• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I was super hyped for smash, pre loaded, and when it came spent a whole weekend with it non stop

Over the course of the next week dug into the different modes, played classic through with some diff characters, tried WoL, and competitive online

I quickly grew tired of WoL - it just did not click with me. But I still was having fun with classic and online.

Then after a few weeks my interest just...died. And it hasn't come back since. I've forced myself to pick it up, but I quickly get bored of playing either frustrating items matches or tense glory ones and invariably flick over to something else.

I'm not sure what it is. I don't really stray from my main which means its quite samey and I guess that's on me, but in previous games the competitive would keep me hooked but for some reason it just isn't. The lack of an engaging single player mode is possibly the main culprit, but smash hasn't had that for years. Or maybe the switches snappy menu is giving me gaming ADHD and i just cant stick to one thing unless im mega gripped.

But yeah - kinda sad about it really.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got a solid 100 hours out of it before putting it down. Will play again when Joker comes out.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Just as past ones, doing the solo stuff, achievement wall and done. Not sure I'll get the Fighter Pass since I have no friends haha.

On Wii U I bought all character DLC at once and got 2 more hours of it, really regretted that.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda did but not because of the game itself. Too much shit came out. RE2, Ace Combat, DMC5, Division 2, and I went back to Kiwami 2. I put like 60 hours into the game after the first month. My hype is definitely gonna come back next month.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Nah still playing almost every night. After having played through WoL, online is all i do when i play alone. Sometimes i get friends over or play with my brother, which is my real 'smash time'. Online helps me improve my game to defeat each of my friends and my brother. I got so much better by playing online frequently.

On one hand I try to get every character into elite smash, which helps me improve my game with characters i normally wouldn't pick. On the other hand i try climbing up the GSP ladder with my main. Gives me enough variety.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
yeah got halfway with WoL and haven't really been back, hoping Joker gets me into it for a bit.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yes, and this happened to me last time too. I thought it was just because I hated the Wii U but that's clearly not the case now.

With Smash U, I played Classic with every character and was done before Piranha Plant came out. After two full Smash cycles it's clear to me that I enjoy speculating on, discussing, and looking forward to Super Smash Bros games much more than I like playing them. I still follow the community. I still enjoy relating to the game in many other ways. I just don't actually like playing it.

It's a weird feeling. It's a far cry from my youth where I played Melee every day until Brawl came out then played Brawl every day for years.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Im with you. I was looking forward for the game for a long time thinking it would be the flagship game i play on switch. After a weekend i just lost all interest and did not even unlock the full roster. Just had zero drive and wanted to put my attention else where.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
My usual cycle with Smash is as follows:

- Play it incessantly for a month after release;
- Drop it completely for two or three months;
- Get back to it and play it for a bit every single day.

It's been like that with Ultimate as well.

I probably would be playing it incessantly still if the online was any good, but alas.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I thought it was going to be the best game on my system but outside of the first week it turned into a pick up and play game for 30 minutes once every week or two. It's good but not great, to me.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same, I "only" played around 50-60 hours due to the massive amount of games that released from January to early March. I plan to get back on it once the schedule is clearer. Nothing to do with the game's quality tho, it's the best Smash by far.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked all the characters and that is about it so far, the World of Light hasn't done much for me at all.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm not in a place in my life where a) I want to dedicate myself or my time to it b) I'm having people over to play videogames frequently c) if I do have people over and we have a videogame, it's more likely going to be Jackbox or Nidhogg or Mount Your Friends or something

I finished World of Light, played about a half-dozen hours online. I'm done with it.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
As a solo player I bounced off early (less than 10hrs) the content there just seems vapid. I think I might sell it.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'd play it more if my friends played. I find people online too good and just want to have casual fun but none of my gaming friends have any interest in smash.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Like with every Smash game, I always start with the character unlock thing. But I don't know, this time it's so tedious... And I hate the fact that it ends with Master Hand bullshit boss fight almost everytime really. Tried online once when I finally unlocked my main Diddy after almost ten hours but lag was abysmal. I really want to like it because it's indeed the ultimate game when you think about it. But there's so many modes and stuff locked that you must do it by binge and repeat the same thing...

