• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
CR1qQvn.png

8,5 million views nearly 400k likes but it's not even in the top 10 most sold games in 2019:

Top 10 of the best selling games of 2019 :

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
  2. NBA 2K20
  3. Madden NFL 20
  4. Borderlands 3
  5. Mortal Kombat 11
  6. Kingdom Hearts III
  7. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order^
  10. Anthem

Sales already losing steam in week 2 and 3 after the release according to various sources.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We don't know. Sony hasn't said anything. Heck they still haven't said anything about Days Gone, which has done better seemingly.

But from what we can tell it's been far below what people were hyping it up to be. And it has struggled to sell at all beyond its initial first week too.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible to know.

The list you posted is really not the list you'd want to look at to see if it underperformed.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Hard to tell if it underperformed without knowing what Sony`s/Kojima`s expectations were. But since Sony didn`t reveal any sales numbers like they did with HZD and GOW, I guess the game wasn`t exactly a blockbuster.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it. I guess long-tail sales are in question, but from the jump, it did gangbusters

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 isn't on that list either.

7. was deemed a failure by ubisoft themselves.

Sorry but these lists aren't worth anything.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will probably sell around 5 million when everything is said and done, which is ok, nothing more. I expect tons of excuses in this thread.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible to say without knowing Sony's expectations for it but it definitely did not set the charts on fire like some people predicted.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Underperform... we dont know till sony or kojima tells us... depends on their target

also, DS is a PS4 exclusive (for now) and if you look at that top 10 list, most are cross platform (except Smash)... so not fair to compare

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Where is that list from? Is there a thread?

Yeeeah would like to see the source of that top10 list, is it global? Sounds US only. And Borderlands 3 on the fourth spot? Doubt.jpg

And is that sold units or money in the bank? Anthem surely wouldn´t qualify unless it´s including the heavy sales and just counting copies sold at 5$/piece.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the average Era prediction it definitely underperformed, as almost half of this board thought it would outsell Sword/Shield.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
We don't know. Sony hasn't said anything. Heck they still haven't said anything about Days Gone, which has done better seemingly.

But from what we can tell it's been far below what people were hyping it up to be. And it has struggled to sell at all beyond its initial first week too.

Yeah Sony have been quiet for so long lately. They used to give us sales updates for so many games and since God of War or Spiderman...nothing.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 Remake, DMC5, Control, and Sekiro aren't on that list either. Did those underperform?

Death Stranding is a new IP in a genre that isn't really like anything else, so I don't think it would take much to call that game a success sales wise.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It probably should have been Sony's biggest exclusive of the year, but if I remember correctly Sony said that was Days Gone. So I'd say it did underperform.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It probably didn't do as well as most people expected - critically nor commercially.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a failure though, before someone puts words in my mouth.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Since Sony haven't said anything it would be safe to say that it did.
I agree. Every studio and company out there (rightfully) boasts when sales are spectacular, usually in a way where they thank the people who got them to that number. Silence doesn't necessarily indicate poor sales, but rather less than projected.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have no way of knowing this unless SIE makes a statement regarding expectations.

One thing's for sure though....there is no reality where Death Stranding was going to be one of the top 10 selling games of the year.

I'm going to guess 5-6 million sales globally at this point. The game is a massive success.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Underperform... we dont know till sony or kojima tells us... depends on their target

also, DS is a PS4 exclusive (for now) and if you look at that top 10 list, most are cross platform (except Smash)... so not fair to compare
How is not fair to compare? If Smash on there, exclusive titles are obviously eligible.

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I dunno about the sales but here in France I was very surprised to see the game on sales 39€ or even 29€ in some shops like 1 or 2 weeks after the release.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It definitely wasn't a big sales surprise, that's for sure.
I'm glad the game exists but the hype around it and media attention (given: both good and bad) didn't translate to much interest in the game in terms of sales.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It's really impossible to know because we don't know their expectations, but it certainly didn't sell like a AAA exclusive on the level of Spider-Man, God of War, etc.

Granted it's a new IP, so it doesn't have quite the casual appeal.