• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
But its not a plausible scenario, thats the point. Women did not serve on the frontlines in a widespread manner. But to be honest, in my opinion for DICE to try and use historical positions to justify certain decisions is a bad idea. DICE should have just said, "Its Multiplayer, we want it to be fun, we want you to personalize yourself in your multiplayer avatars, have cosmetics that look cool and bad-ass, have the ability to be a woman" that would have gone over better.

In my opinion, people want not realism, but the idea of realism. Where gameplay vs realism, gameplay wins, but for things that don't matter, like visuals, we enter a more contested arena. DICE's marketing with BF1 was very oriented towards respecting history (in messaging at least), so the shift to BFV was jarring, especially for the hardcore, up-to date audience that kept following the game.

I like how you changed it to "wide spread"since there are women who did indeed fight.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Combine that low energy with SJW-ism and DICE started off to a bad start.
"Sjw-ism", You're certainly gonna last long here champ.

In my opinion, people want not realism, but the idea of realism. Where gameplay vs realism, gameplay wins, but for things that don't matter, like visuals, we enter a more contested arena.
People only want the "idea of realism" when it means excluding women and minorities from their video games. Surely by Yet those same people always are the first to say "but it's a video game" whenever someone complains about a sexist character design.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The gender controversy had DICE and EA respond by stating "buzz off, we don't want you to buy it" if they were being sexist.
Because being sexist is a good thing now? What?

The BFV trailer also declines to include any music, making it notably less "powerful?". Combine that low energy with SJW-ism and DICE started off to a bad start
My personal advise to you: Go outside every now and then. Talk to real people and don't hang around in alt-right forums too much. You could use some fresh air.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Also we can't underestimate the amount of dislike for EA, the release of ME:A and its dropping afterwards (or the barnfire of Star Wars), nor the appearance of BFV as a rushed game without polish. Something that companies seek to cultivate is the image of trust, goodwill, and sincerity. EA isn't trusted to make a games for service.

We won't know for certain yet, but the deep discounts on a AAA game for BFV speak to missed sales figures, which I argue is the culmination of EA's follies finally coming to rest.

If EA really wants to improve, it needs to undertake consistent, sustained goodwill gestures over a long period of time, over varying game franchises in order to improve their image. That includes showing humility and a respect for all their audiences, hardcore, and otherwise. If they don't, the fanbases that exist on the internet will continue to mar them. Obviously they aren't that important, they don't speak for millions of people, but hardcore fanbases can be harnessed for positive generation of publicity which has big impact on wider audiences that may be burned, yet don't keep up to date enough to get relief afterwards.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Because being sexist is a good thing now? What?

My personal advise to you: Go outside every now and then. Talk to real people and don't hang around in alt-right forums too much. You could use some fresh air.

I never said I agreed with them. I don't agree with /r/battlefield, the inclusion of women in the game isn't a problem whatsoever. But the people on /r/battlefield, perceived "SJW-ism" as a threat from the trailer. I didn't mean to suggest I agreed with them.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Also we can't underestimate the amount of dislike for EA, the release of ME:A and its dropping afterwards (or the barnfire of Star Wars), nor the appearance of BFV as a rushed game without polish. Something that companies seek to cultivate is the image of trust, goodwill, and sincerity. EA isn't trusted to make a games for service.

We won't know for certain yet, but the deep discounts on a AAA game for BFV speak to missed sales figures, which I argue is the culmination of EA's follies finally coming to rest.

If EA really wants to improve, it needs to undertake consistent, sustained goodwill gestures over a long period of time, over varying game franchises in order to improve their image. That includes showing humility and a respect for all their audiences, hardcore, and otherwise. If they don't, the fanbases that exist on the internet will continue to mar them. Obviously they aren't that important, they don't speak for millions of people, but hardcore fanbases can be harnessed for positive generation of publicity which has big impact on wider audiences that may be burned, yet don't keep up to date enough to get relief afterwards.

If you want them to continue to cater too the whims of regressive assholes I will say fuck em.

I never said I agreed with them. I don't agree with /r/battlefield, the inclusion of women in the game isn't a problem whatsoever. But the people on /r/battlefield, perceived "SJW-ism" as a threat from the trailer. I didn't mean to suggest I agreed with them.

