• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Along with therapy. Yes. By "yes" I mean it will get you to a baseline, but will not make you "happy".

Emotional blunting is probably the worst part of some of those ADs.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yes. I was on them as a teenager, and then went off for 10 years, thinking I could overcome it myself. About a year ago, my wife finally made me start seeing someone, and they got me back on them. It has made SUCH a huge change in the last year. I finally feel like myself again.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes, they have helped me reach a place where my baseline mood is less negative and bleak and I feel more able to take on the challenges of the day. But your doctor is right that they are not a magic pill on their own. A lot of my benefit has come from personal counseling and introspection.

Personally I've never experienced the "zombie" effects that some people talk about. Just feels like they help me keep my head above water so I have the energy and wherewithal to do the important work.

Oct 25, 2017
They help me a lot. I don't think they help you feel "happy", they more balances my mood out.

Therapy, exercising, and meditation has helped me tremendously to feel "content" or "happy".

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
So I've been taking antidepressants for almost two years. Prozac was the first one, then Wellbutrin, Effexor XR and now Cymbalta. The thing is that the meds seem to make living manageable, but I still lack happiness, ambition and motivation. My doc says that they aren't a magic pill and I should work on myself, but everything seems so mellow and washed out.

Dunno, maybe I should try new ones or perhaps I've reached peek therapeutical effects and the rest is my hard work? Anyone battling/won with depression? Share your stories, Era.

I think the following is a good model for how to think about happiness in general:

1) Baseline happiness - mostly chemical. Some people wake up in the morning at a 3 or 4 out of 10. Some people get really low and bottom out at like 0 or 1. Some people wake up at a 7 or 8 out of 10. This is chemistry at play- dopamine, GABA, serotonin, oxytocins, endorphins. If you're in the low range then you could benefit greatly from SSRIs to get your baseline up.

It sounds like you've tackled this part.

2) Internal/external influences - generating these chemicals through concerted effort. To do this:

- challenge yourself by learning new things. For me personally this is a big key to my own happiness.
- physical activity. Hitting the gym regularly, HIIT, lifting heaving.
- relaxation strategies like yoga/meditation.
- meaningful relationships.
- diet--getting enough complex carbs, B12, protein, fat.

Doing the above creates a powerful feedback loop--boosts your self esteem, energy, ambition, outlook on life, creates a sense of purpose.

Sounds like you need to develop a strategy for creating feedback loops. Maybe sit down and write out how to tackle each one?

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Yes. They help me quite a bit.

It isn't a cure-all. See a therapist, work on yourself, take the meds, it all goes together.
Yes!
I feel like I've been lucky in that I haven't had any serious side effects and my diagnosis hasn't manifested symptoms where I don't feel like I need medication which is also very common.

Same, OP I'm sorry that medication isn't very effective for you.

The shittiest part of depression is that you can do all the right things and still feel entirely empty.

Hope you find something that makes you feel normal, whether it be Underwater Basket Weaving or taking pictures of your pets and posting it on social media. Best of luck

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They worked but as others have said, they did so by making me feel like all of my emotions were zeroed out, including the positive ones.

As someone else noted, I was seeking treatment from a psychiatrist and doing the whole round of support for treating my depression. I don't think the medication would have helped me long term—it was just the short term preventative from slipping further while my psychiatrist and I grappled with my underlying psychological issues.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Mirtazapin for close to 7 years. Helped a ton with sleep and anxiety, been off them for close to 4 years now, full recovery.

At the same time: this is not actually how they're designed to work. Typical depressions last between 6 and 12 months and antidepressants are designed to counter their symptoms until they resolve themselves. Even without therapy. People who don't experience significant improvement on antidepressant or who experience depressive symptoms for over a year are supposed to switch treatment and/or re-evaluate their diagnosis.

In retrospect, I think my depression was kept fueled by external factors in my social life. So while the meds helped, they didn't solve anything on their own. My depression resolved when those external factors resolved. I suspect this is the case for most people who don't respond well to treatment or who, like me, get stuck in prolonged depressive episodes. The problem obviously being that external factors aren't always easily resolved.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Yes. I took 5 different antidepressants before the one I currently take (Desvenlafaxine) and it doesn't make me happy, but it def has made my baseline mood infinitely better. Seriously, I'm a huge believer in antidepressants now.

The withdrawal symptoms are brutal though and the process of finding the antidepressant that worked for me was not fun as the others I tried made my depression worse or had no effect at all.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As someone on citralopram, yes. The difference is really fucking noticeable.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Prozac gave me the space in my head I needed to both plan & enact the other changes I needed to make to get me through. I took it in conjunction with 18mths of therapy.

The two go together for me - the drugs to mitigate the worst effects of the depression; therapy to talk through stuff & arrive at coping/healing strategies; through the mitigation effects, being able to implement those actions.

