• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
JUuDfd8.jpg

When this random 404 reference appeared from nowhere in Battle Chef Brigade, I started to really doubt the writing. Am I in for more random references or memes presented as comedy?

Which lines of dialogue, or random references, do you recall harming your opinion of a game and it's creators?

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any joke in Borderlands/Borderlands 2. Will happily get Borderlands 3 for the good coop gameplay but the dialogue is rough.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
I have very little patience for "funny" characters that aren't funny at all, like Tatsu in XCX or Bienfu in Tales of Berseria. Hearing boring food jokes or "BIEEEEEEEEN" over and over and over is so tiresome.

I also have little patience listening to otaku losers talking about how much they like 2D girls more than real girls, creepy pop idol comments and stuff like that, like in the beginning of Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. It's just ewwwww.

Meme stuff usually annoys me too, but it can be done rather well, like in Super Paper Mario or Guacamelee!

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love every SMT game I've ever played but I fucking hate some of the demon dialogue - not everyone has to act like a Divine class with their formal grandiose dialogue, but I don't need want to see characters say things like 'Yo, I'm Koppa Tengu'.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have very little patience for "funny" characters that aren't funny at all, like Tatsu in XCX or Bienfu in Tales of Berseria. Hearing boring food jokes or "BIEEEEEEEEN" over and over and over is so tiresome.

I also have little patience listening to otaku losers talking about how much they like 2D girls more than real girls, creepy pop idol comments and stuff like that, like in the beginning of Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. It's just ewwwww.

Meme stuff usually annoys me too, but it can be done rather well, like in Super Paper Mario or Guacamelee!
I loved hearing Bienfu's "BIIIIIEEEEEEEEE-HEHEHEEEEEN." Cute voice and it was overall adorable for me :P.

It stood out like a sore thumb in RE7, but when I heard Marguerite say "faggot," it kind of soured me on the game's writing a bit. To my knowledge, RE has never used slurs like that and it definitely made me "=/" because it just felt so sudden and WTF for me as a gay dude in one of my favorite franchises.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I didn't hate the gameplay too much (just a major step down from DMC3 and 4), but any cutscene/dialog in that game was atrocious.

Let's not forget the sniper rifle abortion.
I enjoyed the gameplay (though it's nowhere near 3 and 4, but if you told me if it was by Platinum I'd believe it) but everything else really fell flat. I don't remember the sniper rifle abortion and a part of me is telling me not to YouTube it.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I love every SMT game I've ever played but I fucking hate some of the demon dialogue - not everyone has to act like a Divine class with their formal grandiose dialogue, but I don't need want to see characters say things like 'Yo, I'm Koppa Tengu'.
Eh I kind of love how irreverent it is. It's a goofy contrast, and it lightens the mood a bit.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any reference to "Say hello to my little friend!" from Scarface makes me cringe so hard. Any sort of popular meme instantly dates the game too, so those always lower a game in my mind too.

Oh, and any time the word "feces" is used in a joke just makes my skin crawl. The game Manual Samuel used that as a "punchline" so many times I just wanted to scream.

Darth Finky Spunky

Banned for using alt accounts
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most basketball games, it's usually just players shouting random shit like "mismatch" or "oh I got it!".

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
In the original PSX version of Final Fantasy Tactics I rolled my eyes hard when Wiegraf lectures you about atheism and the IMMEDIATEDLY uses a holy relic to turn into a demon from the church's mythology he was swearing does not exist one second ago.

They somewhat improved his speech in the War of the Lions version.

That bit is also pretty much when the story in general goes to shit (shifting into the whole thousand year evil thing and away from the political intrigue) but i still love that game so damn much.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the gameplay (though it's nowhere near 3 and 4, but if you told me if it was by Platinum I'd believe it) but everything else really fell flat. I don't remember the sniper rifle abortion and a part of me is telling me not to YouTube it.

I think they were going to trade Kat with the woman who carried Mundus' child and Vergil shoots her, killing her and the unborn child.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have a good opinion about the game to begin with, but after hearing the line "I've got two balls here and none of them are crystal" in Hydrophobia: Prophecy, it made me scream "GAAAAAAAAAAAARBAAAAAAGEEEEEE".

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I generally really liked Va11-Hall-A but this weird "SJW" joke felt out of place and put a bad taste in my mouth

XSiJpYF.jpg

723wdnS.jpg

In a game that is otherwise really progressive and inclusive, it seemed like a really weird bit of commentary that didn't fit.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't like bad jokes, lazy references, or homophobic garbage. All of that had been covered in this thread already, I see.

