• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I clicked on the thread hopeful for a positive story of how a scalper was stupid and accidentally set the buy it now price to a low amount.

Goddammit OP

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Honestly with current support and condition the PS5 is in. Its lack of features and games that take advantage of the hardware and controller. Features such as rest mode and external storage casuing possible issues. I feel like I've just paid 450 quid for a PS4 Pro Pro! I would have been so angry if I paid anything above 450. At the moment even that just seems a bit much.
Yup. Both consoles are coming in hot with their own issues. Paying extra for consoles with questionable failure rates and NO warranty? Moral implications aside, it's a terrible choice.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
There are people who are spending more money than they can afford because they struggle to control their impulses. I do feel for those people, are they are being taken advantage of.

People need better tools and/or help on how to manage those impulses and stop being reckless with money. There will always be yet another new shiny thing in the future, products with official and unofficial markets pushing more stuff for those hapless consumers. Plain budgeting would help in most cases, as then one can't use money that you don't have.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
No.

I was tempted but the prices and the practise is insane. Thankfully I got one but there really needs to be a better way to stop this practise

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just wait till after the new year to get one? I personally don't even want to order one online unless it's for store pick up because I am scared of all the delivery stories. I was awake when Kohl's had the bundles up, added to my cart and then I said fuck it and emptied my cart and went to sleep. I can wait till they are in stores plus MY PC and Switch are fine for me right now.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look, no matter how much you want one, don't support that shit. People scalp, because people fall for it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You paid £800 to play 99% games that are currently available on other systems you own and, what, Demon's Souls?

Holy shit. That's mind boggling. The truly hilarious part would be if OP didn't even care about Demon's Souls lol

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Not even gonna lie. My brother and I both pre-ordered a PS5, with the only intention of getting it for personal use.
Seeing the insane prices right now, we decided to put em up for sale and both got a 1000 bucks offer. We both accepted the offer. I'll just keep using my ps4 for now.
Some people just have more than enough money and not enough time. Not everyone wants to spam F5 all day, trying to buy a toy.

Not saying I support scalping, but when I'm in a position where I own an item that's worth double the retail value, then I'll just sell..

Something similar with me.
I only ordered one for myself, was so anxious whether I would receive it or not. Over the moon when I got it Friday evening.

Next day work asked me if I could work some other extra days the coming month, which would limit my gaming time obv.
So was curious how much id get for selling it. Started out as a joke thing, but the same day I sold it for €900...
The dude had already bought 2, this was the third. He was gifting it to his niece and nephews.

Like it may sound stupid, but at this point if I kept it I would feel like I myself paid 900 instead of 500 lol. I can wait till Christmas 😅 at least I hope I can get one by then. Surely must be some stock for holiday period. Heard some rumours about stock in early December.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'd pay 600€ without hesitation if tomorrow i'd have a PS5 in my house.

But fuck scalpers, they might be one of the reasons i still haven't got one.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
No.

I was tempted but the prices and the practise is insane. Thankfully I got one but there really needs to be a better way to stop this practise
Hopefully the next consoles have more stocks in store. So long as it's online only, we will be at the mercy of bots and people buying multiple times, crashing websites, cancelled pre-orders etc...

I understand because of covid everything is online, but online is way worse than in-store and they should also do away with pre-orders, in my opinion. Have like a stock of 100 at a store, first 100 people get one

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Those are two random announcements from an italian site where ppl sells their stuff privately:

Cattura.png

Cattura2.png

there are dozens of announcements like this, it's sickening, fuck them indeed.
God why won't sites do something about these pieces of human trash, nobody should have that many ps5's unless they used illegal bots to bypass stores one per customer rule. And they are now selling them at twice to 4 times it's original price.

Why won't online sellers do something about this? Currently amazon is the only one who won't allow 3rd party seller ps5's to be sold on their site. The other sites should follow suit at least until they have stock so scalpers can't do this.

