• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I was forbidden when I was super young, but I own one now. Things are super fun and still cool.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Teacher so yes. Works as a slides forward switch so I can move around the class at the same time

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back in the 90s when I was a little kid. They got so popular that you could eventually get them from toy machines. They also cane with different tips with different projections. I loved them. I used to point them at the roof as I went to sleep.

I've never used them with a cat though. I've heard it's not good for them to chase after something they'll never be able to get.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had one because I gave lots of presentations in grad school. Don't know where it is now

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Don't use laser pointers with dogs (and cats I think?) doesn't it affect them that they can never catch them in a bad way?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Don't use laser pointers with dogs (and cats I think?) doesn't it affect them that they can never catch them in a bad way?

Yeah, if they can't physically catch something it can actually stress them out over time. I use a laser pointer sparingly with my cats and mainly use physical toys they can touch and hold onto.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Got a green one and the kitty absolutely loves it. If I was a millionaire I would have the entire color spectrum.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Obligatory PSA: Don't use it to play with your cat for too long, and give your cat a physical toy or something to "catch" afterwards, to prevent frustration build up.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a green one. No cats. I bought it out of curiosity because it came with a different lens to make pretty patterns.

Oct 27, 2017
My cat LOVES the laser pointer. If I so much as go near where I keep it or jingle my keys (the pointer has a dangling key chain) he is RIGHT THERE, eyes wide and anticipating the chase. He has more fun and is more animated with it than any other cat I've had or played with in my life lol.

Obligatory PSA: Don't use it to play with your cat for too long, and give your cat a physical toy or something to "catch" afterwards, to prevent frustration build up.
I'm one to let him "catch" it. Turning it off at a well timed swat or bite lol. I'll give a bunch of "good job, you got it!"s. I'm also telling the kids "no" because they don't know how to do a proper tease and chase and catch and don't want him getting bored or to "figure it out" if that makes sense.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm one to let him "catch" it. Turning it off at a well timed swat or bite lol. I'll give a bunch of "good job, you got it!"s. I'm also telling the kids "no" because they don't know how to do a proper tease and chase and catch and don't want him getting bored or to "figure it out" if that makes sense.

It's best if you give them something physical (a treat or a toy mouse, for example). If you just turn it off they get confused and often think it just got away.

Although the best is to not use a laser pointer at all. Get a "cat fishing pole" or similar that is a lot more satisfying as they catch it from time to time, make them happy and release tension. Your little buddies deserve it. :)

Oct 27, 2017
It's best if you give them something physical (a treat or a toy mouse, for example). If you just turn it off they get confused and often think it just got away.

Although the best is to not use a laser pointer at all. Get a "cat fishing pole" or similar that is a lot more satisfying as they catch it from time to time, make them happy and release tension. Your little buddies deserve it. :)
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Does my hand count? Haha. He does have mice and donut toys he plays with.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Back in the 90s when I was a little kid. They got so popular that you could eventually get them from toy machines. They also cane with different tips with different projections. I loved them. I used to point them at the roof as I went to sleep.

I've never used them with a cat though. I've heard it's not good for them to chase after something they'll never be able to get.

That why you point it to a treat or toy. It's the only thing my Cat goes nuts over besides pony tail holders.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
yep it's shaped like a mouse for my cats :)

i used to have one of those green lasers when i was younger. unlike the red laser it wasn't just a red dot but you had the entire laser visible so it was like having a giant really thin lightsaber! it actually looked like this:

hqdefault.jpg

yeah it fucks with their head. i don't use it a lot with them but when i do i just give them a real toy to play with until they forget about the laser.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't there like a thing with laser pointers messing up pets as they don't get the feeling of actually catching anything and get frustrated or whatever?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I have a few Army Painter brand laser pointers that project a straight line. I use them for tabletop miniatures games like Star Wars Armada and the X-Wing Miniatures Game.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a tiny usb dongle wireless keyboard with a laser pointer. I assume it's for presentations.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My dog loved it for a few days and then she realized she couldn't catch it and stopped caring.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I'm a teacher and there's one on my slide clicker. I almost never use the laser pointer function though.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017

Yep!! I didn't know this and my little Bichon lost her mind - I had one from when I had a cat and thought maybe my dog will like it annnnnd she did but she literally didn't relax for days after - would just stare at the walls looking for it. It drove her mad and I only used once for 5 mins.

Don't use em with dogs!!

Edit - Maybe not all dogs but some seem to go crazy as above

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Yes. I had one in the 6th grade. My student teacher took it away from me and never gave it back.

FUCK HIM.

Oct 29, 2017
Sure did when they were one of the popular toys to have. Probably had like 4 as a kid.

Haven't had the need to use one for practical matters tho.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Terraria with my spouse and wanted to use a laser pointer to more easily show where things are in the inventory, point things out on the minimap, etc.

I tried a pretty cheap red one we had around, but it doesn't work very well on the TV screen. Does anyone have any experience using a laser pointer on a (plasma) TV?