DmC's "Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!" thing.
I despise the word "tryhard" but that scene fits it perfectly.
This.

One of the many awful lines that comes to mind is, "The world is your bitch, as am I."

The game is full of bad dialogue.

Jazzkokehead

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The meme references in Guacamelee. Completely unnecessary in an otherwise decent game. Like, the game is good enough on it's own that they add absolutely nothing to it - they only serve to detract.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
The meme references in Guacamelee. Completely unnecessary in an otherwise decent game. Like, the game is good enough on it's own that they add absolutely nothing to it - they only serve to detract.
Yeah someone above said they are done well and I was hoping someone would point them out cause they ruin the game for me

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It stood out like a sore thumb in RE7, but when I heard Marguerite say "faggot," it kind of soured me on the game's writing a bit. To my knowledge, RE has never used slurs like that and it definitely made me "=/" because it just felt so sudden and WTF for me as a gay dude in one of my favorite franchises.

Urgh. This is awful. Games that use slurs to feign mature scriptwriting need to check themselves.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I never understood why video games can't have good dialogue. Even games that are highly critically acclaimed lack in this area.
This is why I, honestly, appreciate Telltale games. I think they one of the best dialogue writers in video games.
Also, this is one of the reasons I appreciate Arkham Origins. It had way more mature dialogue than City and Asylum.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I dropped Guacamelee after 20-30 minutes because I found the memes and arbitrary references unbearable.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Let's not act like the original script is any good with Corrin drugging Soleil to like him.

Won't deny that, I even agree with you that some of the original supports are bad, the story as a whole is horrible. Still, the localization leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I would rather prefer it to have a more literal translation, and maybe keep the remove content.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I loved hearing Bienfu's "BIIIIIEEEEEEEEE-HEHEHEEEEEN." Cute voice and it was overall adorable for me :P.

She says that ?

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I generally really liked Va11-Hall-A but this weird "SJW" joke felt out of place and put a bad taste in my mouth

XSiJpYF.jpg
I have no idea who they thought this joke was for. I remembered when this launched and the SJW jokes, 'white knight' and 4chan references made me want nothing to do with the game.

Any developer so glib about people facing abuse deserves giving a wide berth.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
All of the writing in Paper Mario: Color Splash was off-putting to me. It just seems way too mean spirited, reference-laden or overly irreverent for a Mario game. It's like it actively wanted me to think there were no stakes and nothing mattered. Here's an example, but it's more of a thing that builds up over time rather than specific lines.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another one.

Two Worlds

Intro cutscene, moody, mysterious, second line of dialogue: "it's just a flesh wound"

Uninstaled.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017

I don't dislike the memes in Guacamelee since the story wasn't meant to be at all taken seriously. That being said, I wouldn't mind the sequel cutting them because I think Drinkbox deserves better than to be thought of as only doing memes. Severed had an incredibly good narrative, and some of the jokes in Guacamelee that weren't memes managed to get a chuckle out of me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
All of the writing in Paper Mario: Color Splash was off-putting to me. It just seems way too mean spirited, reference-laden or overly irreverent for a Mario game. It's like it actively wanted me to think there were no stakes and nothing mattered. Here's an example, but it's more of a thing that builds up over time rather than specific lines.
Because the game has no original characters, so the jokes can't actually gave to do with characters and the story.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
"That Wizard came from the moon" in the 1st destiny alpha made me contain my excitement that this is going to be a persistent online FPS with mass effect qualities of dialogue.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Thing about these memes -
1: Game development and platform licensing takes time and they're probably already old by the time it releases.
2: They're not funny in the first place.
3: They REALLLLLY date the game or become irrelevant for future players.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Constant generic light vs dark statements in the plot for Final Fantasy III DS had me return the game very quickly.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Any sort of meme reference.
- Unnecessary swearing, especially just for dramatic effect.
- Unnecessary ellipsis. "People... just don't... talk like this."

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I went to go check, and she doesn't say faggot, but cocksucker... which isn't any better. It's easy to miss if you interrupt her dialogue during the fight because it cuts her off if you shoot, but I screencapped this:

7334703302.png

Not gonna lie, Margaritte's Sass makes RE7 for me (and Jack's for that matter)

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pretty much any time a character's only contribution to a dialogue is to just say the other character's name with some ellipses.

Who even talks like that? They're better off just saying nothing.