• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
RzV9YOe.png

CnGAlyN.png

Traveler, stay awhile and listen…

Platform(s): PC (Windows)
Release Date:
(GOG) March 7th 2019​
(Original) December 31st, 1996​
Genre: Action RPG
Price: $9.99 USD
Player(s): 1-4
Format: Digital
Developer/Publisher: Blizzard

FAQ

What is this game?
Diablo is an action RPG where you descend into a randomly generated dungeon, growing your character with experience and loot, in order to confront the Prime Evil, Diablo.

How does it play?
You direct your character (either a Warrior, Sorcerer or Rogue) from an isometric perspective with your mouse (like controlling a unit in an RTS). As your character grows in experience you will be able to unlock new skills to supplement your standard attacks with hotkeys.

What's new with the GOG release?
The GOG listing of Diablo removes the existing DRM (no CD-key required) and comes with two versions of the game. The first is the original release with a minor tweak to preserve its 4:3 aspect ratio on modern screens and the second is a, GOG built, DirectX version. The game is now supported on Windows 7, 8 and 10.

That DirectX version allows for visual changes (different kinds of scaling, MSAA, resolutions and refresh rates) to customise how the game is treated on your monitor.

Does the DirectX version use new assets or support higher gameplay framerates?
No. While you can change how those visuals are scaled to your screen you are still going to be playing with the original SVGA graphics at 20FPS.

Can I still play online?
Yes but to access the servers for Diablo the original version of the game must be used and tweaks to your router's ports must be made…

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7842

Only LAN is supported in the DirectX release.

Does this come with the "Hellfire" Expansion?
The update was added to the game on June 5th, 2019.

Why is this not on the Blizzard launcher?
The original Diablo is not compatible with the "Battle.net stack" and thus cannot be sold there (it is incompatible with the modern infrastructure of that platform).

Aside from the game what's included in this release?
You get a digital copy of the game's original manual and a FLAC/MP3 release of the Diablo soundtrack.

*Apparently the OST was only for preview purposes.

Hardware Specifications?
Minimum system requirements:
System: Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
DirectX: DirectX 9
Storage: 1 GB available hard disk space

I'm a new player to the game. Any good starting guides?
Aside from reading the included manual, this guide from levelskip contains some good information for new players.

https://levelskip.com/rpgs/Diablo-Tips-and-Tricks-for-Beginners

What about Warcraft 1/2
Both those games will be coming to GOG at some point in the future.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/warcraft-1-and-2-will-be-releasing-on-gog-com.103923/

Media

ce13ab0a63774a3be0bc55a2577eee2514f0c813ec12f140bdec7745d1cd0995.jpg
a5266880542f3488e55b5da89f8cdf8cd5e8919632b4db5b5ede29b88e0d73c2.jpg

4e67d3a517d5cb359024da0c1421d063d61be087de7716d58499c7f9190f277e.jpg
0007bbecab904ac718513f11031f3edf6c211b698aa9cda906bfbb3389e193e8.jpg

Reviews
Metacritic - 94

Gamespot - 9.7/10
A title that combines the elegant simplicity of an action game and the addictive storyline of an adventure game with the personalization and exploratoration of an old-school RPG... The best game to come out in the past year, and you should own a copy. Period.

Yahoo 10/10
A feast of atmospheric entertainment. While it might tire after a while, you'll likely get your money's worth long before that point, and moreso if you venture into the chaos that is Battle.net, where life takes on a whole new meaning and the hours slip mysteriously away. Diablo is a landmark game.

PCGamer 90/100
RPG fans have waited for this one for a long time, and they won't be disappointed.

Links
GOG
Arstechnica Article

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to jumping in to this.

Only ever played the PS1 version.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Required specs? Not sure this will run on my 2700x and 2080.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
At $10 it's worth checking out to see the origins of the LRPG genre.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Funnily enough I found a copy of this in a local thrift store last weekend and started playing it on my Win98 retro-PC. There's no CD-Key on my copy, it just works as long as the CD is in the drive. Would def. be interested in the DirectX version.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
It's been so long since I last played this. I might jump back in.

