• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
news.blizzard.com

Diablo IV Quarterly Update—December 2021

Learn more about itemization, Paragon updates, and the visual effects of Diablo IV in this next Quarterly Developer Update.

In Diablo IV, the +Skill Rank affix returns. As players invest points in skills, they grow in potency, and finding items with +Skill Rank can speed that along. As a bonus, when the player equips an item with +Skill Rank for a skill they haven't learned, they will have access to that new ability. It's a great way to try out new skills before you're able to invest in them. Getting a lucky drop that nets you a skill you'd like for your build ten levels before you would otherwise have access to it is a huge boost!

1KJ2FIFONK501639765826233.png

In Diablo IV, we have placed a heavy emphasis on build customization, ensuring that you can have plenty of control over how your hero grows. The Paragon Board unlocks for each class at level 50 and is a distillation of this focus. Your hero begins their journey through the Paragon system at the central starting tile of their class's intro board, and from there, you make selections radiating outward. Once your hero reaches a gate tile, you'll choose which new paragon board you would like to attach to at that location. The desired outcome is a personalized set of bonuses that will empower your hero and honor your dedication to their progression, that will remain fun to tweak and adjust over many playthroughs.

2RGSZ7OJGHB11639765827279.png

Much more at the link. Game seems to be coming together very well.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
D3 is my most played game of all time and I can't wait for this. Everything they've shown so far has looked great.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
despite my love for the series it's really, really hard to continue to be hyped and support this

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The paragon board seems like it's approaching parody levels of size and complexity

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally going to buy this, but knowing it is still years away and that so much will change between now and then, I have little to no interest in developer's logs so soon into the game's creation.

Honestly, I would rather know about a game a few weeks/months before it is released. Years in advance seems kind of silly.

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
The paragon board seems like it's approaching parody levels of size and complexity

Yeah, one thing I loved about D3 (and D2 to an extent considering how crazy ARPG games are these days) is its simplicity in build customization. This shit is getting out of control in newer ARPG games.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
the fact that blizz is stepping away from supporting macs is such a bummer. would have liked to have this on my laptop

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Paragon board def seems somewhat influenced by Dead by Daylight's Bloodwebs.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I didn't get into Path of Exile because their shit was overwhelming. Well, I guess everyone has to go the hyper-customization route now to support the GaaS lifestyle and with that I'm out (I was out before because Blizzard, but... eh)

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Can't wait. Hoping for another sale on D2 over Christmas because I never picked it up last time.

Oct 26, 2017
Beyond the company being terrible to their employees, this just seems like a terrible developer with very little skill for getting out product.

How are Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 taking this long to make.

Was there no actual plan for what the game would look like when they announced them.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the company being terrible to their employees, this just seems like a terrible developer with very little skill for getting out product.

Was there no actual plan for what the game would look like when they announced them.

Blizzard has always taken ages to release titles; even before their recent controversies.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
I like everything but i wish they turn down the number, it's so stupid to hit trillions of damage at the end.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Rod Fergusson is head of Diablo Franchise since 2020, if anything with him on board, the game is going to take less time than expected, he has the skill to bring projects to the finishing line as seen with Bioshock Infinite and the 3 Gears games released in 5 years.

mangobanana

Banned
Dec 4, 2021
I hope D4 doesn't get caught in the cycle that the next weapon needs more dps than the last.
This one is weird because Diablo 3 sold 30m and yet Blizzard treats it as a huge failure that they constantly apologize for.

Weird and bad company.

Because it was a failure. It was more WoW than Diablo. It ignored its own lore and rich history. The auction house was a mistake so bad they removed it. The game is now played mainly as a single player with no economy to speak of. No real end game to speak of for months. Build diversity was terrible. HC was a mess as you could die from so many bugs and lag from the game. Mainly due to server instability.

And the biggest failure of all, it didn't knock PoE from being the best arpg on the market.

Sure it sold insane amounts, but it didn't have the dominance they expected from one of their titles.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could be excited for anything Blizzard anymore, fuck em.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Funny you say this because I remember one of the big D3 complaints being how it was too colorful lol
Yeah, I remember that. I played a little D3 and didn't have a problem with that. I'd be more interested with a happy medium between D3 and in-progress D4. That being said, I am not the target audience. Maybe a decent mod that ups the saturation will be enough for me.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

OW2 is a noted disaster but it's known they only ever announced Diablo 4 to get the heat off and they only started in earnest designing the game very shortly before the announcement, so this timeline makes more sense for that title than OW2 at least.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
My very basic feedback is squash those numbers a bit. 2.5k DPS? Crits in the billions are cute but I feel like the numbers provide better feedback at human scale.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Shaping up really well, very pleased with all this
The spell effects and animations are awesome as well

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the rift system still exists. I love hopping into d3 and running some from time to time.

funny the complaints and here. I adore the change in art. It looks more like d1 and 2 that I love. I didn't hate d3s look but i never cared for it either. Very excited to see a push back towards economy and group play. World bosses should be fun!

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
On one hand I like they are borrowing & iterating on ideas from Path of Exile, since that is the superior game in the genre. On the other hand, I wish I didn't like their ideas, since the company is garbage and doesn't deserve any game purchases.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Man, Diablo IV is looking good. Wish I could play it.

I mean I won't because fuck Activision-Blizzard. Haven't even changed anything there since everything came out.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my that fire serpent Sorceress spell looked awesome! Also really like the Occultist mechanic they've introduced.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. It looks good. Activision better get their shit in order so I can buy this without feeling morally conflicted come the release date.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
It's a company that has engaged in decades worth of abuse and harassment towards women and other groups. They continue to be led by the same people who perpetrated that abuse encouraged hid, and hid it from others. They are fighting the legal remedy to resolve these issues and continue to attack staff and fight unionisation, whilst ignoring the requests staff groups have made. They are so bat that they couldn't even pay the woman they brought in to lead Blizzard following all the allegations the same as her male colleague.

Without massive, significant change in the leadership and culture I cannot justify buying their games no matter how good they might be. After a lifetime of loving and playing their games, I just can't do it anymore. I cannot give money to a company so abusive and appalling.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible the issues with Blizzard, but taken in isolation this game looks amazing, it almost looks like a game that could launch right now and still has >1 years to go.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sadly as much as I love diablo I'm unable to support this one. Even used I just feel gross even associating myself with Activision blizzard