• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
This is incorrect, platform is Windows.
I can't run this on my PC without messing around with wine at least.

I got excited for a second then I scrolled down and saw system requirements.
In '97 I skipped school for a month to play this.

Guess I'll buy it anyway and run it through wine but the platform is still incorrect! :)

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet! I was thinking about downloading this from Abandonware, but I will happily pay for an officially supported version.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Opeth was actually around before D1 :P

Hmm, for some reason I was thinking Orchid was released in '96 and Diablo at the end of '95. I meant it in the way that something becomes well known though. Opeth as a band existed years before any album was released. It's not until Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse anyway where they ended up with a similar sound to the Tristram theme. I think I read somewhere also that either Uelmen liked Akerfeldt, or the other way around too.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Love this. If you want to run the game in 60fps and improve it a bit, I recommend using Belzebub mod. It's probably best used when you have experience from the game. It doesn't mod too much in my opinion but there are some changes here and there. https://quasit.blogspot.com/2018/11/diablo-1-hd-mod-belzebub.html
Currently doing a run (on and off for couple of months now) and it's been amazing. Diablo has such a great atmosphere.

Thanks for this! Just bought on GOG and going to try this mod.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
Original Tristam song is one of, if not, the finest single atmospheric music track in video games. Matt Uelmen, where are you :c

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Loved this so much. My legit dragons ring of wizardry was my precious.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I'll re-post what I said from the announced thread:

After playing the first few levels this is a sweet treat for someone like me who bought and played the game when it was first released. It's slow, atmospheric, danger around every corner, it's perfect. Huge props to Blizzard and GOG for this. :)

Baroni

Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely at the top of the list of Windows 95 games that you wished they re-released for Modern PC's. Played it for about an hour, (never played any Diablo Game) and am enjoying it so far. I see myself playing this into the night after I get home from work.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Wonder if my PC can run it.

hHit9Tl.gif

Do you have a double speed CD ROM? I'm old enough to remember these days well. LOL

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the logistics that this released outside of battle net or a blizzard launcher? Is it unprecedented?
I look at it as blizzard games before Starcraft 1 didn't have a cdkey, so Diablo 1, Warcraft 1 and 2 have no way to tell if you own the game so since gog has an existing infrastructure. It makes sense to put Diablo 1 on it. Any of these that get remastered will be on blizzards launcher. I bet we will see Warcraft 1 and 2 soon as well on gog.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I look at it as blizzard games before Starcraft 1 didn't have a cdkey, so Diablo 1, Warcraft 1 and 2 have no way to tell if you own the game so since gog has an existing infrastructure. It makes sense to put Diablo 1 on it. Any of these that get remastered will be on blizzards launcher. I bet we will see Warcraft 1 and 2 soon as well on gog.
That would be pretty sweet. I hope this isn't a one off.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can I dupe in this? I never beat it legit.

Had a million Obsidian Ring of the Zodiacs though

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Does this version have all the different difficulties or was that only Hellfire?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, did anyone beat the game as a Rogue or Sorc legit I'm talking no cheats or multiplayer. It would seem impossible to me. Sorcs get one shotted way too easily and Rogues took forever to kill anything even with Windforce. It's like Warrior was the only way to go, not only could you wear the heaviest armor, but that also let you equip the highest damaging weapons

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I haven't played this game for almost two decades... and every sound effect, song, and especially piece of dialogue is coming straight back to me the instant it pops up. Amazing. I'm able to recite all of the dialogue so far in my head as its happening.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, did anyone beat the game as a Rogue or Sorc legit I'm talking no cheats or multiplayer. It would seem impossible to me. Sorcs get one shotted way too easily and Rogues took forever to kill anything even with Windforce. It's like Warrior was the only way to go, not only could you wear the heaviest armor, but that also let you equip the highest damaging weapons

No joke, Sorc is actually the single best class by far because of a few broken mechanics and spells, such as (spoiler if you don't want any hints about that)
the mana shield spell.

