• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For better or for worse, you are not getting Chrono Trigger in Cross. It's a direct sequel in terms of plot but everything else is its own beast.

I don't like it in any aspect (not even the music. Ask me why sometime) but it's not hard to see why it has its own fandom.

I refuse to believe anyone can actually dislike the Cross OST.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
You said "hoo boy, what a mess that turned into." when in fact it wasn't a mess and the game is amazing.

Stop backtracking. Either go play the game or don't talk about a game you have no clue about.
hey sephiroth you whole bottle of shampoo and conditioner for every hair wash MAMA'S BOY

chrono cross SUCKS

gamespot 10 outta 10 MY ASS

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
I don't think it needed to be explained and I liked the fact that they left it to the imagination.

I also liked the fact that Chrono Cross gave us a great game and story answering it too. If you have time you should give it a shot even if you thought the synopsis sounded crazy.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The interesting thing with Chrono Cross is that it is a bigger sequel to Radical Dreamers than it is Chrono Trigger so it's not the most important aspect of the game to learn about Schala's fate. It's just that all these elements are rejoining into a climax. Of course, Kato also wanted to make a third sequel but then Square Enix new corporate overlords had something to say about it.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I keep thinking the same thing. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time. I tried to play Cross once some years back and just found the beginning so slow and boring that I dropped it pretty quick. But, some people seem to absolutely love it.

Just look at the difference in how long random encounters take:

Though to be honest, this is a broader issue with PS1 RPGs. They really wanted to show off how good their 3D graphics were...

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Just look at the difference in how long random encounters take:

Though to be honest, this is a broader issue with PS1 RPGs. They really wanted to show off how good their 3D graphics were...

There are no random encounters in Cross, which is part of why it's one of the least boring JRPGs. You can skip the bullshit and it's mostly a game of mini bosses strung together

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I always found it weird that the crux of the franchise is based around a side character to another side character. Imagine if Marlene was the entire driving factor of the FFVII universe.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The game infodumps crucial lore five minutes before the final boss in optional conversations because they ran out of budget. That's kind of a mess.

Hey at least they bothered to put the crucial lore optional infodump in the actual game, Grimoire Weiss ;)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I like Chrono Trigger a lot, I mean just look at my username... but I have never played Chrono Cross.

Maybe someday, it would be nice if SE would port their PSX games that aren't FF because I want to play so many of them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the intro theme is good though :|
I refuse to believe anyone can actually dislike the Cross OST.
Imagine not liking CC OST and think people will take you seriously.

Imagine making an OST that had Dreamwatch of Time and The Girl Who Stole The Stars and then making the player listen to that fucking common battle theme for 40 hours.

Hey at least they bothered to put the crucial lore optional infodump in the actual game, Grimoire Weiss ;)

What if I told you keeping all that extended lore outside of the game proper was to the story's benefit as it would have detracted from the character focus that made NieR so good.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
You said "hoo boy, what a mess that turned into." when in fact it wasn't a mess and the game is amazing.

Stop backtracking. Either go play the game or don't talk about a game you have no clue about.

Chrono Cross was a poorly written disaster with good music. Calling it a mess is nicer than it deserves.

Nov 1, 2017
The story of Trigger works just fine the way it is. Magus and Schala played their part and the question of whether they will ever meet again is left to the players imagination.

Yeah that's what I always felt. I don't think it was ever meant to be resolved tbh, especially with Magus being an optional character and his entire motivation is to find her. And the "new" ending makes it even MORE tragic, sheesh.

About Chrono Cross: I love that damn game to death but don't consider it a sequel. More like a story inspired by the events Chrono Trigger. Anyone else feel that way?

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if they were anticipating a sequel and thought a loose end or two wouldn't hurt.

But then we got that Chrono Cross crap, so fuck 'em.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty ridiculous that we're supposed to believe Schala and Kidd are the same character. How does a noble princess of an ancient kingdom become a blue haired pirate out of nowhere? There's no setup or anything. It's fanfic level writing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty ridiculous that we're supposed to believe Schala and Kidd are the same character. How does a noble princess of an ancient kingdom become a blue haired pirate out of nowhere? There's no setup or anything. It's fanfic level writing.

Oh no it's quite simple.

