• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
I generally really liked Va11-Hall-A but this weird "SJW" joke felt out of place and put a bad taste in my mouth

XSiJpYF.jpg

723wdnS.jpg

In a game that is otherwise really progressive and inclusive, it seemed like a really weird bit of commentary that didn't fit.

A dystopian future where people have dissenting opinions sometimes. The horror.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I'm a little confused here. There's a difference between being pro-gamergate/controlling ethical conduct in journalism vs being pro-racist/sexist/anti-progressive.

While the vast majority of people who were gamergaters were horrible people, the core message that a few people were trying to get at was "morally right."

What kind of reference did Postal 2 have about it?
Ethics in Game journalism is a dog whistle the same way "being though on crime" is for wanting to implement racist policies. It all started from an ex boyfriend slandering a game developer.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
The writing in Boarderlands 2 and any game that thinks it's funny to fill your shit with memes. Because that's never great and always lazy.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've seen Undertale mentioned a lot in these kinds of threads but I haven't played it yet. For those that are curious like me, what exactly is the humour and homages?

It's like most dialogues are references to other historical franchises like Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda and stuff. I didn't catch them all when I was playing but every time a text pops up you get the feel that you read that somewhere else or doesn't really fit in context and on top of that, it tends to follow up the reference with a joke.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
When Garrus and other people in Mass Effect 3 started pandering to our memes with "Calibration" jokes, I did not find it funny whatsoever, just cheap and in the place of proper dialogue.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I outright thought that
W. D. Gaster
was a parody of creepypasta characters due to hitting all the cliches of one.

Considering that
the announcement of Deltarune was written in all caps like Gaster's secret diary entry, and the version number of the DR exe is a Gaster reference
It would appear that they are a serious character. I'm not really impressed tbh.

Wait, then again that Undertale thing isn't even a speed bump compared to this. Jesus fucking christ. These "jokes" are frankly unforgivable because they punch DOWN and make fun of gay people. Like, on the level of they'd have to make a gay as fuck Persona game to even APPEAR sorry.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, then again that Undertale thing isn't even a speed bump compared to this. Jesus fucking christ. These "jokes" are frankly unforgivable because they punch DOWN and make fun of gay people. Like, on the level of they'd have to make a gay as fuck Persona game to even APPEAR sorry.
It's a "once an episode" deal with the Persona series, sadly. Ever since that new director took over with P3, there's been at least one tasteless queerphobic joke. In P3, one of your party members calls a trans man a "cute girl" (or something along those lines), P4 features the protagonists mocking a trans woman who forgot to shave, and P5 has this duo of gay men who are implied to attempt to sexually assault Ryuji on two occasions (and you just let it happen, because it's supposed to be a joke in the eyes of the writers).

This is after Persona 2 allowed the protagonist to pursue a relationship with a remarkably well-written gay character.

Don't look up what Catherine did to their sole trans woman, especially not in the remake.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I haven't played Persona 5, but I don't get it. Are these gay npcs?
Yup. Extremely creepy, pedophilic ones, and the only gay ones in the game. They hit on your player and his friend. Keep in mind that you can only play as a male, and only "for real" date women, including your fucking teacher IIRC, so it's not like this is a gay-supportive game except for these two bozos.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I went to go check, and she doesn't say faggot, but cocksucker... which isn't any better. It's easy to miss if you interrupt her dialogue during the fight because it cuts her off if you shoot, but I screencapped this:

7334703302.png

I completely get where you are coming from as I think the initial intention of that slur was used as an "emasculating" insult but these days I think it's just used in a more angry way to insult someone who may like to perform that act, basically calling them dirty or disgusting for doing so, irrespective of gender.

Regardless of that however the insult makes no sense in that game or scene and is a pretty pointless insult in general, so it's bad writing anyway tbh.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I completely get where you are coming from as I think the initial intention of that slur was used as an "emasculating" insult but these days I think it's just used in a more angry way to insult someone who may like to perform that act, basically calling them dirty or disgusting for doing so, irrespective of gender.

Regardless of that however the insult makes no sense in that game or scene and is a pretty pointless insult in general, so it's bad writing anyway tbh.

