• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Me and my mom and uncle were obsessed with it, at least the first few seasons and the first celebrity one. It was a really unique idea and it was fun having to pay attention to basically every detail of every episode and see if one of us could figure it out. The music that played also had this mysterious and sort of creepy vibe that made the voting parts really tense. Plus Anderson Cooper was a good host.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was the best. Amazing Race and The Mole in those early years are peak reality gameshow.

TINY BUBBLES.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and along with Murder in Small Town X. Sadly the winner of Murder in Small Town X was firefighter who was killed on 9/11.

Dec 26, 2017
I've actually told people about that Tiny Bubbles thing before, when explaining how cool this show was! Him trying to convince everybody that his horrible night in the Tiny Bubbles room actually happened was amazing.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah I did.

Also Joe Schmo. Fell off reality TV pretty hard though after all.

Haven't watch any shows like that in eons.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anderson Cooper before he was 'famous' :P

Speaking of short-lived reality shows:

Kid Nation.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to rewatch this...I think I only saw two seasons? Or, three? I know the season I stopped on had a clearly smaller budget, they obviously couldn't travel the group as much...

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved The Mole. It was an amazing show. I used to be so into it, posting on message boards about it and looking at screencap clues and stuff. I rewatched Season 2 awhile ago on YouTube and was amazed how well it stood up.

I think what it got right was its atmosphere and its sense of humor. The music score and traveling around Europe gave them that spy motif and some gravitas. Where when they would eliminate people, it would be genuinely tense watching him type in names.

But it balanced it out by being incredibly silly and light hearted with the challenges. Especially in Season 2, where Anderson Cooper got to hang out and have more fun with the contestants. There was this challenge where they had to grease up this lawn gnome and carry it. And I have no idea how Anderson got through the instructions about greasing your gnome without cracking up. There were tense and stressful moments, but it seemed like people had a lot of good times on the show.

The celebrity Hawaii season was great too, mostly because Kathy Griffin was so funny during it. Corbin Bernsen really got on her nerves.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I saw the first season and found it surprisingly compelling as a dude who tends to reject reality tv out of hand. I think mostly because its gimmick was simple enough that it didn't feel phony the way the other shows did. Especially because part of the show's conceit was that any backstabbing happening in the show was being done under wraps; the show's drama was never exaggerated. It was arguably closer to something like The Crystal Maze than, say, Survivor. Which is great, because Survivor was dumb.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
A pretty darn clever show. There was this 4-5 year period around Survivor where they were trying all sorts of crazy reality shows, and even the bad stuff was good (RIP Temptation Island). Then somehow the Kardashian-style lifestyle reality show came to dominate and it all went blah.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was the best. Amazing Race and The Mole in those early years are peak reality gameshow.

TINY BUBBLES.
I've actually told people about that Tiny Bubbles thing before, when explaining how cool this show was! Him trying to convince everybody that his horrible night in the Tiny Bubbles room actually happened was amazing.

Someone put the sequence on YouTube. I can't believe they got Anderson Cooper to do this whole Norman Bates thing at the beginning of it.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
The Dutch version is still alive and kicking. This year (season 20!) it peaked at 3.54 million simultanious viewers, pretty good for a country with a population of 17 million.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, in the Netherlands this show is like the most popular show on TV. Smashing ratings for 20 years now.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I still do. There's a couple of people who subtitle the Dutch version on a weekly basis and the Belgian version when they get opportunities to do so (This year Belgium's fallen behind but it's understandable with everything else that's going on!)

www.youtube.com

WIDM English Subs

This channel is meant for any foreign person obsessed with the Dutch TV show Wie is de Mol. I will try and provide you with as many seasons of subtitled epis...

Go nuts.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Hello folks, sorry to bump, but I wanted to inform you all of some good news!

If you haven't watched The Mole, soon you WILL be able to again: Next week, the original series is coming to Netflix

http://buzzerblog.com/2021/06/15/abcs-the-mole-comes-to-netflix/

On top of that, and the really exciting news: The Mole US is being rebooted right now, it's being filmed in Australia, for an unknown streaming service (one would assume Netflix again). The Belgian version of The Mole is utterly stunning, and you should all be watching that too.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

If you haven't watched The Mole, soon you WILL be able to again: Next week, the original series is coming to Netflix

On top of that, and the really exciting news: The Mole US is being rebooted right now, it's being filmed in Australia, for an unknown streaming service (one would assume Netflix again). The Belgian version of The Mole is utterly stunning, and you should all be watching that too.

oh. thread bump.

the mole. good times. maybe the US can reboot it too and get anderson back. come on, anderson...

