• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Probably. I think it could have done a lot better if the main character's design wasn't so underwhelming. People don't even know her name lol.

Control_PS4_m.png
Between this and Axiom Verge, what's the deal with these metroidvanias with bland-ass main characters. Part of the fantasy of these games is taking your character from weak and limited to overwhelmingly capable and "generic person with jacket" just doesn't fit that bill.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a shame this thread even exists. I really dont understand why Remedy struggle with mainstream appeal? Sci fi / mystery 3rd person action adventure games sound like they should be winners. I know Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break and now Control are on my favourite games list - high up there!

I hope Remedy came out financially well from the release, and publishers are still willing to work with them. It would be an absolute travesty to lose such a quality developer IMHO.

Remedy do awesome games. But sadly, they always find a way to fuck off hard after Max Payne 2.

Alan Wake was announced has a PC game. Then suddenly it was a Xbox exclusive. As a console exclusive, they didn't adjusted visuals enough so needed to reduce the resolution too much and lot of gamers were not happy. Obviously pc gamers were angry then.

After two years, finally the pc version was launched on steam. Remedy said they will embrace steam because their pc long relation. Sigh.

But then Quantum Break was announced as a Windows Store exclusive. And the launch was terrible. Hours long video scenes that you can't download in the windows version, only stream, and terrible performance. Five months later launched on steam. That version was way better but far away from a good pc port.

So after those two bad decisions you can hope they don't want to fail again. But Control is Epic Exclusive for a whole year in exchange ONLY of secure 200K game sales. It's fucking stupid because they are fucking a lot of fans.

That they don't know how to make a game without performance problems doesn't help.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. I had avoided Quantum Break for a long time because of all the issues I recall hearing about during the PC launch. It's a pretty interesting game and it just has that Remedy feel I hadn't even realized I was missing.

I feel almost tempted to pick up Control.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
More or less. Gamers have a Genuinely Good And Interesting Writing allergy. It was never going to do well with a demographic who, by and large, have never read a book in their lives.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I bought Control. Really sleek and stylish. I can totally understand it lacking in mainstream appeal. I'm a few hours in and the storytelling is interesting and unorthodox but I can totally see how people might skip it. I haven't touched it in a while cause gears grabbed me.. I want to get back to it but it's going to be difficult.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You're smoking crack division didn't run anywhere near as bad as control did.
D2 at launch had pop in issues and some bugs but nothing close to the drops after EVERY pause And EVERY fast travel and a lot of battles. I've played liked 100 hours of D2 and control is my current goty but what you're saying is fantasy.

smoking crack, huh?

Division 2 has to this day awful texture streaming, it just doesn´t run well on the Pro at all, it basically needs an SSD, otherwise you have constantly loading textures.

anyways, Control is a good game, even a surprise but it also has its problems: too much shooting sequences when the shooting
isn´t really satisfying/could be better(throwing crap around feels better than the shooting), the assets are repeated throughout the whole building, too much looks the same/boring. they could have done much more with the shifting environments. Jesse is ok but not exactly a protagonist with a personality to remember.

the missing difficulty setting hurts the game too, i would like more challenge where other people want it a little bit easier, it is not a good idea to bring such a game with no difficulty settings.
relying on 120 documents to get a grasp on the story might be cool for people who like to read but it is also not the optimal way to deliver a good story.

it could be a bit crazier imo, sometimes i was like "this is cool!" before it is back to the mundane setting, it could have been more tense and more insane imo

i am near the end and would give it a 8/10 because i really enjoyed it despite those issues

btw i am playing on the Pro installed on SSD and the game runs fine to me, there are some drops when coming from the menu but otherwise i think it is solid now

i also think that not every game has to be a megahit, who decides if something bombs or not? it is a new singleplayer IP without multiplayer, when those games aren´t platform exclusives with a high marketing budget (like Horizon for example) they tend to struggle these days. people are just like that, they would buy sequel number 4 in a heartbeat but a new unknown IP from a third party developer is almost always struggling to get the deserved sales these days.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

It's good for others tho, I found a code someone threw away so free game for me :P (well two if you count youngblood)

I believe that with a 970 you can run it with no problems at all

I found this video and it's 45-50 fps on medium.. or maybe over 60 all the time in low settings

More like 30-40 fps with ocassional drops to <30fps. (I have non-OC GTX 970)
So far from ideal. Might as well put money towards new GPU.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
smoking crack, huh?

