• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Kinda. Most of the things I liked about Sword were introduced in Let's Go, plus the single player, while coming from an old ass Gameboy game, was better. Shiny hunt and Pokéball combo was great.
On the other hand, Sword has the best Pokémon designs, cool gym battles and the open area.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually really enjoyed it, not a serious pokemon player. I play casually, so ill never be into ev training or anything like that. I enjoyed the aesthetics of lgp and lge more than sw/sh, even if 2019's games were deeper. Once im done with both sword expansions this year, i think im gonna replay lets go pikachu.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Pros
Gen 1 using modern stats/battle mechanics
Actual dungeons
Catching Pokémon is more enjoyable
The lower complexity was refreshing tbh
I completed a Pokédex for the first time ever
Great handheld experience
Nostalgia

Cons
Not enough battles
Not as much spectacle as SwSh
Can't import anything outside Gen 1
No Safari Zone
Meh postgame
Meh TV mode controls

I think I enjoyed it a tad more than SwSh, enough to see all the main game content to completion. I picked up the SwSh DLC and put it down in less than an hour, but I completed the Pokédex in LGE.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who played both Let's Go and SwSh casually, I think I enjoyed Let's Go a little bit more because it was marketed as it is and met my expectations. Even if I enjoyed SwSh, I'm slightly disappointed on it presentation wise.

Also, rideable Snorlax is a joy.

6bc.gif

CyberMonkey

Jun 20, 2019
I had very low expectations for Let's Go when it was first announced, but I got it from a friend and ended up thinking it was pretty fun. I think I also appreciated it more because I knew that a proper core game was supposed to come out the year after.

SwSh was basically the opposite situation. I had very high expectations when it was first announced, but it ended up being a very mediocre Pokémon game in my opinion.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The battling core of Pokemon is vs trainers and other players because the battle system is so utterly simplistic if you're only against one enemy to where it would be the worst jrpg battle system out there if that was the main draw. Wild Battles have always been menial and never part of any "core"
I respect your extreme certainty but disagree with your opinion. Perfectly sensible, but far more time is spent in wild battles than trainer battles so I have to disagree.

Theoretically, yes, trainer battles are the most important thing. Taking them out would be just as devastating, but from a practical perspective, it was far more disruptive of the game experience to lose wild battles given how much time we spend in them. Some of us enjoy those fights. That said though, the distinction isn't really important for me because I think removing either one of them makes no sense.

Again though, I respect your opinion.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
An abomination.

Good lord. Gamers.
Calm down it's a word. You're so badass and funny for calling me a gamer especially since you the guy with over 30,000 posts on gaming forum about video games, complaining about someone else's thoughts in a Pokémon video game thread, finds every game to be wonderful and can't fathom another's opinion being different, and has never exaggerated in their lives is in fact not a Gamer. You are better then all others.

Good Lord. The only non gamer on gaming forum.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. Pokemon is appealing because of trainers who have different team comps.
Wild battles are a time sink, never challenging and theres next to no skill to catching pokemon. Im not a fan of GO's catching but its STILL better than the waste of time that wild battles are right now.
The battling core of Pokemon is vs trainers and other players because the battle system is so utterly simplistic if you're only against one enemy to where it would be the worst jrpg battle system out there if that was the main draw. Wild Battles have always been menial and never part of any "core"
I really do get where you're coming from, but there are things about battling Wild Pokemon - little strategies and observations that can be made with a learned eye about the wild Pokemon you're facing - that make battling Wild Pokemon a lot more interesting to me than simply throwing balls at everything I come across. It's probably worth mentioning that I'm one of those people who enjoys grinding and taking my time in a JRPG. Wild Pokemon battles could stand to move a lot more quickly, and I wouldn't mind if catching Pokemon generally required a bit more thought or strategy than it does now - but all-in-all I prefer traditional wild Pokemon battling to Let's Go's alternative.