Oct 26, 2017
The hours spent playing through the demo with my friend back in the day. We'd never played anything like it.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Tip for new players who get the Butcher quest as their first quest (this will be most of you)- Don't open the door to his room till you clear out the rest of the floor (you can tell the Butchers room because there is a crazy amount of gore in it. Open the door, and lead him to an area that has grates in it's walls (that you can shoot arrows through), enter that room, and close the door behind you. The Butcher can't open doors, and will just stand there as you slowly shoot him with whatever shitty bow you have found until he dies

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Might pick this up. Diablo 2 was the first game I played in the loot stabber genre, so this might be an amusing look back.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
Anyone remember the name of the items that gave +whatever to all stats? Was it something something of the stars? I remember always trying to farm those, good memories.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to mess around with it for nostalgia sake. Thank you Blizzard and GOG.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Might pick this up to play for a bit. Haven't played it in years. Here's hoping an updated version of Diablo 2 comes soon-ish too.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone remember the name of the items that gave +whatever to all stats? Was it something something of the stars? I remember always trying to farm those, good memories.

Godly Plate of the Whale? I believe that was a non-legit item that was introduced through online hackers/players but I could be wrong as its been years since I followed this game.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does the DirectX version use new assets or support higher gameplay framerates?
No. While you can change how those visuals are scaled to your screen you are still going to be playing with the original SVGA graphics at 20FPS.

I'd like to go back to this, but I'm not sure if I can take that. The OG Diablo event in D3 got me feeling nostalgic lately, so I might try it later.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Waiting for Digital Foundry report about HDR, 4k/60 and Raytracing, otherwise no buy! ^^

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Here is a Tip:

Quests are randomly assigned at character creation.

For example the Poisoned Well quest. One way to force this quest is repeatedly start a new game until the Well in the center of town has yellow water instead of blue.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

There is a couple.

Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac was one such item. Godly Plate of the Whale or Mammoth was another one.

These are extremely rare suffix / prefixes and normally are never assigned together outside of altering your character with an editing program. The probability of getting these affixes on your gear are extremely improbable though.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
Must've been something of the Zodiac then. I was talking about rings that gave +something to all stats, was like 10 when I played Diablo so, never played online or used any program other than the game itself. I just loved dropping gold in town when I had no more inventory space, one of the GOAT sound effect after all these years...

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tip for new players who get the Butcher quest as their first quest (this will be most of you)- Don't open the door to his room till you clear out the rest of the floor (you can tell the Butchers room because there is a crazy amount of gore in it. Open the door, and lead him to an area that has grates in it's walls (that you can shoot arrows through), enter that room, and close the door behind you. The Butcher can't open doors, and will just stand there as you slowly shoot him with whatever shitty bow you have found until he dies

This shit gave me nightmares when I was 8y old.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I remember playing this when I was 10 or so... game legit terrified me. D2, while a more complex and I believe well-rounded game, always sidelined the horror element. I'm quite excited to dive back in and see if I can beat the game this time lol

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sweet! It got a Gog release? I've wanted to try out the first game for the last few years, but I didn't really want to have to buy a disc.

I always wondered why they never put it on Battle net, since they have other old Blizzard games on there like Starcraft and Diablo 2. I guess I got my answer in OP, but that still seems like a weird reason.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I have never played a Diablo game before, and couldn't be bothered with Battle.net just for that. Maybe this could be my jumping off point.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Still the best game in the series.

For atmosphere, yep. It was scary as fuck back then.

However, I think that D2 is the best. It took all the good ideas from D1 and added a bunch of even better stuff on top (along with a huge number of QoL updates). LoD made it even better. I spent so much time playing on Bnet with friends and would still fire it up for a few weeks every couple of years well into the 2010s. I was even just messing around with Median XL (a huge 3rd party mod with an alternate online infrastructure) a couple weeks ago.

Right now, a D2 remaster is pretty much at the top of my 'play on day one' list.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to jumping in to this.

Only ever played the PS1 version.

That's actually the first version I played, and god was it awful. The first version of Warcraft 2 that I played was also on the PSX and it was even worse. Ended up playing the Saturn version and eventually the PC version of WC2 as well as the PC version of Diablo. What a difference...

This, and the Diablo 2 version are still in my top three favorite video game songs list. This is some Opeth level shit before they were even a thing.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've forgotten that hold to attack was introduced with D2 and wasn't a thing in D1.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What are the logistics that this released outside of battle net or a blizzard launcher? Is it unprecedented?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
This is going to bring back so much nostalgia - was always a favourite for me and my friends to play even over 56k. Will have to see what we can do with this version co-op (or secretly competitive) for this re-release