Division 2 has to this day awful texture streaming, it just doesn´t run well on the Pro at all, it basically needs an SSD, otherwise you have constantly loading textures.

anyways, Control is a good game, even a surprise but it also has its problems: too much shooting sequences when the shooting
isn´t really satisfying/could be better(throwing crap around feels better than the shooting), the assets are repeated throughout the whole building, too much looks the same/boring. they could have done much more with the shifting environments. Jesse is ok but not exactly a protagonist with a personality to remember.

the missing difficulty setting hurts the game too, i would like more challenge where other people want it a little bit easier, it is not a good idea to bring such a game with no difficulty settings.
relying on 120 documents to get a grasp on the story might be cool for people who like to read but it is also not the optimal way to deliver a good story.

it could be a bit crazier imo, sometimes i was like "this is cool!" before it is back to the mundane setting, it could have been more tense and more insane imo

i am near the end and would give it a 8/10 because i really enjoyed it despite those issues

btw i am playing on the Pro installed on SSD and the game runs fine to me, there are some drops when coming from the menu but otherwise i think it is solid now

i also think that not every game has to be a megahit, who decides if something bombs or not? it is a new singleplayer IP without multiplayer, when those games aren´t platform exclusives with a high marketing budget (like Horizon for example) they tend to struggle these days. people are just like that, they would buy sequel number 4 in a heartbeat but a new unknown IP from a third party developer is almost always struggling to get the deserved sales these days.

You're on mega Crack. Control is one of the worst performing games I've played in my life. Frequent drops to almost single digit fps constantly on Xbox one x ssd and this is supposed to be the best console version. It was so bad I couldn't get past the chapter 6 boss, it drops so bad I can't dodge or tell what the fuck is going on anymore and die every time. I tried on two Xbox one xs on both internal and external ssd. No other game I've played has close to the same issues.

Worst performing game this Gen for me.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I like Control. It's not the best Remedy's made (Alan Wake is still my Remedy favourite due to the story, the characters and the amazing atmosphere), but it saddens me that it apparently bombed. And I wonder why many single player games ends up like this. Only Sony's seem to do well. Anyone know how A Plague Tale did...?

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a great game that deserves so much more. One of the few platinum trophies I got because it was so much fun. Looking forward to the expansions.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You're on mega Crack. Control is one of the worst performing games I've played in my life. Frequent drops to almost single digit fps constantly on Xbox one x ssd and this is supposed to be the best console version. It was so bad I couldn't get past the chapter 6 boss, it drops so bad I can't dodge or tell what the fuck is going on anymore and die every time. I tried on two Xbox one xs on both internal and external ssd. No other game I've played has close to the same issues.

Worst performing game this Gen for me.

that shows there is some kind of bug affecting it, I didn't have any ofthose issues and DF didn't comment on it being that bad either.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I was really interested in at as someone who loved Alan Wake, but it performs like shit on consoles and I'm not buying games on the EGS, so that's one sale down.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about EGS but I won't pay more than £30 for a video game anymore. I love Remedy but there are too many releases now for me to keep up.
I'm always around 3 months behind on new games unless they're cheaper on cdkeys.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Control. It's not the best Remedy's made (Alan Wake is still my Remedy favourite due to the story, the characters and the amazing atmosphere), but it saddens me that it apparently bombed. And I wonder why many single player games ends up like this. Only Sony's seem to do well. Anyone know how A Plague Tale did...?

I think A Plague Tale did pretty well, same with Greedfall

It's not just Sony and Nintendo though, Ace Combat 7, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry and Sekiro all sold well for example.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The game's done well enough to have a full year of upcoming content. And the AWE DLC is going to send sales through the damn roof.

GTA IV DLCs under performed and you expect that Control DLC that will be released like 6+ months after release will do something?

