• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Not at all. There are some DLC tracks I don't like (Cheese Land comes to mind), but the vast majority of them are great to excellent. Wild Woods is probably my favorite course in the whole game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing disappointing about the DLC is that there hasn't been any new additions since these came out for the WiiU. It was a joy to get those then. I wish they would just make a game called Mario Kart and just keep adding to it over time.
Unfortunately, that's Mario Kart Tour, and I hate it too.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'd say the DLC tracks are probably the best cups in the series.

Truly a peak for game design in racing games.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I would never say something related to Animal Crossing is beautiful. I honestly can't remember what the name of the course was. Maple Treeway?
Maple Treeway isn't in MK8. It's in MKWii and MK7. The Animal Crossing course has 4 seasonal versions, one of which being autumn, of course.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the DLCs were legit great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maple Treeway isn't in MK8. It's in MKWii and MK7. The Animal Crossing course has 4 seasonal versions, one of which being autumn, of course.

That would explain why I remember it so specifically, if it was in two completely distinct MK entries.

I really should get MK8 Deluxe at some point...I haven't played Mario Kart since I had my Wii U plugged in, and it's been a while.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only one that I didn't like was the snow one, otherwise they were wonderful and among my favorites in the game.

Tokikko

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, I definitely remember it always being the same in the original, and I thought it was the same in Deluxe, but maybe I'm misremembering or they patched it at some point? It has admittedly been quite a while since the last time I played MK8D online. Maybe I need to load the game up again and find out :o
This track is unique in the fact that the track changes every time a race starts. There are many different segments with jumps, ramps and mud spots that change position and height; according to Mario Kart 8 director Kosuke Yabuki, there are over 200 different patterns of such elements.[1] A standard pattern is used on time trials.
Quote from wikipedia, the shapes itself is the same.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. They're some of my favorite tracks in the game. Like, I love what they did with Ribbon Road, for instance, and just how many neat touches were put into it all over the place. Whereas on the other hand I definitely don't have anything particularly bad to say about any of them in any case.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I definitely remember it always being the same in the original, and I thought it was the same in Deluxe, but maybe I'm misremembering or they patched it at some point? It has admittedly been quite a while since the last time I played MK8D online. Maybe I need to load the game up again and find out :o

I played like quite a lot during MK8 DLC but spend like average hours into MK8D so I think it usually random but few time I actually got same layout in row so it's probably it.

I think the best designed tracks are the two GBA remakes, Cheese Land and Ribbon Road. Those are beyond impressive from a design and musical standpoint. They're so distinct that it's impossible to recognize them as once being GBA courses.

I love those tracks. Same for all tracks. Essentially Xenoblade track.

I dislike Dragon and Neo Bowser City in 200cc tho.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like outpost because it's a bit on the harder side.
I don't like it because it just feels like you're going straight the whole time with very little distraction plus ice physics. Obviously, it curves about, so it's not straight driving. It's just very narrow and closed in with nothing happening, and that's boring to me.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The opposite, a lot of them are some of my favorite courses. Wild Woods, Dragon Driftway, SNES Rainbow Road, Ice Ice Outpost, etc.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This track is unique in the fact that the track changes every time a race starts. There are many different segments with jumps, ramps and mud spots that change position and height; according to Mario Kart 8 director Kosuke Yabuki, there are over 200 different patterns of such elements.[1] A standard pattern is used on time trials.
I guess the changes are so subtle most of the time that it's hard to notice, but I always found it frustrating to play on sometimes anyway because of all the ramps. I also haven't played the game in years, so my opinions are a little hazy.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only subpar one is Excitebike Arena and that gets a pass because the idea is at least neat even if the execution is rough. Big Blue, Super Bell Subway, Dragon Driftway, Ice Ice Outpost, Ribbon Road, and Wild Woods are easily some of the best courses ever to appear in a Mario Kart game.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Wild Woods is the best track in the game, the crossover tracks are all fantastic, and Ribbon Road is an incredible update.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most of them are great.

