• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Completely forgot lice is a thing until now. I remember the school nurse coming around and checking the other kids for lice in elementary school. I'm not sure if anyone ever had it. Do they check middle and high schoolers??

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think this is what we call nits and that definitely went around my class at some point, I remember my Mother going through my hair with one of those combs.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yep - my whole kindergarten class caught it. I remember having to do the shampoo and it smelled AWFUL and then the stupid tweezers.

Such an unpleasant experience. Right up there with chicken pox.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Yes, I remember the whole class got it at some point. 1st grade? Second? I don't remember when.

I don't hear about lice as much these days but then again I don't have kids. On the other hand, I have heard a lot about bedbugs in the last 15 years and I don't remember hearing anything about them in the 80s-90s outside of "Don't let the bedbugs bite" when I was tucked in. Did they make some kind of resurgence or have they always been the same level of problem?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I remember the whole class got it at some point. 1st grade? Second? I don't remember when.

I don't hear about lice as much these days but then again I don't have kids. On the other hand, I have heard a lot about bedbugs in the last 15 years and I don't remember hearing anything about them in the 80s-90s outside of "Don't let the bedbugs bite" when I was tucked in. Did they make some kind of resurgence or have they always been the same level of problem?
Funny you say this, I just watched the 30 Rock episode where Jack had bedbugs.

OP
OP
jwk94

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

How do you even get bed bugs?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Nope but it happened at my daughter's daycare when she was three or four. Total nightmare and we didn't even end up with any of them. Just watching and waiting for them is so stressful. I feel very bad for parents who end up finding them.

edit: I just remembered my brother's class had a case when I was a kid on Hawaii. I have a strong memory of everyone panicking about ukus for a couple of weeks.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but it was the "Weird kid" so their social standing didn't change I think. Though this was quite long ago so I dont remember the details.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Outbreaks during like K-2 years for my area. The standard product to kill them that they recommended to like everyone I ended up reacting to and stained my hair colour (I pretty much had white hair as a child) so we had to go digging for an alternative and if it didn't work it was back to the standard product.

God I hate lice

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I had lice multiple times. Grew up in a very poor household, not well maintained. The sphere of family and friends were the same, so it could easily spread too. I remember one time I had these huge duck lice or something too. Freaked the salon lady out good when she was cutting my hair, called my mom in a panic.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

They are hitchhikers. They'll hitch a ride in purses, boxes, etc. They can go a long time without eating so they are able to live in the walls for months and months. In apartment complexes it's a bigger issue. They can move from one unit to the next. It has nothing to do with cleanliness or anything like that, bed bugs don't discriminate.

I believe the stigma comes from how difficult and how costly it can be to get rid of them. Poor people don't have as many options unfortunately :(.

I'd deal with lice anyday over bed bugs.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10

Lots of ways: Stay in a hotel, cabin, or rental home that has them, or some of the people that stayed there before you had them, and when you go home they hitch a ride on your clothes, in your luggage, etc. Boom, you're screwed. If you're going to travel you need to be careful and take precautions by checking the room, and then sanitizing your clothes and luggage on return, etc.

Maybe you live in an apartment and the neighbors brought them in. Or you bought some cool case, clothes, or furniture at the thrift store and they hitched a ride. etc. etc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, not a single instance of lice in my classes. At least no outbreak. I'm sure a kid or two was pulled out due to them having lice at some point without it being some big classroom story, but no known cases.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, multiple times. Sometimes I got it, other times no.

Did anyone else's parents use vinegar to kill the lice instead of shampoo? To this day, smelling vinegar just reminds me of the whole ordeal. We also tended to have a lot of cousins in the house at the time, so it was like straight four hours of smelling vinegar as each kid got the treatment.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
There was an outbreak at my school at one point. The entire school got tested. I had a buzzed head at the time so I lucked out.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I only remember random lice checks, but no one ever having lice. And now as an adult I'm realizing that there's a good chance they didn't tell us kids who had lice or they'd get made fun of.

And the random checks may not have been as random as I would think.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I thought it wasn't much of a thing when I was a kid, but now as a parent of young children let me tell you 100% kids in your class have had lice while you were in there. The kids just don't really talk about it while all the parents in the group whatsapps or other chat groups are sharing the different outbreaks. Luckily my two sons wear hair gel so they're immune.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. When I was in second grade, they had all the kids get checked for live at school. A bunch of kids ended up getting sent home.

