• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Or do you think we'll see it reappear on the Switch/other platforms later?
It's been little over year after Japanese release of Nexus.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
They said they're continuing the series, I just assume the team is having trouble scaling up for a Switch game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hardly a genre that absolutely needs the dual screen, it'll reappear.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The series has a strong core fanbase and a next-gen entry was teased last year already - no need to worry.
Probably gonna follow SMT V with being a UE4 game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It's not going to be what it was - you can't truly replicate that feeling of drawing your own paper map without the 3DS stylus - but it'll continue. Hopefully it's an inspired a transition as possible, and hopefully it leads to us getting a Strange Journey 2 someday. :P

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
At least the core idea died with the 3ds. That said the games can return without drawing your own map on a second screen.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It probably just needs a lot of work for HD consoles, that's all.
I'm sure we'll see something eventually, probably at the end of the Switch's life so we can complain about them supporting only the old console again.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
No reason for it to die, dungeon crawlers can be done without dual screen. Day 1 for me when the next one arrives (hopefully no later than 2020).

It probably just needs a lot of work for HD consoles, that's all.
I'm sure we'll see something eventually, probably at the end of the Switch's life so we can complain about them supporting only the old console again.
Well if the next Nintendo console is a Switch 2 that shouldn't be a problem and no one will complain.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the next game will take a little longer, since it will have to be a bigger departure than the previous games in the series. They probably are going to make some significant changes both graphically and gameplay-wise. Personally I'm excited to see what they come up with! I trust the team and I expect the gameplay mechanics to remain fun and tightly crafted, no matter what they do.

I do hope it's on Switch. The alternative, I guess, is that it could be a mobile game. I wouldn't be surprised if it was that, but I am hoping for Switch.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I'm not sure how the games would work without the dual-screen/touchscreen setup. I mean, yes, you could do another dungeon crawler set in the Etrian universe, but without the immediately-accessible mapping, Etrian Odyssey isn't really Etrian Odyssey.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe Mistover can tie you over until they release a new EO:

mistover-lenni.jpg

The battle system is very different and it's a roguelike, but it oozes EO style.

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
No way. Even without the mapping mechanics EO has more than enough unique features to set it apart from other dungeon crawlers. It isn't like there is a huge amount of competition in the genre right now anyway.

I could definitely see Atlus going mulitplatform with the series for an entry or two to see how it will sell to a wider audience.

Deleted member 51646

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Maybe Mistover can tie you over until they release a new EO:

mistover-lenni.jpg

The battle system is very different and it's a roguelike, but it oozes EO style.

I played this a bit and it really didn't scratch the same itch as EO. Gameplay-wise it is 80% Darkest Dungeon. Its artstyle takes a lot from EO and it shares the town layout but the dungeons are only one-level procedurally generated maps.

Labyrinth of Refrain is the closest game I can think of on the switch until the real thing comes out eventually.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Possibly. I think it's safe to say we'll see at least one new entry on the Switch. I think the loss of the second screen will be less of an issue compared to the increase in budget due to HD graphics and the system being hybrid handheld/console experience. The series was somewhat consistent sales wise with a fairly dedicated fanbase, but sales were still pretty low overall. It might be hard to justify continuing the series if sales don't scale with the likely substantial increase in development costs. They'll need to find a way to increase its appeal.

Gameplay wise some changes will have to occur due to the change in hardware setup and no second screen, but I think they need to change up a lot more. Namely the character designs. I pretty much dropped the series because of that despite liking the core gameplay and style of the series. It's super off putting and not something I ever want to be seen playing in public, which is kind of detrimental to a series dedicated to handhelds. Hard to say though if changing the character designs/art style would really attract new fans or just put off old fans though. But I think this is the right time to do it, it's a major transition for the series and some shakeups are warranted.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's dead at all. The combat, class system, art, music, and level design are too good for EO to just die.

We literally got that teaser as well, just wait.

Last edited:

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how the games would work without the dual-screen/touchscreen setup. I mean, yes, you could do another dungeon crawler set in the Etrian universe, but without the immediately-accessible mapping, Etrian Odyssey isn't really Etrian Odyssey.

Somebody suggested (forgot where) that they could get around the idea with drawing the map out with an app on your smartphone. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably still alive. Nexus just came out this year (in the US anyway), plus Atlus has vaguely stated that the series will continue.

Fingers crossed for EO6 on Switch.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
I hope not, the map feature is unique and brilliant but the gameplay in the battles and customisation is incredible. Currently on the 9th labyrinth in nexus and enjoying it as much as the first and fourth entries. I would really like to see more dungeon crawler games but more variety in art direction would be nice.

And I was having a random thought but what if the switch version allowed for the option to run into other players parties in the game in real time. Like you do with some story parties in the previous games except here you could exchange items, offer advice or battle if you meet another player on the same floor, think that would interesting at least to try.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it comes back, it's one of my favorite currently running series. I've been holding 3 in my pocket to play if we go on much longer without news.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
This series has the best music and skill systems of any rpg ever created in the history of the universe. Proved by scientists in a lab.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
They said the intend to continue the series at least, as others have said. It'll no doubt have a much longer development time though, not only due to developing for a new console but also they'll presumably be assessing how to take the series forward if they have to drop the map feature.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I remember some obnoxious guy here insisting Etrian Odyssey couldn't be made for the Switch because it would be unplayable without a second screen. Which is stupid as hell, it'll come eventually. I imagine the studio is focused on SMT V right now.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember some obnoxious guy here insisting Etrian Odyssey couldn't be made for the Switch because it would be unplayable without a second screen. Which is stupid as hell, it'll come eventually. I imagine the studio is focused on SMT V right now.
The games do rely heavily on FOE puzzles so having the map always present is a necessity. But screens are much bigger now so it's possible to have all the info you need on one screen

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the Switch DRPGs? Other than Idea Factory and maybe NIS, no one else is stepping up.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
love the series and cant wait to see what they do for the switch. I can think of tons of ways to make it work without dual screens especially if the gameplay, music, and feel stays intact.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The games do rely heavily on FOE puzzles so having the map always present is a necessity. But screens are much bigger now so it's possible to have all the info you need on one screen

I kinda like how Sega add a map for Phantasy Star, and I can see a similar idea for a Switch EO game. I think more than make the layout of the map, it's more important to put elements on it, but if Atlus put a solution to fans who want the traditional experience it would be nice.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think the next EO will have multiple options anyway (the option of above, or ignore the map on screen unless you press a button), but because this involve update their engine and tools that's why we are not seeing a port of a old game.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Isn't there some important feature that's locked behind doing the maps? I forget, it's been a while.
In the 3DS game they just have automapping, you turn it on in the options and it works like every other DRPG around, it just draws where you walk. You still have to explore the map but that's fairly common in the genre so I assume your issue was specifically having to draw it with the stylus and stuff.

Which, I can get, I found it kinda fun to do but at the same time it was eating a lot of time for really not that much. I know people swear by the map drawing mechanic but personally if they removed it I wouldn't mind, I'd still play the game, I like the classes, the combat mechanics, the music and the dungeon design much more than the act of drawing maps. Every other game in the genre is pretty much automapping, and I never think "damn I wish I could just draw my own map in this too", just need the ability to add notes to the map(like "this needs silver key" or "weird stuff across" or whatever).

I do hope now that they're not tied to 3DS they think about the potential of porting the future entries to PC, I think they could probably sell them decently well there too.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So weird to see this posted, I just bought Etrian Odyssey 5 for like 15 bucks on Amazon yesteryday. Looking forward to playing it tonight.