• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which FPS was better?

• Goldeneye 007

Votes: 176 30.1%
  • Perfect Dark

Votes: 408 69.9%

• Total voters

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Goldenberg is like to console FPS what the Beatles are to music. Without it Perfect Dark probably wouldn't have been made but Perfect Dark makes better music.

Multiplayer challenges were epic. The weapons were so cool. It's just a better game. That being said I will always love Goldeneye.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved GoldenEye 007, I played the hell out of it too, but Perfect Dark was an absolute masterpiece and better in every way. Specially the XBLA port (1080p/60fps).

- Combat Simulator with a limited "create-a-character"
- 30+ Challenges
- Counter Co-Op (let's you play the campaign as one of the bad guys against your friends)
- Co-op Campaign
- Alternate mission design based on the difficulty you play. (for example that mission in the villa, depending on the difficulty level you either start as the negotiator or a sniper defending the negotiator)
- Amazing set of weapons (FarSight - campers dream/nightmare, Laptop Gun - machine gun that would transform into a sentry turrent, BombSpy - camera that would detonate remotely) and so much more.
- Classic Goldeneye Weapons
- Small free roam area with a gun range

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a day 1 Goldeneye 007 remaster, but Perfect Dark was superior in every way.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the soundtrack of Goldeneye, but Perfect Dark was surely the better game.

Goldeneye is my personal favorite of the two, though. It hit at the perfect age where I was having sleepovers with friends all the time and we would stay up all night playing split-screen. By time Perfect Dark came out I wasn't doing that anymore, so I certainly didn't have quite the same experience with it.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I liked Goldeneye because it had a better control scheme called Solitaire. I have absolutely no idea why they didn't have that control layout in PD, but it ruined PD for me bc of it. Solitaire was the best FPS layout for n64 imo.
I'm pretty sure Perfect Dark has the exact same set of control schemes as Goldeneye. The one you're talking about is the one I used, in both games.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the trash frame rate, PD is better in just about every way. What they were able to cram onto that fucking 16 megabyte cartridge is completely fucking bonkers. The depth of content in the game is immense. I remember thinking that games after that would only get better, and yet very few console FPS games that followed could touch the amount of content in Perfect Dark.

Perfect Dark could have been a massive, massive franchise if Rare had played their cards better after the original came out.
It's really odd, so half the team left mid way, which didn't hurt the game too much as it still met the lofty expectations of the public but it took a lot out of the team who didn't want to return to another FPS. Also, PD didn't sell well at all compared to Goldeneye. Effectively the price paid to create this masterpiece.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i mean back in the day it was pretty unanimous that people thought PD was better in nearly every way outside of the 'bond' license. but I guess it makes sense theres some debate now because goldeneye is the one far more talked about of the two

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to add my voice to the overwhelming consensus. Goldeneye was great, PD was greater.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I sank considerably more time into single player and multiplayer goldeneye than Perfect Dark. Probably 4 or 5 times the amount. Didn't have game timers or anything back then but wouldn't be surprised if I played around 500 hours of GE.

I beat Perfect Dark and remember very little of it and my family/friends didn't bite into multiplayer like we did with GE. I'm not doubting PD is superior in almost all facets (it was a spiritual sequel after all). But GE has tons of memories that stick with me 20 years later and I have almost zero memories of Perfect Dark.

Nov 4, 2017
Goldeneye was the excellent tech demo we needed in order to get the vastly superior Perfect Dark, much like OoT -> MM or Dark Souls -> Bloodborne.

*Raises flame-resistant asbestos shield*

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
On paper PD is better, and it is certainly a great game, but in practice it feels like it's missing something compared to GE. Like the relative simplicity of GE works in it's favor, or something. Bigger isn't always better.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I won't vote because I haven't played Perfect Dark, but I'll take everyone's word on it. Mainly because Rare. I just remember it being advanced, tech wise. (I might be thinking of the Xbox version)

That being said, I just LOVED Goldeneye. Before I got my own N64, whenever I got to play it at my cousins.. it was just a totally different experience than what I was used to on PlayStation (until other FPS games released).... Graphics were great...little details... the animation... the missions.....just the overall atmosphere.... man.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
For me it's hard to say. I prefer the "modern" setting and single player campaign in GoldenEye. Perfect Dark on the other hand was technically superior and had the better multiplayer due to the addition of bots.

Funny enough, I have the same issue with Perfect Dark as I do Crysis: the aliens. Both Perfect Dark and Crysis were at it's best when you were fighting other humans. Both dropped off when you swapped the humans for alien creatures.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my friends never got into the multiplayer the way we did Golden Eye, so I just don't remember it as fondly. I finished the single player and never played it again

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's hard to say. I prefer the "modern" setting and single player campaign in GoldenEye. Perfect Dark on the other hand was technically superior and had the better multiplayer due to the addition of bots.