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of. The online is so bad (lag, the systems in place and such) and it kills the game for me in a way. But then I watch a tournament and get hyped and play for a few days until online annoys me too much.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the game's fault. Since Smash came out I've had RE2, KH3, Apex Legends, Tetris 99, DMC V, and on/off relationship with WoW, and on Friday Sekiro to deal with. Q1 2019 has been front-loaded with good stuff to play.

I still go back to Smash to play with friends (or just to hang out in), but fighting games are a constant. There's no definite end. So I'll likely be playing it on and off until the next Smash. If that never comes out and they just keep building on this one that works too.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play as much as I used to, but it seems I don't play anything as much as I used to so I think that's just getting older. Still play at least weekly though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i only bought Smash as a game to have when i have guests

i spent the first few weeks unlocking characters and playing a bit on my own, havent touched it since

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished all of WoL in the first week the game came out and then I just dropped the game. Played a little of Plant when he came out. But I'm just waiting on DLC like stage building and or something like Smash Run again. There is nothing maintaining my interest this Smash game. But I will say I got my money's worth day one.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Took me 60 hours to unlock all characters, beat classic mode with all of them, and 100% World of Light (all 3 endings). I got my money's worth. I never play Smash online. I booted it up to try Piranha Plant. I'll do it again for Joker. (Gotta beat classic mode with both still).

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been taking a bit of a break and only playing it every so often in the past few weeks, but I very much enjoy this game a lot more than I did Smash 4, and I've been watching Smash tourneys/events whenever I caught them as well, which bodes well for me - I find this game a lot more fun to watch than 4.

Nov 17, 2017
I think the game needed much better single player content. World of Light is excruciatingly boring in my opinion. I wish they did something else instead of the whole spirits things which just feel like slightly more involved stickers from Brawl.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I fell off 4 really fast despite liking it a lot. Can't remember 4's online much, but something about Ultimate has kept me playing online more frequently. I also now know people irl who play it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Think I lasted just over the launch weekend. Maybe a week tops. I told myself this is the time I learn Smash and really 'get it' , like I attempt with every fighting game, but it's time to accept that Smash just isn't for me.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of. I still play it a lot when I have some friends over. Other than that I don't touch it. Wol was boring as fuck so I dropped it after a little while. So far with Joker and the likely Dragon Quest guy being the first 2 DLC's I don't have any interest in picking it back up to test them out either. Still it's great fun when my friends are around but yeah, imo the single player ball was dropped yet again.

Deleted member 50761

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This was my first Smash game, got it for Christmas and only played about 3 hours before I re-sold it. I either didn't "get" it or it's just not for me.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I fell off Smash like a week after Ultimate came out and eventually sold my copy. Not knocking fans, but I just wasn't having fun with the game at all and my friends and family would all rather play MK8 anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I got all 1303 Spirits in the game. Now I'm just waiting for the DLC. I could try for the challenge board at least...

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I fell off a lot quicker and harder than I expected. For me I was playing solo as most of my friends have moved away from gaming and it just didn't capture me as a solo experience as I expected. I'm glad I didn't bite on the DLC yet either as that would have likely just been a waste of money at this point. It's still a very good game and I enjoyed the time I played with it but in my circumstances there just isn't enough there to get me to keep coming back.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah I got busy with other games and work. Online is a clusterfuck so it never feels like just a pick up and play a few games type of game. It's a hassle to play with friends as I have to organize on discord and can't just invite when I see people playing. Usually if they're already playing they're not checking discord. Which means I'm playing alone.

Which is insane, I have the most friends irl who own and play this game than probably any other game. I just can't easily play with them.

Other games are just easier to chill with.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I can relate OP. Mind you I did kinda like the campaign, but it went on for too long and stopped at the end. However, smash has always been a party game and I have little incentive to play further when it is only me playing it.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
So a decent amount of people didn't like Wol either huh? Wonder what the percentage is of those who bought the game to those who finished Wol.