Remedy and 505 did same mistake as Bethesda for Dishonored and Prey games. They invested very little in marketing and relied on Twitch/YouTube personalities to sell the game. There tons of games released these days from Indie to AAA and you need strong marketing.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder if it would be considered a good thing if sony bought remedy at this point.

on one hand they wont have to worry about financial issues as much, but itd also mean less creative freedom.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I can't imagine being so uninformed about and passively disengaged from your own hobbies that you literally don't know anything about a video game unless you see repeated advertising for it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i wonder if it would be considered a good thing if sony bought remedy at this point.

on one hand they wont have to worry about financial issues as much, but itd also mean less creative freedom.
Remedy has nothing to offer to Sony. And I think Sony agrees.

505 is a better fit for them, while they can make creative IP with lesser budgets.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
GTA IV DLCs under performed and you expect that Control DLC that will be released like 6+ months after release will do something?

Remedy and 505 did same mistake as Bethesda for Dishonored and Prey games. They invested very little in marketing and relied on Twitch/YouTube personalities to sell the game. There tons of games released these days from Indie to AAA and you need strong marketing.

That might appear like a sensible observation, but without a context for just how much money is required for "strong marketing" the concept falls on it's face.

This is why we big AAA games from say Sony who's marketing spend is usually greater than the cost of making the game.
Those titles may have a marketing budget that is 2-3times the cost of Control's entire development and marketing budget.
But when you are promoting a platform which you need to keep people engaged with and an exclusive game which might go on to sell 10million units it is a slightly different proposition to advertising a game that is forecast to maybe sell 2million units.

this is one of the reasons that these exclusivity deals (in the case of control ) are so attractive to publishers, as just being given the opportunity to be show in Sony's E3 show or be placed in the featured section of the store is of huge value vs how much it would cost in cash to achieve a similar result.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That might appear like a sensible observation, but without a context for just how much money is required for "strong marketing" the concept falls on it's face.

This is why we big AAA games from say Sony who's marketing spend is usually greater than the cost of making the game.
Those titles may have a marketing budget that is 2-3times the cost of Control's entire development and marketing budget.
But when you are promoting a platform which you need to keep people engaged with and an exclusive game which might go on to sell 10million units it is a slightly different proposition to advertising a game that is forecast to maybe sell 2million units.

this is one of the reasons that these exclusivity deals (in the case of control ) are so attractive to publishers, as just being given the opportunity to be show in Sony's E3 show or be placed in the featured section of the store is of huge value vs how much it would cost in cash to achieve a similar result.

Marketing is expensive but it is unfortunately necessity these days because market is oversaturated. Especially for one and done games like Control. And there is no recipe for success unfortunately so they could just apply that. But casting as wide as possible net has most chances for success. Run YT ads, pick some countries and put billboards and other real world ads, release demo before launch or at launch... They don;t need to spend money on Conan show or TV ads that are way more expensive but they shouldn't just rely on word of mouth and streamers either.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS exclusive content drove me away at launch. Performance issues aren't helping. I'll buy cheap as fuck on BF probably.

Oct 25, 2017
And a glorified expansion like borderlands 3 sell 5+ milion copies.

Oh gamers...

This shit again? Why are some of you salty that a game you don't like is very successful? I doubt you even played that glorified expansion. If Borderlands 3 didn't exist Control would have still flopped so it is irrelevant for this discussion. You talk as if Control is some masterpiece while Borderlands 3 is trash. They have similar scores. And lots of people think Control looks like a Quantum Break expansion.

Underperformed, not bomb.

Matt says it bombed and this isn't the first time he has said it.

Remedy has nothing to offer to Sony. And I think Sony agrees.

505 is a better fit for them, while they can make creative IP with lesser budgets.

Why would Sony even be looking into possibly acquiring Remedy if the agree with you? Seems they don't. I think chan ces are good they work on a project together next gen.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Europe
The game saw a lot of discounts shortly after release, and you can get it now at the PS Store for $47 just a month after launch. The game didn't chart anywhere either where much smaller games did, which doesn't paint a very good picture of the performance of the game. Do you think that Control bombed? It'd be a shame if it did, considering how it was Remedy's first multiplatform game in ages but it feels like the buzz of the game died pretty much on the week of release.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4040-CUSA11461_00-CONTROLPREORDER1
I read exclusive stuff and I was out.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about EGS but I won't pay more than £30 for a video game anymore. I love Remedy but there are too many releases now for me to keep up.
I'm always around 3 months behind on new games unless they're cheaper on cdkeys.