By contrast, the warrior might seem like the obvious class at first, but pretty you'll realize in horror that the way the game deals with shield blocking is horrible. Every time you block an enemy attack with your shield, you get blockstun. So if you're surrounded by enemies, it becomes very hard to do anything because you're essentially stuck in this blocking loop.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I beat it with a Rogue in Single Player back when it first released. It remember it being a bit tedious sometimes, because I had to keep running away and firing from a distance. Beating Diablo himself was only possible for me by first carefully luring his acolytes away one by one without triggering him. As you can tell I was really bad at this game and still managed to beat it.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Can't fucking wait to jump in. One of the all time greatest games, would love to see Diablo go back to having that type of atmosphere.

The sorc is easy mode basically. It's by far the most powerful character and it's not even close.

I'm a lot of ways I actually thought the warrior was the hardest.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just watching a streamer play this and the music was all jacked up. Was that just something on his end, or does the direct x version have some sound issues?

I mealy pissed myself at the announcement.

I was ten when it released. I was holding to my magazine review all they years.

The magazine I was reading went with me on the river down and since the barrel with clothes and stuff was not properly tightened, there got a little water that got the magazine wet. I still have the magazine.

This is amazing. I love this. I can't believe it is happening.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I can already hear those menacing drums pounding from the deep dungeons...

This is the game that solidified me as a PC gamer even though I still played console stuff too. When I first moved to a new area a lifetime ago our neighbor's kid showed me og Diablo. Had never seen anything like it before and that soundtrack + art style had me immediately hooked. That dark atmosphere made everything look like child's play in comparison. Really wish Blizzard was able to retain that feel in III but something definitely got lost in the transition to 3d models. Perhaps there are other Diablo alikes that managed to come closer but I haven't seen any.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird they mention DRM and cd keys because my experience with the (Mac) game was that there wasn't any cd key required. That's why Diablo players had limited access to channels on battle.net to reduce their use for spam bots.
Just going by memory and not looking it up, godly plate of the whale? maybe ? lol
Zodiac?

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Just did a play through of this with some friends a few months ago.

Having been the only one who had played it, I hyped up the Butcher and he ended up being a pushover. Leoric on the other hand! We had a solid hour of running around his level getting slaughtered by him again and again.

In the end, some guy from Serbia randomly joined our game and helped us fight Diablo. Good times.

Besides a few little things, the game still holds up.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I love Diablo 1 and 2. Classic games with an outstanding atmosphere and setting along with great satisfying combat and a equally great loot system. I love how in those games unique and legendary items are actually rare. You don't get better gear showed in your face every minute like in Diablo 3 and so many other modern loot games.
Imagine if Diablo 1 and 2 were released today. People would scream their lungs out in anger "I've been playing for over 2 hours and didn't get a single legendary!!!!" And "Why did a item drop for a rogue when I was playing as a warrior?!!!!"

Feb 12, 2019
I bought it only to be quickly reminded that Diablo is probably the single worst game to play when one has a chronic repetitive stress injury in their right arm. Still worth it, probably.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game is so archaic and plays so different than modern Diablo games. No damage numbers, no big cool effects, it is slow af etc.
And still, I'm having a blast. I really wish hold button to attack would be a thing though. My right hand went numb from all the clicking (old man syndrome).
And yes Balzebub fixes that, but it's not Diablo 1.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is incorrect, platform is Windows.
I can't run this on my PC without messing around with wine at least.

I got excited for a second then I scrolled down and saw system requirements.
In '97 I skipped school for a month to play this.

Guess I'll buy it anyway and run it through wine but the platform is still incorrect! :)
When PC is used it is used to signify windows. Usually you see platforms: PC/Mac/Linux...etc.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely sad to report that the game is still 4:3. There's no option to see more on the left and right sides of the screen. I don't need the game to be higher resolution but I would have liked the option to play in 4:3 as designed, or in 16:9.

Also would like a mod where I can hold down the attack button and have the character keep attacking like in D2. That would have been a nice quality of life fix.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
I'm so excited to replay this again without having to do some Dosbox sorcery or Windows emulation nonsense. Very curious to see how it aged.

The forced 4:3 makes sense given how absurd getting many games not designed for modern resolutions up to that spec; especially since Diablo is SVGA.

Would also love an HD approach to it, but I'd much rather have that effort put to whatever Diablo 4 and/or a D2HD remaster could be.