So yeah, worked for me.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
They've noticeably helped my wife a lot. Just taking the pills isn't a cure for depression for most people though, it's simply the initial push to get you to where you can start to climb to a better place. Before taking antidepressants my wife barely could get out of bed every day, she never felt motivated to do anything, and experienced suicidal ideation almost constantly. It's very difficult to start to manage your mental health in a state like that; for her it's like a walking comatose. Once she got on the right dosage for her medication her world started to feel more manageable and she was able to start regularly going to therapy, working out and going to fitness classes, hanging out with friends, etc etc. She's not "cured", but she's made a lot more strides with them than she ever was making without them. If you're taking antidepressants and not doing anything else to better your mental well-being though, it usually just going to cap out at feeling kind of blank.
This is pretty much exactly my experience with my wife. They are an extremely valuable tool in helping people to be better equipped to tackle the other issues they face so they can get deal with the depression.

I believe they actually have genetic tests you can have done that will give doctors a better idea of which meds are more and less likely to work for you. My wife had to go to a mental care facility for a month where they ended up doing these tests for her and it helped them find her current effective meds quite quickly. If you're afraid of experimenting endlessly and are able to have the tests done (unsure of their cost, unfortunately), I would definitely recommend considering this option.

EDIT: generic -> genetic, very bad typo on my part.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Saint johns wort worked for me. I just eventually started waking up not feeling like shit and stopped taking them. Was never depressed since.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it was like flipping a switch. Before I started taking them, any random event or thought would send me spiraling into a vortex of fear and self-loathing. After I started taking them, I just... didn't. They don't "make me happy", but they make space for me to feel things other than the aforementioned fear and self-loathing.

I am incredibly lucky; obviously most people don't see such a dramatic effect.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. Therapy helped me break through my social anxiety to make the first real friendships I've had in a long, long time. It taught me coping strategies to keep going through depressive bouts when nothing seemed to matter, but it wasn't quite enough. I then tried adding medication; first a couple of SSRIs which I found intolerable due to miserable side effects. But then my doctor offered mirtazapine, and that seems to have helped a lot in lifting the cloud of apathy that's been hanging around me for so long.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yes. Anti-depressants arent supposed to make you happy, they are supposed to help you manage your depression. Curbing depression doesnt secure happiness.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
they just made me even more numb to life than I was before I took them, so I didn't stay on them long. I wouldn't use them again unless I was ever in a really bad way.

that wrote, good riddance to that banshee prick, I'm glad he can't peddle his filth on here anymore. the average edginess level of the forum just dropped significantly

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Antidepressants haven't really done anything for me, unfortunately. But that's probably because they weren't treating the real issue.

Now anti-anxiety medications have been a godsend. Buspirone really took the edge off for me, and made many otherwise unbearable situations fine.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I've taken 50-100mg Zoloft on and off for 10 years and it works pretty well for my anxiety. I recently started again after having quit for 2 years. I won't go higher than 25mg this time since I'm worried about long term ototoxic effects of SSRI's (hearing loss).

The only side effect I've had with Zoloft was increased libido, lasting longer in bed and more intense orgasms. Which is odd because for almost everyone it's the other way around.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I was on zoloft for about two years and they really helped pull me out of the lonely hole I had stuck myself into. It didn't fix everything but it enabled me to help myself a lot better by helping with the social anxiety and depression.

The only reason I ever took zoloft though was because of meditation and psychedelics, because they also enabled me to see who I was and where I was headed and how I could fix these problems.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Depends I suppose, they seem to have helped a few people on here from what I have read.

My tale on anti depressants was not a good one though, I was forced on them. I told my school/boarding house I was violently beaten and abused and rather than dealing with the issue they sent me to a psychiatrist and he put me on Zoloft, which basically zombified me. The bullying and violence did not stop and I left high school, but was still on them. I still felt zonked out, zombified and always had a sore stomach. One day I saw a truck coming down the street and I wanted to jump in front of it. I had to force myself to stand on the furthest side of the footpath from the road. I did not want these thoughts, these were not my thoughts. I went cold turkey on Zoloft the next day and never felt better.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
They helped me, but the side effects ruined my life, I was only able to stay awake for three hours at a time. Tried multiple ones and even cocktails to try and balance them out but after a couple months they all did the same thing, constantly drowsy. For me personally getting off them was one of the best choices I ever made.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I tried some once to rule things out and they didn't work for me, but I have a lot of close friends who greatly benefited from them.

I definitely suggest working with a doctor to see if they will improve your situation.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who turned their life around on an antidepressant. For me personally, no they have never worked. I tried at least 20 different pills over 10 years and never got anything but side effects.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I take Effexor XR and it has helped me manage my depression.
But as others said, antidepressants do not make you "happy". That's where a better diet, exercise, hobbies etc. come in.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Significantly. I am taking Lexapro for gad. Started earlier this year and suffered from pretty bad anxiety issues. Racing thoughts, catastrophizing, anxiety attacks, and what ifs were something I dealt with on daily basis. One day I had a very bad case of an anxiety attack. Usually my regular episodes are only a few minutes long. This one was over an hour long. I was on campus, and I went to the health clinic because I thought I was dying.

The doctor then recommended the medication. I didn't notice a difference for the first few weeks. But then I started noticing that I started to let go of things easier then before. Thoughts lingered less and less. Instead of being scared of something for days on ends, I now only experience a mild discomfort for a few hours.

