• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My goalposts haven't moved because I've never mentioned that first point. Also you've not disproven the point I did make.
I'm not talking about your goalposts because you didn't express the originating argument the sports bar analogy was actually addressing.

Person A asked why would you clap during a film when the actors can't hear you. Person B responded that it's not meant for them, similar to how cheering on a sports bar is also meaningless since the athletes can't hear you.

This has suddenly been construed as a non-sequitar response to an "I can't hear the dialogue and will miss important bits of narrative!"

Which, let's be honest, is not something should be going to Marvel films at this point anyway. It's also not like filmmakers don't intentionally build these moments into the actual film, nor that excited audiences can't see lips moving and thus quiet down long enough to hear Thor say "I told you."

C'mon.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, those who do think it's okay, genuine question but where is the line?

Clapping? Clapping and cheering? Whooping? Yelling at the screen? Chanting ala sports match?

Are there only some parts that all of this is okay or can I just clap for the majority of the movie?

Its must be a DAMN good movie if you're clapping nonstop!

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
just seems obnoxious to start clapping in the middle of a movie.
Usually the clapping happens sparsely during a moment where the crowd is already going wild anyways.

Do you think we clap non-stop like the end of an orchestral performance?

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who clap during movies do it for attention. They want others to know they're really enjoying the movie or some shit.

Narcissism is the only way to explain it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'll ask again, when did clapping become synonymous with live appreciation? Clapping, since I played pop Warner football in the 80s has always just been expressing emotional energy, regardless of who's around.

We don't clap during sports, away from being live so the players can hear us, that's just crazy to me.

I think that's the distinction, then. In Australia, and I presume in other non-US countries, we only clap if the sound can reach the person whose performance we appreciate. Live sports or any other live performance, you clap. TV screen or film projector? That's weird.

Oct 28, 2017
It's intra-audience communication, in all honesty. The best example of this spirit is when cinemas in London or elsewhere hold a showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show or The Sound of Music. They would hand out song sheets and whatnot, and encourage audience participation. There used to be a cinema just off Leicester Square that regularly did this in the mid-nineties.

What, you mean the Prince Charles? It's still going strong.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of weird to get attention in a dark room.

Think of that guy yelling out bad jokes or lame follow-up quips to deflate serious moments.

People who clap are like that guy.

Narcissism would be you thinking you know why other people clap.

Stupidity, as well.

You're free to offer alternative explanations. It's not like sports where you can and do interact with other fans of the team at a bar. It's a dark theatre where you can't communicate or see anyone around you, so you clap to get some weird sense of validation when everyone else does too.

It's narcissism.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
in my culture it is customary to masturbate furiously during the credits, clapping's just weird

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
There is a staggering amount of Ego in this thread. (on this page I mean)

You, and more importantly the other people in the room, aren't listening to dialogue to follow along with the narrative of a sports match, so clapping won't get in the way of anything. People keep using this strawman argument over and over.

The moments that people clap and applaud in movies like this seem to have no narrative to interrupt. Take the two hypest moments from Infinity War. Cap at the train and Thor returning to Wakanda (Next to "I'm always Angry" from Avengers 1 the hypest scene I have ever seen or heard). If you take a look at exhibit b on the top of page 3 of this thread you'll see that the crowd dies down before any real dialogue is spoken.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Laughs, cheers, sobbing, and I audibly gasped when Red Skull appeared... :v

But no clapping, that kind of audience reaction is not usual as in the US.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Depends on what movie. If it is a serious movie, I do prefer a quiet theater. Action, popcorn flick- audience participation can raise a mediocre movie, to great.