I mean, you don't get to redefine a homophobic insult. In the same way when people tried to claim that calling things 'gay' wasnt Homophobic, you cannot get away from the core fact it's an insult entirely based around denigrating someone for performing a gay sex act. Also the idea that you think it's 'better' because now it just refers to them being dirty or disgusting is just strange to me because that's just as bad if not worse?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't ruin it, but boy do I hate Final Fantasy XIV's constant fan service at the expense of its own identity.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I mean, you don't get to redefine a homophobic insult. In the same way when people tried to claim that calling things 'gay' wasnt Homophobic, you cannot get away from the core fact it's an insult entirely based around denigrating someone for performing a gay sex act. Also the idea that you think it's 'better' because now it just refers to them being dirty or disgusting is just strange to me because that's just as bad if not worse?

I wasn't trying to redefine it or justify it I apologise if it came across that way.

I certainly would never defend the usage of the word gay as a slur either, I am not even defending the usage of c***sucker, hence why I said it's a pointless insult.

I was saying that, I don't think people who use it these days are aware of the historical context of it's usage or the original intention as a homophobic slur, I think people are fully aware that the term gay when used as a slur is a clear homophobic insult, even if they deny knowing that it is or try to defend it and they are well aware of its historical usage.

The term we are talking about "c***sucker" is ambiguous, it can be used, irrespective of gender and oral sex isn't exclusive to a particular gender or sexuality, the insult is pointless however because why should anybody be ashamed of performing oral sex? It's a ridiculous insult as far as I am concerned just very childish.

I also never said it was better, where did I say that? I don't remember saying that, I would never say that, I think I wrote that I believe people use it as a general insult now without being aware of the origins of its usage, I didn't say it was better, as a matter of fact I even said it was a pointless insult and bad writing.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Pretty much all of the writing in Life is Strange had my eyes rolling into orbit. That being said I'm a person who hates pop culture references or modern colloquialisms in any writing, be it movies, books or games.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Many of the "bad translation catchphrases" that take me out of the game really quickly

You're a hundred years too early
Sorry to make you wait
Take care of me (as a replacement for "nice to meet you")
It can't be helped

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Anytime a little girl says onii-chan in a Japanese game I immediately question the writing.

Trails of Cold Steel has great and horrible writing because of dumb anime shit like this
I didn't know there were official game localisations that kept that term untranslated, i thought it was relegated to amateur anime fansubs...jeez.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Also, I find "god(s) speech" just being King James Bible language to be rather stereotypical and boring. I know BOTW and Octopath Traveler recently engaged in this.

Aug 29, 2018
There is a part in dead cells where someone is hanging themselves and after saying "a moment for the dead" or something along those lines your character like snickers, says nobody has time for that, and kicks the body

Although it was the only overly edgy dialogue I remember, the fact that the dev would put that in painted my entire vision of the tone of his game

Aug 29, 2018
Urgh. This is awful. Games that use slurs to feign mature scriptwriting need to check themselves.
I loved hearing Bienfu's "BIIIIIEEEEEEEEE-HEHEHEEEEEN." Cute voice and it was overall adorable for me :P.

It stood out like a sore thumb in RE7, but when I heard Marguerite say "faggot," it kind of soured me on the game's writing a bit. To my knowledge, RE has never used slurs like that and it definitely made me "=/" because it just felt so sudden and WTF for me as a gay dude in one of my favorite franchises.
Serious question, why is it okay for a movie to reference a bad person saying "faggot" but not for a video game? Margaret is not supposed to be like a woke character by any stretch, in fact the opposite. It isnt quite the same as the dev making like a gamergate nod, doesnt necessarily represent dev at all. Not calling you wrong for being uncomfortable with it but just curious

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
Yeah I feel this with some of the references and jokes Danganronpa pulls. I remember groaning at a "fakes news" reference that already feels dated.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands 2 and TPS's dialogue and popculture references are all so awful. I'm playing BL 1 and it is a night and day difference how much better the writing is.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There is a part in dead cells where someone is hanging themselves and after saying "a moment for the dead" or something along those lines your character like snickers, says nobody has time for that, and kicks the body