It's truly liberating to experience what normal feels like. My overall stress levels went down significantly. It didn't impact my personality from what people around me are telling me.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
For me I found them to be a holiday from feeling bad. Like a sticking plaster or an overdraft; a contingency enabling me to bridge a gap behind the scenes.

As such they were effective. But I wouldn't recommend anyone stay on them.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
yes. but this isnt advil. its not a headache that you take a pill and a few hours later its gone.

im no therapist so please dont take this as end all be all advice but this worked for me:

i had to treat depression like i was sick. like i had the flu. if you have the flu, youre what, drinking liquids, resting, eating healthy, etc. AND youre taking medicine. you arent living your life the same way as if you were healthy and didnt have the flu right?

It requires lifestyle changes. in your diet, your routines, your self reflection and considerations. Everything. Therapy and anti depressants can go hand in hand. you arent gonna wake up suddenly happy. and you wont become a zombie who cant experience sadness anymore cause of your happy pills. thats not a thing. you will never be cured from sadness or depression. but you can learn how to deal with it in a healthy way and mitigate its affects on your life.

i am a therapist. this is fantastic advice.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
It is such bullshit that you have to try out a bunch of them to see if they work for you. Any other medical profession would have a tool or test to find out what treatment you need and meanwhile psychiatrists are like "hmmm maybe try this?". We are still in the Stone Age when it comes to understanding our damned brain.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Helped me, yes, for an anxiety order. Substantially. It was in concert with talk therapy and guidance. After a couple of months the symptoms I was experiencing went off like a light switch. I was just my normal self again.

I understand not everyone is so lucky though, and it can take time to find something that works. But stuff can work.

Dec 31, 2017
I think the following is a good model for how to think about happiness in general:

1) Baseline happiness - mostly chemical. Some people wake up in the morning at a 3 or 4 out of 10. Some people get really low and bottom out at like 0 or 1. Some people wake up at a 7 or 8 out of 10. This is chemistry at play- dopamine, GABA, serotonin, oxytocins, endorphins. If you're in the low range then you could benefit greatly from SSRIs to get your baseline up.

It sounds like you've tackled this part.

2) Internal/external influences - generating these chemicals through concerted effort. To do this:

- challenge yourself by learning new things. For me personally this is a big key to my own happiness.
- physical activity. Hitting the gym regularly, HIIT, lifting heaving.
- relaxation strategies like yoga/meditation.
- meaningful relationships.
- diet--getting enough complex carbs, B12, protein, fat.

Doing the above creates a powerful feedback loop--boosts your self esteem, energy, ambition, outlook on life, creates a sense of purpose.

Sounds like you need to develop a strategy for creating feedback loops. Maybe sit down and write out how to tackle each one?
Excellent post.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Why is that? My dos said that some people should take antidepressants for all their lives.
I should have spoken a lot more carefully actually, with respect to the terrain here. Medical advice shouldn't just be thrown around. Everyone has a unique case and set of circumstances, whereas I have no qualifications or relevant experience beyond spending three months taking an entry-level dose of an SSRI.

With that said, does my post read any better? I'm just saying I found what I took was effective at numbing psychological pain for a time. But I'd say it's wise, as a general rule even, to take as few medical drugs of any kind as possible.

Plus I think it's preferable to view depression as fundamentally temporary (or at least subject to circumstances). Viewing it this way heavily implies the possibility of change, which I think is healthy. Taking an SSRI certainly helped me to 'keep going' through what I was experiencing (a huge amount of job stress, for info). Eventually the circumstances changed and I stopped taking the meds as soon as I could.

It's a limited insight, but it is also a success story.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
They work until your body gets used to them. Talking to a therapist is a way better solution then any type of antidepressant.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Teh, I've always hated them, they never seemed to do much at all*
Back when I first started seeing the Psychologist she insisted I stuck to one, but after a month and a half I felt barely any different.
There was this new non-ssri one the GP had me trial about the start of the year, one that released melatonin, and I think that worked quite well. However, I think the actual reason for it working so well is because it was also essentially the ultimate sleep tablet, seeing as melatonin is the sleep hormone. I had the best damn sleeps for that one week, corrected my fucked sleeping cycle in like 2 days, and always woke up fully rested, it was GREAT.
Alas, I'm pretty sure it was also fucking up my liver, as it's apparently hepatotoxic, and the following month a blood test revealed liver problems.

*Except make it irritatingly hard to jack off

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
20 years of 10+ therapists, 5+ antidepressants, multiple antipsychotics and multiple chronic nerve pain meds later im pretty sure some people of us are just destined to suffer. Doing TMS therapy out of desperation at this point.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I tried Seroxat, Aurorix and Abilify, and now I'm on Wellbutrin. I think Abilify might have made me feel slightly better, but the difference was so subtle, it might as well have not worked at all. The others didn't work either. I just suffered from side effects, like being tired all the time or not being able to have an orgasm anymore. I don't really notice a difference with Wellbutrin either. It's getting.. depressing. Ha.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, the evidence is there for them and they largely do help people. Everyone is a bit different though so what works for one may not for the other, biology and chemistry being what it is. It's best to take them alongside other positive lifestyle measures like a good diet and exercise.