I wonder if a hybrid system could work. A system where you could choose to go for the capture outright, or you could choose to battle the wild Pokemon. To make that choice compelling, I think that battling a wild Pokemon should be a process centered less around whittling that Pokemon's HP down for an easier capture, and more about exposing that Pokemon's stats and abilities to the player. (For example, if I strike a wild Pokemon with a physical attack, it'd be cool for the game to then expose that Pokemon's defense and HP stats to me.) Could even make battling against wild Pokemon a bit of a mind puzzle, where choosing to battle a Pokemon can result in a guaranteed capture, so long as certain conditions, varying from species to species, are met. (For example, making Abra a guaranteed capture if I choose to battle it and then successfully paralyze it.) Maybe even go as far as to make it so that battling wild Pokemon gives the player's participant Pokemon EXP, while going for the immediate capture doesn't. Or make it so that battling a wild Pokemon can enhance their stats a bit before the capture. Just ideas to flesh out the wild Pokemon battling system a bit, to justify its inclusion alongside the Let's Go capture system in a game that features both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played both Let's Go and SwSh casually, I think I enjoyed Let's Go a little bit more because it was marketed as it is and met my expectations. Even if I enjoyed SwSh, I'm slightly disappointed on it presentation wise.

Also, rideable Snorlax is a joy.

6bc.gif
That was so amusing to see and just lots of fun.
Just a nice touch to the game.

Let's Go for a walk, everybody. No need for all this hostility.
Also this. Most of you here who replied have been great but no need for any snipes at each other.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I liked Let's Go a ton. It was my favorite Pokemon game since the DS games by far. Sw/Sh was better than the 3DS games(IMO) but I actually enjoyed Let's Go a lot more, partly because my expectations were different(a nice little stroll through Kanto vs the expectations and weight of a new mainline game) but also the streamlining of Let's Go basically took out all the stuff I didnt care about anyway(wild battles, breeding, post game, etc) but retained the core draw for me(which is collecting pokemon and going thru dungeons/gyms). I'm not someone who dumps 100 hours into pokemon games, I play them more like 20-30. So the model of Let's Go fit my time commitment more as well.

I'll probably pass on the next mainline Pokemon game but I'd pre-order a Let's Go Johto. I'm down for another leisurely stroll thru nostalgia.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Short version: I did enjoy Sw/Sh more than Let's go, mostly because of Gym/Raid battles and my character customization.

I did enjoy some elements of it. I loved that the battles with wild Pokemons were replaced by a catching minigame. I loved that you could play most of the game in co-op, even it being a super poor implementation. I loved how they integrated Pokemons following you, and you ridding them.

My problem with this remake is that, it has several short comings and some weird elements that just stop working. Battles become super uninteresting with the catch mechanic, so I opted to use co-op in all of them to steamroll everyone super fast. Because of that, iirc, I learned that in some places, like water, co-op doesn't work. For both catching and battling. Why? 🤷

Both games failed a lot in my opinion, in several areas, but mostly in game design, UX and in technical aspects.

But I would be lying if I say didn't love every single second I had while customizing my trainer, or doing my trainer card. It was also a blast going through gym battles, listening to the crowd, and seeing the gym leaders personalities. I just wished they had voice. It would be so much better. But since Pokemon screws new things they add, I'm scared of what might come of this. My first time going to a wild/open area was also amazing. It had severe issues, like: severe fps drop, poor weather implementation, assets quality, camera work; but the most disappointing thing about the wild area is leaving it. Even with several issues, it was so much better than the corridors the game makes you go through.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I believe my daughter liked let's go more than Sw/Sh, I was just a casual spectator so I wouldn't really know why

Oct 25, 2017
I actually did, yes. It had a lot more personality. Seeing the pokemon all over the wild, seeing them follow me, getting to ride on them, the world felt more alive and integrated than any other pokemon game. And I loved the visual style too, looked better than SWSH. A little bit Link's Awakening-esque. I never had fun shiny hunting until LGPE also. There are things I would change about it, and I think something inbetween LGPE and SWSH would be ideal. But as it stands, SWSH's return to basic formula was much less exciting for me than LGPE's shakeup, even if LGPE was oversimplified.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I detest both games but I can acknowledge that at least Let's Go mostly succeeds at what it sets out to do. It's a conservative, hyper-casualized retread of Kanto with a crisp, cohesive art style. It doesn't make you scratch your head and wonder what the fuck went wrong during development like Sword/Shield do.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I had more fun with Let's Go, it was nice to revisit Kanto and the wild catching system gave a snappier focus on the game. I'd be super down for a G/S version with Marill and Togepi!