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
well.jpg

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... I can recall hearing about other kids in passing getting lice, and I'm pretty sure I remember my own hair getting checked once or twice because of it? But I don't believe I ever had it myself and I don't recall any actual breakouts happening in my classes.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah me as a young kid, I remember my mom using that weird tiny comb that comes with the stuff you buy to get rid of them

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In elementary school one of the other classes had a case so the whole school had to be checked but I don't think any other classes had cases.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I thought it wasn't much of a thing when I was a kid, but now as a parent of young children let me tell you 100% kids in your class have had lice while you were in there. The kids just don't really talk about it while all the parents in the group whatsapps or other chat groups are sharing the different outbreaks. Luckily my two sons wear hair gel so they're immune.
Yeah, this. There's a couple of outbreaks a year at my daughter's school, we've had to treat her a couple of times. It's actually way more effective the way they deal with it now as the email groups means they can alert all parents easily without trying to track down specific cases, what'sapp groups means parents share info quickly, and the stuff to deal with it is way more effective now too. I hated nits as a kid as the shampoo stank and wasn't that effective, but these days it's all odourless silicone treatments that effectively suffocate the lice and that they can't develop an immunity to. One overnight treatment, rinse/comb it out, then another 7 days later to catch any that hatched in the meantime, and job done.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I never understand how people get these in the first place. My son had an outbreak in every year of his school.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
head vermin, the scourge of every hygienic sailor on the seven seas !!!

Had them in elementary school i believe.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Dude I don't know how but a year ago I got lice. I'm a dude that at the time was living alone, no kids. Hiring a professional to come rid my hair of lice was a weird fucking phonecall to make. Lol

Only thing I could guess is I got it on public transit. Got long hair that goes down to my chest and billows out everywhere. Must've hitchhiked that way. Been wearing my hair in a ponytail ever since.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I think my entire class had it when we were around 6. Afterwards the teachers warned us of sharing each others knit caps.

Oct 27, 2017
Not personally had them, but my daughter had them last year - they were a fucking nightmare to get rid of, we tried all the usual conditioner and comb methods, the various chemicals you put on and leave for hours like Hedrin, nothing worked.

And then we tried this stuff called Nitwits all in one. Took 20 minutes, worked first time, job done.

So any parents out there don't fuck around, just use this stuff:
Nitwits!

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
I never had it in primary/elementary school, but I had them real bad once I was 14 or so. We tried quite a lot of conditioners + thorough combing but that didn't seem to do much.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
No. There were rumours that somone in a class below me had it but that's it.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
they thought my brother and I had fleas once at school, when they would inspect kids for lice or whatever.

second comb through proved those fucckers wrong.

Nov 18, 2017
oh god just reading that made my head itch. had them loads growing up, there was a girl in my school whose parents were absolutely neglectful her hair was rampant with them that poor girl had it rough you could see her hair moving during morning assembly.

Pretty much my entire class had them on and off between years 5 & 6, I feel so sorry for that girl her father was eventually arrested for . She lived on the same road as one of my friends and there was near constant yelling coming from that house. Her mum & auntie were big drinkers, I hope she managed to get the hell out of there she basically became a social pariah in primary school as folks would avoid her to not get nits.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had it. It took forever to get rid of. My mom and grandma searched my head with their hands, like in the hunter-gatherer documentaries. I used the comb too but that was really painful.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Former stepdaughter caught it when it was going around her daycare. My ex-wife then caught it in short order. They tried Rit first, which didn't work. They then tried mayonnaise(!), which also didn't work. Finally, they tried baby oil, which did. The whole thing sucked.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
No for me. But someone in my sisters third grade class gave it to my sister and everyone else in the class and others in the school and my mother was fucking pissed because it was a real pain in the ass combing her hair for the next 10 days looking for any nits.

Someone in my kids preschool had it and most kids got it as a result. We dodged a bullet because we were on vacation and kept our kids out of school for another week.

But its disgusting and a real pain to get rid of it if you have long hair.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Yep. My step sister brought it home from school, then everyone in the house got it. The girls got lice treatment shampoo, the boys got their heads shaved.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, someone in one of my classes got lice...

I got lice when I was about 8, my family went on a trip to a foreign country and while there my brother and I tried on hats at a marketplace, we both came back with lice, my mom also tried on hats and got it at as well. My dad didn't and didn't come back with Lice

Had it cleared up before school started, but still someone in my class got lice. Learned lessons that you should wash clothes before you wear them....

However It's still very much a thing, couple of my kids had friends get lice in preschool/kindergarten but ours never got it.

They can hitch rides in your suitcases if you load and unload them on an infected bed. Then if you do the same thing at your house your bed gets them. Always unload/load them away from a bed, and if possible keep dirty laundry in a plastic bag when travelling back to limit exposure possibilities