• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

I bought Final Fantasy XIV Complete Edition two days ago from them and I've yet to be able to download/use the code which they should provide almost instantly after the transaction is completed.

After clicking the 'download' button on their email, second after completing the transaction. It greeted me with the below message.

Final Fantasy XIV 14 Online Complete Edition Inc. Shadowbringers PC

As part of our standard security measures, your order has been selected to for an additional review. This means our customer service agents need to quickly check your order.

Don't worry - you don't need to do anything at this point, but this will take approximately 30 minutes for us to process.

Please check back and click the link in your order email again later when your order will be available.

In the event that any further security checks are required, our customer support team will email you directly.

Otherwise please hold tight – we'll have your order with you as soon as we can.

-It's been more than 35 hours as of now.
-I emailed their support three times and opened a support ticket in the span of the first 24 hours, no answer
-After 27 hours, I opened a Paypal dispute since I got no answer, ironically before opening it, it says to contact them instead and should have an answer within 2 hours. No answer there either.
-I opened a second ticket with their support this morning, hoping it falls into better hands, no answer either.

I'm looking at their Twitter feed right now and most comments seem to be people pissed that they aren't getting their codes and not getting replies from them.

So my question is, did you buy from them recently? How did things went?

I bought MKXL on Steam from them a few months ago which had a similar review going for it, but it ended up working something like 3-4 hours later, now we're talking about days, which is unacceptable from the kind of service they offer, let alone the absolute silence from their support. From what I know, this is considered as a legitimate supplier, so this behavior stands out as odd...

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
" which is unacceptable from the kind of service they offer "

This is exactly the kind of service they offer. Don't buy keys from shady second hand key retailers.

EDIT: My apologies, everyone. Jumped the gun here with regards to CDKeys, in a way I shouldn't have. Not an appropriate way to comment on something like this. I hope it gets sorted for you, OP.

Last edited:

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I bought Tekken 7 from them a couple of weeks ago and got it fine within a minute or two. Maybe they are just having some issues internally?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. I've had minor delays in the past, but I think it was usually like under an hour. Hopefully it gets sorted soon, I've always had good service from them. Cheers for the heads up.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
From what I know, this is considered as a legitimate supplier, so this behavior stands out as odd...
It's one of the better grey market suppliers, but no, it's not an official supplier at all.

I haven't bought anything from them recently, but the one time I had to contact their support was like pulling teeth (it eventually got resolved, but their support literally could not understand what I was telling them because they are as dumb as a doorknob and it took a week+), so good luck

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used them a few times and they were mostly okay, until I tried to preorder Valkyria Chronicles 4. They listed their keys as "global", but when I received mine on release day, it was a region-locked EU key. They blamed the publisher, of course, but I haven't done business with them since.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought from them a few times, haven't had an issue like this personally. But whenever I've had to, their customer service was pretty quick to respond.

Hopefully your issue gets solved quickly, OP.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I bought a PSN Top Up Card from them last month to buy The Outer Worlds a little cheaper but it worked fine. Email came right away and the code was there to us.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I bought a Code Vein Steam key from them last week with no issue. But in light of this issue I shall not use them again until it's sorted. Thanks for the heads up.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've only ever had minor delays, mostly with pre-orders through them. Otherwise my experience with CDKeys has been excellent.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I bought Jedi Fallen Order the day before release from them, I received the code within 2 minutes of placing the order and redeemed it straight away with no issues.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I've never had an issue with them personally. Always got my key with no fuss.

I'm sad that their Now TV passes have been more expensive for the last few months though. :(

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Had no problems with them. Bought plenty of Xbox points. And I pre-ordered Xbox Jedi Fallen Order with no issues.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Contact their support if needed. They have probably some of the fastest and positive support teams when it comes to stuff like this.

I remember pre-ordering Resident Evil 0 HD from them a few years ago and then I wanted a refund like a day before the game dropped. They gave me back both my money and I still gave me a code for the game still. Probably a mistake on their end. But what I mean to say is. Their support has been really good for a company who's kinda in the grey market for product keys.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't say recently but i also i bought a key for shadowbringer CE from them in july and had no issues then.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Only tangentially related but Square is having a sale at the end of the week(thursday iirc) and ShB will be on sale then, I think 50% off. Complete edition too. So you can just buy it from there, prices should be similar not sure.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always got my keys from them. But at the same time, despite it showing on the product page I've never once got the pre-order bonuses for anything that had them.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a regular customer this is disappointing to hear. The "additional review" excuse sounds like BS to me. My guess is they didn't have any codes left and are fobbing you off until they get more in. They're normally quick to respind to enquiries.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought from them recently but I have nought many PSN, XBL cards & PSN Plus/XBLG over the years. had a few times where I've been asked for security stuff when I've made high purchase amounts and sent them a message to say what's up and they sorted rapidly.

Never bought games specifically but their store and service has been pretty good for me for years. I hope it gets sorted for you too OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, you're aware that you bought an EU locked copy of the game, right? Even though you live in NA? Just making sure you know what you're getting into re: FFXIV region locks.

My friend bought this one a while ago and plays without issue.

Only difference is that his sub is billed in Euros, which comes out at lesser total than what we pay in NA.

Make sure you check your spam email folder, I've had orders from them end up there.

Checked it plenty in the last two days to no avail.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I've never been able to buy anything off them for the past 3 years. 3 different banks, nothing. I did finally open a PayPal but now I'm a bit skeptical about buying anything there.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
My friend bought this one a while ago and plays without issue.