Funny enough, I have the same issue with Perfect Dark as I do Crysis: the aliens. Both Perfect Dark and Crysis were at it's best when you were fighting other humans. Both dropped off when you swapped the humans for alien creatures.
I was just gonna make a post about how I prefer Goldeneye's more grounded setting to the weird alien shit of Perfect Dark, but there ya go.

I was not an Elvis fan. :p

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye is amazing but Perfect Dark is the best first person shooter to not have "Prime" or "Halo" in the title.

Apr 25, 2020
Yes, Perfect Dark was Rare taking what they learned with Goldeneye and perfecting it into a new IP.

Perfect Dark was a singular moment in the history of FPS. It changed everything.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I loved GoldenEye...but as soon as Perfect Dark came out, it blew it out of the park and I couldn't go back.

It was really hard for me to play GE again, it felt so less polished, less interesting...

GE was the foundation and PD built upon it to transform the FPS genre forever.

Just my 2 cents.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i remember this was the consensus before nostalgia started twisting things. almost every publication called PD a better game than GE at the time.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Goldeneye is a good bond movie so that went a long way in making the game appealing. I never really liked the PD setting as much, especially after they started introducing shit like Air Force One and the alien who looks like the stereotypical big head grey alien but he speaks like Yoda.

Most of the new multiplayer shit ie. bots in PD were way too fucking laggy to be meaningful too.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Very much so. I personally loved the weapon variety and mulitplayer options way more than Golden Eye. Not to mention it included a lot of golden levels and even some weapons as well. It basically felt like a goldeneye sequel without the goldeneye license.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well shit, looks like I'm not alone.

Goldeneye 007 definitely has more cultural clout, or something. It seems to be a lot more well known among mainstream circles.

Goldeneye has more cultural clout because it came first and it was a watershed moment in console FPS games. Perfect Dark was definitely better though and that was the consesus at release. It just came later and was largely more of the same but 'more'.

Upon release, Perfect Dark received critical acclaim from video game publications. The most praised aspects of the game were its graphics, artificial intelligence, and number of multiplayer options. Gamespot claimed that, as a console first-person shooter, Perfect Dark is "unparalleled", while IGN journalist Matt Casamassina remarked that its extensive features set the game apart from its peers. Similarly, N64 Magazine described Perfect Dark as "dauntingly huge", stating that it "takes everything that made its predecessor such an enduring favourite and does it bigger, better and more often. Edge concluded that, although the game fails to be as revolutionary as its predecessor, it refines its "phenomenal gameplay while massively developing its multiplayer components." Nintendo Power editors called the game "undeniably a work of art", suspenseful, "more compelling than most action movies and much deeper than any video game of its type."

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely! I regularly played the N64 version up until the XBLA remaster. I mean, even my username is one of the simulants from the game. It's in a 3 way tie for my favorite game ever made.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark improved some areas so on its own I get why people consider it the better one but I found it to be a huge disappointment. It was years after Goldeneye, supported the RAM cart, and still ran like a slide show. I hated myself for believing reviews of console-centric gamers and buying it day one. Goldeneye is overrated but it still felt pretty fresh for its time even as a big PC FPS fan. But with all the advancements since '97, I expected much more from its follow up. I enjoyed PD more later on with the 360 version; there's a great game in there when the technical issues are removed.

I wouldn't even say these two games were untouchable for single player console FPS back then. Powerslave on SS and Medal of Honor on PS1 were really good.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I never had the expac so couldn't play the campaign and I remember being really pissed about it. I was gifted the game and wasn't aware of this until I tried to find it...

The MP was godlike, though, and was even better than golden eye which was already amazing.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
By far the better Multiplayer FPS, but i enjoyed the Goldeneye Campaign better. I remember back in primary-school watching VHS tapes of someone playing Goldeneye (the lets play of the 90's) and was amazed by how a game could look that good. 2D>3D jump was insane.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I never had the chance the play Perfect Dark on the n64. We had Goldeneye though and I was hooked to that game. Played a lot of 4 player multiplayer there and even went through all the trouble to unlock all the single player cheats.

Played Perfect Dark on my One X and I just didn't have as good of a time with it for some reason. Maybe because I was just younger back then and fascinated by the n64.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
+1 to Perfect Dark primarily due to amazing weapon variety and (mostly) doing away with infinitely spawning enemies.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
PD definitely improved upon what they did with GE but I still find myself going back to visit GE more than PD. While PD might technically be the 'better' game, it's not the one I want to play more than the other when I fire up my N64.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Perfect Dark was a frustrating game experience for me. Even with the N64 RAM pack, the framerate (especially towards the end of the game) chugged so badly that it was really distracting from all the other strengths and polish they'd applied to it.

Performance issues aside, it was head and shoulders above Goldeneye though