• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually an excellent ending but man, it really was a tonal shift from slice of life sitcom into melancholy. The dinosaurs quietly waiting together for their extinction was just sad, especially when they try to comfort the baby. Are there any other examples likes this?
e976bc16b29131da80ae599a9c4845d4.jpg

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
So yeah, kids it turns out I really wanted to bone Aunt Robin all along, though RIP to your mom and stuff.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Alf get abducted by the government and implied that they you know cut him open

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pretty much every series of Blackadder except for the third ends with the cast dying horribly. This culminates in Blackadder Goes Forth, where the show revolves around the main character (a British Army captain serving in the French trenches during WW1) trying to avoid, by any means necessary, being drafted into a suicidal charge on the German front line. In the last episode he runs out of rope and it ends with him leading his unit to certain death.

Yes, this was a comedy. One of Britain's best too.

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much every series of Blackadder except for the third ends with the cast dying horribly. This culminates in Blackadder Goes Forth, where the show revolves around the main character (a British Army captain serving in the French trenches during WW1) trying to avoid, by any means necessary, being drafted into a suicidal charge on the German front line. In the last episode he runs out of rope and it ends with him leading his unit to certain death.

Yes, this was a comedy. One of Britain's best too.

Good choice. Goes Forth is easily the best one imo

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would happen if Sam said fuck it and decided not to correct the timeline?
Whoa, really? I never knew that was how Quantum Leap ended. Fuck this, Ziggy

Sam isn't trapped in time or forced to leap or anything. He willingly chose to continue leaping because his whole character is about helping people.

Dialogue from the final episode:

Bartender:​
Why did you create Project Quantum Leap, Sam?
Sam:​
To travel in time.
Why did you want to travel through time?
Because... I w-w-- I wanted to, um-
To make the world a better place?
Of course. To make the world a better place.
To put right what once went wrong?
Yes. But not one life at a time.
Oh! I got Mother Teresa here.
Do you really think that all you've done is change a few lives?
Basically, yes.
At the risk of overinflating your ego, Sam, you've done more.
The lives you've touched... touched others, and those lives, others.
You've done a lot of good, Sam Beckett, and you can do a lot more.
I don't want to do more. I want to go home.
Then why haven't you?
Because I don't control my future.
You do! Sam, you will only do this as long as you want to.
Are you saying I can leap home anytime I want?
Technically, yes.
What's the catch?
The catch... is that you have to accept that you control your own destiny.

Oct 28, 2017
Sam isn't trapped in time or forced to leap or anything. He willingly chose to continue leaping because his whole character is about helping people.

Dialogue from the final episode:

Why did you create Project Quantum Leap, Sam?
To travel in time.
Why did you want to travel through time?
Because... I w-w-- I wanted to, um-
To make the world a better place?
Of course. To make the world a better place.
To put right what once went wrong?
Yes. But not one life at a time.
Oh! I got Mother Teresa here.
Do you really think that all you've done is change a few lives?
Basically, yes.
At the risk of overinflating your ego, Sam, you've done more.
The lives you've touched... touched others, and those lives, others.
You've done a lot of good, Sam Beckett, and you can do a lot more.
I don't want to do more. I want to go home.
They why haven't you?
Because I don't control my future.
You do! Sam, you will only do this as long as you want to.
Are you saying I can leap home anytime I want?
Technically, yes.
What's the catch?
The catch... is that you have to accept that you control your own destiny.

After some point you've done your bid for Queen and country. Time to go home I say.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Continuum: it was this sci-fi-ish detective show about a cop from the future tracking down a terrorist from the future. The real kick is that in the future, corporations are in control and the terrorists are trying to take them down and the show has this interesting dynamic of she is the good side but really she is the bad side.

They actually got the finish the story but they had to wrap it up quickly.
She was trying to catch the terrorist and return back to her family. She ends up changing the future for the better (no corp conglomerate) but there is another her there since she is from a different timeline so she no longer has access to her family.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Mork and Mindy end up with the two of them in some kind of warp thing?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never saw this as a downer ending. He learned to control it himself and decided to continue helping people.
Hell yeah! The reveal that Sam doesn't just help "one life at a time" but that the people he helps end up having an impact on other people who also have an impact on other people... was mind-blowing to me as a kid

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Alf had a follow up made-for-TV movie that showed him just chilling at Area 51 or something beating the guards at cards or something. That's literally all I remember.