From what has been said in those quotes I posted I really can't understand how that can come across as a threat.
This is nothing more then outrage culture from probably white nationalists.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Dice should have done what sledgehammer did last year with cod ww2 and dont engage those shits let them bang their heads on the wall

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Indeed #everyonesbattlefield is so jarring and bad/s
Maybe you should read some of the other quotes in that photo.

I can definitely see people with attitude like yours being part of the problem here, misunderstanding everything, again, it's not about women being in the game It's their response to the backlash.

If the game was set in the present or future no issues whatsoever, but a game in WW2 era with a woman wielding a spiked cricket bat and a prosthetic arm while DICE touting it as the most realistic battlefield game, etc, you can definitely see why some people had issues with it. Their poor response to that backlash is what has caused all of this, treating everyone that didn't like as one and the same alt-right douchebags because that's the only reason people would dislike it right?

Anyways, I can see this going in circles, I've said my piece already in this thread.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Indeed #everyonesbattlefield is so jarring and bad/s

I can definitely see people with attitude like yours being part of the problem here, misunderstanding everything, again, it's not about women being in the game It's their response to the backlash.

If the game was set in the present or future no issues whatsoever, but a game in WW2 era with a woman wielding a spiked cricket bat and a prosthetic arm while DICE touting it as the most realistic battlefield game, etc, you can definitely see why some people had issues with it. Their poor response to that backlash is what has caused all of this, treating everyone that didn't like as one and the same alt-right douchebags because that's the only reason people would dislike it right?

Anyways, I can see this going in circles, I've said my piece already in this thread.

EDIT: Double post due to ERA time out.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
r/Battlefield goes up in flames, alt-rights burn the sub down with accusations of DICE advocating for 'gamer genocide' and

Wha??

8Q1S.gif

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: Double post due to ERA time out.

What response do you think wasn't warranted?
I genuinely trying to understand what response from the deva you think was bad.
I checked the pic again and I can't find wtf you are triggered by.

I do think people like you are a issue in gaming too, since you are cherrypicking quotes to try and push the narrative that Dice attacked their base.
You are perpetuating the outrage culture from the alt right and you should be ashamed.

Again I understand why they wanted a women with a prosthetic arm since it also showed their ideas on how people can buy skins for the game since THEY ARENT using shit like season passes or lootboxes.
I

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Apparently you do agree with it, since you want EA to stop antagonizing their racist, sexist fans because "that's one of their fanbases". You throw marketing flaws and not catering to right-wings into the same argument of yours. What monetary or moral value would they gain from catering to the most toxic of their audiences?

This makes no sense apart from sounding like the "I'm an expert about Japanese culture" meme. Star Wars performed and still performs stellar, so does the Battlefield series. Apart from Mass Effect I can't see where they are underperforming exactly. Comparing a loot box incident, to a poorly received ME game with a bunch of right-wingers whining isn't adequate.

Oct 25, 2017
"if you want video games to be more inclusive, make them yourself instead of complaining about it >:U"

*finger on a monkeys paw curls*

you could say that the gamers who wanted inclusion "rose up" and in fact did exactly as instructed

Oct 27, 2017

I do think people like you are a issue in gaming too, since you are cherrypicking quotes to try and push the narrative that Dice attacked their base.
You are perpetuating the outrage culture from the alt right and you should be ashamed.

Probably the quotes mocking the (not at all legitimate) complaints of the game. "White Men! White Men!", "Femanzi's are trying to rewrite history".
I'm also not sure why using those in a mocking fashion would set anyone off who isn't already unhinged.

Props to DICE for including this quote with the original bad grammar: "What the fuck was the developers thinking." lmao

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the quotes mocking the (not at all legitimate) complaints of the game. "White Men! White Men!", "Femanzi's are trying to rewrite history".
I'm also not sure why using those in a mocking fashion would set anyone off who isn't already unhinged.

Props to DICE for including this quote with the original bad grammar: "What the fuck was the developers thinking." lmao

Those quotes are real ones I'm guessing. I don't think Dice made them up (I could be wrong tho).

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Like I've stated earlier I think the so called attack on fans are in large taken out of context of white identity politics regressors.

I mean if anyone take the following passage as an attack on their fan base I don't know what to say except you also probably are a bigot.