In the infinite blackened void beyond space and time where Schala was condemned to for all eternity she cloned herself and sent it to 1004 AD where Lucca found it, and then that clone baby grew up and became Kid.

(Also she's blonde, but the bigger question is why Schala is blonde)

And that's not even getting into Harle's deal.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no it's quite simple.

In the infinite blackened void beyond space and time where Schala was condemned to for all eternity she cloned herself and sent it to 1004 AD where Lucca found it, and then that clone baby grew up and became Kid.

(Also she's blonde, but the bigger question is why Schala is blonde)

And that's not even getting into Harle's deal.
It's objectively false information that Kidd is a "clone" of Schala. They look nothing alike. I am legit shocked that Chrono trigger and Chrono Cross have the same writer because from an outside view looking in it seems like the writer of Chrono Cross hasn't even played Chrono Trigger.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's objectively false information that Kidd is a "clone" of Schala. They look nothing alike. I am legit shocked that Chrono trigger and Chrono Cross have the same writer because from an outside view looking in it seems like the writer of Chrono Cross hasn't even played Chrono Trigger.

Not only is Kid Schala's clone but so is Lynx's clown GF except she was made by dragons.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'll shittalk it for him, it was fucking terrible. Killed the franchise.
It wasn't a franchise before Cross, and it wasn't going to be if people waited forever for the dream team to reassemble.

Also you're very wrong about it being terrible. Not unfolding the way people wanted is not the same as having a bad narrative.

The biggest issue with the game is that it simply was not finished. Not in that it doesn't have a conclusion, but in the fact it obviously had to be cut way down near the end because of Square's ridiculous "finish a game in 2 years no matter what" policy.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, that's a problem with almost every Squaresoft PS1 game. FFVIII and Xenogears especially.
I won't deny that Gears CD2 is a mess, but once you get to the actual ending part is surprisingly basic. It's really nothing like CC trigger kids vomiting exposition and "twists" on you.

Kato only wrote a single time period of CT (Zeal). CT was a combined effort of several writers coming together.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have the same writer. Kind of.

The original draft was written by Yuji Horii of Dragon Quest fame, Kato then cleaned it up and also wrote the Zeal segment.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because not every story beat needs to be wrapped up? These sorts of details imply that the word keeps going after the main adventure of a narrative wraps up.
I prefer these things to be left unsaid.
Too bad they didn't leave things unsaid, so they made some extra, extended ending in the DS version and that awful "Fall of Guardia" animated ending to things even worse.

About Chrono Cross: I love that damn game to death but don't consider it a sequel. More like a story inspired by the events Chrono Trigger. Anyone else feel that way?
I would love to consider Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross to be devoid of any connection, but the rereleases of Trigger that added all that unnecessary fluff in an effort to connect the two make that difficult. That's why the only version of Trigger I care about is the SNES original.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's just not Trigger's sequel."
Your friends either never played Cross, or were absolutely not paying attention. The game only works as a CT sequel, taking CT out destroys the entire premise (that fucking with time has consequences, that for every person and timeline saved, you destroy another, and that despite your every choice does the same, you have to live in the moment and have hope for the future)

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
The 'not a sequel' denial stuff is wild. Time to storm the squaresoft capitol building and demand an official separation of the two games.

Oct 25, 2017

That would make little to no sense considering the entirety of the plot of Cross is dependent of what happened in Trigger.

Your friends either never played Cross, or were absolutely not paying attention. The game only works as a CT sequel, taking CT out destroys the entire premise (that fucking with time has consequences, that for every person and timeline saved, you destroy another, and that despite your every choice does the same, you have to live in the moment and have hope for the future)

BRAVO.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose, it's just the, "I've never played, but it's bad" part of the postings that struck me.

EDIT: Here is a link to my semi recent LttP.
A flawed classic and underappreciated sequel

Complicated plots aren't inherently bad (Xenogears is at least as much of a clusterfuck as Chrono Cross, but the dense lore is absolutely vital and has carried on in every subsequent game since) but Cross probably had that extra hurdle to jump coming off of the fairy tale simplicity of Chrono Trigger.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Except that's not really what happens, timelines are only erased because of the Time Devourer, and multiple timelines are shown to be able to coexist without issues. The CT cast time traveling isn't really at fault, though the moral consequences of merging all timelines and the countless lives that would be lost from that at the end of CC never gets questioned unfortunately.