Dexit soured me a lot on Sword/Shield and I didn't like anything about the open world area. Then the DLC as well, I just have a bad overall feeling around that game.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Yeah, hitting a wild battle in SWSH is always a huge *sigh* moment for me. I'm all for removing archaic and arbitrary jRPG rules from the past.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, hitting a wild battle in SWSH is always a huge *sigh* moment for me. I'm all for removing archaic and arbitrary jRPG rules from the past.
I was really worried GF would ditch the Pokémon being visible in the overworld from the let's go games for Sword and Shield. Glad they didn't though as it's my favorite change the series needed for a long time now, also makes the world feel more lively seeing Pokémon all around.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Tossing pokeballs at pokemon over and over to level up was one of the worst gameplay mechanics around for me personally. Wild battles never involved skill but at least you could interact with different pokemon, see moves and abilities, test out some of your own pokemons strengths and weaknesses.

The overall experience of the game was fine (since I got it pretty discounted at launch) but never again would I subject myself to it.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a blast with them and I'd love to see a Johto version. They're really simple, but playing side by side with my kids was a big plus. Including the mega forms and alola variants added some variety to the originals, and demolishing Mewtwo teams online never got old (the typical online code was pikapikapika).

They're not for everyone, and I enjoyed SS more. But they're good games.

An abomination.

Good lord. Gamers.

There is no pleasing a significant portion of this fan base. They'll buy every entry and whine incessantly about the direction of the series, instead of spending time and energy on stuff they actually enjoy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There is no pleasing a significant portion of this fan base. They'll buy every entry and whine incessantly about the direction of the series, instead of spending time and energy on stuff they actually enjoy.

Don't get me wrong: there are legitimate complaints to be had about the Pokemon franchise right now. As someone who has not played too much of the series, even I can see the issues. Sword/Shield are clearly good games but they could be so much more. I don't even think fans are asking for the Breathe of the Wild of the Pokemon franchise. They're just asking for more than what TPC is giving them.

But the anger that comes out toward the Let's Go games is ridiculous and often very toxic. The Let's Go games are clearly not geared toward the hardcore Pokemon fan. They're meant to be more casual and friendly for newcomers to the series. It's so strange to direct so much hate toward them.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Let's go was awesome, favourite Pokémon game in a long time. Pokémon everywhere on the map was a massive step up, and I liked that they tried something new with the catching wild Pokémon. Only thing I didn't like was how janky aiming the motion controls felt, and having permanent exp share meant I really didn't have to use a bunch of Pokémon to level them.

Really hope they continue with gold and silver

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Let's go was awesome, favourite Pokémon game in a long time. Pokémon everywhere on the map was a massive step up, and I liked that they tried something new with the catching wild Pokémon. Only thing I didn't like was how janky aiming the motion controls felt, and having permanent exp share meant I really didn't have to use a bunch of Pokémon to level them.

Really hope they continue with gold and silver

That is something I hope they fix in a potential Lets Go Johto game. The motion controls were a bit wonky at times, though my biggest hope is they allow for playing the game without motion controls so that way those with disabilities that prevent being able to play the game or those that simply want to turn it off can play too.

If Sword/Shield is anything to go by it seems EXP share on is here to stay as always on.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It did a lot of things better (hugging a snorlax to ride him, so cute) while simultaneously ruining a lot of what I loved about Gen 1. Overall, I like both approaches, wish they took the good ideas from Lets Go and added to Sword/Sheild

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't but I think it's largely because the pacing of Sword / Shield was a lot brisker.
Really? It takes goddamn forever to catch a Pokémon in Sword and Shield. Like 45+ minutes. The start of the game is agonizingly slow thanks to the many unskippable tutorials and cutscenes. I haven't played Let's Go, but from what I've seen you can get started much faster.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
That is something I hope they fix in a potential Lets Go Johto game. The motion controls were a bit wonky at times, though my biggest hope is they allow for playing the game without motion controls so that way those with disabilities that prevent being able to play the game or those that simply want to turn it off can play too.

If Sword/Shield is anything to go by it seems EXP share on is here to stay as always on.

yeah it's weird because it worked okay in handheld mode I thought, but there was no way on TV to do the same thing

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

This cutscene was better than the poxy fucking drawings Sword and Shield had so for that alone, Let's Go is better.