I don't feel like the vitriol people have for scalpers and purchasers of scalped consoles is proportional to the damage they cause.
The problem it is proportional to the damage they can cause. We had a scalper earlier who tried scalp hand sanitizer during this pandemic. While it may not look the same on a moral level sanitizer was a needed item and consoles are not, they are the same to scalpers, as they are desired item that would sellout and they saw an opportunity to make a quick buck. They know they are taking advantage of people who desire such items but they don't care. At least companies took a stand against that sanitizer scalper. Unfortunately the only company taking a stand against ps5 and xbox series x scalpers is amazon, meaning these shitty people will continue to do this shitty practice because they can get away with it 99% of the time.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Hopefully the next consoles have more stocks in store. So long as it's online only, we will be at the mercy of bots and people buying multiple times, crashing websites, cancelled pre-orders etc...

I understand because of covid everything is online, but online is way worse than in-store and they should also do away with pre-orders, in my opinion. Have like a stock of 100 at a store, first 100 people get one

Oh yeah, COVID is a massive factor seemingly production wise and the lack of stores. Usually I would be able to walk into my local game and be able to get a console even on launch day, but it being online just puts people at the mercy of bots

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, waiting 3-6 months until they are more easily available and more games hopefully I'm interested in drop, then I'll get one. Same with Xbox Series X. I have a great PC to play on until then so I'm set.

Arenesus

Jan 30, 2018
I know if I really want something and I want it now I'd do the same as you OP.

Scalpers are a problem, but something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

If you're happy OP then good for you, enjoy!

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never. Scalpers are scum and I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. All they have done is drive drmand even higher and set the most ridiculous prices. Retailers allowing people to buy dozens of them is ridiculous. I'll wait until stores open again and I can walk in and buy one. The battle online is futile for the most part.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I guess I'm glad some people have enough money to throw like that but all you did was to support that practice, buying something that will be manfactured for at least the next 7 years, probably a cheaper and better version down the line and getting it day one when there is nothing worth playing yet.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Thieves and scalpers are just people trying to make a dollar. Whatever. It's too much effort and risk for me, so I guess in fortunate. But privileged, entitled jerks who buy these aftermarket consoles at escalated prices are the ones who cause the problem. Boo hoo, you're too rich and important to wait like everybody else. Absolute scumbags.

Wow.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Some local store here already selling PS5 for around $US1200.
Official launch will be end of January though....

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably going to buy from a scalper.

Having a launch window console is always part of the next-gen experience for me. That excitement of having the system early and getting to experience all of the games alongside their release. To take part in their release discussions and whatnot, it's worth the markup for me.

I do think scalping is amoral, and I get that purchasing them feeds into that, but I do feel that the hatred that people feel towards scalpers is disproportionate to the harm that they are actually causing. They're raising the price of some launch systems... really, so what?

If we're going to blast someone for buying one of these consoles on poor ethical grounds, then the consoles themselves are literally manufactured by people who are mistreated. The manufacturing conditions at Sony, Nintendo's and Microsoft's factories are poor. Scalpers are annoying, but the item they're holding over you is an item of pure leisure. The PS5 is pretty high up on maslow need heirachy, no one is truly suffering without it.

And that's why the scalping business will continue.

Everyone needs to stop enabling them or screw them around by bidding and then backing out.

I think it's naive to think that the 'scalping business' will somehow cease to continue if we advocate against making these purchases. The scalping market exists because of the fundamentals of free market capitalism (and the poorly designed websites, that allow one person to take all the preorders).

You might be able to kill the markup price with less people interested, but so long as the product is unavailable there will be a desire to attain it that cannot be fulfilled. This is a supply and demand problem that scalpers were able to take advantage of because of how the goods are sold.

No matter what you tell people on a forum, or wherever else, that consumer demand isn't going to go away. It's reflected by the sheer fact that the product sold out, to begin with. Less demand would lead to lower prices, but there would still be a massive number of resellers so long as the manufacturer cannot supply their demand.