Weirdly, the Zelda track was garbage. Literally the only thing going for it is it has a Zelda skin.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I found the Dragon level to be the most disappointing, I guess. The aesthetics, the non-track features, probably the most disappointing of them all.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I dislike Dragon and Neo Bowser City in 200cc tho.
Neo Bowser City on 200cc was the hardest to master because of that one hard turn near the end that will drop you off the course, which is worsened by the fact that it's raining. Once I figured it out, though, I felt like a master. 200cc is great.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best tracks in the whole series. Love the f-serp tracks and dragon raceway(?)! The zelda one is pretty weak aside from the part that its zelda, but they all have something unique to them I think.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Neo Bowser City on 200cc was the hardest to master because of that one hard turn near the end that will drop you off the course, which is worsened by the fact that it's raining. Once I figured it out, though, I felt like a master. 200cc is great.
I managed to master those tracks but I took a long break and it's being pain in ass again :defeated:

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
MK8 DLC tracks are bonkers quality, especially when you consider the original cost for the DLC bundle was $12. That's less than a dollar a track. Nevermind that it also included new kart parts on top of that.

Bonkers!

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I think the best designed tracks are the two GBA remakes, Cheese Land and Ribbon Road. Those are beyond impressive from a design and musical standpoint. They're so distinct that it's impossible to recognize them as once being GBA courses.
Wut. I didn't even realize Ribbon Road is a remake. It's an absolutely incredible track.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know about that, as far as I can recall though it always uses the same exact pattern when playing online, which I think is the same one it uses for Time Trials, and you only see the variations in local multiplayer. Maybe that was changed at some point, either in Deluxe or in a patch afterwards?

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
They're easily some of my favorites from what I remember too. Ribbon Road was a standout, as was Wild Woods. And how can you not love the return of Baby Park!? Haha

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
OP is thankfully in the minority because the DLC stages are awesome. The only two weak tracks are Cheese Land and Ice Ice Outpost.

Wild Woods, Excite Bike, Ribbon Road, Hyrule, Neo Bowser City- these tracks are beautiful, imaginative and exciting. And they were really reasonably priced when they dropped on the Wii U. Oh and those F-Zero tracks are the stuff of dreams.

Nintendo needs to be encouraged for giving us such awesome DLC like this. I want to see more! (Maple Treeway and Daisy Cruise please)

Not at all. There are some DLC tracks I don't like (Cheese Land comes to mind), but the vast majority of them are great to excellent. Wild Woods is probably my favorite course in the whole game.
I agree. I still don't understand why the Cheese Land remake removed the "cheese planet" outer space theme from the GBA original. Did they cut out the little mice too?
latest

latest

Now it's just a desert in broad daylight.
latest

Last edited:

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
They're easily some of my favorites from what I remember too. Ribbon Road was a standout, as was Wild Woods. And how can you not love the return of Baby Park!? Haha

I remember some people were angry with a fact that Baby Park is coming back via announcement and/or leaks.

Baby Park was one of best chaotic track in the history but it's even more dumb in GameCube since it didn't have wall in middle.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah, I thought the DLC tracks were much better than the standard new tracks, many of which I found kinda dull.

The only disappointing one to me is Cheese Land, because they got rid of the inspired lunar theme and made it into a desert.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Baby Park was one of best chaotic track in the history but it's even more dumb in GameCube since it didn't have wall in middle.
That was my problem with Baby Park's return. Sure, it's chaotic, but it's not chaotic enough. It was brought back in both MKDS and MK8, but Double Dash is the only game that fully utilizes it. No wall in the middle, and items and special items flying everywhere!

Tokikko

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I know about that, as far as I can recall though it always uses the same exact pattern when playing online, which I think is the same one it uses for Time Trials, and you only see the variations in local multiplayer. Maybe that was changed at some point, either in Deluxe or in a patch afterwards?
Could be, im not sure. I rarely play that stage and have mostly been playing online. Maybe for online mode its always the same as you have said.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
That was my problem with Baby Park's return. Sure, it's chaotic, but it's not chaotic enough. It was brought back in both MKDS and MK8, but Double Dash is the only game that fully utilizes it. No wall in the middle, and items and special items flying everywhere!

It was pretty chaotic with frantic and 200cc but imagine without the wall.

A1gIGSr.gif

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
They made a disservice to Cheese Cheese Land but other than that they are pretty great.

Overall value of the DLC is insane.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like the Zelda track, and I'm not fond of the GBA track in the bedroom (although that comes from playing it a lot in the day 1 200cc GAF lobbies for the Wii U version and the traumatic experience that that was), but the rest are cool.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Cheese Land may have lost its Cheese Planet aesthetic but I quite like what they went for and love playing the track. It's really technical and difficult to get the perfect line bit very satisfying when you do. Easily my favourite desert course in the series.

Only weak course in the DLCs was Ice Ice Outpost.