That is one thing I did really enjoy about the Let's Go games too, not specifically the cutscene content but the way they are presented. Like the example you showed it looks very cinematic/more lively with the Cubone interacting with the Marowack. Sword/Shield cut scenes feel a bit more stuff in comparison. The lack of voice acting really hurt Sword and Shield in my opinion. For example is was jarring seeing the president talk, mouth constantly moving in the opening cutscene but no actual voice acting, then later on when you go to face Piers he's currently mid concert and once again it's jarring. Felt like Gamefreak was animating the cutscenes as if the game was going to have voice acting but not actually including any.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it's weird because it worked okay in handheld mode I thought, but there was no way on TV to do the same thing

I mostly played in tv mode with very brief handheld mode and while I did prefer the tv mode motion controls, mostly because I had the Pokeball plus which was fun, the handheld controls were far more stable/consistent.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Enjoyed both quite a bit. Let's Go is great. I acknowledge the flaws in SwSh- mainly the pacing and paper-thin story- but still found a lot to love.

Neither game's issues warrant the degree of childish tantrums, abuse towards creators and shitty gate-keeping that we've been seeing.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I never finished let's go because of the way I had to catch pokemon. I did finish sword and enjoyed that more overall.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
If they let me just push a button instead of using motion controls, then I would have had some fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed both quite a bit. Let's Go is great. I acknowledge the flaws in SwSh- mainly the pacing and paper-thin story- but still found a lot to love.

Neither game's issues warrant the degree of childish tantrums, abuse towards creators and shitty gate-keeping that we've been seeing.

The fact it even has to be said is sad.

This is the Wii/casual games will ruin everything mentality all over again and it needs to be called out at every opportunity. It's not hyperbolic to say that awful time was the preview to even worse weaponised negative behaviour.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
It definitely did some things better, but no. I think the biggest fault was the trainer battle spamming, which I assume was to make up for the lack of wild battles. I still remember those last few routes and team rocket bases where it's just like 20-30 fights in a row. It's so much worse than any other Pokémon game i've ever played. Completely insane and mind numbing.

I actually didn't mind the catching mechanic, and I wouldn't mind if they made it so you fight the wild Pokémon normally and when you want to catch it, then it goes into the catching minigame, just like how it was for the legendaries. Think that could work quite well. But the lack of wild battles just hurts the rest of the experience so much. Only having Kanto Pokémon and no abilities also screwed up the balancing too, fighting a billion poison trainers was actually hell. There just aren't enough Pokémon that can easily counter that type in the game. Probably one of the more artificially difficult games in the series if you don't choose one of the 5-10 Pokémon that can actually cope well with it.

As for good things, riding Pokémon is the greatest, it was such an amazing addition to the series. It needs to come into the main games. Music was pretty nice. Yeah, I guess that's about it.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

This is the Wii/casual games will ruin everything mentality all over again and it needs to be called out at every opportunity. It's not hyperbolic to say that awful time was the preview to even worse weaponised negative behaviour.
Yup. It's really disgusting.

It's bad enough that fans of Let's Go/ShSw get shit on for enjoying those games but consider how many of those fans are grade-school age and it's even worse. It's one thing when people are vile about Star Wars or Batman, but Pokemon?

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What are you talking about now lmao, of course people will be negative if a quality declines significantly as we've seen with Gen 6 and subsequent gens after it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about now lmao, of course people will be negative if a quality declines significantly as we've seen with Gen 6 and subsequent gens after it.

"quality declines significantly" is subjective, especially when XY was such a big undertaking for the IP. Whats not subjective is that these games have some seriously toxic fans that you're going to see a lot of.

Sep 14, 2019
Dear goodness no.

I liked the graphics, designs, etc.

Not the mechanics.

I also have OCD and because of the mechanics, I I HAD to catch every single Pokémon. Frustrating.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I like them a lot for what they are. I went into them with really low expectations and they surpassed them. The catching mechanics are a fun diversion, the game actually looks fairly clean, and the OST is fantastic. I mostly just see it as a fun alternative, relaxing little way to experience Kanto, and not something that's supposed to usurp R/G/B/Y and the FR/LG remakes. I'm not exactly a "Genwunner" but gen 1 nostalgia just really gets me sometimes. I had to play it in handheld mode though, forced motion controls for console was a really weird decision, and I don't universally hate motion controls.

Sw/Sh are.....really disappointing for all of the various reasons people have outlined elsewhere to me. So yeah I prefer Let's Go to them.