• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much any time a character's only contribution to a dialogue is to just say the other character's name with some ellipses.

Who even talks like that? They're better off just saying nothing.

Lol, this happens in so many JRPGs that I have to assume it's a Japan thing. I don't disagree, however. It always just sounds stupid.

Also yeah, agree with all the meme reference mentions. Almost every single one I've seen has been painfully unfunny.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I went to go check, and she doesn't say faggot, but cocksucker... which isn't any better. It's easy to miss if you interrupt her dialogue during the fight because it cuts her off if you shoot, but I screencapped this:

7334703302.png

She's a hillbilly zombie.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
DmC's dialogue had this effect on me multiple times.
I have very little patience for "funny" characters that aren't funny at all, like Tatsu in XCX or Bienfu in Tales of Berseria. Hearing boring food jokes or "BIEEEEEEEEN" over and over and over is so tiresome.
I dislike the Potatsu jokes, but you can shoot the other Nopon stuff and Bienfu straight into my veins. I know it's bad, but that's the type of premium garbage I enjoy.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
She's a hillbilly zombie.
Yeah, fair enough, it's a realistic piece of dialogue for her character, but personally I feel like being called a homophobic slur during a boss fight would anger me and I'd find it offputting, and while it would then be satisfying to finish her off, if I got a game over the sour taste wouldn't be washed out by the narrative payoff of her defeat. The thread is about dialogue that lowers people's personal opinions of a game and for some of us stuff like this is a dealbreaker even if it is realistic. Sorry - I don't play video games to experience negative shit I experience in the real world ramped up to eleven for thrills and "realism."

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any references/winks to internet gaming forums in games is usually a real tone lowerer for me. Paper Mario 2 being the only real exception that springs to mind.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, fair enough, it's a realistic piece of dialogue for her character, but personally I feel like being called a homophobic slur during a boss fight would anger me and I'd find it offputting, and while it would then be satisfying to finish her off, if I got a game over the sour taste wouldn't be washed out by the narrative payoff of her defeat. The thread is about dialogue that lowers people's personal opinions of a game and for some of us stuff like this is a dealbreaker even if it is realistic. Sorry - I don't play video games to experience negative shit I experience in the real world ramped up to eleven for thrills and "realism."

To each their own of course, just pointing out that a homophobic character does not make a game homophobic.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I generally really liked Va11-Hall-A but this weird "SJW" joke felt out of place and put a bad taste in my mouth

XSiJpYF.jpg

723wdnS.jpg

In a game that is otherwise really progressive and inclusive, it seemed like a really weird bit of commentary that didn't fit.

Yea, that and the other 4chan memes are a big turn off. Otherwise the game looks pretty interesting.
From what I've heard, I kind of understand the commentary tied to the one "underage" robot, but the use of the DFC 4chan meme seems really bad from an outside irrespective.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
To each their own of course, just pointing out that a homophobic character does not make a game homophobic.
Yeah, of course, a character doesn't necessarily represent the game's stance. The point at which including a homophobic character becomes homophobic for me is when, e.g. their homophobia is framed as good/neutral/funny, though I assume that's not the case in Resident Evil 7 since she's an asshole zombie who's trying to kill you. In this case I feel like it's unnecessary dialogue that could be replaced with something else that would achieve the same characterization, which is why learning about it has made me a little disappointed, though I'm still intrigued to check the game out and don't think it comes from a place of ill will.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I generally really liked Va11-Hall-A but this weird "SJW" joke felt out of place and put a bad taste in my mouth
In a game that is otherwise really progressive and inclusive, it seemed like a really weird bit of commentary that didn't fit.
Speaking of Va11-Hall-A, I'm looking forward to playing it, but...

waifu_abuse_0233.png

...having a tired, verbatim Simpsons quote in your dialogue is pure writing poison to me.

(edit: haha, I'm the post above!)

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

cocksucker isn't a homophobic slur

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never said the game was homophobic.

It was just a jarring thing to hear and it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Even moreso because it was a one-off and no one else in the game came close to those kinds of slurs at all.

They're all batshit crazy and eccentric Southerners, and that mixed with the ridiculousness of RE7 in general (severed limbs bring cured with first-aid), this one word was like hitting a brick wall that just took me out of the game and made me go, "Hmm," because it was too real, if that makes sense.

Southerners or not, the writing and choice of word usage lowered my opinion of this particular section, yeah, especially since the game shows excellent southern flavor in almost everything that isn't the actual script.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Persona English dub obsession of keeping Japanese honorifics. Mitsuru-senpai, Yukari-chan, Naoto-kun.

Honestly, if you are going to localize the game to English, get rid of the honorifics.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I loved hearing Bienfu's "BIIIIIEEEEEEEEE-HEHEHEEEEEN." Cute voice and it was overall adorable for me :P.

It stood out like a sore thumb in RE7, but when I heard Marguerite say "faggot," it kind of soured me on the game's writing a bit. To my knowledge, RE has never used slurs like that and it definitely made me "=/" because it just felt so sudden and WTF for me as a gay dude in one of my favorite franchises.

For what its worth I'm pretty sure its "cocksucker" and not "faggot". A tiiiiiny bit less rough on my ears at least.

That said, I get where you are coming from but as a gay dude myself I was almost tickled by her saying that. The whole feel of the game, the environment, and its characters made the slur as non-offensive to me as possible. It just sort of fits with the whole hillbilly horror vibe and how dark and bleak everything is. This all coming from someone who thinks RE7 is one of the top 2 horror games ever created, so I am not very unbiased.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
DmC is the worst game regarding this.

