• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why clap?

Never heard anyone clapping in all my decades of going to the cinema here in Scotland.

If I did hear it I would cringe.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw Infinity War twice and no one clapped. I'd seen Black Panther 3 times, and two of those it got an ovation at its end.

Never seen people clapping *during* any film though, ever.
One of the two times I went to see CA:CW, there was a loud guy who was extremely... receptive... to anything remotely comedic that occurred but that's a different behaviour entirely

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone ever clap during a movie? At the most, folks would clap at the end of the movie but even then, it's pretty rare.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Why are you clapping at a movie screen? It's not going to show any gratitude for your applause.

You're essentially clapping at a wall and ruining the experience for others whilst doing it.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I only heard people get excited during the opening night showing I went to, the other showings were all fairly quiet the whole movie. I'm from the US. That's probably why the opening night showing was my favorite, it was fun knowing other people were as hyped as I was at points in the movie.

Edit: My favorite though was the people gasping at the final few minutes and crying as they were walking out, really drove home the ending. Also loved how maybe 1 person got up and left before the credits finished, everyone else was glued to their seats hoping for a credit scene that would give some hope.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If, Hello from Scotland, I was in the Cinema watching a movie and someone clapped at the appearance of Thor I would assume they were either a child or dolly dimple. I did not see it at the Cinema though so I was spared any such assumptions. I did not clap sitting at home though. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Do you clap when he appears in a graphic novel?

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: My favorite though was the people gasping at the final few minutes and crying as they were walking out, really drove home the ending. Also loved how maybe 1 person got up and left before the credits finished, everyone else was glued to their seats hoping for a credit scene that would give some hope.

If I saw people walking out crying at the end of Avengers 3 because a couple superheroes went up in dust I'd probably weep too

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm British and have been going to the cinema a few times a month for most of my life, never seen clapping. Even during Infinity War. Have seen notable excitement, fear, sadness and obviously laughing but never clapping. Obviously when it's an event screening where somebody related to the movie is there or it's a play in a theatre people clap, it would be rude not to.

I've seen two movies in the US, Wreck it Ralph and The Raid 2 - both in New York. People clapped and WOULD NOT SHUT THE FUCK UP during both showings, eating vile stinky food and being very disrespectful. Really ruined the experience for me and my girlfriends.

Last edited:

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
From the US. This seems to be a thing here now. I've always felt that clapping at a non live performance is dumb.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
In spite of the overtly condescending tone and lack of basic reading comprehension in this thread, I have still managed to learn a bit more about folks across the pond.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You guys need to experience it before you knock it. Bucha grouches across the pound ;P

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I've never seen anybody clap in a cinema in France unless it was at a premiere with the film crew present.

Why would you otherwise ? Those who deserve the clapping aren't in your cinema to witness it. So it's useless and a bit ridiculous.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
UK here - have experienced very polite, subdued applause as the credits begin to roll. Have genuinely never experienced it in any other moment of a film in my life, with one exception - during The Force Awakens and Episode 3 release-day showings some people clapped when the Star Wars fanfare began and the opening crawl started.

Feels like in the movie you run the risk of a spare of applause drowning out some sudden dialogue... so people just don't do it.

Oct 25, 2017
If, Hello from Scotland, I was in the Cinema watching a movie and someone clapped at the appearance of Thor I would assume they were either a child or dolly dimple. I did not see it at the Cinema though so I was spared any such assumptions. I did not clap sitting at home though. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Do you clap when he appears in a graphic novel?
Why would you? There's no one to share your excitement with.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you? There's no one to share your excitement with.

Maybe this is the difference between the clappers and the no-clappers. I'm British and I don't see watching a movie in the cinema as being about sharing excitement with others. For me, it's not a social experience. I'm sat in the dark with a bunch of people I don't want to hear from. When the credits roll, I might as well be on my own. The only reason I go is to see a movie on a huge screen with the best picture and sound, and not have to wait for the home release. I don't get a sense of sharing excitement, and I don't want one either. I wouldn't clap a movie if I'm sat watching it in my front room, so I'm not going to clap when I watch in the cinema either.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Europe here. Never heard anyone clapping. Especially not during an Avengers movie. Shit is cringy as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
That is indeed the difference. In America, certain movies in and of themselves are social events.
Are the movie screenings advertised as such? There are movies here too with massive midnight launch parties but even at such events it is wildly inappropriate and incredibly rude to be audible or make noise during the actual movie. The social event is the party before and afterwards which is where excitement is shared, but if you made noise during the movie you'd be removed. There are screening where audience participation is explicitly advertised and encouraged (e.g. showings labelled as sing-alongs) but at other events that simply isn't acceptable.

