• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
We see in the first teaser that it looks like a blend of Nier and Valkyrie Profile perhaps as far as visual themes go vaguely. This first teaser was released on August 24th, 2016. I believe that is when CyGames announced generally that they would be focusing a bit on console role playing / action games ? There were also trailers for the GranBlue Fantasy game.

This was the first trailer from 2016. The setting has a distinct look.

This is the new trailer from around September 2018. It was for the Playstation Lineup showcase a few weeks before the actual Tokyo Game Show 2018. From a glance, it looks like a cross between Monster Hunter and Dark Souls in gameplay, with an interesting medieval fantasy look. The visuals look amazing obviously.

Do you think there was a change in direction for this Project Awakening overall? Is it perhaps the same game / concept that we saw in 2016? I got a certain vibe when this was revealed last September again that folks online took it as the official first reveal of this game and disregarded or missed the 2016 trailer. Maybe both trailers will eventually be the same product and we have not seen anything much yet. Are they trying to appeal to a western audience or perhaps a more global audience when not using that anime look of the first? Granted the first trailer could just be a cinematic teaser for story purposes.

Thoughts?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely went from "RPG epic" to "Monster Hunter-like" to me. Preferred the original direction myself. Hoping they both exist in the same world somehow, but the contents of each video appear vastly different, so I don't think so.

Also for future reference, the "G" in Cygames isn't capitalized. =)

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Games change over development and the newer style is far more appealing. Also, how is that first trailer more distinct looking when you point out two other games that look similar?

OP
OP
CRIMSON-XIII

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It is okay for games to change. We have seen especially with longer developed games how much things can change from reveal to re-reveal / release

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Insert reminder when borderlands was introduced as this super normal art style with a serious tone and then went for the more cartoony meme style.

Personally I like the newest showing better. Looks like a fun game for next gen and it's not like theres no guarantee it won't have rpg elements.

OP
OP
CRIMSON-XIII

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Definitely went from "RPG epic" to "Monster Hunter-like" to me. Preferred the original direction myself. Hoping they both exist in the same world somehow, but the contents of each video appear vastly different, so I don't think so.

Also for future reference, the "G" in Cygames isn't capitalized. =)
I think with the way Gran Blue Fantasy is looking visually, the way the first trailer for Project Awakening looks would have been too similar seeing as both are being made at the same time.

and Thanks for the heads up haha!

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
I'd say we don't have enough material to detect a change of direction.

The subjects showcased are too different. The first shows a female character, the second a male character, the first shows an ultra-wide shot of the environment, the second a close view.

The change from female to male can be tricky, because it may seem that they went from a more anime-like to a rougher, more western-like visual, but that's not conclusive, because a lady can look as she does in the first trailer in the same art style as a male can in the second.

The materials showcased in the first trailer, especially in the "cocoon" like object and clothes show a realistic approach, not an anime-like one, so they're consistent in both trailers.

Also, I really don't see how people are guessing that this is a monster-hunter-esque game.

It's a dude fighting a dragon, that doesn't exactly automatically say "Monster Hunter" or "Dark Souls." All it says is "fantasy game where you fight fantasy enemies with action gameplay." It doesn't even tell us much about the mechanics, because the game is really early in development, so this could very well be a vertical slice more than an actual gameplay demo.

It's so early in development, that when I interviewed them after the reveal they weren't able to say literally anything about the game.

IMHO, people are simply being tricked by the large difference in subjects between the two trailers, but that doesn't necessarily say that the game itself will be very different.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The newer version looks far better and made me interested for the game.