• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, CT is one of the easiest JRPGs of the era. One of my favorite games ever, but no guide is necessary at all.

There are a few times where you need to talk to random people to trigger things, so I get it, but that's just how games were back then and we spent a long time with our games. Still, it was only about ~20 hours tob eat with no guide the first time through even as 13 year old.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Starting in volume #73 (June '95) of Nintendo Power, they started devoting a few pages each month to Chrono Trigger. #73 and #74 were previews of the already released Super Famicom version and an early build of the NA version, respectively. Starting in volume #75 however, coverage turned into a bonafide walkthrough of the first one-third of the game, concluding in the fight with Magus in volume #76. It ended in an advertisement for the Official Player's Guide they were putting together for October.

This is how I learned of the game and its release. I think I got my copy after issue #76 was out but before the Player's Guide was available. I eventually bought the guide just to have it, but I completed the rest of the game sans any help... I think. I was also reading other print mags like GamePro and EGM at the time but NP was my only subscription.

I got all the endings except for that one tricky one where the girls rate the CT men. Blew my mind when I saw it existed in the official guide.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Of course. The game is pretty straightforward... where were you getting lost? Unless you meant getting all the different endings.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I still take joy in the memory of beating this game on og xbox via an emulator.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah of course, it wasn't considered a difficult game AT ALL back in the day.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Got all the side-content and most, if not all, of the endings without a guide. I was just a very curious kid and tried everything I could. It's a short game, so trying to go back to finish the game in ng+ at certain parts of the game to see if I got a new ending was fun.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Chrono Trigger isn't really a hard game at all. It guides you through the main plot, and speaking to NPCs can help guide you (if you stopped paying attention to what the main characters were saying, anyways). I used a guide for a couple sidequests, but the main story was very easy to follow, and I rarely got lost, so I never needed a guide to beat the game.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
With CT I figured it all out myself by trial and error. I didn't get all the endings, but did all the optional stuff. But it was also neat in that game to try and find out stuff in the world map. I was specifically obsessed with the prehistoric world jungles, haha. With FFVI, I do remember some stuff being mentioned in Super Play (the British magazine) that I would've never figured out, such as how to find Gogo, and all Shadow's dreams.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I didn't need one, but I played it on DS. Don't know if it was much easier, and I was 21 (2010, I think?). I did miss Magus and wasn't able to add him to my party. I found out after finishing it, because I looked up all the endings. Fuck playing all those endings.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
doing all the side stuff i needed some guide help, but just beating the game is pretty straightforward, much easier than other jrpg from the time

chrono cross is another story if u want to get every character... so much stuff is missable

OP
OP
Metanoia Prime
Oct 26, 2017
California
Starting in volume #73 (June '95) of Nintendo Power, they started devoting a few pages each month to Chrono Trigger. #73 and #74 were previews of the already released Super Famicom version and an early build of the NA version, respectively. Starting in volume #75 however, coverage turned into a bonafide walkthrough of the first one-third of the game, concluding in the fight with Magus in volume #76. It ended in an advertisement for the Official Player's Guide they were putting together for October.

This is how I learned of the game and its release. I think I got my copy after issue #76 was out but before the Player's Guide was available. I eventually bought the guide just to have it, but I completed the rest of the game sans any help... I think. I was also reading other print mags like GamePro and EGM at the time but NP was my only subscription.

I got all the endings except for that one tricky one where the girls rate the CT men. Blew my mind when I saw it existed in the official guide.

That's amazing, haha. Well played by the advertising / marketing department.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to beat a JRPG without peaking at some sort of a guide, even if only briefly.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't beat it totally without a guide, but I made it all the way towards the end of Zeal as a kid without a guide before running into a wall that was really more of a lack of leveling.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I had to have my older cousin beat a part I was stuck/lost on, don't remember where it was specifically. Brought my SNES to some family thing at my grandmas. I think we also beat Joe and Mac co-op either before that or at the same party.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Yeah, it's not very hard to figure out at all? Most NES games are much harder to figure out.
Also the instruction manual had a walkthrough for the first few hours of the game, so that helped.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Yep first on playstation and then on DS though a friend told me how to make a magus a party member because they didn't want me to miss that, I didn't get spoiled on anything else and played through the game mostly blind quite easily.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The game is fairly linear until you gain the Epoch, and even still Gaspar at The End of Time gives you guided hints for most of the major side quests. Also talking to specific NPCs such as Toma and Melchior and visiting the Village of Mideel will direct you most of the non-obvious side objectives.

No. I didn't need a guide.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the thing is there are 13 different endings to the game. You can easily stumble into some of them.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah. The game has a pretty smooth difficulty curve and (despite the multiple time periods) the scope of the game's world is small and segmented enough that if you hit a narrative dead end or forget what you were doing, it didn't take that long to brute-force your way back onto the story-critical path.

The only real strategy guide element would be trying to target all the endings, but I wasn't that concerned about that sort of thing at the time.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, It's a relatively easy JRPG (which is a part of the reason why it even made it out of Japan)...it's not exactly FFVIII

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
To my recollection I beat it without a guide about a month after it launched. I was suscribed to Nintendo Power so it's not impossible that helped. My memory is hazy because the game launched when I was 16 and the following 6 years involved a lot of drinking.

Edit: think my subscription lapsed when I was a younger teen, around 13-14.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
This was the first JRPG I ever owned(received it for Xmas from my parents). Didn't use a guide and didn't truly have a grasp of RPGs. I didn't know to use potions/items and didn't use one all the way up to the first Yakra fight. After I figured that out and better understood about equipment I was truly loving the game. Didn't use a guide but the game made most things pretty logical to figure out. I think I had dumb luck figuring out the rainbow shell side quest tho, and was able to do all other side quests just checking around in each time period. Never got ALL the endings tho but got a good chunk. Many games after that used a guide but CT was my trial by fire