Personally I think that pre-orders should have been first offered to people with active PSN accounts, and then the general public. I don't know if that would cause other issues but I have friends who are on PSN every day, spend thousands on PS games every year, and they cannot acquire a system. How it was all handled seems silly to me.

Last edited:

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
eBay (at least in Canada) is doing scalpers a solid this weekend by offering no selling fees on all game console listings. They normally take like 10% of the sale price.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, in fact I had a spare PS5 preorder that I made sure to sell at msrp. However, I won't judge anyone who wasn't able to get one and decided to pay extra

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Thieves and scalpers are just people trying to make a dollar. Whatever. It's too much effort and risk for me, so I guess in fortunate. But privileged, entitled jerks who buy these aftermarket consoles at escalated prices are the ones who cause the problem. Boo hoo, you're too rich and important to wait like everybody else. Absolute scumbags.
wat, so thieves and scalpers are just poor souls trying to get some food money, scalpers are usually people with already a good bunch of money who want to make more from suckers, it is a bad practice from everyone involved. But that is how our market works, I just hope people who support it selling / buying aren't the ones later complaining about it.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to buy anything from Scalpers even if it means I'll never get it any other way.

Nov 29, 2018
I've seriously thought about it...
Checking Kijiji in my area every now and then and most are going for like $1100 CAD.
I can afford it, but fuck I just can't pay that much of a premium.
PS5 is a hot fucking item this year and I've already resigned myself to probably not getting one until next year. =(
That said, I'll survive lol

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All I see on my Twitter feed is endless alerts for retailers dropping more PS5s on their sites. I've had like half a dozen real chances to get one the last few days and I'm not even looking in earnest, put in some effort.

-someone who got a 3080

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I just paid £800 for one just there. I feel very stupid but I just couldn't be patient for some reason. Honestly these scalpers suck. Did anyone else buy one from a scalper?
Congratulations, you just enabled them. I mean, more power to you if you are insanely rich, but 350 pounds to play a remake and / or a four-hour game a few months earlier is pretty much insane from my perspective, unless you are really rich and need not care.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
Just be patient and wait until spring (or next holiday for Xmas bundles like what I plan to do). If I do manage to secure one from now to the end of the year, I'm flipping that shit to suckers like u for obscene amounts of money

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I did. At this point in my life it made more sense to spend an extra $300 than to continually spend time refreshing websites and to distract from my responsibilities. Plus, my spouse hates when I become super hyperfocused on something (i.e. need to get a PS5) and would rather I just resolve it quickly if possible.

This is actually one of the things where my views are surprisingly pro capitalism. I can't begrudge someone hustling if that person isn't doing something illegal to obtain the items.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on your PS5 OP.

If you have the money, and you feel like paying extra for earlier access to the console is worth it to you, i hope you enjoy your time!

And smh at some of the posts in this thread. Oof.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never pay for a system above RRP unless it was some sort of bundle with extra items that I could resell. £800 is insane when the system is £450. I'd just wait.

As it so happens, I've been a victim of scalpers for something I really want - the Ryzen 7 5800X. I tried to buy it on launch day but fucking bots snatched up all the orders and now I'm in some pre-order queue for god-knows how long. Meanwhile, some asshats are selling them with £100 or more markup on RRP on eBay. Absolute scum. Even so, they're not getting a single penny from me.

Given that scalping is only getting worse, if I were a manufacturer I'd run some sort of centralised pre-order system that operates on a lottery and gives out coupons for different stores that allows you to purchase the system. I'm not sure exactly how it'd work in detail, but I'd quite like to see some sort of identification verification (like an active card check that allows one pre-order per address), and the pre-order system runs for a week or two at which point everyone is allocated a purchase wave at random. I don't think first come first serve is a fair way of doing things when people have to work when these orders go live, or are beaten to checkout by bots who can do things infinitely faster than a human, especially when traffic grinds the online stores to a halt.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Not sure what replies you expected here, but yeah supporting scalpers will ensure this practice continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.