Only difference is that his sub is billed in Euros, which comes out at lesser total than what we pay in NA.
Yes, that's correct. You can play on any server regardless of account region, you just have to have a payment method that works in Europe/can be billed in Euros. Just wanted to make sure you knew that ahead of time, since SE themselves is gonna be selling NA keys for 50% off starting Thursday, so if the billing stuff was going to be an issue, I'd tell you to cancel this and buy there. Also, some promotional stuff differs by region, don't know if you care about that. Also, I'd imagine you'd have to deal with SE EU for any account issues

Last edited:

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
They listed their keys as "global", but when I received mine on release day, it was a region-locked EU key.
Also, you're aware that you bought an EU locked copy of the game, right? Even though you live in NA? Just making sure you know what you're getting into re: FFXIV region locks.
Had this happen with WWE 2k19. They said the keys were global, but mine ended up being an EU copy for Steam. I got a refund and later bought the game via Steam.

PhotogDoug

Nov 10, 2017
Dayton, OH
I've had no issues with ordering from them over the past couple years and 10+ purchases.

I had an issue where I accidentally purchased an incorrect region key for a game I wanted recently. When I emailed support they were a bit slow to respond (1-2 days) but they did actually surprisingly give me a refund for the order and my mistake.

I didn't expect a refund considering it was my own fault and inability to read. It was a nice touch.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've never experienced an issue with them until about a month ago.

I ordered Just Cause 4, and received my email to get my key. I had to enter my cell phone number to verify it was me, and did so. Then I waited and never received a verification number. I tried a couple more times, with nothing happening.
I was finally locked out and had to contact them. They refunded me the purchase and I haven't bought anything since.

Honestly, their prices haven't been as good as they used to be. Maybe for a couple items, but most of their games can be bought for cheaper at other sites during sales.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Exact same thing happened to me with the exact same product, but I've been a customer for probably 6-7 years at this point. My guess is it's an issue with this particular product.

Mozar

Oct 4, 2019
I bought a few key there and never had any problems, maybe they have some problems or they don't have the keys for this game right now? patience, they will definitely write back

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I believe I had that the first time I ever used them, and they did get right back to me. Never had it since and used them 100's of times.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
As a regular customer this is disappointing to hear. The "additional review" excuse sounds like BS to me. My guess is they didn't have any codes left and are fobbing you off until they get more in.
I don't know -- I've had this happen too a few years ago, and I thought it's some kind of anti-fraud system, possibly triggered by an unusual login / location or an email / Paypal mismatch. That said, it obviously shouldn't take more than a few hours to resolve.

Never had any issues otherwise, same for Instant-Gaming.

Oct 31, 2017
Among the "grey market" key sellers CDKeys is arguably the most reputable around.
I haven't heard a single case of anyone actually being scammed by them in years of using it consistently.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's correct. You can play on any server regardless of account region, you just have to have a payment method that works in Europe/can be billed in Euros. Just wanted to make sure you knew that ahead of time, since SE themselves is gonna be selling NA keys for 50% off starting Thursday, so if the billing stuff was going to be an issue, I'd tell you to cancel this and buy there. Also, some promotional stuff differs by region, don't know if you care about that. Also, I'd imagine you'd have to deal with SE EU for any account issues

Oh, yeah, those shouldn't be issues for me, thanks for the heads-up though, I appreciate!

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longest I ever had to wait was 10 minutes and even then that was only once. Every other time its like a minute tops

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I've bought a maybe two dozen keys from them and never had an issue. I did buy a wrong region once back when their website wasn't as clear about that kind of thing. Their customer service was helpful and responsive.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
As a CS Rep of another company: this transaction is probably on what's called 'fraud hold' and those are triggered by either you using different browser/device/card than usual, if you haven't bought anything in a long time or just randomly. It isn't anything to worry about but it needs to be processed by their Fraud Team and released or cancelled. I doubt it would be to cover the fact that they are out of keys, but you never know. Regarding them not responding back - we are slowly approaching pre-christmas season so they may have some backlog of tickets that they need to get through before reaching out to you; also, I'm sure they are not ignoring you on purpose (employees have KPIs to meet so it wouldn't benefit anyone). Final note: opening dispute with PayPal ALWAYS prolongs the process and in general is not worth it unless you are 100% positive that you are victim of some kind of scam.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a CS Rep of another company: this transaction is probably on what's called 'fraud hold' and those are triggered by either you using different browser/device/card than usual, if you haven't bought anything in a long time or just randomly. It isn't anything to worry about but it needs to be processed by their Fraud Team and released or cancelled. I doubt it would be to cover the fact that they are out of keys, but you never know. Regarding them not responding back - we are slowly approaching pre-christmas season so they may have some backlog of tickets that they need to get through before reaching out to you; also, I'm sure they are not ignoring you on purpose (employees have KPIs to meet so it wouldn't benefit anyone). Final note: opening dispute with PayPal ALWAYS prolongs the process and in general is not worth it unless you are 100% positive that you are victim of some kind of scam.

I get what you mean as a CSR myself, though part of my job indicates that I must deliver an answer to any email within 24 hours. IDK if it's similar for them, but still, 35+ hours is weird considering they advertise responses from support within 2 hours.

As for the Paypal dispute, I don't really care how it ends up at this point, if I get refunded I will simply buy from another supplier, may it be more expensive, I don't intend to do business there in the future anyways, after this experience.