As cold blooded animals, those coats aren't going to help much.
If I'm recalling correctly, I don't think any dinosaur was actually fully ectothermic, even if they weren't unambiguously endothermic.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not serious but sort of a downer. The Young Ones. "Phew, that was close."

Community. I have to rewatch but that one felt like someone's existential crisis.

MASH. Goodbye Farewell and Amen is just a gut punch all round.

So many shows just ended and never got a finale. Or worse, got cancelled after an end of season cliffhanger.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Also I cannot recall the title but there was a sitcom where the actor playing father died suddenly and they actually implemented that into the show turning it into much serious one about grief and then it got cancelled shortly after. My sister told me this but I cannot remember the title.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Maybe if you have limited compassion and altruism. But that's not Sam. Sam is bigger than that.
This. It was literally the whole point of the show: Sam's inexhaustible willingness to help people. Even after anything, anyone else would choose to go home. Sam didn't. Hell, his sabbatical leap was to personally help his best friend.

I repeat: His "selfish" act to change time in a way he saw fit for personal gain was to save his best friend's marriage.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Also I cannot recall the title but there was a sitcom where the actor playing father died suddenly and they actually implemented that into the show turning it into much serious one about grief and then it got cancelled shortly after. My sister told me this but I cannot remember the title.
8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter, John Ritter is the actor.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
That ending always made the most sense though.
I don't really appreciate that the series title became stunt titling, but there is no doubt that the overall arc certainly favored Ted and Robin.

If you think of these as real people though, think about how much of a downer it is to be those kids listening to their dad talk through how he really loved Aunt Robin all along while supposedly telling them about how he met their deceased mother. That's a downer for sure.

Big 'my entire life was a mistake but now that your mom is dead I finally have a chance to be happy pls dont hate me kiddos' vibes.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I think Black Adder Goes Forth is probably the best example. The show is very much a comedy but its ending is very somber in contrast just like Dinosaurs.

The influence of dramatic storytelling within ostensibly comedic works means that these types of things probably won't happen again, once comedies started to have true dramatic stakes, when you were supposed to be emotionally invested in Pam and Jim, or Ted Moseby's lovelife, or whatever, the idea of an ending that was sad isn't so odd. You eventually reach a point where there is stuff like Flowers, which is a beautiful and very sad show about suicide and mental illness, that is incredibly raw and powerful, and it is a half hour comedy.

And it ends on a cliffhanger where Shun walks into the woods to kill himself.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that's 8 Simple Rules. Lead actor John Ritter died.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The ending where Ted married the person who the show illustrated for 9+ seasons as being absolutely toxic and terrible for him did not "make sense"

I will die on this hill

You are wrong

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So yeah, kids it turns out I really wanted to bone Aunt Robin all along, though RIP to your mom and stuff.

IMO this is bittersweet, and fits with the show's theme of life being a mixed bag full of ups and downs you always have to make the most of.

The last season and the ending itself have serious script problems, but thematically I think its only disappointing if you go in expecting a fairytale ending. Ted's life continuing on after a terrible loss is also kind of uplifting in a way?

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
If you consider it a sitcom, MASH ended with a woman smothering her "chicken" to death to hide from enemy soldiers. Later after Hawkeye has a mental breakdown, you find out that he imagined the chicken because he couldn't deal with the fact that the woman actually smothered here own baby.

Last edited:

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
IMO this is bittersweet, and fits with the show's theme of life being a mixed bag full of ups and downs you always have to make the most of.

The last season and the ending itself have serious script problems, but thematically I think its only disappointing if you go in expecting a fairytale ending. Ted's life continuing on after a terrible loss is also kind of uplifting in a way?
I think a better written show could pull off a really touching story, but the writing and execution really failed in the end.