• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

"EA revealed that there's been a change of leadership at Battlefield developer DICE Stockholm.

As part of a call with investors following EA's Q3 FY2020 earnings report, the publisher talked a little bit about the next Battlefield game from DICE.

As part of the same call, EA also confirmed that DICE LA, which will soon be re-branded, will work on its own projects, based on internal prototypes. The publisher did not say, however, whether those will be Battlefield games.

As previously revealed, the game will take advantage of next-gen hardware, and will be released between April 2021 and March 2022 – likely around fall 2021."

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
it will be interesting to find out who moved where. i guess they will announce that at some point in the future.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're gonna skip a year??
Shit, I haven't played V that much because I was waiting for the next one. I might try to get back into it now, then.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought every BF game day1 since BC2, but I waited for V to go cheap before buying it. Dice last 2 BF games while still fun, are huge downgrade over the previous once and 4 launched in a shitty status too. Hopefully the next one bring the franchise back to what it was back then.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't really enjoyed the last few BF games. 3 is still my favourite.

The current games aren't even bad, just not my bag.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I wonder what EA will have for the launch of the new consoles then if there's no Battlefield this year.

Motive's Star Wars game, maybe?

Maybe a new Sims game to launch the new gen together with their Sports stuff.

But they did say they have like 12 games in the pipeline for this FY? So Sports, I think two mobile titles and then some.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I hope the new leadership also helps fixing the current problems and disconnection with the playerbase BFV seems to have

Otherwise, I really can't care less

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I hope for a future one with vtol aircraft. I do prefer battlefield infantry only gameplay though.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

But they did say they have like 12 games in the pipeline for this FY? So Sports, I think two mobile titles and then some.
They've only been working on the new Sims base game for like a year or so at most, it wouldn't be ready for this year.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
going to have to put out a GOTG if i'm going to touch battlefield again after 1 and V.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Hope for the best to all involved. Really want that Bad Company sequel or reboot

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
V is their first major ''failure'' if you can call it that, so it's not surprised to see some changes.

Also they need to rethink their marketing, they can not afford to have another BFV reveal. Politics aside it's still a complete disaster.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
The new boss was the FIFA boss, so now I'm more than worried.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Someone gifted me BFV and I almost immediately traded it in for another game. I've never sold or traded a game. Played a couple of games and while I had fun, something about it was very off-putting.

I enjoyed every other BF game quite a bit, so hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I'm worried it will be bad news. I want BF6 to be more like BFBC2/BF3, not a high TTK noobfest.

CODMW returned to its roots in COD4 and it's huge. Such a good game despite any issues because of the gameplay being solid. Don't hold our hands in a multiplayer FPS. And make it with PC in mind :P

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand I've enjoyed basically every major BF release with the exception of BFV and have faith in the next game in the franchise (assuming it's nothing like BFV).

On the other, I'd be curious to see how the series/new series would be treated if the majority of Dice were liberated from EA.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So three years between games instead of two.

I hope it works out.

I wouldn't hold my breath. As is DICE doesn't seem to care that much about what community is feeling about BFV's state.

Also like elenarie pointed out Rutter being there has been known for a while. Will be interesting to see if top down push for heavy involvement of MTX etc. mechanics gets now harder as FIFA games are filled to brim with that shit.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the battlefield series is played out. CoD too actually. Both need some time off.

May 25, 2019
London
I see this as a good thing as I think DICE needs to step back and think about what's really important about Battlefield.

My relationship with Battlefield is an odd one and may be a little unique. I started out playing 1942 (vanilla and Desert Combat) and Vietnam. I largely skipped BF2 but jumped in with 2142 in a big way. When BC2 came out, I really fell in love with its emphasis on the smaller scale, infantry led battles. A good squad made all the difference in that game. Rush re-framed the way I thought about Battlefield by placing importance on maintaining a front. Vehicles were still a huge part and could really swing a match given how few there were and the role they played on maps.

BF3 and BF4 were good, but my engagement with each one fell as it went back to an emphasis on huge maps. BFV is the Battlefield I have played the least since Vietnam, and the content rollout strategy still doesn't make any sense to me.

More concerning than my own experiences with the last few titles was that interview or article a year or two back that said DICE was unaware of why people loved BC2 so much. To me, it meant that they wouldn't make another game like that again not because they didn't want to, but because they didn't know how.

There's a ton of talented people at DICE, some of which post here so I'm sure they will read this. I would love nothing more to throw a thousand plus hours into Battlefield again, so I hope this works out for them.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
They're gonna skip a year??
Shit, I haven't played V that much because I was waiting for the next one. I might try to get back into it now, then.
You chose the absolute worst time to come back...

Yikes... So the guy that was in charge of the FIFA Microtransaction game and getting players as cards? The BF:V store is starting to make a lot more sense now. CC is absolutely worthless.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm just really hoping that the next Battlefield goes back to modern warfare and really cranks up the destructibility. Also hoping that it's good.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I can't imagine how good a next gen Battlefield is gonna look. I'm already excited.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
So do they retool frostbite for next gen or abandon it? I know everyone will say no way they will abandon it but Criterion was largely seen as a purchase for the middleware tech at the time that EA moved away from largely in less then 5 years

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly at this point, after seeing how fucking awesome Battlefront II has gotten with the addition of Capital Supremacy -

It's time for Battlefield: Star Wars. Give it to us. I want to get into an LAAT with my Clone boys and fly it around Coruscant, blowing up buildings and doing crazy shit. As far as I'm concerned, that would be the ultimate game.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Speculating here but being a Swedish dev that has been through something similar, and knowing many devs in the same position; my guess is that devs at DICE aren't super hyped that swedish leadership that has been there for a long time is replaced with an international EA hotshot.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Speculating here but being a Swedish dev that has been through something similar, and knowing many devs in the same position; my guess is that devs at DICE aren't super hyped that swedish leadership that has been there for a long time is replaced with an international EA hotshot.
I've been there too, when I worked at Disney. Had some outside suit come in and take over the studio... We lasted another year or so, then Disney closed the studio. It was for the best.
The thing that worries me the most about the new DICE management is what David Rutter did to the FIFA franchise and the movement towards more microtransactions in BATTLEFIELD.

As long as Lars is there, I have faith.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ditch BF1 and V playstyle. Feels too much like battlefront. Go back to 3 and 4 in playstyle and get rid of the godawful unlock system from 1 and V

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017

I very much doubt sims will release day and date on next gen consoles. It's clearly a pc focused property that they are trying to give a broader reach, but the expansions still release well after the pc versions.