"
After explaining the creative reasoning, Soderlund moved into personal examples. "I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" he continued. "She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' … I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not ok.' These are people who are uneducated – they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario.
"Listen: this is a game. And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]. And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not OK."

He literally called the fanbase "uneducated." How can you NOT take that as an attack?

Nekrono

May 17, 2018

Again I understand why they wanted a women with a prosthetic arm since it also showed their ideas on how people can buy skins for the game since THEY ARENT using shit like season passes or lootboxes.
I
Cherrypicking DICE responses that even journalists have reported on? Sure, sounds like I'm going out of my way.

How you relate my stance on this discussion to perpetuating an outrage culture and especially from the alt right is beyond me, especially when I've said multiple times that I'm ok with the inclusion of women in the game, but yeah it sure sounds like you're paying attention and not misunderstanding anything at all. I'm done discussing with you.

Oct 27, 2017
He literally called the fanbase "uneducated." How can you NOT take that as an attack?

He called people who can't handle women in video games uneducated. It clearly resonated with you for some reason......

Those quotes are real ones I'm guessing. I don't think Dice made them up (I could be wrong tho).

I don't doubt they are real. Just meant that DICE was mocking them by including them in the banner.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Context please:

Regarding the 'women in BFV' backlash
Soderlund rejected those complaints outright.

"We felt like in today's world—I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" Soderlund said.

"She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' She looked at me and she couldn't understand it. And I'm like, ok, as a parent, how the hell am I gonna respond to this, and I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not okay.'"

"These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he added. "And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]."

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
People only want the "idea of realism" when it means excluding women and minorities from their video games. Surely by Yet those same people always are the first to say "but it's a video game" whenever someone complains about a sexist character design.

As others have said though, had this been Battlefield 2143 or maybe even Bad Company 3, you realize the outcry would have been far less, right? There's very little, if any, outcry in Titanfall 2, Rainbow Six Siege, or other modern/future shooters. I don't think I've ever once seen anyone get upset over the women and POC Operators in R6 Siege.

And the "idea of realism" from what I've seen also extends to visuals like camos. Prior to the game releasing (and even prior to Battlefield 1), people worried that DICE would include neon camos and stuff (basically, what CoD does). Thankfully in BF1, they stayed really true to the period and offered various wood grains, different brushed metals, etc, but nothing really outrageous.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Cherrypicking DICE responses that even journalists have reported on? Sure, sounds like I'm going out of my way.

How you relate my stance on this discussion to perpetuating an outrage culture and especially from the alt right is beyond me, especially when I've said multiple times that I'm ok with the inclusion of women in the game, but yeah it sure sounds like you're paying attention and not misunderstanding anything at all. I'm done discussing with you.

You still haven't posted what you thought was bad about their handling. Just that it was bad.
I have given proper context to the so called attacks and they are pretty reasonable.
That is why I'm calling you out.

Oct 27, 2017

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said though, had this been Battlefield 2143 or maybe even Bad Company 3, you realize the outcry would have been far less, right? There's very little, if any, outcry in Titanfall 2, Rainbow Six Siege, or other modern/future shooters. I don't think I've ever once seen anyone get upset over the women and POC Operators in R6 Siege.

And the "idea of realism" from what I've seen also extends to visuals like camos. Prior to the game releasing (and even prior to Battlefield 1), people worried that DICE would include neon camos and stuff (basically, what CoD does). Thankfully in BF1, they stayed really true to the period and offered various wood grains, different brushed metals, etc, but nothing really outrageous.

Honestly it is the idiotic hypocrisy that we can stretch everything from technology to weird war stories that pisses me of.

Yeah.... just imagine if they had say a gold skin in BF1...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As others have said though, had this been Battlefield 2143 or maybe even Bad Company 3, you realize the outcry would have been far less, right?
The fact that there would be an outcry at all is ridiculous and reflects poorly on the gaming community.

I don't think I've ever once seen anyone get upset over the women and POC Operators in R6 Siege.
Trust me that game received backlash for having playable women too.

If women is the thing that breaks your immersion in your shootbang video game where not a single gun has a correct ammo count then you need to examine why that is.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I agree to some degree.
But I'd like to understand what part has painted BFV being more money hungry?
I mean they have skipped shit like season passes and lootboxes.

