• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
giphy.gif

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'll never understand why the awards shows have games that clearly will not win GOTY in the final category. God of War already beat out Spider-Man, Obra Dinn, and RDR2 in the earlier Adventure Game category, so clearly those three weren't going to win.

EDIT: By "clearly will not win" I don't mean preference, just logically due to earlier awards that were given in the show.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And with that God of War just passed Breath of the Wild in Game of the Year awards. Congrats to Cory and the whole team.

Cory always talks about the good things in this industry and the things that matter the most. It's why it's easy to cheer for him. I can't name a single person hardly from Rockstar or how they feel about any of the issues that go on in the industry today. Cory is always talking about them. That's why he is such a great dude.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Knew they had no chance of winning, but I'm glad Into the Breach and Return of the Obra Dinn got nominated for GOTY! More people need to play those games! They're right up with God of War as some of the best games of 2018.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Glad to see God of War win. Might be one of the finest games of all time. Lovely success story for Sony Santa Monica, Corey, and Sony.

My heart still would have loved to see Spidey win though 😁

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I'll never understand why the awards shows have games that clearly will not win GOTY in the final category. God of War already beat out Spider-Man, Obra Dinn, and RDR2 in the earlier Adventure Game category, so clearly those three weren't going to win.

EDIT: By "clearly will not win" I don't mean preference, just logically due to earlier awards that were given in the show.
This isn't really a "show". Peers are nominating games that deserve to be nominated.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
This isn't really a "show". Peers are nominating games that deserve to be nominated.
Yeah, I get that, it's always just been a bit odd to me how it ends up playing out.

And by "show" I wasn't trying to make it sound like performance. I guess "event" would have made more sense.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the winners, Forza Horizon 4, GoW and Spider-man with a great showing.
Fighterz got robbed, smash is absolute trash tier fighting game.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

Just because they won't win the award doesn't deserve that they shouldn't be nominated for the award imo. Those games deserved to be in the GOTY contention and to be able to say they were runners up for GOTY at DICE.

edit: that trackpants joke was great

Oct 27, 2017

"It's an honor just to be something something..."

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Just because they won't win the award doesn't deserve that they shouldn't be nominated for the award imo. Those games deserved to be in the GOTY contention and to be able to say they were runners up for GOTY at DICE.

edit: that trackpants joke was great
Yeah, I see that. And I agree they deserve to be in that category, it's just...there's no "oh my god i wonder who will win" there.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Great show, can't wait to see what's next this year!
RE2, DMCV, Sekiro, maybe even some surprises like TLOU2? We will see..

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Lol yeah it does seem pointless when you say it like that. Not sure what else could be up there with God of War though... I had FH4 above it on my list but it's a racing game, which generally gets ignored in these type of shows except for the racing cathegory. But RDR2 and GoW are both back on the shelf but I'm still playing FH4 so maybe it should've won even on my list ;P

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Great show! Jokes were good without being overused or falling flat, the segments showcasing each game as it was being presented for an award was good, and awards were handed out at a relatively quick case. Here's hoping gameovergreggy and Jessica Chobot host again next year.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Bringing everything together is way fucking harder than doing the same with the movie, especially since it's a young medium still.
Think of it this way, in film it may be easier as film is more simple, if that makes sense. Sure CGI can be a challenge, but a lot of it is known and been done before.

Game development is hundreds of moving parts, done by hundreds of people, all of which have to come together to work, and they usually don't. The director has to keep it all working, and especially with certain ideas like GOW's no cut camera, convince people of ideas that take *years* to fully realize.

I probably didn't explain it perfectly, but I hope that made sense.

I understand that, but does that make it more difficult? Or just difficult in a different way? Simply being a known process doesn't make something easier. For example you can't tweak a film after release like you can modern games. You can re-edit it of course for home video but that theatrical release is generally gonna be the only one most people will see. Not to mention I'd say there is less pressure on a game director to perform publicly. Rian Johnson is almost solely being blamed for TLJ, and the studio blamed for hiring him. No one is blaming the game director for BFV's issues.

Oct 31, 2017
tenor.gif

Congrats to GOTY of War for totally dominating the awards. I totally lost count of how many awards SSM won 🤭😆

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Well, Red Dead Redemption 2 at least won Technical Achievement.

Was hoping it'd win Story and Character (Arthur Morgan) though too. RDR2's story is just in a league of its own.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
God of War deserves all the credit. RDR2 was an absolute slog of a game that I literally had to force myself to finish. Characters were great and the technical aspect of it was great as well. But it was a shitty GAME and shouldn't be recognized as some masterpiece like some exclaim.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
God of War deserves all the credit. RDR2 was an absolute slog of a game that I literally had to force myself to finish. Characters were great and the technical aspect of it was great as well. But it was a shitty GAME and shouldn't be recognized as some masterpiece like some exclaim.

I don't know if calling RDR2 a shitty game is fair. A shitty game isn't going to sell 20 million copies in 3 months, with 17 in the first month alone. God of War was more well rounded. Both are masterclass titles.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if calling RDR2 a shitty game is fair. A shitty game isn't going to sell 20 million copies in 3 months, with 17 in the first month alone. God of War was more well rounded. Both are masterclass titles.

I honestly believe Rockstar themselves could have put "the gameplay is shitty" in every trailer and it would have sold just as much based on name and recognition alone.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I honestly believe Rockstar themselves could have put "the gameplay is shitty" in every trailer and it would have sold just as much based on name and recognition alone.
You're seriously understanding word of mouth. If the game played so badly there's no way it'd have sold as much, it literally passed RDR's lifetime sales in a week or so

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You're seriously understanding word of mouth. If the game played so badly there's no way it'd have sold as much, it literally passed RDR's lifetime sales in a week or so

Like someone posted above there's a reason such a small percentage actually completed the game much less made it into the later chapters.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Would you not argue that rdr2 main strength is its story and not its online???
I would. But I also think it has its faults. The story doesn't fit the game design for one, you are able to make a lot of money yet the story depends on you not having any. It created the most dissonance i've Had with any game this year.

The awards were given out by developers and certain things are going to impress them more. One of the biggest things I noticed that they stayed away from equating best with most. Rdr certainly had the most story, and the most animations and the most art, but it didn't mean it was the best.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would. But I also think it has its faults. The story doesn't fit the game design for one, you are able to make a lot of money yet the story depends on you not having any. It created the most dissonance i've Has with any game this year.

The awards were given out by developers and certain things are going to impress them more. One of the biggest things I noticed that they stayed away from slinging best with most. Rdr certainly had the most story, and the most animations and the most art, but it didn't mean it was the best.
I never said it was the best story, ( out of the nominees ) but to me these awards were a joke when they nominate rdr2 for its lackluster online and not the story :)