Last edited:

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best things our country has ever produced in terms of television. Last season of the belgian version was once again absolutely stunning and captivating tv. It's the OG and if possible should always be watched.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best things our country has ever produced in terms of television. Last season of the belgian version was once again absolutely stunning and captivating tv. It's the OG and if possible should always be watched.

The episode with the carpool karaoke/wine glasses/bunker games was the best episode of TV I've ever seen.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I caught the mole more recently, years after it originally aired. Its very good, and if people enjoy it I recommend they look into the many international versions available. Australia has done several seasons, the uk did a couple, and some of the ones from non english countries are available with subtitles too.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I always loved this show and I still hate that it was canceled so soon. The then wing was just right and, sure, there was drama, but cleverness and observation really made it a great game. I thought the hotel escape room had to be one of the most clever tasks ever made for a reality show (and honestly still do). Amazing Race is the only thing that comes close.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Mole the one where they "killed" whoever got voted off or whatever or was that a different show? I remember thinking they were actually killing people (I was quite young at the time).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the few reality shows I watched as a kid, loved the mystery element of it.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Mole the one where they "killed" whoever got voted off or whatever or was that a different show? I remember thinking they were actually killing people (I was quite young at the time).

There was Murder In Small Town X, where they acted as if eliminated players were actually killed. On the Mole, the eliminations were referred to as "executions".

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven

Oh awesome, will definitely rewatch I loved it the first time around.

How would one watch the Belgian version? (And would there be English subs?)

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Oh awesome, will definitely rewatch I loved it the first time around.

How would one watch the Belgian version? (And would there be English subs?)

This channel has Mega links with subs:
https://youtu.be/xL5ljWfWHFw

Each episode is about 90 minutes, but once you've got a grasp for the pacing it flies in.

This season from earlier this year has a really fun cast and great challenges, and the cinematography is unparalleled by other game shows.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Amazing threadbump, thanks for letting us know!

Hopefully this time the reboot will take and we can get multiple new seasons of this thing.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
There was Murder In Small Town X, where they acted as if eliminated players were actually killed. On the Mole, the eliminations were referred to as "executions".

I remember enjoying these shows, but if I recall correctly, Murder in Small Town X aired in the Summer before September 2001. Tragically, the winner was a firefighter from New York who passed away in 9/11 when the towers collapsed.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
One of my favourite TV shows.

I would download episodes from the US and AUS over mIRC (and any ENG subtitled other nation versions I could find).

The two UK series were the best, by far, as far as contestent, challenge variety and most importantly, the host goes.

The controller of Channel 5 at the time cancelled it because she thought it was too difficult to follow if you weren't watching from the start.

That same person cancelled my favourite kids TV show Knightmare on another channel years prior because she wanted to appeal to younger kids more susceptible to advertising than smarter kids.

I really, really do not like her.

But The Mole and Knightmare are awesome!

(Also fun fact: the host of the UK Mole was the Banker on Deal or no Deal, where the UK version of another continental European gameshow was *also* legitimately the best version...
The Banker was Glen Hugill - host of our version of The Mole
)

(And please..click on all the links above...!)

Phoenix4

Oct 28, 2017
I randomly found out that a co-worker featured on one of the early seasons. Will def watch when it launches on Netflix

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah bring it on.

The Mole
Murder in Small Town X
Whodunnit

Most underrated competition reality shows of all time.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Huh the premise sounds quite right though the name isn't familiar, maybe it had a different name in Canada? Probably not..
I remember enjoying these shows, but if I recall correctly, Murder in Small Town X aired in the Summer before September 2001. Tragically, the winner was a firefighter from New York who passed away in 9/11 when the towers collapsed.
Damn..

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first two seasons are up on netflix now! A little disappointed they didn't add the celebrity mole seasons, since those were just goofy as all get out, but season one may be one of the best reality shows.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks for the bump and letting us know it's on Netflix, Cruxist. Used to love this show as a kid, alongside Murder in Small Town X. Both just felt like a breath of fresh air for reality TV.

I remember Whodunnit? as well, though it wasn't a well made at the other two.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The only thing I remember about this show is the time someone had a dream where the person who was the mole revealed themselves, and it was fucking correct. That blew my mind as a kid.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Watching season 2 again even though I've seen it a thousand times and I forgot about some of the super embarrassing moments like the costumes in episode 2. lol

I just wonder where all the cast members are and if they're surprised to see the show on Netflix after like 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.