We sometimes seek out what we locally call the "Southfield experience". Infinity War was great for this- listing to peoples reactions for Thor and Cap arriving and the chain of you-know-what at the end was hilarious. The second showing we did not see it at Southfield, and I felt the moving was missing its audience track.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
The moments that people clap and applaud in movies like this seem to have no narrative to interrupt. Take the two hypest moments from Infinity War. Cap at the train and Thor returning to Wakanda (Next to "I'm always Angry" from Avengers 1 the hypest scene I have ever seen or heard). If you take a look at exhibit b on the top of page 3 of this thread you'll see that the crowd dies down before any real dialogue is spoken.
So there are certain, clappible spots that are acceptable, and some that randomly aren't, and they last a predetermined amount of time, just enough to miss the quip but not too long as to miss actual dialogue. Got it. You guys must have special lessons for all of these rules, it's making my head spin.
The only time I've experienced clapping in the cinema was when I watched Man of Steel in New York.
Always thought it was weird.
That wasn't clapping, that was people trying to slap the memory of that film out of themselves.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In my thirty plus years of going to the cinema in the different countries I've lived, no one has ever clapped.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I've not seen any movie in one of those massive IMAX theaters with, like, 500 people but I've never actually seen full on clapping. There was a lot of cheering for The Force Awakens and some of the super hyped moments in Infinity War, and if I remember correctly, there was an attempt at clapping at one of those movies but only a few people followed and then it died out.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Live sports or any other live performance, you clap. TV screen or film projector? That's weird.
Okay, the people who clap during movies are pretty clearly nut-jobs and future serial killers, but the cheering during sports thing is the most normal thing out there because you are supporting a team or whatever and aren't interupting any sort of narrative for anyone..I can't stand sports but even I know that super normal pretty much anywhere.

A 'Live performance' on a screen though..hmm..I think that might well be weird, you are right there. It's a grey area.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if you get a good movie and the projectionist is going a great job, why would you not tip?

Tipping is not a thing in US theaters. Plus, unless it's the off chance there's a limited 70mm showing of something, why would one have to tip the guy when all he has to do is press play.

Otherwise, how would tipping at the theater even work? Walk up to the projection room, give the guy a dusty friday and wipe the excess skin from your brow?

Chaitanya

Dec 23, 2017
In India, for these big blockbuster movies, people cheer and make all kinds of excited sounds (whistles) but no clapping.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i've seen it. has to be at a good movie, during a climax or after a really a amazing scene is resolved. cheers and light applause.

and sometimes people will clap during the end credits. usually this is when we leave to get out of the parking garage quicker.

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clapping and tipping

lol it's so stupid

It doesn't happen here in Australia also. We like our cinema experience not ruined by obnoxious people making heaps of noise. Go clap at a live show not a fucken screen.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tipping is not a thing in US theaters. Plus, unless it's the off chance there's a limited 70mm showing of something, why would one have to tip the guy when all he has to do is press play.

Otherwise, how would tipping at the theater even work? Walk up to the projection room, give the guy a dusty friday and wipe the excess skin from your brow?
I want to say they're joking about American tipping culture.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Hm, alright so they clap when they're excited but too narcissistic to grasp that it negatively impacts the viewing experience of others? Or they realize it bothers others but don't care and do it anyhow?

Yeah, sounding a lot like that quipping movie guy I mentioned earlier.

They didn't not give a fuck. They're taking control of their move experience.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Obnoxious New Yorker here, everyone claps..
EVERYONE

No idea why. Then again this only ever happens during opening night from my experience.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, alright so they clap when they're excited but too narcissistic to grasp that it negatively impacts the viewing experience of others? Or they realize it bothers others but don't care and do it anyhow?

Yeah, sounding a lot like that quipping movie guy I mentioned earlier.
You seem to think people clap in isolation and not when there is already noise being made at appropriate moments during the opening weekend of highly-anticipated blockbuster films.

I know non-US folks are supposed to be intellectually superior but I didn't think this phenomenon of communal celebration was so primitive as to be incomprehensible. Maybe that's my fault for assuming.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Went to a midnight screening and no one clapped.

Though, I don't see why they would.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
It's a communal expression of excitement, not a gesture of approval directly to the actors.

that is so lame. it's most annoying in a cinema where most people just wanna watch the movie and not hear other people's shit

I don't get why people need to clap in groups to express their mutual enjoyment in the moment VS talking about it to each other after the movie and saying how cool part X was. That way there is mutual enjoyment and the people that want to enjoy the movie in the moment without outside influence can also enjoy it. everybody is happy. The lack of understanding for that concept that some people seem to have is frustrating, because it's always a crap shoot if your cinema is gonna be good or bad.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the US and have never once heard an audience applaud during a movie. Laugh, gasp, stuff like that, sure. But never applaud. Who are we applauding to? Clapping has always been seen to me as a gesture of goodwill to somebody. If they aren't there, there's no reason to do it.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Oh my God. Everyone here baffled by the idea of people clapping at movies makes me so happy I want to cry. I need to move and be with people with their heads on straight and their hands in their laps.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It always blows my mind when I read this. I live in the U.S. and have never heard a clapper before. I've heard a few "woos" for end credit scenes. That's about it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really experienced the phenomenon of people clapping at a movie screen but it sounds fucking insane. You realize you're watching a recording of people, right? They can't hear you