So theres a list of things that bring negativity and low judgement of EA, we have SWBF2, with the microtransactions at launch being seen as excessive, we have DLC roadmaps that didn't pan out (but thats my perception of it, but I think thats also the broad perception as well)

We have ME:A, which was released, and instead of EA working further on DLC and etc, they disbanded the studio and shelved the DLC,
we have the eternal microtransactions of their sport titles, with BF1, i mean, I'm still disappointed in the campaign excluding any Central Powers viewpoints despite promises to do so, and with BFV, we have lots of indications with regards to the game being released, in a state I wouldn't really approve of spending $60 on, and if sales rumors are true, EA's desired audience is of my mind as well. Their roadmap, a lot of it should have been in the game in the first place, a lot of it looks like EA selling a game to make money before its done. Yes, its free, no paid DLC, but EA hasn't particularly made a argument for it to be worth more than $60 entrance fee instead of it as part of the $60 initial expense.

BFV is already on sale at 50% off less than 2 weeks from release. (I brought it at $30, not $60) Which brings me back to GaaS and the need for continued communication with your audience. In my opinion, and I think this characterizes lots of other people, EA does not have the required goodwill or trust to successfully pull off a Games as a Service for the battlefield franchise. (Successful is defined as EA meeting their financial expectations)

Obviously only the corporate bigwigs will be deciding whether or not BFV is matching their expectations but I don't think it is, and lot of it in my opinion comes back to EA's reputation.

Disclosure: I'm a fan of Battlefield, I played 1942, BF2, BFV, BF3, BF1, and BFV. I brought EA stock in August 2018 (not a lot, just play money), as a fan, and as a investor, I want EA to do well, and I'm troubled by the state of the company as it stands to my perception and in relation to what I value (I'm not a fan of gambling, or lootboxes, I'm wary of GaaS in regards to my spending). Quarterly earnings will decide if I'm right to be worried or wrong, but for context, when I share my thoughts and suggestions for EA, its done from this stance. (Why mention this? I dunno, I feel like this context is important to state)

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I think the folks outraged are the vocal loud minority. It's too bad that's represented as the majority.

Regardless, sounds like BFV is under performing, and probably largely because gameplay wise it isn't what BF fans were looking for, and the game is missing modes / content. Call of Duty is out pacing it sales wise, and BFV is already marked down in price. Anyways, I hope everything works out for Dice, but after BFV maybe Dice should spend 3 yrs developing a game and not cranking out a game every year.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh boo fucking hoo. More devs/pubs should call shitheads out instead of cuddling every asshat with fear of losing money. Also, sure it was attack towards a subset of "fans", but not all the fans. It's absolutely clear who they've been adressing then and now. The attack was deserved and this isn't that.

Sure it could be said it's not great way doing business, but it's their business. Do we now really care that much about EA:s profits? That we are concerned how they talk to their "fans" since it can lead to less sales? Or what's your issue here? They called dumbfucks out, now what? What should happen? Should they apologize? Promise to not think about inclusion and diversity in the future when making their games and acknowledge the harmful effects of "feminazism". What are we expecting them to do now?

Last edited:

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
If you believe that women was the sole reason for a sales drop of 50% compared to BF1 and the whole backslash, then you are naive and eat their PR spin right up.
DICE and EA tried to do damage control, justifying their monetization by customization options by labeling all criticism as due to the inclusion of women, and defending their decision by labeling it as social awareness.

And in the sane time, labeling all their fans as uneducated. Yeah, the PR genius and spin doctor needs to be fired. Of course some people were mad of the inclusion of women, but come one, if this was the case, then where was the outrage for any other game in the market that includes women as playable characters?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really acting like the response to the first trailer wasn't ridiculously fucking overblown? Going by some of the posts here, you'd think that some poor fans made some mild criticisms of the game and got shouted down by the evil devs, and not that a very vocal group of triggered dipshits were bitching and moaning about women and minorities being represented in that trailer, and using the historical accuracy excuse to veil their incredibly obvious bigotry. Trying to act as if DICE were shitting on the entire fanbase is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's an interesting tidbit - PTFOHolland, the former lead mod on the subreddit, is a frequent "r/The_Donald" poster.

