• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I get that cultures are different but I'm talking about the "fans" in the theater. How was this scene received by fans in places where audible excitement is frowned upon.

Was it quiet?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one clapped (or any form of outburst) in my theater and I live in the United States of CLAP.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
My theatre went nuts when Thor arrived in Wakanda. Same when Cap arrived to save Vision and Wanda. It was amazing

Goldfishking

Oct 27, 2017
No of course not. Why would you clap? It's not like the people who made the film are going to hear it.
You're obviously ok to make noise like laugh but to act like the audience of the big bang theory is just annoying.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're at a cinema, you don't clap to the video because that would be stupid at best and a serious disturbance to everyone else in most cases.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
What kind of asshole goes to a theatre and drowns out the movie?

There's certain atmospheres where that's fine, probably premieres and stuff, but a typical UK cinema is as far from that kind of atmosphere as you can get.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, what? Clapping in the cinema?

You know, I often hear people from US saying that cinema going experience isn't great, that some people are behaving in a weird way etc, I guess that's one of the issues - people getting too excited :P I mean, cool I guess...

Also, I'm just a "fan" not a real fan? :D

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Literally the only times I've seen people clap in a cinema were
1) At the end of a live broadcast of a RSC production.
2) At the end of F8 of The Furious because we were sat next to two absolutely insane super fans who also kept laughing absurdly loudly every time Vin Diesel said anything and were insufferable.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to watch a movie and the last thing I want is a choir of loud clapping by overexcited loons drowning out the dialogue and/or background music.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Scotland and I've only seen someone clap once in a cinema, and everyone either looked at him like he was nuts or just laughed at how weird it was. It was after the Phantom Menace, which just makes it even more hilarious with hindsight.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Who the fuck claps in a cinema during the movie. At the credits it's understandable, but during the movie?

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine clapping in a cinema πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In Avengers 1, Hulk versus Loki, and Thor punched by Hulk. Heath Ledger pencil trick as well. Return of the King Ending. None during any other movies I saw.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Clapping is fun. You stiff upper lip Brits are missing out.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
My theater was roaring in cheer during this scene it was fucking hype levels over 9000!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever clapped at anything media related, I would be so embarrassed.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
"Clap" might be the wrong word. I mean show audible excitement and cheer. Also, when did clap become exclusive to showing peromers gratitude?

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
If people laugh at a comedy or jump/gasp at a horror movie then that's obviously fine. Applauding or cheering during the middle of a movie is ridiculous. Like, why? If you go see a musical at the theatre then it's nice to clap at the end of each number because it's a live production and you're showing your appreciation to the people on stage (and silences are built into the production to accommodate clapping).

Cheering or clapping in a cinema is obnoxious. At best you're ruining the atmosphere, at worst you're drowning out dialogue. Sit your ass down and control yourself.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Dumb American here: who the fuck claps at a film? What the fuck? I mean maybe if this was some arthouse thing where the director was in the theater and maybe about to take audience questions or something
but
this is a fucking Avengers movie.

And we're talking clapping during the film? Not at the end of it? What am I even reading?