• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
What are you expecting her to wear.
She was/is a normal human woman till she becomes the director.
Unless you wanted her to go home and change once she became the director.

And by the time she gets "god like" you should be wearing the mirror suit which is more sci-fi.
But otherwise the game starts with her literally walking in off the street....if she was "videogamey" she would be standing out like a sore thumb on the street.

Outside of the FBC the universe is still just our world so its not like normal people are dressing all scifi in their daily lives.
8XCYHRj.gif
I guess there are lots of those decisions I wouldn't have made. Her design would have worked better if it were a combat-lite investigation game, and then they could have gotten way more interesting with OOPs besides "gun" and "double jump." If they want to keep the metroidvania aspect, where she walks in off the street only to shoot thousands of dudes while shrugging off bullets and casually accruing magic powers without much reaction, then maybe a more fantastical design like Shanoa for Order of Ecclesia (or the obvious comparison, Samus) would have worked better along with a different back story. It's the incongruity that throws me off.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I guess there are lots of those decisions I wouldn't have made. Her design would have worked better if it were a combat-lite investigation game, and then they could have gotten way more interesting with OOPs besides "gun" and "double jump." If they want to keep the metroidvania aspect, where she walks in off the street only to shoot thousands of dudes while shrugging off bullets and casually accruing magic powers without much reaction, then maybe a more fantastical design like Shanoa for Order of Ecclesia (or the obvious comparison, Samus) would have worked better along with a different back story. It's the incongruity that throws me off.

Polaris was already in her head.
The Gun, the building the hiss and all the first hour or so fucked her up but not so much that she would lose her shit completely considering she has been hanging with Polaris since she was a kid.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Probably under-performed. Actual bombs tend to stay at full price to recoup.

Remedy likely got paid well enough by Epic for the short term. Anyway, Control is a surprise hit and worth your time.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking forward to getting this game via PS Plus soon :) Same happened to Darksiders 3. Everything that bombs this hard gets put out for free in no time.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how it would have sold on Steam.
I doubt it would've sold well enough to justify forgoing EGS's $10M deal. And regardless, it'll still have the chance to be sold there in a year for anyone who may still be interested. (they can count on getting my money down the line, assuming it doesn't show up on one of the game subscription services.)

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have to finish the game still (real life stuff got in the way) but they did drop the ball on marketing for this game which is really on 505.

jamtop

Jun 18, 2018
Yeah, that's a good point too. They said he bailed on the discussions before they even discussed money, I doubt they would've turned 10mil down :D

Jul 5, 2018
I wanted to get it but Astral Chain, Greedfall, and WoW Classic all came out around the same time and unfortunately I only had enough funds/time for 3 of them (have still barely touched Greedfall since getting it).

I am hoping to pick it up on Black Friday if it's on sale.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Taking 20% that goes to Steam + regional prices into account, around 300k copies sold on Steam would bring 505 Games the same the amount of money. I don't know if this is "a lot" for a game like that on PC.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Taking 20% that goes to Steam + regional prices into account, around 300k copies sold on Steam would bring 505 Games the same the amount of money. I don't know if this is "a lot" for a game like that on PC.

there are winners and there are losers.
Steam constantly has sleeper indie hits who sell a million out of nowhere.
Just recently, Code Vein had a CCU peak of 32k users. if the old extrapolation still holds true ( sales are approx. 10 times the launch week peak CCU) it should have sold 250k to 350k units.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, hadn't thought about it like that :(
Another gravity queen bites the dust.☹

gravity1oqkyz.gif

They will live on in our memories as amazing fucking games that only the true elite knows and has played.

D:

Hopefully Alan Wake crossover DLC and the continuous performances patches can revitalize Control, such a phenomenal game.
But I get why people aren't jumping on it, it seems so bland at first glance while it really isn't in the end.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
They will live on in our memories as amazing fucking games that only the true elite knows and has played.

D:

Hopefully Alan Wake crossover DLC and the continuous performances patches can revitalize Control, such a phenomenal game.
But I get why people aren't jumping on it, it seems so bland at first glance while it really isn't in the end.
I haven't jumped on it solely because of performance on PS4. I wanted this game day one. But now I will wait until heavily discounted/PS5.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I wanted to get it but Astral Chain, Greedfall, and WoW Classic all came out around the same time and unfortunately I only had enough funds/time for 3 of them (have still barely touched Greedfall since getting it).

I am hoping to pick it up on Black Friday if it's on sale.
Don't know if it was mentioned before but the game is actually 20% off in the PS store, I bought the season pass :)

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really hope that we get more titles like this from Remedy. Can't wait for the DLC and future titles

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Control is a real gem with some technical issues on console (I hope they are mostly fixed with the latest patches).

The game is 9/10 for me on PC and it's really fun to play.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say the game bombed. I remember thinking Metro Exodus bombed but then THQ Nordic announced sometime after launch that the game was profitable.

Running studio in Ukraine and on Malta is cheaper than running studio in Finland. On top of that Remedy got new building during Control development and they have good working conditions including generous paid vacations and things like that. So I would guess that Remedy needs more money from sales.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
I think it did bomb.

Bought it once on PC, took it to my buddy's house to show it off and he ended buying his own copy on PC.

I liked it so much I got two steelbook copies from Best Buy - one on XBONE for another friend and another on PS4 for me (need that platinum).

The copies sat in my "pick up in store" cart for pretty much a week and the store's inventory never changed in that time - the steelbooks are only sold at Best Buy for ten bucks more than retail. The game isn't moving physical copies.

The steelbook is much nicer in person, by the way, and comes with some lovely concept art.

This game fundamentally deserved a way more massive marketing push than it ended up getting.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I had absolutely never heard of the game until I saw the release thread on this very forum. It's like there was absolutely no marketing, hype, or buzz around it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
the minute they announce difficulty setting i'll play it in a blind, it look super fun but a little too on the easy side for me. I'm sad it bombed it look super good.