Sums up exactly why that subreddit went to shit.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
And in the sane time, labeling all their fans as uneducated. Yeah, the PR genius and spin doctor needs to be fired. Of course some people were mad of the inclusion of women, but come one, if this was the case, then where was the outrage for any other game in the market that includes women as playable characters?
Were you around when EA added female teams to Fifa? Were you around Battlefield 1 when people got pissed because of black protagonist? Were you around just few months back when Total War 2 got review bombed because of female generals? Like this shit aint new, it's happened before and it will happen again. We can even go back to GTA San Andreas and people losing their shit over black protagonist. There's real pushback against diversity and inclusion from dumbfucks in gaming community. Sexual minorities have had the same pushback, look at Last of Us in example. Then look at online gaming communities that aren't as well moderated as Era to see where that pushback comes from, it's hard to miss.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Lol miss me with this bullshit about the fan backlash being clean and wholesome. Everyone can see literally every comment section on anything Battlefield related for literally months being flooded with alt-right assholes calling it GENDERFIELD and talking about robot arm feminists or whatever other boogeyman of the day they have. Trying to whitewash this nonsense when everyone can see it plain as day is just absurd. DICE responded appropriately to these idiots.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
If you believe that women was the sole reason for a sales drop of 50% compared to BF1 and the whole backslash, then you are naive and eat their PR spin right up.
DICE and EA tried to do damage control, justifying their monetization by customization options by labeling all criticism as due to the inclusion of women, and defending their decision by labeling it as social awareness.

Honest question.
Would you rather have gated content and a split playerbase over GaaS?
Cause I know what I would prefer.

Also you should get your head out of whatever altright ass you have it in since they didn't label all their fans as uneducated. Only the snowflakes who got angry.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Were you around when EA added female teams to Fifa? Were you around Battlefield 1 when people got pissed because of black protagonist? Were you around just few months back when Total War 2 got review bombed because of female generals? Like this shit aint new, it's happened before and it will happen again. We can even go back to GTA San Andreas and people losing their shit over black protagonist. There's real pushback against diversity and inclusion from dumbfucks in gaming community. Sexual minorities have had the same pushback, look at Last of Us in example. Then look at online gaming communities that aren't as well moderated as Era to see where that pushback comes from, it's hard to miss.
Honest question.

Also you should get your head out of whatever altright ass you have it in since they didn't label all their fans as uneducated. Only the snowflakes who got angry.

I was around in most of them. Did Battlefield 1 see a major drop in sales due to Harlem Hellfighters? Did FIFA see a major drop? No they did not, and that is my point. Bigots and idiots are everywhere, but you are not gonna confince me that the Battlefield community was 90% alt right bigots and incels.

Honest question.

Customization options are cool and something I personally wanted. But I did not want Battlefield to look like one big cosplay party. That Kratos dude, tanks with teddy bears and horse heads? No thank you.

And don't ridicule me with alt-right nonsense. They put every critic into the same basket as the bigots, and called it the day, that is why people got angry because they felt they went unheard. Give me a link to where DICE addresses the customization options without mentioning women. They didn't until months later in a live stream. People complained a lot about the wacky customization, and thank god DICE finally listened.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I was around in most of them. Did Battlefield 1 see a major drop in sales due to Harlem Hellfighters? Did FIFA see a major drop? No they did not, and that is my point. Bigots and idiots are everywhere, but you are not gonna confince me that the Battlefield community was 90% alt right bigots and incels.

Customization options are cool and something I personally wanted. But I did not want Battlefield to look like one big cosplay party. That Kratos dude, tanks with teddy bears and horse heads? No thank you.

And don't ridicule me with alt-right nonsense. They put every critic into the same basket as the bigots, and called it the day, that is why people got angry because they felt they went unheard. Give me a link to where DICE addresses the customization options without mentioning women. They didn't until months later in a live stream. People complained a lot about the wacky customization, and thank god DICE finally listened.

So I'm happy you agree with me that gated content and all the stuff that comes with it is bad.
Regarding skins we have had gold guns in bf1 and I didn't see anyone cry about it.

They and I will call out BS that is founded in altright talkimg points.
You said they called their entire fanbase uneducated when they did no such thing.
That is YOU regurgitating BS talking points.
So please miss me and this thread with that BS.