Although it was the only overly edgy dialogue I remember, the fact that the dev would put that in painted my entire vision of the tone of his game
The prisoner in Dead Cells generally comes off as a Dead Pool style person. He just doesn't consider it all as serious as the mortal people do.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, why is it okay for a movie to reference a bad person saying "faggot" but not for a video game? Margaret is not supposed to be like a woke character by any stretch, in fact the opposite. It isnt quite the same as the dev making like a gamergate nod, doesnt necessarily represent dev at all. Not calling you wrong for being uncomfortable with it but just curious
I never mentioned movies, but since you brought it up, I'd have the same reaction. Same for books. It's just lowbrow writing that rarely adds anything, especially in movies, where there's less time develop all character traits. If it ever does add anything, it's rare; usually we're already beaten to death with how terrible the character is, or it's a coming out movie where the closeted protagonist deals with homophobia, so it's bound to come up by association.

This is the only instance that I remember it happening in RE7--I didn't play the DLC. Nothing came of it, nothing prompted it, and all it did was make me think less of the writing, not spiral into some in-depth character study of margarite and ponder, "Why would this character say this?". It just came and went and left me feeling like I got a small slap in the face because I have no time for blasé homophobia in games.

Again, RE had never used this kind of language before, so it just came out of left field. That's mainly the underlying problem I had with it because it's one of my favorite series, and not necessarily because I felt offended by the word. It just took me out of the game and made me roll my eyes.

I'm not really interested in a character study, either, from me or anyone. Something something "South" "infection" is all I imagine coming up. The character deserves it less than the writing.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
When the protagonist in Scalebound told his dragon "Use your words!", I gave up any hope for that game right then and there.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
When the protagonist in Scalebound told his dragon "Use your words!", I gave up any hope for that game right then and there.
Is this some sort of slur that is used against disabled people that I don't know of, or do you just mean "I could tell that this is the kind of unserious humor this game will partake in and I don't like it"?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Almost every bit of text in The Messenger made me hate it more than what came before it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands 2 and TPS's dialogue and popculture references are all so awful. I'm playing BL 1 and it is a night and day difference how much better the writing is.
Let's hope BL3 strikes a healthy balance. I wouldn't mind BL2's style of world and character design, married to BL1's tone and overall flavor.

Freelance7

Dec 20, 2018
I never thought a game would put me off exclusively because of its dialogue.

Then I played Sunset Overdrive.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Is this some sort of slur that is used against disabled people that I don't know of, or do you just mean "I could tell that this is the kind of unserious humor this game will partake in and I don't like it"?

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so I'm going to say your second theory fits better. I immediately thought of "How do you do, fellow kids?" when I heard it in the trailer.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so I'm going to say your second theory fits better. I immediately thought of "How do you do, fellow kids?" when I heard it in the trailer.
Ah, ok. Judging from some other types of bad writing in this thread, it being some sort of insenitive joke wouldn't have surprised me.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I didn't think highly of Lords of Shadow's writing in the first place. I mean. I think they featured a journal entry where the person wrote "oh no... someone's coming" to try and indicate that whoever wrote it was killed.

But I was REALLY put off when a journal entry literally said at the end "I can now say I know that the cake is a lie"

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Take care of me (as a replacement for "nice to meet you")
This is because of the equivalent phrase in Japanese, "yoroshiku onegaishimasu," which has a myriad of contextual meanings, and when used as a greeting between people, especially in introductions and first time encounters, the meaning conveyed is along the lines of "'Please treat me kindly" or "I'm in your care." It's a very loaded, magical phrase with many meanings and that's the feeling being conveyed. It's super polite and very formal.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely love BOTW but the pedophile sidequest is just, ugh why Nintendo? I'm surprised it's not mentioned in these threads more often. I realize it's 100% optional so not everyone did it but I just don't know why it's there. For those who don't know what I am talking about, there is a sidequest where you unite two pen pal lovers. A 37 year old Hylian man and a 100 year old Zora girl/woman. You can probably guess she doesn't look 100, apparently Zoras don't get adult bodies until around 200 years old, she looks 5. So, yeah that's a thing.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I'm playing Zelda 2 for the first time ever right now. And the dialogue in general is pretty bad. Firstly, the grammar sucks
Secondly, they're required to figure out the game, and it's just a bit too cryptic for my liking.