in the plastic. Oh and there's no gyro of course

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
In my experience 90% of the DS3 listed on the market are fake. When my DS3 broke some years ago, I had to look a long time, every seller I could find had people in the comments mentioning they were actually selling (very faithful) fakes.

I eventually managed to find an original one, but I can't recall where. I think it was one obscure amazon seller?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Judging the quality of the plastic from your photos alone makes it look like a fake, without considering any of the other factors.
Something about the pigmentation/opacity just looks off.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah on Ebay you gotta be sure the description says "Original" somewhere. At least then you can do the PayPal dispute if they don't refund.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
No doubt about it. You are not going to find a new, sealed DS3 on ebay, Amazon 3rd party, etc. Even if the listing says "Original" or "OEM," you are being lied to or the seller doesn't care enough to check, whereupon they'd easily discover they are selling fake shit.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I think the easiest way to tell if it's a bootleg is by the PS button. If it's an official controller the letters, P and S, will be grey or in chrome. If it's a bootleg the letters will be white and off center.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
My dualshock 3 controllers have the problem where they auto press random buttons like crazy on their own as soon as they turn on.

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible to play Metal Gear Online 2 with anything other than a DS3/Sixaxis. You literally can't move in all 8 directions reliably or aim your weapon correctly unless you have a legit controller. The controls straight up won't work properly for that game. I suspect it's the same for any of the MGS games that utilize pressure sensitive controls like MGS3/MGS2.

I'm down to like 2 controllers and I'm scared of them breaking. I won't be able to enjoy one of my favorite games if I can't even play it properly.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I could very easily tell if I had it in my hands. But it does look like a fake in the image too, the bit around the lights at the top is a giveaway.

I looked into ebay listings for PS3 controller and this one comes up, and it's very obviously a fake because they're selling them as new for £10... I hope you didn't buy one like that and expect it to be the real deal!