If the screenings are explicitly advertised as social events and it's advertised that there will be audience participation then that's entirely different (and probably should have been mentioned in the OP) but if not it seems unwarranted to assume that just because you enjoy audience participation that it's an accepted norm and people going to the movie during the opening period are going in with that assumption.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Are the movie screenings advertised as such?
No. That's just a cultural expectation at this point.

The concept of hype pervades America's relationship with its media, which is further bolstered by the acceptance of geeky interests and a shift towards more mainstream products that tell more niche and minority stories. We're loud, boisterous, emotional folks. We exaggerate things. We can take anything excitable and anticipated and make it a communal memory with others, even if those others are complete strangers.

Trying to tell a room full of late 20-year olds to be quiet when they are watching the climax of a 10-year long narrative, or a room full of black folks not to cheer when a black horror film protagonist is spared from murder by cop, is a fool's errand. You will likely be ignored or told to shut the fuck up.

If you wish to avoid the fervor and celebratory nature that accompanies American screenings of huge blockbuster event films, you see it a week or two out. You don't go opening night and then get mad that the room doesn't care about your particular preferences.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I wanna hear the film, not the assholes around me.

People always laugh out loud at funny parts but never cheer to a bunch of actors who'll never see it. It's kinda pathetic, like clapping to your ipod. Or your games console. Or your TV.

In general, pretty much every cinema I've been in will throw people out of they make too much noise (ask them to leave anyway).

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

The concept of hype pervades America's relationship with its media, which is further bolstered by the acceptance of geeky interests and a shift towards more mainstream products that tell more niche and minority stories. We're loud, boisterous, emotional folks. We exaggerate things. We can take anything excitable and anticipated and make it a communal memory with others, even if those others are complete strangers.

Trying to tell a room full of late 20-year olds to be quiet when they are watching the climax of a 10-year long narrative, or a room full of black folks not to cheer when a black horror film protagonist is spared from murder by cop, is a fool's errand. You will likely be ignored or told to shut the fuck up.

If you wish to avoid the fervor and celebratory nature that accompanies American screenings of huge blockbuster event films, you see it a week or two out. You don't go opening night and then get mad that the room doesn't care about your particular preferences.
Seems to me that there should be two screenings at once in that case, it's incredibly shitty to ruin the experience of some people because 'it's the expectation', with the only real option provided for those who don't want that being waiting and hoping they can avoid spoilers for a fortnight - which would be a miracle as this is one of the most talked about films of the last few years.

Either that or the people who don't like the clapping should be fine to call a manager on those being loud, same as if they were on phones or talking loudly with friends. As you say, the loud people shouldn't be mad that the rest of the room doesn't care about their particular preferences either.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me that there should be two screenings at once in that case, it's incredibly shitty to ruin the experience of some people because 'it's the expectation', with the only real option provided for those who don't want that being waiting and hoping they can avoid spoilers for a fortnight - which would be a miracle as this is one of the most talked about films of the last few years.
Your experience can only be ruined if you expect pitch perfect theater decorum on opening night of an event film, which is stupid from an American point of view. You go opening night specifically to immerse yourself in crowd reactions.

Either that or the people who don't like the clapping should be fine to call a manager on those being loud
Good luck trying to get minimum wage workers to care enough to even bother formulating a plan on how you kick an entire theater full of people out because one person doesn't know the game by now. I really want to see someone try it.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
People clap because the tradition came over from the theater, where people could hear you clap. It's also an easy way to say you liked something, and hey, guess what, the rest of the audience can hear you clapping.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

Bingo.

I understand the thinking behind a quiet yet engaging theater however, I suggest if you get the chance , try it. It's something you'll remember for a long time.

I think back to when this first happened for me and it had to be The Phantom Menace almost 20 years ago. Midnight showing for the first Star Wars movie in 20 years. Now that was an event. People standing in line for days, news coverage, costumes , lightsaber battles in the parking lot. It felt like the SuperBowl of movies at the time. It changed everything for me as a moviegoer who was not born in 1977 when the first movie came out.