Yeah. I find myself only paying 50+ for games I deem sustainable, with an online mode that keeps me engaged. Or games I sink 80+ hours into such as a good FF release or Witcher 3. Controls looks good, but I probably won't play it beyond a week. I'm eyeing a sale.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Didn,t buy it, but mostly because i have a potato PC and i didn't kniw this game existed until this month.

No, seriously, i genuinely tend to check game news every day but somehow i did not know about Remedy making a game, and if i heard about this game, i may have forgotten it's existence due to an amazingly generic name which is probably not good for something like a Google Search.

Though i am glad to hear the game is good, not so great to hear that there is apparently PS4 exclusive content because i hate that kind of thing, but yeah, it does seem like marketing screwed up or that they should have released the game in a better state.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Well it certainly didn't set the world on fire...
It is weird that this is the first game in over a decade I can recall being praised heavily by critics and yet regular people couldn't care less.

Go to listen to any podcast that mentions control and they will rave about it.

A frequent praise it gets is, the performance is horrible but the game is so much fun I can tolerate it. Giant bomb, gamespot, etc have said exactly that or close to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how someone could play Control and not know Jesse Faden's name.
They say it a thousand times in the first few hours.

Love the inner monologue stuff. Not quite as on point as RE2make Claire Redfield, but that's a really high bar in a much shorter game.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
except you're being wilfully obtuse because....reasons?

the art style is near identical, they reused a tonne of animations and assets (given their normal dev time for a game on ONE platform, they would have had to for 2) and the protagonist even looks nearly exactly like Beth from Quantum Break.

remedy was pretty open about control initially being a quantum break sequel before becoming a new IP. that said these games don't look similar at all (gameplay wise anyway).

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Why does this thread consider it to be a bomb exactly? The price cuts? Those seem to happen to literally every game that isn't a Rockstar or Nintendo game nowadays.

Control released in August and was never going to be some megaton hit. Positive reviews and a Dark horse candidate for GOTY make it seem like this game was a success for Remedy.
It seems that some people think of it as a bomb because it didn't chart on August top titles (US) and games like Astral Chain or Man of Medan did.

It surely didn't sell like crazy but I'll wait for actual numbers or projection to name it a bomb or not, I really hope it's not the case since Control is one of my GoTY contenders.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Shame, thought it would've sold better given the positive word of mouth surrounding the game.
Like Quantum Break, I'll buy it on sale when it comes out Steam.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Amazon was supposed to give me Control since it was supposed to come with my 2080ti purchase but they frakked it up and somehow some other guy got my code. Still ended up playing the game finally but then Gears 5 dropped...

This month was too crowded with hits.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Control is an outstanding game with incredible atmosphere. Combat is fluid and intuitive and the level design peaks at excellence.

It has some issues in places, some sections feel a little drawn out, but overall this is in the running for my GOTY.

The lore and world building is off the charts great. This is the first game in forever where i actively seem out and devour all memos and recordings etc...

Amazing game.

I will say, though, I'm on PC where the perfomance issues didn't hit me. I played at max settings with RTX on full (dialled back to 1080 to get over 60fps), and it ran and looked phenomenal.

Between this and Axiom Verge, what's the deal with these metroidvanias with bland-ass main characters. Part of the fantasy of these games is taking your character from weak and limited to overwhelmingly capable and "generic person with jacket" just doesn't fit that bill.
Jesse is a good character.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. I think it could have done a lot better if the main character's design wasn't so underwhelming. People don't even know her name lol.

Control_PS4_m.png
She's one of the better (realistic) female character designs of the whole generation.

Not to even mention she's a pretty bad ass character altogether.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting for the steam release. Wonder if they're gonna drop it at full price and not give a fuck lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
except you're being wilfully obtuse because....reasons?

the art style is near identical, they reused a tonne of animations and assets (given their normal dev time for a game on ONE platform, they would have had to for 2) and the protagonist even looks nearly exactly like Beth from Quantum Break.

That is stupidly reductive to be honest.

The lore, the level design, the atmosphere, the writing... all very different and improved upon QB.

The combat is similar, but it is different enough to stamp it's own mark and feels very different to actually play once you've unlocked all the abilities.