It got so bad they actually rightly took out quite a few for the definitive edition because somebody at the office realized the second go around that it was cringe inducing. Didn't get all of them, but the more suspect ones were erased

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

Sev

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese RPGs that rely on quirky anime antics for comedy like Tales and Fire Emblem.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's wink wink nudge nudge on internet memes went from cute to annoying because of their overuse .

Clix

Banned

XSiJpYF.jpg

723wdnS.jpg

Not really. In the real world, outside of this forum, it is what it is. It's a term in the real world applied to people who do social justice incredibly wrong or with a certain type of immature mentality usually from people on the internet. It is what it is. It's a term that has existed since I was a kid before "online culture".

I think it fits. I'm progressive and there is plenty to laugh about other "progressives".

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not really. In the real world, outside of this forum, it is what it is. It's a term in the real world applied to people who do social justice incredibly wrong or with a certain type of immature mentality usually from people on the internet. It is what it is. It's a term that has existed since I was a kid before "online culture".

I think it fits. I'm progressive and there is plenty to laugh about other "progressives".

I'll be honest, I've never heard it used outside of the internet. Maybe it's a country specific thing?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe? I've heard it since the early 90's here in the US, but the developers are my people and we have in my home country similar terms.

Ah right, here in the UK the term "PC (Political Correctness) Brigade" is an analogous term that's been around since the 90s at least, I guess your term sort of superseded it once it spread across the internet.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
The combat banter in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is simply unbearable. Having characters utter the same sentences over and over and over AND OVER again is the epitome of immersion-braking. I mean, come on.

Versipellis

Oct 29, 2017
In point & click adventure games, references to Monkey Island (usually in the form of "Look behind you! A three-headed monkey" and other famous bits).
Sometimes I feel like the game was made just to include that "homage" to MI...

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017

Really? I honestly didn't think the term existed prior to a few years ago. But regardless of its original intent, the term "SJW" has been bastardized by groups such as Gamergate to belittle anyone who wants any sort of social or progressive change in video games. Va11-hall-a was made when Gamergate was still going on, they really should have known better than to adopt a term that had become a calling card for such an abusive group.

edit: Wikipedia reinforces this:

The phrase originated in the late 20th century as a neutral or positive term for people engaged in social justice activism. In 2011, when the term first appeared on Twitter, it changed from a primarily positive term to an overwhelmingly negative one.During the Gamergate controversy, the negative connotation gained increased use, and was particularly aimed at those espousing views adhering to social liberalism, cultural inclusivity, or feminism, as well as views deemed to be politically correct.

GG turned the term "SJW" into an insult to mock anyone remotely liberal.

Clix

Banned
Really? I honestly didn't think the term existed prior to a few years ago. But regardless of its original intent, the term "SJW" has been bastardized by groups such as Gamergate to belittle anyone who wants any sort of social or progressive change in video games. Va11-hall-a was made when Gamergate was still going on, they really should have known better than to adopt a term that had become a calling card for such an abusive group.

edit: Wikipedia reinforces this:

GG turned the term "SJW" into an insult to mock anyone remotely liberal.

Wikipedia is not really a gold standard here. Again, the term has been around since the 90's. Internet culture may have given rise to it again, but it did not originate from the internet nor memes. I heard it back when I was in middle school in the 90's.

And GG is not the best example, cause again, out in the world... eh? I can go around my office right now (made up of mostly young people and I can guarantee you maybe two person will know what GamerGate is. Nothing is bastardized because the source is meaningless in the end. Maybe to you it is, but that is not the practical case. And no, they should not have known better. That's tone policing. To you it may mean that, but it does not mean that to someone else. Your feelings are fair on it, but don't expect that your own feeling on it will apply to everyone nor that will it is the de facto meaning. Most people, especially outside of gaming use the term with zero relation to changes in video games. And in gaming, outside of this forum and some sites (which can be very insular), it is still used more often than not to have a laugh at people who are are just bonkers. Now just because GG bastardized the term to complain about progressive developers, does not mean they own it; because GG would have to actually matter for that to happen and they don't matter.

So we will have to agree to disagree.

Ah right, here in the UK the term "PC (Political Correctness) Brigade" is an analogous term that's been around since the 90s at least, I guess your term sort of superseded it once it spread across the internet.

At the end of the day, both conservatives and liberals are mock worthy when they behave in ridiculous or counterproductive fashions. My father, who is now retired, did civil law and was heavily involved in activism and social justice, but he would always say that there were segments of progressives who would do more harm than good because they lacked maturity, perspective and actual real world experience beyond their bubble.

Jazzkokehead

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't dislike the memes in Guacamelee since the story wasn't meant to be at all taken seriously. That being said, I wouldn't mind the sequel cutting them because I think Drinkbox deserves better than to be thought of as only doing memes. Severed had an incredibly good narrative, and some of the jokes in Guacamelee that weren't memes managed to get a chuckle out of me.

Nah. You can have clever and amusing dialog without mentioning whatever meme happens to be popular that day. Resorting to meme references is cheap humor that the game absolutely did not need to have - it had enough strengths on its own to carry itself.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yep! Saw this, turned the game off and uninstalled. Disgraceful.

Yeah, it was pretttyyy bad, but that's Japan. Seems like nothing will get them to change their stance on homosexuality.

....however, you should still play Persona 5. Its still a great game...

cocksucker isn't a homophobic slur

Yeah, I don't understand where the hate for that is coming from. I've never heard it used as a homophobic slur.