Tea Time

Oct 28, 2017
UK here. I don't know about clapping but one of my best cinema memories is a Rocky V full house with the entire theatre chanting "Rocky" and cheering him on like it was a real fight when they take it outside.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

Either that or the people who don't like the clapping should be fine to call a manager on those being loud, same as if they were on phones or talking loudly with friends. As you say, the loud people shouldn't be mad that the rest of the room doesn't care about their particular preferences either.

I believe most people here know when and which movies to go to for their expected experience. There of plenty of places to choose from.

You guys never seen a Nintendo Direct recaction from the Nintendo World Store? Or an E3? We get hype for shit we love, Sony had E3 screenings for press conferences and those shits sold out (Free, I know). Give us a reason to fellowship about anything and we will.

Respect what you guys do however.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
You guys never seen a Nintendo Direct recaction from the Nintendo World Store? Or an E3? We get hype for shit we love, Sony had E3 screenings for press conferences and those shits sold out (Free, I know). Give us a reason to fellowship about anything and we will.
Again nobody is following a narrative here. I'm paying to see a movie (A fair bit now too, shits expensive), not miss some of the movie due to loud assholes, it'd be the same if someone was talking on their phone or whatever, it's intrusive to the experience and disrepectful to the paying customer to assume your experience is somehow more important than theirs.

If you want audience participation showings then awesome, my fiancee dragged me to a sing along version of The Greatest Showman and it was fun and everyone got involved, but that's not how I'd of wanted to experience it originally.

Oct 25, 2017
Festivals do over here, on rolling credits. But that's really it as far as clapping is concerned. It's just a different cinema culture here in Europe.

I really don't know what the point of the discussion here is. For Europeans to say how stupid it is or Americans to say how dull and boring we all are.

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
Who tf claps during a movie? I mean, i could kinda understand at the end... I have never heard anyone clapping during a movie here in Italy.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
From the US. This seems to be a thing here now. I've always felt that clapping at a non live performance is dumb.
This has been a thing forever--people lost their shit at Darth Vader's face turn in Return of the Jedi.

A Pauline Kael review (The French Connection?) mentioned that some viewers were so pumped during the climax of The Dirty Dozen that they were kicking the seat cushions in front of them out of excitement.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
People clapped at that shit?

Yupper!

"Obi wan meet Anakin Skywalker"
Clap

R2d2 on screen for the first time?
Clap

Darth Maul from behind the Double Doors?
"OH SHIT SON!" Clap!

credits?
Clap

fanfare?
Clap

Opening Crawl with that music?
Complete eruption of joy and clapping!!

Festivals do over here, on rolling credits. But that's really it as far as clapping is concerned. It's just a different cinema culture here in Europe.

I really don't know what the point of the discussion here is. For Europeans to say how stupid it is or Americans to say how dull and boring we all are.

I originally asked about how fans reacted but that has be completely ignored so...

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was in an audience that was probably half black and they started cheering and clapping pretty heavily when Black Panther showed up. Kind of annoying, but glad they're happy, I guess.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know what the point of the discussion here is. F
The point of the discussion was to ask non-US members what their theater culture was like for event films like Infinity War.

We couldn't have a nice conversation about it.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
This is still going?

Been to midnight showings for plenty of things. Let's talk about Infinity War in particular, a packed IMAX. No one clapped during the film, at the end a row of people at the back clapped and the rest of the theater turned around and glared at them and gave them the scorn they deserved because of the rest of us aren't children who feel the need to clap at anything mildly amusing. People cheered before the film when the lights went off sure, but after that nah.

Reasons to clap:
  1. Member(s) of the cast or crew are present at this screening
  2. It's an 'event' screening, like say the 'The Room' fan screenings
  3. You're under the age of 8
Reasons not to clap:

1. You're a grown adult watching a film in the cinema
  2. You can think to yourself 'wow that was a cool moment' in your head
Even at press screenings clapping is pretty uncommon. So don't clap films, don't clap your chips at McDonalds, don't clap your bartender, don't clap yourself for having a shower, don't clap your train driver. Just stop clapping.

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The only audible reaction I've ever experienced is laughing - and I'm glad for that.

Except for Twilight 2, where dozens of girls ghasped at every romantic line of dialogue, and every male shirtless scene.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
The only time I experienced it was at the end of Shut Up and Play The Piano because Chilly Gonzales and the director were there. Other than that I feel it's super weird.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I am from America and I've never understood clapping in movies. There's no one there to recieve your praise. You're clapping at a lifeless screen.